PDA

View Full Version : Diving in - Inexperienced Thru Hikers

evan_rolltide
01-12-2013, 13:31
Hello all,

I'm 23 years old and recently graduated college. I have thought about hiking the AT since I hiked a section ending on Blood Mountain a few years ago in October. Now that I am out of college I was going to go straight to work, but now I think I am going to turn down my job offer and have an adventure instead.

I have read a lot about the trail, but only hiked on it the one time. My interest in doing the trail is more about taking the time to learn about myself, meet a goal, and overcome the fears/challenges rather than hiking/camping solely because I enjoy it as a hobby (though this is true also). It is important to me to do something unforgettable and memorable at this point in my life, as people in my field of work don't often have a great deal of time off and I don't anticipate having this opportunity again in the near future.

Right now I am thinking of starting in late February to early March. I don't have cold weather experience though and don't want to ruin my trip by beginning too early, nor do I have tons of extra cash laying around to blow on cold weather gear I may not need if I make a slightly later start (if this is even true??).

I still have a lot of preparing to do but I wanted to go ahead and post up and introduce myself and see if anyone would chip in with advice on my gear, my strategy, or anything at all. My family is very supportive but I haven't told any friends about this because I can just see them thinking I'm crazy or trying to talk me out of it.

The gear I have acquired is as follows:

REI Flash 65 Pack
Kelty Cosmic Down +20 Bag
I usually just use a foam sleeping pad but will need to replace with something better
Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter
MSR Pocket Rocket
I have a tent now but for a thru hike I will need something lighter weight, researching those now.

For shoes, I was considering just wearing the comfortable New Balance sneakers I have now, and after a short time on the trail purchasing another pair of more appropriate footwear from an outfitter or having shoes mailed to me on the trail. I have read that many people's feet swell and shoes will fit differently after starting a thru hike, so I thought this may be a better option than buying new shoes right before the hike. Thoughts on that?

I have the misc other minor things as well (head lamp etc) but didn't see the need to post them. I will probably purchase most of the clothing etc I will need from REI based on recommendations I have seen on this site.

Anyway, anyone else thru hike with almost no previous AT experience or much hiking experience at all? It would be great to hear about your experience and what you did right and what you did wrong.

Roll Tide,
Evan

brian039
01-12-2013, 13:54
I'd start later, the days are too short and it's colder in February/early March. You'll be bored in camp a lot. Late March to Mid April is the best start time weather-wise. You'll also have lots of company, which may be good or bad for you. Personally, I liked having people to talk to.

A 20-degree bag will be great to start with, you'll want something like a 40-degree bag once it warms up. Then get the 20-degree bag back in NH.

I've seen people use the foam pads but there's no way I could.

I would use Aqua-Mira instead of the filter, filters are a pain.

The Pocket Rocket is awesome.

Most people's feet swell, but not everybody's. If you're going with sneakers or trail runners you don't have to worry too much about breaking them in. Boots suck while breaking in.

I didn't have much experience and did lots of things wrong, you'll figure it out as you go. There are plenty of places to send stuff home or buy stuff you need. I started out with too much clothes but I just sent them home at Neel Gap and bought a few things that I needed. No two hikers had the same set-up, you'll find what works for you. Bring enough money, that's the most important thing. At least $4,000, more if you party.

War Eagle,
Brian

daddytwosticks
01-12-2013, 13:57
You are a brave young man turning down a job offer right out of college. More power to you if you are seriously dedicated to a thru-hike. Now is probably the best time in your life to hike the AT. Good luck and have a great adventure. :)

evan_rolltide
01-12-2013, 14:08
I'd start later, the days are too short and it's colder in February/early March. You'll be bored in camp a lot. Late March to Mid April is the best start time weather-wise. You'll also have lots of company, which may be good or bad for you. Personally, I liked having people to talk to.

I would use Aqua-Mira instead of the filter, filters are a pain.

Most people's feet swell, but not everybody's. If you're going with sneakers or trail runners you don't have to worry too much about breaking them in. Boots suck while breaking in.

