PDA

View Full Version : gloves for Ga - Nc winter?

saltysack
01-11-2013, 21:59
What gloves y'all recommend?

swjohnsey
01-11-2013, 23:08
We say y'all in Texas, too. Try mittens. I like fleece mittens with wind/waterproof shells. Zpack makes some with cuben shells that aren't too expensive.

bigcranky
01-12-2013, 10:46
The biggest issue around here in winter is cold rain. Like 31F and raining, so it soaks your gloves and sucks all the heat out of your hands. So I like the MLD eVent overmitts to keep my gloves dry. Inside them I wear either a light fleece glove or mitt, or a heavier glove if it's really cold.

Lyle
01-12-2013, 10:55
My go-to for cold conditions: Wool Ragg gloves with Breathable nylon over mitt.

Silk liners gloves are also good for doing quick tasks that require some dexterity.

This combo is extremely warm, especially while active. It also affords great flexibility.

RED-DOG
01-12-2013, 12:47
Any thing Fleece is great.

daddytwosticks
01-12-2013, 14:11
Stupid question - does anybody use surgical gloves as a vapor barrier with lightweight fleece or wool gloves/mittens? Would this work to keep your hands warm if the outer fleece/wool gets soaked? Just trying to think of a cheap and easy solution to cold hands during rain. :)

bigcranky
01-12-2013, 17:56
Not really. When the outer gloves get wet, they will suck your body heat out as they try to dry out.

ChinMusic
01-12-2013, 18:11
I use possumdown gloves and breathable cuben overmitts. I hardly ever have the gloves on while hiking.

I am not a fan of mittens over gloves. I just like the feel of gloves over mittens. I'd just put socks over my hands if I wanted mittens. I have never encountered conditions while hiking that gloves didn't do the trick. For camp I find the gloves adequate. If I didn't I would just put my hands in my pocket. That has never happened to me.

IMO, with regards to overmitts, they MUST be breathable. Trapping moisture is counterproductive. I also prefer to have my mitts taped by the manufacturer. My current overmitts are made by ZPacks. I cannot imagine an overmitt being better.

kayak karl
01-12-2013, 18:22
I use possumdown gloves and breathable cuben overmitts. I hardly ever have the gloves on while hiking.

I am not a fan of mittens over gloves. I just like the feel of gloves over mittens. I'd just put socks over my hands if I wanted mittens. I have never encountered conditions while hiking that gloves didn't do the trick. For camp I find the gloves adequate. If I didn't I would just put my hands in my pocket. That has never happened to me.

IMO, with regards to overmitts, they MUST be breathable. Trapping moisture is counterproductive. I also prefer to have my mitts taped by the manufacturer. My current overmitts are made by ZPacks. I cannot imagine an overmitt being better.

where did you get the possum gloves? i can only find mittens. TY KK

ChinMusic
01-12-2013, 18:35
where did you get the possum gloves? i can only find mittens. TY KK

http://litetrail.com/shop/possumdown-gloves-wool-hi-loft

Firefighter503
01-15-2013, 02:16
I have Outdoor Research PL 150's that I usually bring backpacking, and just picked up a pair of Outdoor Research Backstop's. I haven't worn them backpacking, but walking around in high wind areas in Afghanistan they have worked well for me.

saltysack
01-17-2013, 21:45
Thx..just ordered a cheap pair of MH butter liner gloves. Cheap w good reviews!
$20
Thx

Papa D
01-17-2013, 23:08
Patagonia Fleece Gloves would be fine. I also like Saucony running gloves

kayak karl
01-21-2013, 06:26
http://litetrail.com/shop/possumdown-gloves-wool-hi-loft
ty :)..........................

10-K
01-21-2013, 06:37
The biggest issue around here in winter is cold rain. Like 31F and raining, so it soaks your gloves and sucks all the heat out of your hands. So I like the MLD eVent overmitts to keep my gloves dry. Inside them I wear either a light fleece glove or mitt, or a heavier glove if it's really cold.

I just finished a long, rainy hike and I think it's important to note that with enough rain *nothing* will keep your hands dry, including the MLD eVent overmitts which I had with me.

They collect water that runs into them from down your arm and will eventually get your gloves or mittens just as wet as if you weren't wearing them. (yes, I had them sung around my wrists - you can't make a waterproof seal with a piece of shock cord.)

I had to keep taking mine off and dumping the water out.

They do dry quick though.

kayak karl
01-28-2013, 08:40
it says they are 3 season gloves. when most things are described 3 season they mean spring, summer, fall?. strange way to describe gloves. have you used them in single digits?

Grampie
01-28-2013, 10:36
Most of the gloves mentioned are over kill. On my thru I took along a cheap pair of wool gloves. Wore them about three times. Even in cold rain they got wet but still kept my hands warm. I disgarded them after the Smokeys. If you start in Jan. or Feb. you might consider something more advanced.

bigcranky
01-28-2013, 10:37
Hey, 10-K, did you layer your jacket cuffs over the mitts? That can work depending on whether you use trekking poles. I've had pretty good luck with the MLD mitts, even though I did a crappy job of sealing them.