PDA

View Full Version : Definition of a "real hiker"

aficion
01-10-2013, 12:16
Many posts I've perused refer to "real hikers". As it is a somewhat nebulous term, I am curious as to what individual members consider to be the qualifications of a "real hiker". Thanks.

Rasty
01-10-2013, 12:21
We did a poll a while back!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86365-Am-I-a-real-hiker&highlight=

atmilkman
01-10-2013, 12:24
A real hiker hangs his food bag in the shelters and tents off a ways so the critters don't bother him.

Omaha_Ace
01-10-2013, 12:30
My 5 year old daughter has over 250 trail miles, including 38 in a backpack in RMNP when she was 11 months old. She wants to go out pretty much every weekend, rain or shine. I'd call her a real hiker.

I'd say the split from a "hiker" to a "camper" to a "backpacker" is the ability to be self-sufficient for increasing amounts of time and ability to navigate terrain and adverse situations with decreasing aids. Hikers don't usually bring tents with them and typically stay on marked, well defined trails (IE: I could put my daughter on a trail at our local family-friendly hiking spot and she would know to follow the blazes back to the parking lot). Campers are almost never more than a day from a car but can be self-sufficient with the gear they brought with them as long as the situation remains within the constructs of that gear. Backpackers are capable of adapting to weather, terrain, adverse consumable availability, etc.

That's what it means to me I suppose, but as always, everyone will tell you to "HYOH" - Semper Gumby...

aficion
01-10-2013, 12:31
We did a poll a while back!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86365-Am-I-a-real-hiker&highlight=
Thanks. Shoulda known. Lots of very funny stuff there.

aficion
01-10-2013, 12:34
A real hiker hangs his food bag in the shelters and tents off a ways so the critters don't bother him.

Apparently. lol

bfayer
01-10-2013, 12:39
I wish I could answer your question. I can tell you why I'm not a real hiker:

I shave on the trail.
I carry a Jetboil.
I wear goretex shoes.
I have never, and most likely will never do a thru hike
I don't have a trail name.
I am a scout leader, and everyone knows scout leaders don't know their way around the woods.
I have been known to stay in shelters from time to time.
I have never mooned a train.
I day hike (gasp).
I don't hike 20+ miles a day.

That should do it. I think I am officially banned from being a real hiker for life. If anyone wants to discuss it in person, my son and I will be heading out to Rod Hollow this Saturday to enjoy the great weather, but we will be walking not actually hiking :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Mags
01-10-2013, 12:40
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?37459-How-to-be-a-real-hiker-OR-How-to-avoid-being-a-pack-sniffer

Lone Wolf
01-10-2013, 12:41
hikin' is just walkin'

aficion
01-10-2013, 12:44
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?37459-How-to-be-a-real-hiker-OR-How-to-avoid-being-a-pack-sniffer
Read that after Rasty's response. Priceless.

RedBeerd
01-10-2013, 12:46
Must have beard. Sorry ladies

bfayer
01-10-2013, 12:48
hikin' is just walkin'

LW, your giving me an identity crisis. I walk so I must be a hiker, but I stay in shelters so I can't be a hiker. This gets way to confusing sometimes. I think I need to go take a walk...I mean a hike... Oh whatever.

aficion
01-10-2013, 12:51
I've noticed real hikers can be both pithy and pissy.

bfayer
01-10-2013, 12:54
I've noticed real hikers can be both pithy and pissy.

Its the bipolar nature of hikin...I mean walking.

Rasty
01-10-2013, 12:57

And no fake beards like MAGS is advocating!

Cookerhiker
01-10-2013, 13:05

I shave on the trail.
I carry a Jetboil.
I wear goretex shoes.
I am a scout leader, and everyone knows scout leaders don't know their way around the woods.
I day hike (gasp).

That should do it. I think I am officially banned from being a real hiker for life. If anyone wants to discuss it in person, my son and I will be heading out to Rod Hollow this Saturday to enjoy the great weather, but we will be walking not actually hiking :)...

