PDA

View Full Version : Last minute pre-trek purchases in Georgia

mykdavies
01-11-2013, 10:29
Hi all,

I'm going to be flying in from Europe to start my AT thru-hike at the beginning of April. I'll be arriving in Atlanta, and will need to pick some some items that are not easily available in Europe or that I can't fly with, such as stove-alcohol, Aqua-Mira etc, as well as my first few days of food (I'm looking forward to finding out what Knorr's Sides actually taste like :-). Can anyone give me some ideas for the best places to go for these items? Should I plan to do my shopping in Atlanta (e.g. REI) or are there better options nearer to Springer Mountain?

Thanks, Michael

swjohnsey
01-11-2013, 10:39
If you can make do 'til Neels Gap you will find one of the best outfitters anywhere.

Train Wreck
01-11-2013, 10:54
If you can make do 'til Neels Gap you will find one of the best outfitters anywhere.

I wouldn't buy the food at Neels Gap. If you can get a shuttle there's a Walmart about 10 miles from there that wilk have an enormous selectuon of food icluding all the Knorrs sides you can think of. It's probably going to be a lot cheaper too.

Train Wreck
01-11-2013, 10:54

The walmart also carries the butane canisters for around $5.

swjohnsey
01-11-2013, 10:57
There is a pretty good selection of trail food at Neels Gap but it is more expensive. The folks at Hiker Hostel make a grocery run and have some stuff like fuel available.

Elder
01-11-2013, 11:03
How are you getting Atlanta to Springer.
Most of the established shuttlers will take you to shop, or in some cases pre shop for you in the basics..fuel canisters, alcohol, etc.

Paying $ for a shuttle from Neels Gap to Walmart to save a few cents? Maybe carpool and eat in a resturant too!

PapaGarrettP
01-11-2013, 11:05
I would hook up with the Hiker Hostel (http://www.hikerhostel.com/). Josh and Leigh are the owners (+1 770-312-7342). They can give you a ride into town (Walmart) to buy supplies, as well as put you up in a comfortable room with a bunk bed and give you breakfast (USD 18 per person). They will also drive you to the trailhead. The cost for this and a ride to Walmart would be extra. I am sure they can advise you how to get from Atlanta to their place, which is in Dahlonega, Georgia and is close to the beginning of the trail.

My son and I have stayed with them three times and found them to be friendly, clean and inexpensive. They run a first class business -- very professional and reliable.

(Also, they currently have a deal where they give hikers a container of alcohol-fuel).

Lyle
01-11-2013, 11:22
Not sure where AquaMira may be available. I know REI refuses to carry it. Does Mountain Crossings? May need to get some Iodine tablets to make do until you can pick up some AquaMira. Or, if you are staying at Hiker Hostel, ask them if you can order some online and have it shipped to them for you to pick up. Food and alcohol fuel can be gotten most anywhere.

Camel2012
01-11-2013, 11:46
Leigh and Josh also do a thru-hiker special.

From their site:
What's Included? Shuttle from North Springs MARTA Station or Gainesville, GA to the hostel Overnight stay in one of our bunk rooms Breakfast 8 oz of white gas or denatured alcohol (additional fuel may be purchased by the ounce)* Shuttle to Amicalola Falls State Park or the Springer Mountain parking lot (0.9 miles north of Springer on USFS 42).

$80 for it, and is really convenient. Plus, it's a really nice place, and they are super nice people.

Train Wreck
01-11-2013, 12:13
Most of the established shuttlers will take you to shop, or in some cases pre shop for you in the basics..fuel canisters, alcohol, etc.

Paying $ for a shuttle from Neels Gap to Walmart to save a few cents? Maybe carpool and eat in a resturant too!

Might be worth it if you get to Neels Gap at the height of thru-hiker season and they're in between re- stocking their shelves. :) Blairsville has tons of restaurants, so yeah, make it a combination trip. You may also just be able to find someone headed that direction if nothing else, It's on the same road.

turtle fast
01-11-2013, 12:27
Your best bet is to order online what you want and have it sent to where you are staying (just make sure they accept parcels for hikers) for you hiker gear like alcohol stoves. For food, you just need to go to any major grocery store and spend some time getting what you desire....your selections in the states are MUCH bigger than any European/UK supermarket!! If staying at a great place like the AT Hikers Hostel, they accept parcels shipped to them and will usually take you for resupply in town at a Super Walmart...normally while on the way out of Atlanta. We had hiked with a gentleman in 08' from the UK who did the same thing and it worked perfectly for him.

surfnturk
01-11-2013, 12:47
Not sure where AquaMira may be available. I know REI refuses to carry it. Does Mountain Crossings? May need to get some Iodine tablets to make do until you can pick up some AquaMira. Or, if you are staying at Hiker Hostel, ask them if you can order some online and have it shipped to them for you to pick up. Food and alcohol fuel can be gotten most anywhere.

