PDA

View Full Version : Underwear Fight!

BirdBrain
01-11-2013, 14:05
I have noticed that you need a provocative title to get maximum traffic on a thread.
I have also noticed people like to argue about innocent things.
Hopefully these observations produce a lively and fun debate.

I am looking for opinions on what is the best underwear for long distance hiking.
The criteria I have seen that has been suggested as important are:
1) Anti-odor
2) Anti-chaffing
3) Moisture wicking
4) No cotton
5) Unless it is spelled s-o-c-k-s only bring 1 pair if any.

Ground rules:
1) I will be nice if you agree with my opinions (that seems to be the norm here).
2) I will not be telling you my opinion (this is not the norm here).

With that said, let's have an underwear fight.

Seatbelt
01-11-2013, 14:09
I started out with the latest greatest moisture-wicking, non-chafing, "best-I-could find" underwear, and after two days--threw it away and have not worn any since...even off the trail. IMO it's not really a necesity.

max patch
01-11-2013, 14:12
The best underwear is no underwear at all. Hiking (or running) shorts with built-in liner.

aficion
01-11-2013, 14:13
First choice: ex officio boxer. Not cheap but comfortable, quick drying, durable. Second choice: Depends.....

R Jay
01-11-2013, 14:33
1. No underwear is a terrible idea, unless you want your sweaty "stuff" bouncing around into your thighs all day. Such a terrible idea. Terrible, terrible, terrible idea.
2. Exofficio Boxer Briefs are as good as anything you're going to find.

trapper
01-11-2013, 15:16
i second the none....once you get used to it its one less thing to get wet...ray jay if you have really "saggy jewels" you should probably keep them strapped up

bigcranky
01-11-2013, 15:44
Wool boxer briefs in the lightest weight fabric, except in mid summer then commando works for me.

Ktaadn
01-11-2013, 15:50
UnderArmor 9" Boxerjock. They are long so they won't ride up and they wick moisture and heat. Do they have an oder after I've hiked in them for 5 days? Of course they do.

RedBeerd
01-11-2013, 15:53
Another vote for running shorts with a liner. I went commando once and had, you could say, very undesirable results. Then again, I am a sweaty chaffey guy.

Prop Blast
01-11-2013, 15:55
Would a compression strap be out of the question? :) All seriousness aside, merino boxer briefs in the winter and commando in the summer.

HikerMom58
01-11-2013, 16:05
Should this thread be in the "Male Forum"? ;) The only problem is the color is all wrong, if it is... shouldn't it be BLUE in here. :o Fight on... :)

atmilkman
01-11-2013, 16:14
First choice: ex officio boxer. Not cheap but comfortable, quick drying, durable. Second choice: Depends.....
You're really hung up on them Depends aren't ya.

BirdBrain
01-11-2013, 16:34
Should this thread be in the "Male Forum"? ;) The only problem is the color is all wrong, if it is... shouldn't it be BLUE in here. :o Fight on... :)

I have been faithfully married for the past 26+ years, so I admit I do not have a large sample to draw from but.... women wear underwear on occasion too... I think. Perhaps I am out of the loop.

Hey! Everyone is being too nice here. Do I have to threaten or insult someone? This is supposed to be a fight.

Seatbelt
01-11-2013, 16:43
[Hey! Everyone is being too nice here. Do I have to threaten or insult someone? This is supposed to be a fight.[/QUOTE]

Maybe there aint enough people on here with "Crapatalk"

aficion
01-11-2013, 17:00

Hey, they're more absorbent than cotton.

Astro
01-11-2013, 17:03

I agree with the first choice, and hope to never need your second choice.

T-Rx
01-11-2013, 17:04
I have worn Patagonia silk weight boxer briefs for several years now and love them. I am going to try some merino wool this summer and see how it works. I love my wool shirts so I have great hopes for the wool undies also.

leaftye
01-11-2013, 17:10
When chafing is from the thighs rubbing together and no amount of dryness or cleanliness can prevent it, then synthetic boxer briefs with a 9 inch inseam is the only way to go. Synthetic isn't even a choice since there isn't a wool alternative. Even if there was, the abrasion in the inner thighs makes synthetic boxer briefs the fiscally prudent choice by far, probably by a factor of 10 or more. I do have to disagree that they're heat wicking. They're not. They're very hot. Moisture may need to be addressed. If bugs aren't a problem, then these boxer briefs with a kilt may work well. On a particularly warm hike last year, I had to stop occasionally to drop trou to dry my nethers. I'll probably get a kilt for next season.