While I only meet half of your criteria, that's sufficient to consign me to the ranks of the non-true hikers also. Now I'll have to break the news to my fellow saunterers on this weekend's hike - excuse me: walk, romp, ramble, whatever - in the Red River Gorge (http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/dbnf/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5345319).

Drybones
01-10-2013, 13:38
Many posts I've perused refer to "real hikers". As it is a somewhat nebulous term, I am curious as to what individual members consider to be the qualifications of a "real hiker". Thanks.

A real hiker is one who joyfully wastes away thier life putting one foot in front of the other, often stumbling, occassionally falling.

Omaha_Ace
01-10-2013, 13:39
A real hiker is one who joyfully wastes away thier life putting one foot in front of the other, often stumbling, occassionally falling.

Yeah - this one works for me. Simple can be perfect sometimes.

Rasty
01-10-2013, 13:50
A "Real Hiker" cuts off the shovel handles at Shelters to use as a club to fend off the bearded ladies!

VT-Mike
Real hiker, one who travels under their own power unpaved surfaces through natural environments.

Bucketfoot
A real hiker is just somebody who likes to walk in the woods. no badges ,patches, certificates or documentation required.

Sarcasm the elf
01-10-2013, 13:58
hikin' is just walkin'Only if you're walking where it's okay to pee.

Drybones
01-10-2013, 14:03
Only if you're walking where it's okay to pee.

Yeah, my favorite quote...."Hikin's just walk'n where it's okay to pee, and old folks hike accidentally sometimes"....you gotta love the guy that came up with that one.

aficion
01-10-2013, 14:06
Yeah, my favorite quote...."Hikin's just walk'n where it's okay to pee, and old folks hike accidentally sometimes"....you gotta love the guy that came up with that one.
Old folks been known to hike and pee accidently simultaneously. Hope I live that long.

Sarcasm the elf
01-10-2013, 14:08
No such thing as a "real" hiker but since folks on this site like to argue about definitions, I'll throw this in:If you're trying to find a "real" hiker, look for someone with a lifelong passion for the outdoors, that hikes whenever they can, regardless of the weather or the season, and who does so however and for whatever reason they see fit.

For the sake of playing devil's advocate: I would also argue that if you hit springer mountain fresh out of college and walk to Maine, but then never go hiking again after that, it doesn't make you a real hiker.

Drybones
01-10-2013, 14:11
Old folks been known to hike and pee accidently simultaneously. Hope I live that long.

Made me recall Jeff asking Larry to make a sentence using the word European....Larry's response..."watch out, European on my foot".

Old Hiker
01-10-2013, 14:16

You haven't seen my mother-in-law's beard. She puts my beard to shame!

Oh, wait. You said "ladies". Never mind.

aficion
01-10-2013, 14:18
Made me recall Jeff asking Larry to make a sentence using the word European....Larry's response..."watch out, European on my foot".

Still laughin.

Drybones
01-10-2013, 14:21
You haven't seen my mother-in-law's beard. She puts my beard to shame!

Oh, wait. You said "ladies". Never mind.

You're pretty sharp today for an Old Hiker. (LOL)

MDSection12
01-10-2013, 14:28
I'm a real hiker when I'm really hiking. :cool:

JAK
01-10-2013, 14:52
'real' is highly subjective and context senstive

One could say "real" hikers don't hike the AT, or "real" hikers don't use any plastic gear or clothing, or food.
Sometimes its meant to be funny, which again is highly subjective and context sensitive.

Real hikers get my humour.

Creek Dancer
01-10-2013, 14:59
Wait...are we talking about "hikers" or "backpackers"?? There is a difference. :)

Rasty
01-10-2013, 15:14
'real' is highly subjective and context senstive

One could say "real" hikers don't hike the AT, or "real" hikers don't use any plastic gear or clothing, or food.
Sometimes its meant to be funny, which again is highly subjective and context sensitive.

Real hikers get my humour.