I didn't have much experience and did lots of things wrong, you'll figure it out as you go. There are plenty of places to send stuff home or buy stuff you need. I started out with too much clothes but I just sent them home at Neel Gap and bought a few things that I needed. No two hikers had the same set-up, you'll find what works for you. Bring enough money, that's the most important thing. At least $4,000, more if you party.

War Eagle,
Brian

My only rush on this thing is that my student loans will come due in 6 months. I have saved enough to be able to finance this trip as well as make the first few payments on them, but the fact is I will need to get a job soon after this time is up. I wouldn't mind a good deal of solitude on the trail but I also don't want to be the inexperienced moron freezing to death out on the mountain alone while all the guys that know what they are doing just waited an extra week.

Thanks for the tip about the Aqua Mira. I figured I'd use the filter since I had it, but am concerned about wt and ease of use in the long run so I will probably end up selling it and using your method.

I won't hold the war eagle against you.... :cool:

You are a brave young man turning down a job offer right out of college. More power to you if you are seriously dedicated to a thru-hike. Now is probably the best time in your life to hike the AT. Good luck and have a great adventure. :)

Thanks. To be honest I haven't begun my job search yet and I am batting a thousand right now when it comes to applications -> interviews -> offers. With my degree I have no concerns about picking up a job when I need one (based upon my exp and my colleagues). Turning down a job is scary though but sometimes the thought of spending the next 40 years or so in a manufacturing plant doing time studies is scarier....

Slo-go'en
01-12-2013, 16:48
Sneakers might be okay in the middle of summer, but not in March! Get some real hiking boots. Although a lot of members here will tell you not to get gortex boots, that's the only kind I buy. I like dry feet.

If you can put off starting until April, you can avoid much of the cold and wet weather and make better time.

Rock Lobster
01-12-2013, 17:04
When I started off Katahdin, it was both my first overnight backpacking trip and the first mountain I'd climbed. It was a great way to start :) Note that I wouldn't recommend that unless you're comfortable in the outdoors - I'd taught outdoor skills at summer camps for 10 years first. But you don't need to worry too much about getting in shape, or stress about gear, or anything like that. The trail will teach you. I've seen $500 ultralite tents, and $15 Walmart junior tents on the trail. It's really about mindset and willpower.

That said....The advantage to a filter is that you can drink ANYTHING....a big plus when sources run dry and you're left with a mud puddle on the trail. In the south and Maine where water is plentiful Aqua Mira is great...less so from PA-NY and stretches in VA. For tents, I really like the Tarptent brand - super lightweight and affordable compared to similar models from MSR and others. Skip the Contrail, the Moment is much more comfortable for an extra couple ounces.

What I did right: I went and didn't worry too much about it. I listened a lot and wasn't afraid to ask questions. I learned from others, but made my own choices according to my own style. I hiked my own hike even if that meant splitting up with others. You'll meet more people. I hiked "comfortable" instead of stressing over ounces. You want to be lightweight as a whole, but a few comfort items really help. I didn't stress about time, either - I stopped in towns, took zero days, took a few days to play tourist in NYC. It made the experience enjoyable, rather than a grind. On my SOBO hike, people asked how far I was going, and my answer was always "Christmas" rather than a location. All of the experienced hikers said that was a great answer, and in retrospect I do too.

What I did wrong: I left too late, starting SOBO in late August. I ended up hiking cold and alone by November as everyone was ahead of me. A little solitude is nice, but weeks was too much. I ended up packing it in and heading home for the winter, then getting back out in the spring. I did the same this summer, doing the south 1000 miles SOBO from June-August. I was solo for the last month and it got old. You will probably meet more people if you leave later, but it might actually be too many. Choose your start date based on the hike you want - for a more solitary hike, leave earlier. For a more social hike, leave later (or leave early and walk slow!) Another mistake I made at the end of this summer was pushing miles to make a goal. It left me exhausted and drained, and not having fun. I had to, because I needed to get home (I teach) but I wouldn't recommend that approach for most, and definitely not for 2000 miles.

