Datto
01-12-2013, 16:12
Yes, you're going to be a celebrity.

It's inevitable.

"Are you going all the way?"

"Are you going all the way through?

"Are you one of those people walking to Maine?"

"Are you a thru-hiker?"

You'll be a symbol of someone who's broken out of the mold, someone who's drawing outside the lines.

When non-hikers encounter you on your thru-hike -- and realize what you're doing with your life -- it'll remind them, in just a flash, just a moment, how they have led their own life, how they've sought their own dreams. Or haven't.

Dealing with your celebrityness is a matter of the kind of person you are now, sitting in your comfortable living room, and who you will become when you take your first step on the Appalachian Trail to start your AT thru-hike.

If there is such a thing as Karma it has enveloped the Appalachian Trail. If you are nice and courteous and gracious during your AT thru-hike (even if you are not so presently), that niceness will come back to you in spades up the Trail. I know it's hard to believe while you're still at work, still driving in rush hour traffic. I had been told about it before I started my own AT thru-hike and I found it to be true as I thru-hiked northward toward Katahdin. The more you are kind, the more you are gracious and courteous, the more providence will positively affect you. On the Trail and after.

In case you didn't know already, your celebrityness comes with a responsibility. That being a positive emissary for the Appalachian Trail and the community to which you've become a member (willingly or not).

Some of you have not been kind or gracious in your life - for whatever reason. If you will voluntarily become kind and gracious and friendly to others on the Trail during your AT thru-hike, the Trail will make it easier for you. Do you wish to make it more difficult or easier?

Top Dozen Tips On How To Handle Your Celebrityness Graciously

12) When you receive a ride into town or from town back to the Trail, ALWAYS look the driver in the eye and say "Thank You" when you get into the vehicle and then once AGAIN when you're dropped off at your destination.

11) Never leave a motel room dirtier than you've found it. That includes cleaning up all the leaf droppings your backpack and your sleeping bag have left all over the motel room carpet. And clean up all the little white threads on the motel room carpet that mysteriously appear out of nowhere. All that scum your body has left as a ring around and at the bottom of the shower - clean that up so people don't think you, and all other thru-hikers, are pigs. Even if you are naturally a pig back home. Take all your garbage and cardboard boxes from your resupply that you emptied while in your motel room out to the dumpster so the motel room is not left in disarray after you're gone. Before leaving to go back to the Trail, thank the front desk or the owner of the hostel for having you stay there. It doesn't take much effort but it has a massive amount of positive affect for you later on as well as for those who will come after.

10) Don't leave a mess or make a scene in a restaurant. No yelling at the other thru-hikers when they arrive at the restaurant. No drunken stupor boisterousness in the trailtown bars at night. If you visit an AYCE, don't make a pig of yourself and for heaven's sake, don't try to sneak food from the AYCE back to your room in your pockets or your pack. There will likely be occasions where the other patrons in the restaurant are going to be looking at you - staring -- sizing you up as either a thru-hiker or a homeless person. Don't make them think you're a homeless person - have manners when you eat rather than scarfing food as fast as you can shovel it down your gullet. Make sure you're not wandering the restaurant with gobs off food sticking to your beard. Remember: Little pinkies up. The world is watching. Be the celebrity you always wanted to be, not the pig people will remember you are.

9) Make sure you clean out the washing machine you use at the laundromats along the Trail after your clothes are pulled out. Yeah, I know -- there may still be clods of mud at the bottom of the washing machine. Clean those out so the next person doesn't start out their wash load with mud from your thru-hike on their clothes. And guess what? There may be mud in the dryer when you pull your ahem, clean clothes out of the dryer. Just put your head inside the dryer drum and do a visual inspection of the inside of the dryer drum so the next person to use the dryer doesn't end up with Appalachian Trail stuck to their clean clothes. Britney Spears has people who do that for her -- you being a celebrity will have to do it for yourself.

8) When you meet people at a shelter and they're not thru-hikers, be friendly and cordial. What, you think just because they're not thru-hikers they don't deserve your conversation and you can sit in the corner and be aloof? If that's the case, your thru-hike has gone to your head and that likely means you probably won't be one of those who finish. The percentages against you finishing your AT thru-hike are already stacked way against you -- Why would you upset the gods?

7) Every single trail maintainer that you meet along the Trail - thank each of them. Tell them how much you appreciate what they do for the Trail. It doesn't take much effort to thank trail maintainers you meet along the way -- so be friendly and thank each of them for their work. You, as an AT thru-hiker, wouldn't even have had the opportunity to take on this great challenge without the work of the trail maintainers. So wise up and realize quickly the world does not revolve solely around you alone.

6) If you currently make six figures, bring $200 in twenty dollar bills along with you to specifically give to someone you meet who will be in need. Carry it in your backpack and don't spend it. Don't even think about it. You'll find, somewhere along the Trail, maybe not even until you reach Maine, how you can help another who has been less financially fortunate. Don't make a big deal out of it, don't talk about it to anyone else. You'll know positively when the time is right to utilize that $200 in cash to help another.

5) When you're approached by tourists and they don't know what the Appalachian Trail is about, take time out to talk with them and tell them about that footpath that runs all the way from Georgia to Maine. It will be a highlight of their vacation and will be one of such a great number of memories you'll treasure later when your AT thru-hike is completed. There's more than a good chance they'll want to get their picture taken with you so be gracious and stand there with them while someone else takes the photo. Then, take a photo of them so you have that memory captured for later.

4) It doesn't matter how much you think you're a celebrity - if you leave a mess in the shelter or a bunch of food or garbage in the fire ring you're a di.. I mean, you're disrespectful of the Trail where so many people have worked hard to make available to di.. I mean, people like you.

3) When you get to the ATC Headquarters in Harper's Ferry, be especially kind to the people there who work in the building. Most are volunteers who give their time freely to keep the gears working at the Headquarters. If they want to document your hike for a couple of moments (for statistical keeping, not because of your celebrityness) - let them. Get your photo taken if the volunteers wish to take your photo and put it into the ATC photo books.