So real hikers only wear cotton and wool? It's the 1970's again

MDSection12
01-10-2013, 15:22
Wait...are we talking about "hikers" or "backpackers"?? There is a difference. :)

I've always wondered this. I used to be a 'hiker' in the day hiker sense, then I became a 'backpacker' but as I've gotten more into backpacking I've realized all the cool people just say 'hiker.' I'm so glad I have the internet to help me keep all these terms straight!

Lone Wolf
01-10-2013, 15:23
real hikers don't slackpack, use leki poles, carry cell phones, filter or treat water, use anything titanium, sleep in shelters take a canoe across the kennebec, hang food, weigh gear.........

bfayer
01-10-2013, 15:36
real hikers don't slackpack, use leki poles, carry cell phones, filter or treat water, use anything titanium, sleep in shelters take a canoe across the kennebec, hang food, weigh gear.........

Damm, now I'm totally screwed :-)

Wait, you and Warren Doyle agree on something ?

Rasty
01-10-2013, 15:52

Black Diamond polls are good then?

kyhipo
01-10-2013, 15:55
A real hiker is just somebody who likes to walk in the woods. no badges ,patches, certificates or documentation required.
sounds good,ky

Feral Bill
01-10-2013, 15:58
hikin' is just walkin' Thus Colin Fletcher's book, ​The Complete Walker

aficion
01-10-2013, 16:03

Well at least I used to be a real hiker. My favorite 2 liter pot is titanium. Shucks.

daddytwosticks
01-10-2013, 16:33
Well at least I used to be a real hiker. My favorite 2 liter pot is titanium. Shucks. You may not be a real hiker, but anyone who carries a titanium cookpot is a cool hiker in my book. :)

Sly
01-10-2013, 16:42
Real hikers don't need to ask advice.

johnnybgood
01-10-2013, 17:19
Real hikers make the best outa the worst with no sniveling.

hikerboy57
01-10-2013, 17:25
real hikers don't need to ask what a real hiker is.

Bucketfoot
01-10-2013, 17:48
Favorite real hiker quote. " Trail guide! We don't need no stinking trail guide!"

aficion
01-10-2013, 17:50
real hikers don't need to ask what a real hiker is.

As stated in original post I ask out of curiosity. Need has nothing to do with it.

Drybones
01-10-2013, 17:51

......wear underwear, use deodorant, use toilet paper, and will blow thier nose anywhere they choose.

hikerboy57
01-10-2013, 17:51
As stated in original post I ask out of curiosity. Need has nothing to do with it.

well in that case, nobody knows

aficion
01-10-2013, 17:55
well in that case, nobody knows

Um, maybe you did not understand the question. Looking for opinions here, and there do seem to be plenty. Thanks for sharing your thoughts though.

hikerboy57
01-10-2013, 17:59
Um, maybe you did not understand the question. Looking for opinions here, and there do seem to be plenty. Thanks for sharing your thoughts though.

i think rastys link has summed it up nicely.
a real hiker knows "proper trail etiquette" doesnt exist.but you find a way to get along with others or you keep hiking.

Schooley
01-10-2013, 18:08
real hikers don't need to ask what a real hiker is...and...real hikers don't care what a real hiker is???

Schooley
01-10-2013, 18:10
real hikers don't need to ask what a real hiker is....and...real hikers don't care what a real hiker is???

Schooley
01-10-2013, 18:12
today I might be a real cyber hiker! a drained a battery reading...er...hiking white blaze while bored at a convention for work!

hikerboy57
01-10-2013, 18:36
...and...real hikers don't care what a real hiker is???

no....................

HikerMom58
01-10-2013, 18:47
today I might be a real cyber hiker! a drained a battery reading...er...hiking white blaze while bored at a convention for work!

Ha Ha!! So glad u could be entertained! :) You're a real cyber hiker.. LOL

joshuasdad
01-10-2013, 18:58
...and...real hikers don't care what a real hiker is???

The first rule of Real Hiker Club is...Don't talk about Real Hiker Club!

hikerboy57
01-10-2013, 19:04
hey you can describe a sunset all day long. id rather see one. we're obsessed with labelling things.

