PDA

View Full Version : sweet section in sw va.(i love logistics)

ratfaceraines
01-11-2013, 06:16
if you're considering hiking any part of the section between bland and troutville this season---consider these options. mega bus serves most northeastern cities, some southern and a few mid-west(go to mega bus.com). there is a stop in christiansburg,va.--33 miles from pearisburg, 38 from bland and 32 from troutville. there is about 140 miles of trail (some of the best on the AT), and you're no more than 40 miles from the bus stop. mega bus is very inexpensive[the sooner you book--the less expensive], and quicker than the usual greyhound ride. i shuttle hikers out of pearisburg, i have contact info for providers in bland and troutville. if i can be of any help, whatsoever, call don--anytime, 540-921-7433(RIDE)

joshuasdad
01-11-2013, 11:17
I have taken Megabus from DC to Knoxville because the night bus is very convenient for weekend hikes. However, the night bus gets into Christiansburg at 3:30 AM, which makes it less convenient (4.5 hours, which may include a break, is not long enough to sleep). But if weather is still good next weekend, this will be something to consider for a 3-day Pearisburg to Bland section (sleeping at Woods Hole, near Trent's Grocery, and getting in to Bland in time to make the 3:20 PM return bus from Christiansburg).

We can talk about this on Sunday when you shuttle me, or feel free to send me a PM with the logistics.

ratfaceraines
01-11-2013, 13:55
on my end my logistics are this---anytime, anywhere......see you sunday

joshuasdad
01-11-2013, 14:24
OK then, sounds like this might be a plan for later! (probably in a warmer month)

For those who do not want to wake Don up in the wee hours, there is a day bus as well (arriving a bit after 2PM).

tiptoe
01-11-2013, 15:48
Thanks for this info. I'm tentatively planning a southbound hike starting at Rockfish Gap, and all I've found for getting back North is an overnight bus from Roanoke to NYC. If I can get as far as Pearlsburg, I'll definitely keep this (and you) in mind.

Majortrauma
01-11-2013, 16:06
on my end my logistics are this---anytime, anywhere......see you sunday
I used Don's Shuttle two times and I can tell you when he says anytime, anywhere...he's not exaggerating.