Overall, most long-distance hikers I've talked to (though not all!) would agree with the common trail maxim "enjoy the journey" and the most common regret I hear is wishing they'd taken their time more. When you find yourself getting run down, take a day off and recharge. Or three. Or a week. You're a hiker, you're not in the army, so enjoy your trip and make the most of it!

lobotomized
01-12-2013, 17:07
I'm doing pretty much the same thing; I just graduated, turned down a job offer, don't have much East Coast hiking experience (I mostly rock-climb), and I'm heading out March 11. Tentwise, I ended up going with a Tarptent, they're light, waterproof (aside from light misting), and have a short set up time. You can find them here www.tarptent.com. I would also look into some rain gear. I bought a REI Kimtah rain jacket while it was on a big sale and I've loved it so far. You could also check out frogg toggs, which are a bit cheaper, but may not work as well.
Hope to see you out there,
Tucker

brian039
01-12-2013, 17:20
My only rush on this thing is that my student loans will come due in 6 months. I have saved enough to be able to finance this trip as well as make the first few payments on them, but the fact is I will need to get a job soon after this time is up. I wouldn't mind a good deal of solitude on the trail but I also don't want to be the inexperienced moron freezing to death out on the mountain alone while all the guys that know what they are doing just waited an extra week.

A 5-month hike isn't that hard if you wanted to leave later, taking nero's instead of zero's is the key. But there's nothing wrong with leaving earlier if that's what you want to do either, you'll just have an extra month of cold weather and might have to take time off the trail if the weather gets really bad. You won't be alone, there just won't be as many people if you were to leave later. Keeping your stuff dry will be the most important "skill" to have. I kept my sleeping bag and the clothes that I wasn't wearing in Wal-Mart kitchen trash bags. That kept them dry no matter how much it rained. When you set up camp and it's cold you can always just get in your tent and stay in your sleeping bag to stay warm. That will be boring though, so bring a book or radio.

evan_rolltide
01-12-2013, 17:38
Really enjoying all the replies so far guys and they are definitely helping ease my worries. I'm sure some of you experienced guys remember your first thru hike and though it is exciting I also can't help but have a great deal of doubt. The more I read the more I feel like there's nothing to it but to do it and everything else will sort itself out on the trail. I'm gonna try to put off leaving until around the first of march. I'm excited to meet people on the trail but don't really want it super crowded, and having hiked some sections in Georgia before I know it is going to kick my butt for the first week or two before I get in the swing of things.

bigcranky
01-12-2013, 17:53
Hey, Evan,

You are correct in assuming that starting in late Feb or early March will require cold weather gear that you do not have. You'll spend additional money holed up in a hostel or motel waiting out winter storms, too. Starting at the end of March or early April will be better, and you won't finish much later than some of the early starters.

Your gear is fine so far. Pick up a 2-pound solo tarp tent, like the Tarptent Moment or Notch or one of the Lightheart Gear tents. If your New Balance sneakers are really trail runners, fine, otherwise they might not have the wet traction you'd prefer. Of course you can start with them and 30 miles up the trail you'll come to one of the best outfitters in the country at Neels Gap. You can replace them there, when you have a better idea what you need. The Cosmic is a nice bag, especially for the price (!), and should be fine the whole hike.

For clothing, and gear in general, check the list here (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4). That's an excellent start. The story (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659) is pretty cool, too.

Good luck.

G-FOURce
01-12-2013, 18:25
Whatever you choose, i hope your hike comes to pass and that you complete the journey. Enjoy and Ramma Jamma!!!!

Storm
01-12-2013, 23:35
Mr. Fabulous, a young afro american from New York decided last February that he wanted to thru hike. Had no experiance at all. Went out and bought a bunch of gear. Went to Springer Mountain in late March and walked all the way to Maine. He struggled some at the beginning but didn't give up, so lack of experience has little to do with success. Just go for it while you have the time and desire.

leaftye
01-13-2013, 01:37
It sounds like you have a good plan so far.

Since you can, and probably will, use the shelters, I think you should go very light on the shelter. The Tarptent Contrail is very light, and well priced too.

