PDA

View Full Version : 2013 LT e2e hike planning

Praha4
01-10-2013, 13:59
feels like spring down here in NW Florida today, way too early for this type weather

I'm planning another nobo E2E LT hike this year. Still leaning toward starting the Tuesday 9/3/13 after Labor Day ....

anyone up that way familiar with the college/university student orientation hike schedules for VT this August and September? when will the busiest weeks be? I'm guessing last 2 weeks of August and first week of September when Princeton Univ and Williams College are out on the trail in VT

Slo-go'en
01-10-2013, 17:10
They take over the woods pretty much from the middle of August until well into September. You can't go anywhere in the North East without running into them during that time frame. Week days will probably be bussier then weekends. It's not just Princeton and Williams, many collages send kids out there. All the Ivy leagues and many of the larger state collages too. They scatter them up and down the trails. I haven't seen two groups show up at the same place at the same time, but it is possible.

For the most part, it's not a big problem. They know they can't hog the shelters so they typically camp under tarps near-by. That's not to say some might try to sneak into a shelter if it's raining. The worst is when 20 show up dripping wet and track mud and water all over the shelter floor before moving on.

They can be entertaining. Like the two young girls who came over to my campfire one damp and drizzly evening and asked where they could find dry fire wood. They can also be annoying, staying up late and making noise during thier "bonding" programs.

James GAME2009
01-11-2013, 01:35
I did an E2E at the end of August this year and did not run into any university students. I saw vans from one university, but never ran into them on the trail. Perhaps they hiked a side trail, or were holed up in a shelter when I went by.

Slo-go'en
01-11-2013, 11:51
I did an E2E at the end of August this year and did not run into any university students. I saw vans from one university, but never ran into them on the trail. Perhaps they hiked a side trail, or were holed up in a shelter when I went by.

Were you going NOBO? Less likely to see them up north on the LT. I went SOBO on the LT in August and ran into several collage groups on the southern end of the trail.

James GAME2009
01-11-2013, 15:02
Were you going NOBO? Less likely to see them up north on the LT. I went SOBO on the LT in August and ran into several collage groups on the southern end of the trail.

I retract my previous post. I just checked my records and my hike was in the beginning of August. Yes, I was NOBO. The vans from the university I saw were during the northern half of the trail.