If that isn't the problem and chafing can be prevented with dryness or cleanliness, then going so far as wearing a kilt without underwear might be the best solution.

I've never gone without underwear though, so I can't really put much weight behind recommending going commando. It's more likely that the bare minimum I'd wear is regular wool briefs with a kilt, although I'd wear full length pants if heat and moisture weren't a problem.

aficion
01-11-2013, 17:12
I agree with the first choice, and hope to never need your second choice.

Dad is 83. Alzheimer's. Happy guy and fortunately doesn't need them yet. Someday he will. Since he lives with me I'm just trying to wrap my head around the idea and joke about it at the same time. I love life enough that if I live to need them so be it.

Slo-go'en
01-11-2013, 17:15
I'm tired of paying big bucks for mens nylon boxers, thinking of going with ladies pink undies :)

aficion
01-11-2013, 17:17
I'm tired of paying big bucks for mens nylon boxers, thinking of going with ladies pink undies :)
Already tried that. Doesn't work.

atmilkman
01-11-2013, 17:29
Hey, they're more absorbent than cotton.
(LOL) Depend on Depends.

aficion
01-11-2013, 17:37
Already tried that. Doesn't work.

Harder to hike thru permachub than permafrost.

brian039
01-11-2013, 17:44
I went with Starter running shorts with a built-in liner. No chaffing issues. Anti-stank??? Lol, no. Is that even possible?

RedBeerd
01-11-2013, 17:55
I went with Starter running shorts with a built-in liner. No chaffing issues. Anti-stank??? Lol, no. Is that even possible?

All my synthetics smell like death. However my smart wool tops do double duty as hiking apparel and going out clothes. Definitely a benefit to wool - no stank.

mrcoffeect
01-11-2013, 18:05
if im sleeping in a shelter i can guarantee that nobody will be hanging their underware in there:p. I might prance off with them too! lol

mrcoffeect
01-11-2013, 18:09
sorry, i had to say that. i,ll go put myself in time out now...

WingedMonkey
01-11-2013, 18:12
Shorts with net liners or nothing at all (if the shorts legs are long enough).

Seems the more "husky" hikers are the ones with the chafe problems.

For those of you with stink, you got a whole 'nother problem.

VTATHiker
01-11-2013, 18:16
+1 for ex officio. I understand the no underwear argument, but I want a home for the boys. I completed a southbound thru this year with a single pair, and for the pro-underwear crowed, highly recommended. They're not stink proof, so don't get your hopes up, but they're comfortable and they'll last a lot longer than just about any other underwear I've ever bought. Worth the price.

JansportD2
01-11-2013, 18:20
To get on ond off the trail - when I don't feel comfortable going commando - I wear cheap, fake, under-armor compression shorts that are a size or two too big (and thus not "compression" shorts). On the trail - commando.

Another Kevin
01-11-2013, 18:20

No, they're not strong enough to hang you up on. They rip.

aficion
01-11-2013, 18:22
sorry, i had to say that. i,ll go put myself in time out now...

Me too. LOL

Rasty
01-11-2013, 18:22

No, they're not strong enough to hang you up on. They rip.

Is this from personal experience? Now we know what your doing on the weekdays!

Train Wreck
01-11-2013, 18:23
if im sleeping in a shelter i can guarantee that nobody will be hanging their underware in there:p. I might prance off with them too! lol

Gonna be a lot of hungry and half nekkid hikers up in your neck of the woods :D

aficion
01-11-2013, 18:25

My go to hiking shorts are Starter running shorts. Had to cut out the liner and use ex officio or UA underneath to prevent serious inner thigh chafing.

mrcoffeect
01-11-2013, 19:03
Gonna be a lot of hungry and half nekkid hikers up in your neck of the woods :D
it,s all part of my plan to take over the universe pinky.:cool:

BirdBrain
01-11-2013, 19:21

Perfect! Absolutely perfect. Love it, love it, love it.
Good thing I wasn't drinking anything. That would have been a spit take.
Nice recovery. Now them there is fighting words.
I pity the fool that tries to touch my underwear.

rickb
01-11-2013, 19:35
I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual.

mrcoffeect
01-11-2013, 19:51
I pity the fool that tries to touch my underwear.
i dont know. for safety's sake. im going to bet that anyone crazy enough to run off with my wares might be crazy enough to keep them.:banana

Rocket Jones
01-11-2013, 19:59
Wintersilks lightweight briefs.