If you can sleep on that foam pad, try using it for a while. Foam pads don't suffer from punctures or internal condensation, they are quick and easy to deploy and put away, and they make tents feel bigger because they don't push you as close to the ceiling as an air mattress does. My biggest problem with them is their bulk. Part of that problem can be traded with a benefit by using it as the frame of a frameless pack. That kind of hides the bulk, but can have a big effect on how you make and break camp.

Your filter could be lighter. I like the Sawyer Squeeze, although the bladders that come with it are prone to leaking, so they should be replaced occasionally and carry at least one backup, or use Evernew (NOT Platypus) brand bladders.

Your gear list looks decent so far, and I like the direction I think you're going. I'm not sure if you're looking for gear recommendations, but I'm going to hold off until you give us an idea of your budget.

Don H
01-13-2013, 09:58
Lots of people hike all year in trail runners. I started March 13th in TRs, hiked in snow, rain, mud and never had a problem. Sure my feet got wet but since I'm moving all day my feet never got cold. I don't recommend goretex in footwear, it doesn't let your feet breathe as well and traps sweat, and after time the goretex wears through and leaks anyway. My non-gortex shoes will dry out in a few hours of walking.

bigcranky
01-13-2013, 10:38
Mr. Fabulous, a young afro american from New York decided last February that he wanted to thru hike. Had no experiance at all. Went out and bought a bunch of gear. Went to Springer Mountain in late March and walked all the way to Maine. He struggled some at the beginning but didn't give up, so lack of experience has little to do with success. Just go for it while you have the time and desire.

I met Mr Fabulous on his way up Humpback Rocks in Virginia last June, as I was walking southbound on a section hike. I remember that he had a great attitude and was having a terrific hike, even with the heat and the climb. Also, his trail name was pretty memorable. Very glad to hear that he made it all the way.

Carbo
01-13-2013, 10:54
Do it now, otherwise you may have to wait another 40 years until retirement. Things like a job, marriage, kids, life has a way of resetting priorities as it did in my case.

"Atlas"
01-13-2013, 15:56
First off, Congrats on graduating from college with a USEFUL degree.

Taking the time now in life is a great way to set you in the right frame of mind for latter in life. I learned a lot about myself and our fellow Countrymen while hiking. Lessons I wished I had learned earlier in life.

As for Gear, buy two sets of the best quality clothes you can afford. Since you wont be carrying much clothes the quality can really make a great deal of impact.

chief
01-13-2013, 18:55
Hey Evan, I wouldn't be too concerned that your friends might think you're nuts. Baldwin County, AL has had quite a few AT hikers. Your friends may even know some. A friend and I hiked (1400 miles or so) in 2000. At the time we lived in Silverhill and Fairhope respectively. One cold, rainy night in the Smokies I met hikers from Fairhope, Larry and Anne McDuff (the Eastern Shore Trail, is in part named for them). In Daphne, the owners of Guido's and Cousin Vinnie's has hiked the AT and son too, I think. Just a few months ago, I was accosted by a guy in the Circle K next to Lake Forest. He was interested in my old AT tee shirt. Turns out he and his girl friend had thru hiked several years before. Anyway let em think you're crazy if they must.

Tide rolls again.

chief

G-FOURce
01-13-2013, 20:27
Hey Evan, I wouldn't be too concerned that your friends might think you're nuts. Baldwin County, AL has had quite a few AT hikers. Your friends may even know some. A friend and I hiked (1400 miles or so) in 2000. At the time we lived in Silverhill and Fairhope respectively. One cold, rainy night in the Smokies I met hikers from Fairhope, Larry and Anne McDuff (the Eastern Shore Trail, is in part named for them). In Daphne, the owners of Guido's and Cousin Vinnie's has hiked the AT and son too, I think. Just a few months ago, I was accosted by a guy in the Circle K next to Lake Forest. He was interested in my old AT tee shirt. Turns out he and his girl friend had thru hiked several years before. Anyway let em think you're crazy if they must.

