PDA

View Full Version : Options for posting large numbers of photos on the net

OzJacko
01-12-2013, 05:55
OK this is pretty straight forward.
I'm after suggestions for the best way to post bulk (multiple gigabytes) photos with a GPS tag in such a way that others can access them for a view and preferably with a "pin" to a map like Google Earth.
The plan is that as I hike the AT I will post my photos when I get computer access (have that covered - assume I don't need help with net access).
I know it can be done, I'm just looking for the best options and hoping people that have done it can give me pros and cons of how they did it.
Camera can GPS tag photos so that is already done.
If videos work all the better.
I am imagining when I have finished the hike I can load an image that has a link to all my photos showing like a snake along the path of the AT.
I want family and friends to be able to see the snake "grow" as I go along and drag up pics.
Quality of image (i.e. resolution) not all that important as I will still have the originals in full resolution.
I expect Flickr to be a popular answer but am keen on hearing experience of others who have done this.
Cheers
Jacko

Train Wreck
01-12-2013, 08:24
OK this is pretty straight forward.
I'm after suggestions for the best way to post bulk (multiple gigabytes) photos with a GPS tag in such a way that others can access them for a view and preferably with a "pin" to a map like Google Earth.
The plan is that as I hike the AT I will post my photos when I get computer access (have that covered - assume I don't need help with net access).
I know it can be done, I'm just looking for the best options and hoping people that have done it can give me pros and cons of how they did it.
Camera can GPS tag photos so that is already done.
If videos work all the better.
I am imagining when I have finished the hike I can load an image that has a link to all my photos showing like a snake along the path of the AT.
I want family and friends to be able to see the snake "grow" as I go along and drag up pics.
Quality of image (i.e. resolution) not all that important as I will still have the originals in full resolution.
I expect Flickr to be a popular answer but am keen on hearing experience of others who have done this.
Cheers
Jacko

Oz, look at Trail Journals for "Seeks It". He did what you're describing.

OzJacko
01-12-2013, 08:53
Oz, look at Trail Journals for "Seeks It". He did what you're describing.
Thanks TW.
I've just had a look. It seems he used Panoramio.
Checked their FAQ's etc and two limitations from what I see.
2 gigabyte limit - a bit less than what I would expect I'm posting - possible that is "free" limit and paying a bit more could increase it.
Photos are monitored before being allowed to post. They seem to be mainly a landscape focused group. Seems if I posted pics of other hikers etc they may reject them.
Third issue (I think) is that it seems you have to join to view. Not a big deal but a nuisance for some people.

Train Wreck
01-12-2013, 09:01
Thanks TW.
I've just had a look. It seems he used Panoramio.
Checked their FAQ's etc and two limitations from what I see.
2 gigabyte limit - a bit less than what I would expect I'm posting - possible that is "free" limit and paying a bit more could increase it.
Photos are monitored before being allowed to post. They seem to be mainly a landscape focused group. Seems if I posted pics of other hikers etc they may reject them.
Third issue (I think) is that it seems you have to join to view. Not a big deal but a nuisance for some people.

Well aren't you the fussy one :D seriously, though, maybe you could pm the guy - he's on WB as PJWetzel. I don't remember having to do anything special to view his posts or his pics but it was a while back so I could have forgotten.
Why would they reject photos of hikers (unless they were mooning the cog :))

OzJacko
01-12-2013, 09:20
Well aren't you the fussy one :D seriously, though, maybe you could pm the guy - he's on WB as PJWetzel. I don't remember having to do anything special to view his posts or his pics but it was a while back so I could have forgotten.
Why would they reject photos of hikers (unless they were mooning the cog :))
Fussy in that I want to work out the "best" option.
I know it "can" be done several ways. Every way must have it's pros and cons.
Panoramio's seems to be that it is trying to concentrate on pictures of places. I want to post picturess of people too.
I think they have 2 problems with people photos - not part of the scenery and privacy issues.
I intend to only post people pics that the people know about.
I think most thruhikers will like having a site they can direct family etc to to say "this guy took my pic on Mcafees Knob" etc.
2 gigabytes is a lot for most things but over 5 months I expect to take a lot of pictures (and delete over half straight away).
2 gigabytes is 1/16 of my camera's card.

Statue
01-12-2013, 11:50
I feel like for what you want in order for people to view it they will have to sign up for the service. A much more technical way would be to have gps, upload waypoints to Google Earth, then use an external program such as Geosetter or Google's own Picasa to export the images to Google Earth.

What are the ways your considering doing this and what services have you looked into so far?

OzJacko
01-13-2013, 01:57
I feel like for what you want in order for people to view it they will have to sign up for the service. A much more technical way would be to have gps, upload waypoints to Google Earth, then use an external program such as Geosetter or Google's own Picasa to export the images to Google Earth.

What are the ways your considering doing this and what services have you looked into so far?
I haven't looked into many.
From TW's post I checked Panoramio, looked at Flickr and will probably go with that or Picasa and Google Earth.
Happy to pay something so that isn't an issue.
Just thought I might be able to get the pros and cons from people who have used these and other ways.
Have a GPS tagging camera I haven't used yet and thought I would try and get other peoples suggestions as to the best one for hiking.
Will be uploading about weekly while I thruhike this year.

leaftye
01-13-2013, 02:14
It might work better to get your own website to host your pictures.

Sly
01-13-2013, 04:00
Just go Google.

Picasa Web Albums offers 1 GB of free storage for photos and videos. However, files under certain size limits don't count towards this free storage limit. This applies to uploads for other Google product that store photos and videos in Picasa Web Albums, including Blogger, Google+ and Google Maps.
The free storage sizes are good for sharing photos on the web, but if you prefer to upload your images at a larger size for better quality (archival or print), you can buy more storage (https://www.google.com/accounts/PurchaseStorage) at any time.Learn more about Google storage. (http://support.google.com/picasa/answer/answer.py?answer=39567)
If you've signed up for Google+
Free storage limitsPhotos up to 2048 x 2048 pixels and videos up to 15 minutes won't count towards your free storage.
Automatic resizingAll photos uploaded in Google+ will be automatically resized to 2048 pixels (on their longest edge) and won't count towards your free storage quota.
All photos uploaded from the Picasa software or in Picasa Web Albums over the free size limit will count towards your 1 GB of free storage. When you reach your storage limit, any new photos you upload larger than the free size limit will be automatically resized to 2048 pixels (on their longest edge).