BirdBrain
01-11-2013, 20:24
Ex Officio boxer briefs is my choice for underwear.
A chance for levity was my goal for this thread.
My work is done here. I must be moving on to cause trouble elsewhere.
Perhaps I will start a thread on the proper way to hang underwear at camp next.

Oneofsix
01-11-2013, 20:38
this is cracking me up . . . I think you have to experiment, and weather conditions are critical to decide- your privates probably need some consideration too . . 103 degrees in PA this summer, female . . . after experimenting . . . no underwear and "glide" - get it at cycling shops solved our problems. when it is cold/ who knows. We will start with undies and expect to pitch them and replace (have undie mailers waiting in the wings) when we ask for them. so many thing to think about . . .

BirdBrain
01-11-2013, 20:48
this is cracking me up . . . I think you have to experiment, and weather conditions are critical to decide- your privates probably need some consideration too . . 103 degrees in PA this summer, female . . . after experimenting . . . no underwear and "glide" - get it at cycling shops solved our problems. when it is cold/ who knows. We will start with undies and expect to pitch them and replace (have undie mailers waiting in the wings) when we ask for them. so many thing to think about . . .

It says you are at AA and your name is Oneofsix. Perhaps you should put the six pack down or quit AA. Seems like a conflict to me. :)

Statue
01-11-2013, 21:09
Ex officio double as great swim trunks as well, have never had anything pop out.

Violent Green
01-11-2013, 21:40
Under Armor Heatgear compression shorts. Cured all chafe issues, but will freeze your butt off if cold outside. You've been warned. Running shorts with the liner are also good.

Ryan

OzJacko
01-11-2013, 22:07
Can't not wear underwear - just doesn't fit my persona and my pants won't hear of it either. I can sweat a bit.:p
Tried expensive merino boxers etc - all seem pretty useless mostly, the "shape" and elastic seems to go very quickly.
Now I just wear a very cheap brand of boxers, 97% cotton (!) and 3% elastane.
Carry 1 or 2 spares, replace and rinse regularly.
Do they stink? ALL my underwear stinks by 2nd day regardless of material.
Do they work? - No chafing, hold their shape, because of price, happily replace on a town stop if they seem a bit too far gone to wash.
Will I freeze my b###s off because they're cotton? No - they are the bottom layer.;)
And most importantly - they're comfortable.

Capt Nat
01-11-2013, 22:19
Underware should be required by law. Without, skid marks can come through light colored pants. Also, they help hold your hi capacity people killing assault gun in place while hiking. Smell is not an issue if you walk into the wind. Hang them in front of your tent or shelter and the bears will show you respect...

OzJacko
01-11-2013, 22:26
Underware should be required by law. Without, skid marks can come through light colored pants. Also, they help hold your hi capacity people killing assault gun in place while hiking. Smell is not an issue if you walk into the wind. Hang them in front of your tent or shelter and the bears will show you respect...
+1
Used underwear on top of a pack has been known to keep all kinds of critters away.
A mouse might risk it but that rat in the next sleeping bag who's after your chocolate won't....:D

Gray Blazer
01-11-2013, 23:12
I say down with unnerware!

Actually Kanga said that.

If you are going to wear unnerware, it should have little red hearts on them.

moytoy
01-12-2013, 03:50
If you are going to wear unnerware, it should have little red hearts on them.

Now I know who stole my underwear!

Grampie
01-12-2013, 13:20
Go with the shorts with built in mesh support. Worked well for me during my thru. The less stuff you have to deal with, the easier your hike will be.

mtnkngxt
01-14-2013, 07:51
Exofficio boxer briefs on the trail.

mgeiger
01-14-2013, 08:33
Academy sports sells their private label rip off of UA - called BCG. Very happy with them and I'm really picky about my drawers riding up and heating up. $10/pr.

Turk6177
01-14-2013, 08:39
I agree with the 9" underarmour boxer jock: One pair to hike and a second pair to sleep in (although a nice cotton pair at night might be nice for sleeping). Not everyone is built with the physique to wear no underwear. Those who are a bit larger do have the issue of chafing between the thighs without some kind of boxer jock on. I don't believe a pair of underwear exists that will not smell after hiking. But remember, everyone loves their own brand...

Land_Shark
01-14-2013, 14:45
Kilt would be the right answer. The options of what is underneath is limitless.