PDA

View Full Version : Condensation Question

Don's Brother
01-11-2013, 18:36
I have a new, expensive down bag that I plan to use on my thru hike. My tent, however, is prone to condensation. Will the condensation in a tent harm the down bag? I know down is not supposed to get wet. I really like my tent other than the condensation issue, but will get a new one is the condensation is going to harm the bag. Thanks.

bigcranky
01-11-2013, 18:39
Nope, no worries. This happens to me all the time. The shell fabric will keep the down from getting wet. Really, it's hard to get the down inside wet enough to be a problem.

Just take out your bag at lunch on a sunny day and let it air out, maybe once a week or so.

FarmerChef
01-11-2013, 19:03
Nope, no worries. This happens to me all the time. The shell fabric will keep the down from getting wet. Really, it's hard to get the down inside wet enough to be a problem.

Just take out your bag at lunch on a sunny day and let it air out, maybe once a week or so.

+1 The condensation is only a problem if you rub your bag on it every night. Most summer nights won't be a problem at all (i.e. no condensation).

swjohnsey
01-11-2013, 19:21
I disagree. I have a Western Mountaineering Highlight and it got damp from consensation at the foot of my tent on several occassions. Down is easy to dry out. My bag is black on the inside so it dries out quickly when laid in the sun. You can dry down bags in a clothes dryer.

VTATHiker
01-11-2013, 19:28
Somebody might have a different experience, but I've used a down bag in a bivy many times (lots of condensation which goes right into the shell) on a number of occasions and the down never lost its loft. The shell gets wet, but while you're sleeping in it your body heat drives the moisture away and keeps it near the shell. When you pack up in the morning I found that the shell moisture permeates the bag during the hiking day, but when you get into the bag the next night the moisture drives off again. No worries in a tent.

stranger
01-11-2013, 21:27
A good trick is to put a non-waterproof jacket, like a wind jacket, around the bottom of your sleeping bag before going to sleep, I use my Marmot Driclime, and the jacket gets damp, not the bag.

It won't 'harm' the down, but if you keep pushing up against a wet tent wall your down WILL get wet, will it get wet enough to notice or compromise the performance? Probably not. Common sense says keep your bag as dry as possible.

RedBeerd
01-11-2013, 21:31
A good trick is to put a non-waterproof jacket, like a wind jacket, around the bottom of your sleeping bag before going to sleep, I use my Marmot Driclime, and the jacket gets damp, not the bag.

It won't 'harm' the down, but if you keep pushing up against a wet tent wall your down WILL get wet, will it get wet enough to notice or compromise the performance? Probably not. Common sense says keep your bag as dry as possible.

My feetsies always get moist. Thanks for sharing a solid tip.

fiddlehead
01-11-2013, 21:36
The trick is to set up your tent so that you don't get the condensation.
OK, in a blowing, rain storm, this may not be easy.
But most nights, you can get ventilation into your tent.

I wouldn't go for the sleeping bag with the waterproof shell, this bag will be harder to dry out (moisture gets in the bag from your sweat)
But attack this problem with proper tent set up.