PDA

View Full Version : Mid-March Suggestions?

Christine_Runs
01-11-2013, 09:09
Hi Everyone,

I live in Canada, near the Ontario/Quebec border (about 8 hours from Syracuse, NY). I have a week off mid-March. I am currently going a bit stir crazy and think a week of hiking is just what I need. Problem? Everything in Canada will still be under snow and while I am learning about winter camping I'm not ready to hike off into the wilds of winter alone (my parnter does not have the week off).

So I am looking for suggestions. AT or otherwise. Preferably as far north as would be possible with 3-season gear and obviously on the eastern coast of the US.

Thanks in advance.

Christine

Slo-go'en
01-11-2013, 11:35
If your 8 hours from Syracuse, you must be well north of Ottawa, maybe Pembroke, eh?

With only a week off, I doubt you want to drive more than a day to get someplace, which kinda limits how far you can go. Depending on what the conditions are in mid March (way too early to tell) the Shanendoha NP in Virginia would likely be your best bet. At least it's a pretty straight shot down I81 for you and maybe an 18 hour drive.

Hitchin' Post
01-11-2013, 11:45
Are you flying or driving? It's helpful to know whether you'd need the trailhead to be reasonably close to an airport.

Cookerhiker
01-11-2013, 13:04
The problem is any part of the AT could have a cold spell in mid-March for which your 3-season gear may not be adequate. I guess it depends how tolerant you are; coming from Canada, you're no stranger to cold weather.

For AT hiking, I suggest hiking between Bear Mountain, NY and Salisbury, CT. The total distance is 97 miles. For a shorter hike, you can also hike as far as Kent which is 63 miles. There are also points in-between Kent and Salisbury. You could also hike it southbound by taking the AMTRAK train to Pawling and getting a shuttle to your start. In fact, that might be better; fly to NY, take train to Pawling, shuttle to trailhead, hike to Bear Mountain where you can get a bus back to NY. Only issue with flying is your stove since you'd probably want to cook in cold weather. Do you have a canister stove?

This hike is over low elevation and features sufficient bailout points. At the same time, the woods will be pleasant and uncrowded. And it's further north as you specified as well as no colder than the South where the elevations are high.

Christine_Runs
01-11-2013, 14:58
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I will definately be driving. Flights originating in Canada are obsenely expensive so I never feel justified in spending that amount of money on a one week trip!

Christine_Runs
01-11-2013, 15:06
Oh and in terms of gear, we have a winter tent but I don't have a winter solo tent and our winter tent is too heavy for backpacking (great for snowshoeing with a sled and a partner!). So I want to take my solo three seasons tent. I would like to take my Pocket Rocket as I'm not sure I'll have a total handle on my Whisperlite by then. I have a fall bag that is a 15 degree bag. Basically, I'm hoping to avoid mountains covered with snow. I can handle a light sprinkling but not an area that needs snowshoes or an ice axe to navigate. I have a lot of experience with snow but not with mountains so I just don't want to be picking an area that has winter mountain issues I'm not ready for.

The total time off is 9 days and I used to drive to Mass for the weekend to paddle so while I'm a bit past crazy driving, I get that this will require some driving. I'm just trying to keep it to as little driving as possible.

Snowleopard
01-11-2013, 17:24
Cookerhiker's suggestion of NY/Conn. is close. I'd say go a little further north to hike past the Conn./Mass. border to Great Barrington, MA, just because Bear Mt (the Conn. one), Race Mt., Mt. Everett are so nice; if the weather is nasty you might want to skip these.

Weather mid-March in Conn. and Mass. is unpredictable. It could be warm spring weather with cool nights or it could be winter. It could be dry, muddy, icy or deep snow. Since you're driving, check the weather and conditions before you leave. It will be warmer than midwinter in Canada.

Your sleeping bag should be fine; if you run into cold weather supplement it with warm clothing. There are shelters along the AT in Conn and Mass (and probably NY), so your 3 season tent will be fine; in bad weather stay in a shelter. Your canister stove will be marginal if it's colder.

Weather: check the weather underground weather history for wherever you go; this is a link to a station near the northern end of a NY/Conn/Mass hike --http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KMAOTIS3 Check back on WB a while before you leave; there are several WBers who hike and live in that area.