2) Do not harangue people who have skipped sections of the Trail or those who are calling themselves thru-hikers who are not. I know you'll eventually figure this out but -- it doesn't matter when you're hiking. Why burden yourself with the actions of others? What, the burden of climbing and descending mountains every day isn't already enough of a challenge for you that you have to take on the problems of others as your own? That makes you more important? Makes you more of a celebrity? It doesn't. It lessens your experience. It will make the Trail more difficult for you.

1) Smile. Always smile. When you walk up to a shelter full of people, smile at them when you arrive. It'll be contagious! Smile like you are the luckiest person on the planet because you're able to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. Guess what -- you are.

Datto

ChinMusic
01-12-2013, 16:26
Great stuff. I was with you til the "pinky thing".

brian039
01-12-2013, 16:26
It's your one chance in life to feel like a rock-star. Well a homeless rock-star, anyways. And yeah you're not gonna have hot groupies, but whatever, people will buy you beer and let you stay in their house. Pretty much like being a rock-star.

kayak karl
01-12-2013, 16:33
get over yourself....

Camel2012
01-12-2013, 16:37
+1 good thread

I don't see how i could ever leave a motel room even as clean as i found it, but the housekeeper has the tools to do it. Always have lots of trash, and i will carry it out myself sometime, but i choose to just leave a tip with the amount dependant on the mess left.

I always considered myself considerate... I'm just not a housekeeper, maybe I'm a slob who doesn't clean their motel room. Guilty.

Camel2012
01-12-2013, 16:42
Just to clarify, i mean motel/hotel and not a hostel. Cleaning up after yourself at a hostel is different.

Jeff
01-12-2013, 16:42
Great article Datto !!! At times...we all need reminding!!!

Karma13
01-12-2013, 16:45
Thanks, Datto! Another great addition to the Datto Papers. :)

When I stay in a hotel, I leave a tip for the cleaning staff. Note to self: Leave bigger tip.

HikerMom58
01-12-2013, 18:41
Bravo Datto!! Great stuff! :) I was with a thru-hiker when he was approached by someone wanting to take his picture. It was GREAT!! :) We were in the Smokey's near Newfound Gap. Sometimes it's inevitable near "tourist" places.

Lady Grey
01-12-2013, 19:11
Beautifully said, Datto! I'll keep your tips in mind when I start my thru-hike in early March.

4shot
01-12-2013, 19:44
a good read. imo, the people who inspired you to write this are the "thru hikers" who eventually become section hikers....whether they stop at Hiawassee, Franklin, Damascus or Front Royal. Based on my experience, I believe that 98.87645% of actual thru hikers folllow your guidelines.

Lone Wolf
01-13-2013, 03:55
thru-hiker wannabes are a dime-a-dozen. hardly "celebrities"

fireneck
01-13-2013, 04:08
Good stuff!

Marta
01-13-2013, 10:34
Very nice. Thank you or putting this together.

quilteresq
01-13-2013, 16:18
Summed up? "Get over yourself, and follow the golden rule." Nice post.

4shot
01-13-2013, 20:55

nice summary. it's a shame that it (the original post) needs to be written but as someone said above, there's a whole lot of wannabees out there. these are the people that cause people to write posts such as Datto's, not the actual thru hikers. but the people that need to heed the advice unfortunately won't.

Aquonehostel
01-13-2013, 21:14
A great article Datto it's all about human kindness, and sometimes that can get you through........It's all in the mind :-)

Pedaling Fool
01-14-2013, 11:07
If you'll want to be "celebrities", then do a tour on a bike. Can't get away from all the crazy-stupid questions by going into the woods. Non-stop insane questions....

ChinMusic
01-14-2013, 11:51
If you'll want to be "celebrities", then do a tour on a bike. Can't get away from all the crazy-stupid questions by going into the woods. Non-stop insane questions....
Especially when you walk into that redneck bar with your spandex.

Old Hiker
01-14-2013, 11:59
I think there's a difference between a "wannabe" and an "attempter". The wannabe always has an excuse why not. The attempter is actually trying to make it.

The pinkie thing: can I only use my right one? The left one doesn't work too well with my tendon problems in the left hand. Otherwise, I liked the article!!!

max patch
01-14-2013, 12:55
Well, a lot of thru hikers certainly act like they think they're celebrities.

bfayer
01-14-2013, 14:01
Well, a lot of thru hikers certainly act like they think they're celebrities.

But you can't place all the blame on them. There have been occasions where I have come to a road crossing, or a parking lot when someone ran up to me and asked if I was a thru hiker, when I say no, they get a sad look on their face and say never mind.

I have seen signs for "trail magic" that said thru hikers only, and other such stuff.

If you give someone special treatment often enough, its human nature for them to start thinking their special.

I hold no ill will to thru hikers, well at least responsible thru hikers. I have noticed that NOBOs are afflicted with thru hiker celebrity syndrome more often than SOBOs. I have no idea why.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ChinMusic
01-14-2013, 15:28
But you can't place all the blame on them. There have been occasions where I have come to a road crossing, or a parking lot when someone ran up to me and asked if I was a thru hiker, when I say no, they get a sad look on their face and say never mind.

I have seen signs for "trail magic" that said thru hikers only, and other such stuff.

If you give someone special treatment often enough, its human nature for them to start thinking their special.

Maybe you are are just making a comment on MP's post but the context of this thread is NOT about thrus thinking of themselves as "celebrities". It IS about that person wanting to getting that pic of you until they found out you were not a thru.

Like it or not, there is no denying that there are more eyes on you as a thruhiker. Your conduct doesn't just affect how others look at you. Your conduct can affect how others look at those that follow you, and the trail in general.

bfayer
01-14-2013, 15:51
Maybe you are are just making a comment on MP's post but the context of this thread is NOT about thrus thinking of themselves as "celebrities". It IS about that person wanting to getting that pic of you until they found out you were not a thru.

Like it or not, there is no denying that there are more eyes on you as a thruhiker. Your conduct doesn't just affect how others look at you. Your conduct can affect how others look at those that follow you, and the trail in general.

You are correct, It's just that its easy to see why thru hikers fall into the trap.

The original post is great, and I hope it gets some thru hikers to think about their conduct along the trail. I have walked into places and received that "we don't like your kind around here" look just because I have a pack.

I have also seen my share of section hikers and day hikers set a bad example, but they do it because their natural jerks not because they were treated special :)

ChinMusic
01-14-2013, 16:09
I have walked into places and received that "we don't like your kind around here" look just because I have a pack.