Tide rolls again.

chief

small world! We used to live in Lake Forest and my mom lives on the bay down at Mullet Point. I was hit by a car while riding my motorcycle down to the D'Olive entrance after leaving that same Circle K when I was in high school. We used to pitch rocks at the alligators in the creek behind the old Gayfers and buy beer at Bobby Wilson's in Spanish Fort way before we were old enough! We also used to sneak into JRBs through a gap in the corrogated aluminum they used for a fence back when Billy still roamed the place and Teds burgers were a staple.

Papa D
01-13-2013, 21:24
I'd suggest starting early and beating the crowds - you'll have plenty of company, don't worry. I just got back from an weirdly unseasonably warm hike north of the GSMNP (around Hot Springs) - - I sure hope that winter will come back but my money is on a very mild winter - - if you start in late February or early March, you'll probably catch a little patch of snow or cold somewhere but nothing you can't figure out - - at 23, assuming you are in decent shape, you should be able to do a 18 to 20 week thru-hike which would put have you finishing mid-summer in Maine. Your start on gear sounds fine - - I would recommend against the water filter though - it's pretty heavy and will clog. Most thru hikers use aqua-mira. Some don't treat and others use bleach or maybe a steri-pen but the filter will clog (or freeze or break) despite your good care.

You should also know that the well intentioned clerk at any store (i.e. REI) will gladly have you leave thinking you need "industry equipment" and a 40# pack - you don't - thru-hikers (for the most part) don't eat a lot of pricy Mountian House meals either but REI would be apt to load you up on those too. You're in the right place here - - check out some of the very very many lightweight gear threads, clothing threads, cooking, camping, etc. and come up with your own system. Regardless of what that "system" is you should know that there is a good reason that most successful thru hikers on the trail will embrace at least some lightweight techniques and homemade / cottage industry gear and put their own kit together - usually with industry items (like sleeping bags and pads), homemade gear (like alcohol stoves) and some "cottage industry" gear (i.e. Six Moons Designs Shelter).

chief
01-13-2013, 22:05
small world! We used to live in Lake Forest and my mom lives on the bay down at Mullet Point. I was hit by a car while riding my motorcycle down to the D'Olive entrance after leaving that same Circle K when I was in high school. We used to pitch rocks at the alligators in the creek behind the old Gayfers and buy beer at Bobby Wilson's in Spanish Fort way before we were old enough! We also used to sneak into JRBs through a gap in the corrogated aluminum they used for a fence back when Billy still roamed the place and Teds burgers were a staple.Wow, you sure bring back old memories of Daphne. Wonder how long it's been since you were there? Lots of changes. Forgive me if you already know the following: (1) There is now a boardwalk viewing area for the gators, these days throwing things at the gators will get you a big fine. (2) Bobby Wilson was murdered at his store a few years back. They thought they had the killer, but he was retried and found innocent. (3) JRBs burned down several years ago, don't know what happened to Billy. Hope the cantankerous SOB got out okay. Heck, aside from Circle K, the gators and Lake Forest, Daphne is a completely different town.

evan_rolltide
01-14-2013, 00:15
Bobby Wilson's daughter lives next to me in Daphne with her family. Really horrible what happened to her dad.

Sure is funny to run into so many others from this area on the forum, but I think there is something about the Eastern Shore that leads us to doing things like this/thinking in a nature/environmentally oriented way. I am young but Daphne has changed a lot since I have lived here. I used to live in Montrose down the creek from JRBs and have fond memories of hearing live music all night!

Wow, you sure bring back old memories of Daphne. Heck, aside from Circle K, the gators and Lake Forest, Daphne is a completely different town.

evan_rolltide
01-14-2013, 00:41
I'd suggest starting early and beating the crowds - you'll have plenty of company, don't worry.

You should also know that the well intentioned clerk at any store (i.e. REI) will gladly have you leave thinking you need "industry equipment" and a 40# pack - you don't - thru-hikers (for the most part) don't eat a lot of pricy Mountian House meals either but REI would be apt to load you up on those too.
Thanks for the advice! I've been perusing the forums for a couple years now and have picked up a little knowledge, I'll look up these threads and get an idea of the clothing and gear I need yet.