Sarcasm the elf
01-10-2013, 19:05
Back when I was a kid, I would frequently take long trips down a trail to get to the good fishing spots. I guess that makes me a reel hiker :-0

Capt Nat
01-10-2013, 20:03
I am a real hiker, I have a hat that says so...

atmilkman
01-10-2013, 20:08
Well hell, that makes it official.

bfayer
01-10-2013, 20:13

I have a hat that says "Worlds Greatest Dad". If the hat says it, it must be true :) Than again I also have one that says "Over the Hill" so never mind.

I have to go tape over the brand name of my hiking poles now.

Cookerhiker
01-10-2013, 20:16

Wasn't your trail name at one time "The Yankee Slackpacker?" Yeah, yeah I now - it meant something different back then.

Black Diamond polls are good then?

Yes, I'm glad mine are BDs.

S'more
01-10-2013, 20:24

I'm sure I earned my hiker badge back in the day.

S'more
01-10-2013, 20:25
Only wear natural fabrics...

Drybones
01-10-2013, 20:25
I have a hat that says "Worlds Greatest Dad". If the hat says it, it must be true :) Than again I also have one that says "Over the Hill" so never mind.

I have to go tape over the brand name of my hiking poles now.

My hat says "worlds greatest lover"...off topic but I recalled a joke my bald boss's wife told him one noght. You know what they say about men bald in front...no...they're good thinkers. You know what they say about men bald in back...no...they think they're good lovers. You know what they say about men bald front and back...no...they think they're good lovers.

Rasty
01-10-2013, 20:28
Only wear natural fabrics...

Petroleum is natural

Sarcasm the elf
01-10-2013, 20:33
Petroleum is natural

Real hikers smell both rank and nasty. Now if we only had a word to describe that sort of smell...

Rasty
01-10-2013, 20:35
Petroleum is natural

Real hikers smell both rank and nasty. Now if we only had a word to describe that sort of smell...

I wonder what that word could be?

S'more
01-10-2013, 20:41
I wonder what that word could be?
Think think think... hmmm?

Matjok
01-10-2013, 21:26

I shave on the trail.
I carry a Jetboil.
I wear goretex shoes.
I day hike (gasp).

That should do it. I think I am officially banned from being a real hiker for life. If anyone wants to discuss it in person, my son and I will be heading out to Rod Hollow this Saturday to enjoy the great weather, but we will be walking not actually hiking :)

I am almost like you, so I guess I am not a real hiker either. The only difference would be that I am not a scout leader and I do not sleep in shelters.

Rasty
01-10-2013, 21:44
Think think think... hmmm?

Elves smell kind of weird?

kayak karl
01-10-2013, 21:46
i always though and used "Real Hiker" as a derogatory term. :D

bfayer
01-10-2013, 21:49
I am almost like you, so I guess I am not a real hiker either. The only difference would be that I am not a scout leader and I do not sleep in shelters.

That may be your saving grace. There may be hope for you yet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

aficion
01-10-2013, 21:54

Elves are optimystical illusions.

Sarcasm the elf
01-10-2013, 21:58

That's the lingering smell of stale Christmas cheer and reindeer droppings. No matter how many times you wash, the smell doesnt go away. You get used to it after a while....

S'more
01-10-2013, 21:59

KInda?!?! Depends....

dzierzak
01-11-2013, 10:32
KInda?!?! Depends....

Depends are for old folks....

hauptman
02-02-2013, 12:44
Me, myself, and Irene. Actually, that comment now has me wondering what it would be like to thru hike with Jim.

Storm
02-03-2013, 00:25
To be a real hiker you have had to get ice in your beard at least once. LOL

Burly Buck
02-03-2013, 04:13
You're putting a lot of pressure on us wanna-be hikers that aren't real hikers or even pretend ones yet.

BirdBrain
02-03-2013, 09:46
This is like asking what a real breather is or a real sleeper is... if it is done it is real... if it is not done it is just imagined. I am imagining a real hike right now. Right now I am not a hiker... I am a cyber hiker. Later on when I hit a trail, I will be a hiker. I used to be a welder, pipefitter, machinist, clam digger, trapper, etc... I enjoy fishing, hiking, taking pictures, etc... In trying to make it simple, I am complicating it.