I'm sure that will happen to me at some point this year. I will have to just shrug it off as coming with the territory. Those that have preceded me had their impact.

Datto
01-14-2013, 16:40
For the couple of incidents on my AT thru-hike where I was shunned or look upon with disdain, there were hundreds -- maybe a thousand -- incidents where kind people went out of their way to help. Quite a few of those people who were great help to me on my AT thru-hike had never heard of the Appalachian Trail.

That's why I say there is some kind of magic that follows the swath of land called the Appalachian Trail as it proceeds up the eastern lands of the United States.

Datto

Datto
01-14-2013, 17:14
As just one type of example of what I call the magic, there must have been thirty different drivers who had passed me someplace during my AT thru-hike when I was hitching into town who, down the road, stopped their car, turned the car completely around and came back to pick me up to take me into town. Some of those people had never heard of the Appalachian Trail -- they'd been on their way to someplace and had just made the snap decision to turn around and come back to give me a lift. It happened the whole way up the length of the Appalachian Trail too.

In the beginning of my AT thru-hike I made it a point to nonchalantly ask the driver why they turned around to pick me up (because it was starting to be so noticeably regular) and the answer would always be the same from the driver -- "I don't know." Later on in my thru-hike I didn't ask and just appreciated the help and said thanks to the driver.

At one point midway in my AT thru-hike, a fully loaded semi-tractor trailer yanked it over to the side of a busy four-lane highway to pick me up to take me into town. I climbed up into the cab wearing my backpack and started talking to the driver. After a few moments of conversation the driver said to me, on his own without me even asking, that his company had a policy against picking up hitchhikers and he didn't know why he'd made the split second decision to pull his rig over on a busy highway to give me a lift.

That's just the kindness from the drivers of the passing cars and in that case, a passing semi-tractor trailer. That's only a portion of all the incidents of kindness bestowed upon me during my AT thru-hike.

I don't have any explanation for it either. I'd like to think I'd received all those incidents of kindness from drivers due to my ehhmm, dashing good looks but I have to admit, most of the time I came out of the woods to a highway my hair was in a bun rocket headed to the moon and my clothes in tatters. I suppose my dashing good looks probably wasn't the reason. Dang.

I'd say it was unexplainable magic.

When you hear about AT thru-hikers having difficulty adjusting back into society after their AT thru-hike has completed, I would bet one of the reasons is the magic isn't found again when they'd returned home. And that can be a crushing disappointment for a person who has become so used to living in a magical world.

But, it seems all AT thru-hikers do immediately or eventually come back to The Real World. Changed somewhat or considerably, for many.

Datto

seabrookhiker
01-16-2013, 08:24
You are a better man than me, Datto. I don't have the energy to be a celebrity.

Lone Wolf
01-16-2013, 08:28
You are a better man than me, Datto. I don't have the energy to be a celebrity.

except for a busload or 2 of japanese tourists at newfound gap, nobody in any town thinks hikers are special or celebrities. hikers are a dime-a-dozen in towns. they're doing nothing special and a lot of times are messing things up

Spirit Bear
01-16-2013, 11:15
A "celebrity" thru hiker was set on fire in Gettysburg, PA last year, he made the evening news.

Highpointbound
01-16-2013, 12:40
Is Datto a woman? That could explain why people came back to give a ride more often. Hey, not that guys dont get rides, they do. But im sure its easier for a woman? Id probably hesitate more about picking up a guy than a woman.

tds1195
01-16-2013, 12:49
Yes, you're going to be a celebrity.

1) Smile. Always smile. When you walk up to a shelter full of people, smile at them when you arrive. It'll be contagious! Smile like you are the luckiest person on the planet because you're able to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. Guess what -- you are.

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing, Datto. Great tips.

Datto
01-16-2013, 14:02
Is Datto a woman? That could explain why people came back to give a ride more often.

Ha, no. I'm male.

My AT thru-hike journal is here:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=5030

My Whiteblaze Profile is here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?2789-Datto

Datto

Datto
01-16-2013, 19:44
When I say the word "Celebrityness" I don't mean it in the light of someone from Hollywood getting to cry to Barbara Walters when things don't go their way.

More along the line of meeting everyday people along the Trail who think what a thru-hiker is undertaking is astounding. And they can't believe their luck to have met one, met an actual AT thru-hiker.

And that creates the notoriety.

I guess I probably had maybe 50 incidents of "celebrityness" on my AT thru-hike, some of which I've written about in my on-line AT thru-hike journal, some of which I didn't.

One that comes to mind in Pennsylvania -- somewhere midway in my AT thru-hike. I'd fallen face first into poison ivy and had decided to take a day or two off in town to see if I could do something about the rash -- it was itching so much I couldn't think of much else. When I showed up at the motel and did the check-in at the front desk, the woman behind the desk told me I could swing my car around to the right so my car would be near my motel room. I told her no problem, I didn't have a car. She asked me how'd I get there if I didn't have a car and I told her I'd walked. She asked me where I'd walked from and I told her Georgia. There was this momentary look of complete disbelief on her face -- which I had seen before -- when she said to me, "You walked here all the way from Georgia?!?" And I'd said, "Yes ma'am" and told her about the trail out west of town that runs from Georgia to Maine and that I was hiking the entire thing.

We'll, she had to call some of her friends at the motel to come out from the back room and they came out and she told them I'd walked to the motel all the way from Georgia. Her friends looked at me with that same momentary look of disbelief so I told them too about the trail out west of town. Pretty soon, the one of the women said to me, "We have got to get you some free meals" which caused me to smile and pretty soon I had all the free town meals a thru-hiker can only dream about. Banquet sized meals, half-off coupons for the motel room, coupons for free shuttle service (normally a buck or two one-way), free coupons for admission to some of the events around town (of which I partook). I must have been an hour talking with those nice ladies at the front desk answering their questions and having my picture taken. One of the ladies drove all the way home to get her own camera and came back to take my photo with her before I'd left the lobby area to go to my room.