I have an ENO double nest hammock, I have thought of using it on my trip, but I would need to get a tarp for shelter, bug netting, and probably something more than a sleeping pad for warmth. So I am keeping an open mind to both methods of shelter! I have read a good deal about both but as always welcome all opinions and personal experience are more than welcome!

Fredt4
01-14-2013, 00:44
Agree about late March / early April start date, but plan on seeing snow (nothing serious). Agree about losing the water filter, I didn't treat the water (did boil several times). All your clothing should be quick dry, don't tale warm clothing since your body heat will take care of you during the day and the sleeping bag will take care of you at night. Rain gear is essential (for wind and rain), but you'll mostly hike without it and use it in camp. I used gortex trailrunners with short gaiters had no problem (I understand some don't like gortex but it works for me). Remember that it was still cold in late May on many nights, so don't send home the cold weather gear too early.

evan_rolltide
01-14-2013, 20:20
Well today I turned down my job and was given a pair of Merrell Moab Ventilators. Being cheap, I like that Merrell will replace the shoes while I'm on the trail. I also told a friend of mine in Northern GA my plan, and am going to head up to his place before the end of February. I can spend time there training and watching the weather until I decide it's time to hit the trail and he is going to drop me off at Springer. (Maybe Hike the approach trail with a few friends).

Also I read the Backpacker article about the Pack Man talking about cutting weight. In it they mentioned that the section from Springer to Neel's Gap is arguably the hardest section of the AT. That was a relief to me as I hiked from Gooch to Neels a couple years ago with pretty bad gear in really cold conditions in the dark. If I could do it then I know I can do it now.

I am setting out tomorrow to drive to LA with my brother. We are going to stop where ever we can/want and hike/camp. I think our first stop is going to be Big Bend National Park in Texas. Can't wait.

Waterdog24
01-15-2013, 00:38
Evan,

best of luck whenever you decide to start! I will be starting on the approach trail on February 24th (my 49th bday). I have the money to gear up so I did get some winter gear that I will ship back when it warms up. I am seeking some solitude in the beginning and don't mind a slower start.

in my research, I saw a lot of information on vapor barriers...the only thing I purchased was a VB bag liner to keep condensation from sweat out of my down bag. Again, I can afford to buy the gear but on a budget I saw lots of people talking about bread bags for VB layer for shoes and trash bags for VB layers for the body and sleeping bag.

the best article I read about VB was at: http://andrewskurka.com/2011/vapor-barrier-liners-theory-application/

remember rule number one HYOH!

Hope to see you out there!

Nomad

TurboPants
01-16-2013, 00:31
Evan is in a good mood because Alabama won last week. Had they lost, I wonder if he would have the same ambition to venture out on the AT. Hmmm! ;-D

Sounds like you are off to a good start. Wish I could go out there with you guys this year but I have to wait yet another year. Keep us posted on how your hike goes. I plan to do basically the same thing, starting in late March to get a head start so I can get through VA before it's 100 degrees and see Maine as summer is unfolding. Good luck, and HYOH!

FooFighter'12
01-17-2013, 03:09
Hey Evan, first of all I'd like to say good luck. When I started I had quite a few 30 to 40 mile trips but nothing longer under my belt. You learn quick out there. I started Feb. 26th and didn't experience any snow until Virginia. Worst I had south of there was very cold rain and hail, heck even the Smokies were high 70's when I went through. I made a mistake and sent most of my cold weather gear home in Hot Springs and got my butt kicked by the weather for a couple days at Roan Mountain and had some shipped back until reaching PA. Then I got it back in Vermont and was glad I did in NH and ME. You just never know Feb. through April whats going to happen on those high ridges. I dropped my rain pants early on and really never missed them. My rain jacket only came on if it was pretty cold and raining, just too hot otherwise. My big mistake in the beginning was too much clothing.

That REI pack will be plenty good for the hike. Do you have a rain cover for it? Even with a rain cover, I would recommend putting anything you don't wet in good quality Waterproof bags like Sea to Summit or Granite Gear, especially your sleeping bag. There will be days where everything you have is drenched and those bags saved my butt many times.