Let me start over: If you are doing it, you are real.

Mountain Mike
02-03-2013, 10:00
This is like asking what a real breather is or a real sleeper is... if it is done it is real... if it is not done it is just imagined. I am imagining a real hike right now. Right now I am not a hiker... I am a cyber hiker. Later on when I hit a trail, I will be a hiker. I used to be a welder, pipefitter, machinist, clam digger, trapper, etc... I enjoy fishing, hiking, taking pictures, etc... In trying to make it simple, I am complicating it.

Let me start over: If you are doing it, you are real.

Very well stated!

hikerboy57
02-03-2013, 10:01
a real hiker doesnt consider it a sport.

BirdBrain
02-03-2013, 10:24
a real hiker doesnt consider it a sport.

Real hikers hang out in the ... oops... better not advertise ....might bring in the riffraff... oops... too late... I am already there.

IrishBASTARD
02-03-2013, 10:26
A "Real Hiker", tends to enjoy what they do, both in a natural as well social setting, a real hiker follows, does not lead where numerous hikers went before.

Mountain Mike
02-03-2013, 11:21
Real hikers don't need to be defined or ask about being a real hiker. They just go out & hike.

Pedaling Fool
02-03-2013, 11:23
REal hikers don't need to be defined or ask about being a real hiker. They just go out & hike.So is that the definition of a Real Hiker? Your two sentences seem to contradict one another :D

Mountain Mike
02-03-2013, 11:31
I'm more into poetry than science.

Zmaidment
02-03-2013, 12:09
Real hikers smell. Fake hikers dont

Hipcheck
02-03-2013, 12:16

Winner......

HikerMom58
02-03-2013, 12:33
I'm more into poetry than science.

PERFECT A+...........

Yes, and in this case ur smell could speak louder than words. Stay alert! ;)

keepinitsimple
02-04-2013, 12:20
real hikers know what Esbit is

Lone Wolf
02-04-2013, 12:23
real hikers would never use Esbit

bfayer
02-04-2013, 12:28

Except for starting larger than necessary fires at shelters :)

BirdBrain
02-04-2013, 12:29

I am confused again. I did not know what Esbit was... but after looking it up I realize that I don't use it either.
Where does that leave me?
Playing the straight man... expecting the pain.

glaux
02-04-2013, 19:32
Honestly, I don't think I'd say "real hiker" out loud to anyone, but secretly? I maybe think it.

A real hiker is someone who hikes the way I want to. Someone who gets out there and does it over and over, and has fun, and doesn't get hurt too bad, and doesn't get too bogged down in worrying about stuff, and has learned a few lessons the hard way. They're the ones I sit up and pay attention to. And since I'm always learning, I'm always revising what "real hiker" means to me.

When my ears perk up and I think "oh hey! This person is a REAL HIKER!", that means I've noticed that I might learn something useful, and I pay more attention to what they have to say.

So, more miles under their shoes than I have, and *something* else (sense of humor, perspective, friendliness) that gets me thinking they know more than I do.

aficion
02-04-2013, 20:05
Honestly, I don't think I'd say "real hiker" out loud to anyone, but secretly? I maybe think it.

A real hiker is someone who hikes the way I want to. Someone who gets out there and does it over and over, and has fun, and doesn't get hurt too bad, and doesn't get too bogged down in worrying about stuff, and has learned a few lessons the hard way. They're the ones I sit up and pay attention to. And since I'm always learning, I'm always revising what "real hiker" means to me.

When my ears perk up and I think "oh hey! This person is a REAL HIKER!", that means I've noticed that I might learn something useful, and I pay more attention to what they have to say.

So, more miles under their shoes than I have, and *something* else (sense of humor, perspective, friendliness) that gets me thinking they know more than I do.

Out of a lot of thoughtful, funny, and generally great replies, that's the best! Well said.

Another Kevin
02-05-2013, 00:09
A real hiker is anyone who does real hiking. That's not me, I just like walking in the woods carrying a backpack.