Much earlier on in my AT thru-hike I'd taken an enjoyable half-day off laying in the lawn outside the restrooms at Clingmans Dome with Keebler. She'd hiked the northern half the trail the year before and had come back to hike the southern half starting at Springer Mountain when I'd first met her on the Trail a few days earlier. Keebler told me I was the cleanest thru-hiker she'd ever seen on the Trail. I hadn't had a shower for nine days at the time and that would lead to me being called Datto The Clean before later-on in the year, my trailname would be further amended to become Datto The Clean His Royal Badness when I'd won a Thru-hiker Trivial Pursuit game we thru-hikers had arranged while we were waiting out a storm.

Keebler's comment to me outside the Clingmans Dome restrooms caused me to think I might be able to do a thru-hiker freshen up over at the Clingmans Dome restrooms so I excused myself and did my freshen up at one of the sinks in the restroom. Later, when Keebler and I hiked out, Keebler told me there were some teenage boys who'd come out of the restrooms when I was in there doing my freshen up and as they'd walked past Keebler lounging on the lawn, one of the teenage boys had said to the others, "Did you see that guy in the bathroom? I bet he's a thru-hiker!". Ha, yeah, not just any thru-hiker mind you, Datto The Clean.

Way up in Maine I was coming up to Route 17 and had been freezing my socks off for what seemed to have been days (I'd lost track of time by that point and couldn't gauge time and duration very well). I hadn't intended to go into town but the weather that night was supposed to go into the twenties and start snowing and I'd had such a strong urge to get a cup of coffee from being so overwhelming cold. I'd decided to take a few minutes when I came up to Route 17 and see if I could get a ride into someplace that had a cup of coffee.

A Toyota Land Cruiser was either the first or the second car that passed by me as I'd put out my thumb and the Land Cruiser was almost out of sight when I saw the taillights lite up and the car turning around. When I got into the car I tried not to make a big mess in the back seat but I was so covered with mud that it was hopeless. So I just apologized to the man and woman in the front seats and told them how sorry I was for the mud all over their car interior. They'd asked me if I was a thru-hiker and I told them I was and the man driving the car said, "Don't worry about it." They asked me where I wanted to go and I'd had out my AT Handbook by then and completely mispronounced the town of Oquossoc, Maine. It took a moment for the people in the car to figure out what I'd meant with my pronunciation and they'd laughed and drove me to the convenience store and the main intersection of that tiny town.

I'd strolled up the boardwalk-type sidewalk going into the store, knocked some of the mud off me possible outside, walked in and ordered a large cup of coffee at the check-out counter. Somehow I'd gotten a cup of coffee and I realized quickly my hands were shaking so badly I had to put the cup off coffee down right away so I didn't drop it on the floor. I'd spend a half an hour reading the maps and literature on the wall of the store before I picked up the cup of coffee again.

After the first cup of coffee I asked the person behind the counter if there was a place in town where I could get laundry done, I was told the town laundromat was in the basement. I remember thinking to myself, "What luck!" and then proceeded to buy and chow down four or five bear claws and a couple of candy bars with another cup of coffee (ahh, just so I could start feeling civilized again). Then I stepped outside with my pack still on and went down the exterior stairs to the laundromat. A lady was sitting just inside the basement door to the laundromat -- which meant I'd have to be washing my clothes in shifts. That was okay since I wasn't going anywhere fast either way.

I'd only taken a couple of steps into the spanking clean laundromat when I noticed I had a complete trail of mud following me into the laundromat so I went outside again, took off my pack and started scraping the mud off my clothes with the side of my hand, throwing the edge-mud out to the gravel. Eventually I got enough mud off me that I thought I wouldn't create such a clodding mess and went back inside. I had a ground cloth with me so I put that up on the counters to protect them from the mess I knew would happen when I pulled out the clothes from my backpack. I'd proceeded to put my clothes in the washing machine, got the coins inserted, started my wash and sat back on a plastic chair across the small room from the lady by the door. She was waiting for her clothes to dry in the dryers.

After about 10 minutes of silence, me with my head back against the wall with my eyes clothes, the lady says to me from across the room, "I admire you people so much." I opened my eyes and the lady was staring at me. I couldn't think of anything to say so I just said "Thank you." I guess I'd meant it for the entire cadre of thru-hikers I'd been hiking with who, like me, had been soaking wet for days and for the most part had gotten used to it while we were on our last stretch to reach Katahdin.

There were many other similar incidents that had transpired during my AT thru-hike -- Wayne and Linda from Michigan near Newfound Gap and the many other tourists I'd meet there who'd asked me if I was a thru-hiker and wanted to have their picture taken with me.

My experience was the incidents of "celebrityness" on my AT thru-hike were relatively frequent. I suspect the Class of 2013 will have a similar experience with "celebrityness".

Datto

Lone Wolf
01-17-2013, 02:00
you are SO into yourself. wow

Datto
01-17-2013, 09:40
you are SO into yourself. wow

Ha, Okay.

Datto

Jan LiteShoe
01-17-2013, 09:46
Hmmm, why the harshness? sounds like a reasonable and well written plea for courtesy and thoughtfulness along the AT.

Fur Queue
01-17-2013, 09:52
This thread made me laugh and cringe. Wish I hadn't read it really....I am now aware that there is an AT subculture and questionable status type posturing that goes on just about everywhere else as well....silly people.

tabaoutdoors
01-17-2013, 17:13
Last year at Clingmens Dome, a buddy of mine and I went out to the AT shelter near by to bring some "trail magic" to some thrus. We carried a box of Snickers bars to pass out. In all reality it was like meeting some celebrities. Got to hear some of their stories so far on the trail. I did not come across one person that was not nice. It made me feel good leaving there knowing that they were happy to talk to someone not doing a thru. They did not act like they were superior to us or anything. ...might have something to do with the Snickers, but hey!

Karma13
01-17-2013, 17:18
I don't live in a trail town, but if I live an hour and a half or so from the trail, so I can get up there and hike it. Aaannnnd.... I confess to meeting thru-hikers (and even long section hikers) and being a bit starstruck. I imagine it would be very different if I lived in an actual trail town and saw them all the time, lots and lots of them, especially every March and April.

dk1661
01-17-2013, 18:38
There are hot groupies, trust me : )

RED-DOG
01-17-2013, 18:44
Celebrity of what ? Thousands of people have done the AT before you that hardly makes anybody a Celebrity.