I had the same Kelty bag. I loved that bag but i did find it a little bulky. However, I never once got cold. Just a tip, you will be warmer with less clothes on than more in those bags.
I started with a foam pad and by the time I got to Gatlinburg I had enough and bought a thermarest prolite plus and loved it. My problem was I sleep on my sides so the foam pad was killing my hips. Started sleeping like a baby after the change. If you plan on sleeping in shelters I'd recomment not getting a NeoAir, they are so loud when you move.

No filter, Aqua Mira all the way. Some people were very pleased with the Gravity filter.
For cooking, I used a cat can stove to save weight and never had a problem finding fuel for it.
My tent was a Marmot EOS. It was good but I found myself jealous of the Tarptents my hiking buddies had.

As far as shoes, I went through two pairs of Salomon Speedcrosses and that was it. I like those shoes due to the tread, almost like a cleat. Most of the people I knew that started in boots soon switched over to trail runners. I wouldn't worry about them being waterproof, they will get wet no matter what and will take longer to dry. A fast drying trail runner is the way to go IMHO. My foot only went up a half inch the entire time. If you can, try to make your shoes last all the way through PA. The rocks get worse the further you go and they tear shoes apart quick.

The inexperience will make for some good laughs at some point but by the time you starting hitting SOBO's you'll feel like a pro. Good luck!

Hello all,

I'm 23 years old and recently graduated college. I have thought about hiking the AT since I hiked a section ending on Blood Mountain a few years ago in October. Now that I am out of college I was going to go straight to work, but now I think I am going to turn down my job offer and have an adventure instead.

I have read a lot about the trail, but only hiked on it the one time. My interest in doing the trail is more about taking the time to learn about myself, meet a goal, and overcome the fears/challenges rather than hiking/camping solely because I enjoy it as a hobby (though this is true also). It is important to me to do something unforgettable and memorable at this point in my life, as people in my field of work don't often have a great deal of time off and I don't anticipate having this opportunity again in the near future.

Right now I am thinking of starting in late February to early March. I don't have cold weather experience though and don't want to ruin my trip by beginning too early, nor do I have tons of extra cash laying around to blow on cold weather gear I may not need if I make a slightly later start (if this is even true??).

I still have a lot of preparing to do but I wanted to go ahead and post up and introduce myself and see if anyone would chip in with advice on my gear, my strategy, or anything at all. My family is very supportive but I haven't told any friends about this because I can just see them thinking I'm crazy or trying to talk me out of it.

The gear I have acquired is as follows:

REI Flash 65 Pack
Kelty Cosmic Down +20 Bag
I usually just use a foam sleeping pad but will need to replace with something better
Katadyn Hiker Pro water filter
MSR Pocket Rocket
I have a tent now but for a thru hike I will need something lighter weight, researching those now.

For shoes, I was considering just wearing the comfortable New Balance sneakers I have now, and after a short time on the trail purchasing another pair of more appropriate footwear from an outfitter or having shoes mailed to me on the trail. I have read that many people's feet swell and shoes will fit differently after starting a thru hike, so I thought this may be a better option than buying new shoes right before the hike. Thoughts on that?

I have the misc other minor things as well (head lamp etc) but didn't see the need to post them. I will probably purchase most of the clothing etc I will need from REI based on recommendations I have seen on this site.

Anyway, anyone else thru hike with almost no previous AT experience or much hiking experience at all? It would be great to hear about your experience and what you did right and what you did wrong.

Roll Tide,
Evan

evan_rolltide
01-18-2013, 00:59
Thanks for the response and advice! Spent last night in the desert across the river from Mexico and brother it was chilly! Definitely gonna pick up a real sleeping pad ASAP, my brother and I split a foam pad and it wasn't great. Cranked out a ~13 mile hike in the Chisos Mountains today... Definitely made me more eager to start the trail! (As did getting stuck in traffic in Houston for a couple hours...).

PS had we lost I'd be more eager to disappear into the mountains forever, us Alabama fans don't take losing well, we aren't used to it... 5.5 yrs in college = 3 national championships, not too bad!

atmilkman
01-18-2013, 01:59
ROLL TIDE ROLL! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0Cb7bNibD0