PDA

View Full Version : Mountaineering Gloves

rumbler
06-01-2005, 12:12
I'm climbing Kilimanjaro in about 3 weeks and it just occured to me that I have no idea what kind of gloves are appropriate for high altitude use. I'm assuming some kind of inner glove with a waterproof insulated mitten. Any suggestions? Preferably one that will not break my already shattered bank.

Footslogger
06-01-2005, 12:25
Check your inbox ...I just PM'd you regarding the gloves.

'Slogger

JEB
06-01-2005, 13:13
For me, the most important thing is that the insulated layer should be a mitten, not a glove. You can have substantially warmer hands with a thinner layer of insulation this way. (It's about the ratio of surface to volume.)

If you are worried about needing finger dexterity for fine work, thick gloves are still not the answer, since they must be thick and clumsy to achieve decent warmth. Instead, you wear a very thin liner glove under the mittens, which you take off when you need to do fine work, or (my favorite) go for the mittens that fold back to bare your fingers (Campmor has some inexpensive ones under their own brand - wind-block fleece -- that I really like) and then do with or without liners as seems to suit you. If you go with fleece mittens (variably water-resistant but not water-proof) or, you can top it off with a waterproof mitten if you figure to be digging snow caves or want to be real secure.

Pencil Pusher
06-01-2005, 13:14
"Failure is not exceptable!"

Leave the Maker's Mark alone until after the climb.;)

Edit- I have some expedition OR mitt shells you can borrow for this climb. Here's an attached pic. Get the expedition weight mitten liners from OR and this combo will serve you well at altitude. These are gore-texed and have the rubbery grip, size large, idiot chords and two velcro cinch straps.
Borrowing gear is the cheapest way to go on these types of expedition climbs. Maybe you should ask others if they have gear you could borrow, if need be.

rumbler
06-01-2005, 13:57
"Failure is not exceptable!"

Leave the Maker's Mark alone until after the climb.;)

Abundant and regular medicinal doses of Maker's are my only hope.