HikerMom58
01-17-2013, 18:49
There are hot groupies, trust me : )

I think I believe you & they call "their hiker's" hot mountain men... just keeping my eyes and ears open. Yup!

Datto
01-17-2013, 23:27
Celebrity of what ? Thousands of people have done the AT before you that hardly makes anybody a Celebrity.

Person A: "Hey, I'm going to be on the Tonight Show next week."

Person B: "Are you going to be the first guest?"

Person A: "We'll no. But I'm going to do my comedy act. I hope people think I'm funny."

Person B: "I see. Are you going to sit with Jay Leno and talk with him?"

Person A: "Well probably not. But being on the Tonight Show is something I've dreamed of doing most of my life."

Person B: "Thousands of comedians have been on the Tonight Show. Happens every weeknight. It's no big deal."

Datto

Datto
01-18-2013, 00:29
Class of 2013 -- I wouldn't let curmudgeons, antiques and the usual naysayers try to downplay your importance nor the uniqueness of your upcoming challenge.

Thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail is a big deal, a huge deal, and you deserve the utmost of their respect, support, encouragement and admiration. It's an immense personal challenge and you should be commended and admired for being the type of person who guides your life to do great things like this. Heck anyone can sit behind the wall of a computer, become hermitized to the 21st century and throw pot shots against anyone else's goals and dreams. That's the easy part, the easy way out of life. Person B dreamkillers always take the easy way out. Always.

The hard part is to encourage someone -- today, and every day -- to take on great challenges and succeed. To offer admiration and support and encouragement to others. Few people do that.

I say you are one of a great few. And in all likelihood you will run into quite a number of people on your AT thru-hike, possibly way more than you will find on this forum, who will admire you for what you are doing. They'll want to take your picture or have your picture taken with them beside you, or pay for your meal in a restaurant or just shake your hand. People who you've never met before who will want to do what they can to help you along your way, to be small part of your adventure, to offer encouragement. And yes, they are going to think you are special.

Keep those normal, everyday people that you meet along the Trail in mind as you hike northward and enjoy and appreciate the great adventure that awaits.

Datto

bfayer
01-18-2013, 08:37
Wow. I just don't know what to reply to that :confused:

Malto
01-18-2013, 08:52
Class of 2013 -- I say you are one of a great few. And in all likelihood you will run into quite a number of people on your AT thru-hike, possibly way more than you will find on this forum, who will admire you for what you are doing. They'll want to take your picture or have your picture taken with them beside you, or pay for your meal in a restaurant or just shake your hand. People who you've never met before who will want to do what they can to help you along your way, to be small part of your adventure, to offer encouragement. And yes, they are going to think you are special.

Keep those normal, everyday people that you meet along the Trail in mind as you hike northward and enjoy and appreciate the great adventure that awaits.

Datto

Wow, that ruined my day. To think I was one of the "great few" a couple of years ago but now that I only hike sections and weekends, I am one of those normal, everyday people. It's depressing.

Your first post, while a bit lengthy, had a few little nuggets. But the longer this thread gets the more I see the mythical "thru hiker entitlement" shine forth. Here's a news flash.... Of the couple thousand wanna be thru hikers, most of them won't finish. And for those who do, their fame will be 2000+ long but only a foot wide. You may have a hundred thousands hits on your journal and if you have an interesting journal, there will be folks from all over the world following you. But when you get back, few if anyone will be able to truly understand what you have gone through. If you want to be a celebrity then do something stupid and get a reality TV show. I you like walking then thru hike. To borrow a quote from Lone Wolf...... It's just walking. I'm grumpy today!

Datto
01-18-2013, 10:07
But the longer this thread gets the more I see the mythical "thru hiker entitlement" shine forth.

I've never said an AT thru-hiker has an entitlement of any kind. Nor have I mentioned a thru-hiker has more rights or honor than a section hiker.

It is the idea of a person, young or old, voluntarily taking on an intense monumental challenge such as that of an AT thru-hike -- to change the course of their life, to test their mettle, to set a sizable goal and accomplish that goal -- that is the big deal.

When you say there are so few who will finish their AT thru-hike -- that may be true. The attrition rate is enormous.

That's what I'm wanting to change. The attrition rate.

The other day I was talking to a long-distance hiker in-person and had mentioned some of the things I've posted here on Whiteblaze recently. The other hiker asked me why I'd bother. I'd said that I wanted to improve the attrition rate. The other hiker said to me, "Why would you want to do that? It'll just clog up the trail even more so."

I told the other hiker that I didn't want to see people leave a job and spend thousands of dollars only to have so many leave their AT thru-hike at Franklin or Hot Springs or Damascus. That there ought to be a way to change that attrition rate, not necessarily increase the total number of hikers on the Trail.

It's my thought, albeit somewhat naively, that if prospective AT thru-hikers had more realistic information from those who have gone before and could make a better call on whether an AT thru-hike was something they wanted to pursue, the attrition rate would be less.

And that's why I've recently posted, for discussion and debate and thought provoking, the information here on Whiteblaze. In an attempt to decrease the attrition rate.

For some, an AT thru-hike will be their first major personal challenge they've ever faced in their life. One of the great things about completing an AT thru-hike is a person realizes there are no bounds to taking on great challenges and succeeding at them. That completing an AT thru-hike may be more of a beginning for them rather than an end. It encourages a person to take on the next great challenge and the next.

So, it's the attrition rate I want to see change. Heck, I can't go out and do their thru-hike for them but I can offer my information and opinion beforehand, based up my own experiences and observations, to help a prospective AT thru-hiker come to a decision about whether an AT thru-hike is in the cards. Or whether, for instance, the person could take that effort and start a business. Or travel Europe. Or buy a house or whatever of the grand choices available for someone who's wanting to live fully. It doesn't have to be an AT thru-hike for a person to begin or continue to live fully. It's just that is something I know about and I see the immense attrition rate as something I can affect, even in a small manner.

By the way, I section hiked the PCT to completion -- from my perspective, section hiking is significantly more challenging than thru-hiking.