I buy aquamira from REI. Just saw it there last week

CarlZ993
01-11-2013, 12:52
I buy aquamira from REI. Just saw it there last week

The drops or the tablets? The REI stores in Austin don't carry it. Reno neither (was there last summer).

surfnturk
01-11-2013, 13:06
They had both. It's an REI just outside of Atlanta.

The drops or the tablets? The REI stores in Austin don't carry it. Reno neither (was there last summer).

surfnturk
01-11-2013, 13:07
let me rephrase that; I know they had the pills and I THOUGHT i saw the liquid.

Lyle
01-11-2013, 13:27
It may have changed, but unless I knew for sure, I'd make other arrangements if you want the liquid. I've asked them for it, and was told they will not stock it, but that was a while ago.

CarlZ993
01-11-2013, 23:49
let me rephrase that; I know they had the pills and I THOUGHT i saw the liquid.
I've seen the pills in Austin. I have to buy the liquid at another outfitter (Whole Earth Provision Co). Or mail order.

OzJacko
01-12-2013, 01:31
Hi pom!
I note you are starting early April.
I am starting 22nd March and will be spending a couple of days in Atlanta and two nights in Hiker Hostel for various shopping issues including local cel phones and fuel, aquamira etc.
Not started yet but will have a TrailJournal from mid February and will post some details of what I do on that - should be in time to be useful for you.

mykdavies
01-12-2013, 04:41
Thanks all for the great responses. It looks like the Hiker Hostel will be the best way for me to get off to a good start - anywhere that offers bed, breakfast and alcohol must be good!

I was surprised to read that Aqua Mira is not that easy to get your hands on. Is it going to be hard to find generally along the trail?

Hi OzJacko, thanks for the offer, that will be really useful. I'd also be interested in how your phone/sim shopping works out for you.

urbansix
01-12-2013, 07:37
As of just after the holidays, I have not seen Aquamira at REI either (@ 2 locations in Atlanta, ITP and Gwinnett). They do carry Potable Aqua brand tablets in Iodine and Chlorine Dioxide flavors. If they do have Aquamira, it's new, and good to know. :-?

Karma13
01-12-2013, 07:47
They don't carry it online. :(

surfnturk
01-12-2013, 09:03
My bad!! It was Portable Aqua I saw, not Aqua Mira. I didnt even know there was 2 kinds.

Lyle
01-12-2013, 09:24
One set of AquaMira lasts quite a long time, especially if you only treat surface water. For spring water, I generally don't bother treating. I also do not normally treat my cooking water. It's very popular on the AT, so I imagine it can be gotten at many or the outfitters along the way. If you have concerns, buy and extra set to put into a bounce box. You can always pick up some Iodine tablets in a pinch.

slims
01-12-2013, 12:19
This is another option instead of Neels Gap. Not sure how you're getting to the trail or if you're doing the approach trail but the people that do shuttles will usually take you somewhere you can grab fuel and last minute items. On my way to Amicalola the person shuttling me stopped at an outfitter called Outside World where I got a fuel canister.

slims
01-12-2013, 12:21
I meant to say that's another option instead of the Hiker Hostel. (Still no edit button? really whiteblaze?) :mad:

Karma13
01-12-2013, 12:36
(Still no edit button? really whiteblaze?)

There's an edit button. All you have to do is donate. A few bucks, et voila.

Edited just for the sake of editing.

RED-DOG
01-12-2013, 12:44
On your way to Amicola Falls you can stop at a town called Dahlonega which is the last town before Amicolla Falls state park you can find any thing you need their, if you are going to stay at the hiker hostel they will shuttle you into town to get supplies, and i will add that the Approach trail is the best way to start the AT. Enjoy and have lots of fun. RED-DOG

bigcranky
01-12-2013, 17:59
Aqua Mira is not hard to find on the trail.

The "alcohol" offered by the Hiker Hostel is, sadly, fuel for your stove and not drinkable. Sorry.

There are major grocery stores near the HH, and you can get a ride there. Might cost a few bucks.

BarFight
01-20-2013, 14:24
It might be that some states ban the sale of Aqua Mira, rather then REI as a whole.