That's another reason I offer information, and opinion based upon experience and observation, to prospective AT thru-hikers. If they've set their sights on thru-hiking the AT it will end up, in the long run, to be easier to complete their AT thru-hike than it will be, over the course of many years, to come back later to the Trail and chunk off one portion at a time. I do believe there will be some AT thru-hikers reading this text who will begin their AT thru-hike and come to a point during their hike that they may say, "Why don't I just forego this right now and come back next year." That offers an escape out from the challenges of that particular day, not knowing that if completing the entire AT is a goal, then the choice to come back later, made only at a moment in time when things are difficult during an AT thru-hike, actually makes the challenge significantly more difficult.

So, it's the attrition rate I want to change.

Datto

SCRUB HIKER
01-18-2013, 15:28

+1 on this. There's nothing in there about entitlement, or anything saying that you actually deserve your celebrity status as a thru-hiker. But it's absolutely true that people treat you differently, in ways that are helpful but sometimes awkward, when they find out what you're up to.

It took a lot of effort to try and stay humble when people were always treating me specially. My friends and I talked about it a lot--we all found long-distance hiking EASIER than day-to-day life in the Real World, and couldn't understand, especially at the beginning before we got used to it, what all the special treatment was about. You just get up each day and all you have to worry about is walking, eating, and sleeping in beautiful nature. It's bewildering when, say, a crowd of day-hikers at a road crossing in Massachusetts gives you a standing ovation when they find out you're a NOBO thru-hiker (as happened to me)--I actually shrugged sheepishly and told them that I guarantee that I'm having an easier time of life right now than they are, and that trust me, I'm nothing to applaud over.

Maybe that's why thru-hikers get upset in the Whites--the AMC is content to treat us like the moochy little vagrants that we really are. And if you're a NOBO, by that point you've gotten so used to the special treatment that it comes as a rude shock. I have other problems with the AMC, but the fact that they refuse to fawn over thru-hikers isn't one of them.

All of the grouches who are saying, "You're not a celebrity if you thru-hike" are missing the point. You ARE a celebrity, but just like with celebrities everywhere, it's unclear why you deserve so much attention and special treatment. And all the people who say, "It's the thru-hike wannabes and not the real thru-hikers who are ungracious,"--I think that's incorrect too. Just like with celebrities everywhere, you might start out confused by all of the fame but eventually it's easy to get used to it, let it get to your head, and eventually you'll notice that you've lost all your grace. I know I was trashy sometimes during my hike, but fortunately I was able to catch myself most of the time and remember how good I had it. Here's hoping others can do the same.

ChinMusic
01-18-2013, 16:02
My friends and I talked about it a lot--we all found long-distance hiking EASIER than day-to-day life in the Real World, and couldn't understand, especially at the beginning before we got used to it, what all the special treatment was about. You just get up each day and all you have to worry about is walking, eating, and sleeping in beautiful nature. It's bewildering when, say, a crowd of day-hikers at a road crossing in Massachusetts gives you a standing ovation when they find out you're a NOBO thru-hiker (as happened to me)--I actually shrugged sheepishly and told them that I guarantee that I'm having an easier time of life right now than they are, and that trust me, I'm nothing to applaud over.

I wouldn't walk across the street for 99% of movie/TV celebs, but MANY would. BTW, they seem to have pretty easy lives too.........

HikerMom58
01-18-2013, 17:30
+1 on this. There's nothing in there about entitlement, or anything saying that you actually deserve your celebrity status as a thru-hiker. But it's absolutely true that people treat you differently, in ways that are helpful but sometimes awkward, when they find out what you're up to.

It took a lot of effort to try and stay humble when people were always treating me specially. My friends and I talked about it a lot--we all found long-distance hiking EASIER than day-to-day life in the Real World, and couldn't understand, especially at the beginning before we got used to it, what all the special treatment was about. You just get up each day and all you have to worry about is walking, eating, and sleeping in beautiful nature. It's bewildering when, say, a crowd of day-hikers at a road crossing in Massachusetts gives you a standing ovation when they find out you're a NOBO thru-hiker (as happened to me)--I actually shrugged sheepishly and told them that I guarantee that I'm having an easier time of life right now than they are, and that trust me, I'm nothing to applaud over.

Maybe that's why thru-hikers get upset in the Whites--the AMC is content to treat us like the moochy little vagrants that we really are. And if you're a NOBO, by that point you've gotten so used to the special treatment that it comes as a rude shock. I have other problems with the AMC, but the fact that they refuse to fawn over thru-hikers isn't one of them.

All of the grouches who are saying, "You're not a celebrity if you thru-hike" are missing the point. You ARE a celebrity, but just like with celebrities everywhere, it's unclear why you deserve so much attention and special treatment. And all the people who say, "It's the thru-hike wannabes and not the real thru-hikers who are ungracious,"--I think that's incorrect too. Just like with celebrities everywhere, you might start out confused by all of the fame but eventually it's easy to get used to it, let it get to your head, and eventually you'll notice that you've lost all your grace. I know I was trashy sometimes during my hike, but fortunately I was able to catch myself most of the time and remember how good I had it. Here's hoping others can do the same.

Wow... this is one of the best, most honest and "down to earth" written out thoughts shared, on this subject, so far.

When I was working at Curves in Daleville, I witnessed one of the members just reach into her purse and hand one of the hikers a wab of $$. The look on the hikers face showed her "surprise", just like you describe. She was grateful but you could tell she was wondering what she did to deserve it.

As a trail angel, myself, I do "look up" 2 the thru hikers for their ability to stick with the goal they have set for themselves. I know they get tired mentally and physically but to keep going until they finish is admirable. I like to be a "cheerleader" in helping them realize their goal they have set for themselves, for whatever reason. The "aggressively friendly" part of me comes out just b/c I'm a people person.

Very insightful and interesting stuff SCRUB HIKER. Thanks for sharing! :)

4shot
01-19-2013, 20:30
So, it's the attrition rate I want to change.

Datto

so if that's your goal...you could level the thing and shorten it by about 1800 miles. get rid of the bugs, heat, rain, pain, sleet, blisters, etc. If you did that more people would finish.;)

not to be pessimistic as I have enjoyed your posts, but there ain't nothing you or anybody else can write that will help the attrition rate. I read every piece of information,book, article, etc. that I could get my hands on. Read WB. Met and interviewed former thru's. While all of this was helpful, nothing really truly prepared me. The only way to find out if you can thru hike is to try it.

Datto
01-19-2013, 23:51
I just did some back-of-a-napkin calculations (attached) on the amount of money spent per year on AT thru-hikes that get stopped because it "Wasn't what I'd expected" reasons.

It looks to me as if the total cost per year for people who start an AT thru-hiker who later stop their AT thru-hike because it "Wasn't what I'd expected' is somewhere in the neighborhood of at least $4 million to $5 million per year.

That indicates there is a considerable education problem for people who start an AT thru-hike and stop their hike because it "Wasn't what I'd expected" reasons.

Not all of those people are Internet-savvy so lets just say only half of those people are Internet-savvy and should find information to clue them in on what an AT thru-hike entails. Let's say half of those Internet-savvy people are actually the kind that would pursue the information.

That makes it a target cost (or savings if the education was better) of at least $1,000,000 spent annually by people who are Internet-savvy and searching beforehand for information about what an AT thru-hike entails but for some reason, remain clueless and stop their AT thru-hike because it's not what they'd thought it would be.

Those are the people I'm wanting to reach ahead of their drop-dead date for when they're fully committed to starting an AT thru-hike (and these are the easiest people to reach).

It seems to me these people are reachable and those people could understand, ahead of time, it might be better for them to undertake something else (or stay with their existing job) before spending so much money.

Datto

Datto
01-19-2013, 23:59
Fixed the next to last label in graphic.

Datto

4shot
01-20-2013, 09:40
It seems to me these people are reachable and those people could understand, ahead of time, it might be better for them to undertake something else (or stay with their existing job) before spending so much money.

Datto

that's an ambitous goal.with that being said, let me reiterate....there was nobody who did more research than myself. Not only on the mundane (gear,which type of guidebook,etc.) but also on the psychological aspect of it. I wanted to know why some many failed to reach the end. I wanted to know what type of person finished. read ALL the books, WB, talked to people, etc. While that was helpful, I really didn't comprehend what it is like to hike for 5-6 months until I did it myself.

Back to your goal....let's say a person plans/prepares/budgets/ etc. and gets off at Neel's Gap or Franklin or Hanover or whereever, so what? They still had a nice adventure. As to the small minority that quits a good job or drops out of chool, leaves behind loved ones, wasn't prepared in any sense of the word, shows up with no tent or hammock because they are going to shelter every night, no first aid kit, etc.....there's a certain comedian, I forget who, who said "you can't cure stupid". You are trying to cure a disease that has no cure and this bunch is going to show up year after year at BSP or Springer regardless of your or my best intentions.

Capt Nat
01-20-2013, 10:02
I'm going to get under weigh this year NOBO. I will be doing autograph signings all along the way. If you see me, don't be afraid to have your picture or your childrens picture taken with me. I will be available for speaking engagements and public relations events anywhere along the trail. Some people get nervous, feel insecure, or just can't handle being in the presence of greatness. I respect that and will give you your space along with a wave and a smile as I know how exciting that will be for you. I would like to thank all of you, my fans, in advance for your support and inspiration. Rose petals in my path are a nice touch, Thanks, Capt Nat

4shot
01-20-2013, 10:42
I'm going to get under weigh this year NOBO. I will be doing autograph signings all along the way. If you see me, don't be afraid to have your picture or your childrens picture taken with me. I will be available for speaking engagements and public relations events anywhere along the trail. Some people get nervous, feel insecure, or just can't handle being in the presence of greatness. I respect that and will give you your space along with a wave and a smile as I know how exciting that will be for you. I would like to thank all of you, my fans, in advance for your support and inspiration. Rose petals in my path are a nice touch, Thanks, Capt Nat

I'd like a Cap Nat poster please if you already have them made up. and can I go ahead and preorder your book?;)

Datto
01-20-2013, 10:58
I forgot the cost of the groupies and placards. Plus hand out pens for autographing. All that stuff adds up, little by little. Pretty soon the cost of an AT thru-hike is all the way to $1,500.

That's comedian Ron White who says, You Cant Fix Stupid.

Datto

Datto
01-20-2013, 11:51
Yeah, there are certainly people on an AT thru-hike who are catastrophically foolish and could become great material for Ron "Tater" White. Those people are probably not reachable ahead of time.

There were people I met who weren't fools, who had done whatever research they could and still had no idea what day-to-day life would be like on an AT thru-hike. Completely surprised, to the detriment of completing their thru-hike, by what they'd encountered early on in their AT thru-hike. Those are the people who are reachable it seems to me.

It would seem to me there ought to be a method to halve that $1,000,000 of expenditure per year for those individuals who are reachable. A free thru-hiker kit, something, I don't exactly know what right now, to reach those people before they come upon their drop-dead, point of no return date.

Also, I haven't dreamed up a way to measure whether whatever action was taken to improve the attrition rate was becoming successful or not. I suppose there are the ATC measurements and that's probably as good as it is going to get for measurements without a great deal of additional bother and expense.

Still, it seems like there should be something that can be done to head-off normal, unfoolish people from starting an AT thru-hike that don't understand what's involved and could use that money and time doing something else rather than an AT thru-hike.

Datto

RedBeerd
01-20-2013, 13:25
Nice interesting post datto..besides the ridiculous people

rickb
01-20-2013, 13:31
I wouldn't walk across the street for 99% of movie/TV celebs, but MANY would. BTW, they seem to have pretty easy lives too.........

i walked right by Charles Bronson sitting on abench in Hanover on my hike. I didn't slow down or say hollow, bit at leat I GE to post about it on White Blaze from time to time.

I can't help but think if he might have relatedrelated me as a celebrity ifI had told him where I was walking from and to.

4shot
01-20-2013, 13:40
i walked right by Charles Bronson sitting on abench in Hanover on my hike. I didn't slow down or say hollow, bit at leat I GE to post about it on White Blaze from time to time.

I can't help but think if he might have relatedrelated me as a celebrity ifI had told him where I was walking from and to.

hey might have been thru-hiking.then his celebrity status would have been squared (regular celebrity X thru - hiker = celebrity ^ 2).while yours would have been raised only to the power of one.thus you more than likely would have asked for his autograph rather than giving him yours. assuming you follow normally estabilished celebrity protocol. Or perhaps you are what is commonly referred to as a "protocol blueblazer"...i.e. someone who doesn't follow conventional guidelines.

marjirob
01-20-2013, 14:49
Well written and an occasional reminder of trail etiquette never hurts. I hope to hike in this manner and hope to hike with others who are friendly, gracious and caring individuals. See you on the trail.

chief
01-20-2013, 20:17
If there is/was an attrition rate problem, it seems to me it was solved years ago by Warren Doyle. If I remember correctly, his group slack packs had a 90-95% completion rate.

Datto
01-20-2013, 20:53
Yeah, I met up with the slackpackers from Warren Doyle's group on my AT thru-hike. Those people told me what Warren had them doing on their hikes -- they were miserable the entire time. I wouldn't wish anyone that kind of misery.

By the way, I recently beat Usain Bolt in a 100 meter foot race. I did it on a Kawasaki with my feet resting on the ground the whole way. Must have beat him by at least 10 meters. I'm waiting for the Olympic committee to invite me to Rio. The invite should be coming any minute now.

Datto

max patch
01-20-2013, 21:06
I met a young lady on my thru who certainly could have used some pre hike intervention so that she knew what she was getting into!

Very petite, weighed maybe 100 pounds. Her first steps on Springer were not only the first time she had ever been backpacking, but it was the first time she had ever been camping. This was pre internet, she had basically decided at the last minute to do a thru, so she went to REI and them fix her up with gear. Her pack that first day on Springer weighed 50 pounds! She had no business being out there.

But she made it. All the way. S to K.

Malto
01-20-2013, 21:28
Maybe I'm a bit harsh but anyone that takes on a thru hike without previously doing multi-day backpacking trips deserves to lose their money if they quit because "it wasn't what they expected." Besides the money doesn't go puff, The outfitter at Neels Gap and other businesses in the first 200 miles make a killing.

chief
01-21-2013, 01:16
Yeah, I met up with the slackpackers from Warren Doyle's group on my AT thru-hike. Those people told me what Warren had them doing on their hikes -- they were miserable the entire time. I wouldn't wish anyone that kind of misery.
DattoYeah, I met the group also (in 2000). They had a few complaints, but I heard nothing of misery from them.

max patch
01-21-2013, 09:24

If they were miserable they would have either struck out on their own or gone home.

4shot
01-21-2013, 09:32
If they were miserable they would have either struck out on their own or gone home.

maybe not...some folks aren't happy unless they are miserable.;) It's the reason many people gripe about their jobs but keep going back day after day.

Datto
01-21-2013, 10:59

I asked them just about that same question -- they told me they'd already paid their money so they were committed. It was probably the 35+ mile days that was making them so miserable. Some kind of timetable to completion causing the mileage to go up so high -- who's timetable I can't remember.

Datto

rickb
01-21-2013, 12:59
I asked them just about that same question -- they told me they'd already paid their money so they were committed. It was probably the 35+ mile days that was making them so miserable. Some kind of timetable to completion causing the mileage to go up so high -- who's timetable I can't remember.

Datto

Not sure what to make of your observation considering that a far, far, far greater percentage of people walking with Warren hang on there to make a complete thru hike.

Certainly the investment made by many of thetradion thru hiker dropouts is greater than that of those who have been on one of Warren's trips.

The completion rate of those in his circles is most remarkable-- near 100%
ips

bfayer
01-21-2013, 14:26
ips

Doesn't he also make them sign something that says they promise they won't quit? Not that its enforceable, but it does put honor into the mix.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

atmilkman
01-21-2013, 14:39
Doesn't he also make them sign something that says they promise they won't quit? Not that its enforceable, but it does put honor into the mix.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
For the 2015 Circle Expedition this requirement has been eliminated. The former 127 day schedule has also been extended to 140 days.

Datto
01-21-2013, 14:57

You're correct -- from what the hikers who I'd met who were doing their hike with Warren told me (that morning in Virginia and at other times), there is a very high success rate as far as the percentage completing the entire length of the AT in a single season who are with Warren's group. The other very good thing Warren does, at least what I was told he does, is to prepare people as best as possible on what they will be facing if they pay to get on board with Warren's group.

It's unlikely I could have done what those people on Warren's trip were doing daily. I was in great trail shape by that time, had a relatively lightweight pack weight, loved being on the AT. Even if someone took my backpack away and all I had to do was walk, I probably still couldn't have walked 35 trail miles in a single day in that kind of excessive, oppressive Virginia heat on that kind of terrain, must less do back-to-back continuous thirty-something mile days for a long period of time like these people I'd met that morning were doing. The hikers that morning at what I believe was War Spur Shelter had tears running down their cheeks when they were telling me their story.

After a short while those hikers told me they had to get going because Warren was coming soon and he'd be wondering why they were taking such a long break. I said goodbye to them and wished them luck, closed my eyes and went back to sleep in my sleeping bag. A few minutes later Warren showed up at the shelter (I'd met Warren before so I knew who he was) and I talked to Warren for a while.

It seems to me there was a sizable gap between what Warren told them, which was probably an accurate portrayal, and their prior comprehension about what they'd be facing -- at least there seemed to me to be a great difference from talking to the members of Warren's group that day and on a few other occasions.

Not too much different, except in scale, than the perception gap of most AT thru-hikers at Springer Mountain when compared to what day-to-day trail life is actually like on an AT thru-hike. A test of adaptability and acceptance of change is certainly one of the big challenges on an AT thru-hike and I sure wouldn't want to be in the position to have to adapt to thirty something mile days or being unhappy so much of the time.

I can only imagine the breakneck pace was necessary because of a schedule to get back to college when school started back up in the late summer -- or some other similar kind of time constraint. All the people I'd met who were with Warren's group were young and college age.

Datto

max patch
01-21-2013, 15:03
A 127 day thru hike is only 17.2 miles per day. Carrying only an orange and a pint of water. Couldn't have been too many 35 miles per day.

Datto
01-21-2013, 15:07
They would have had to do 30+ mile days in Virginia to be able to chop the daily miles down in New Hampshire and Maine and Georgia in order to make the average mileage be a whopping 17+ mile average (which includes any zeros).

Just like a regular AT thru-hike range of miles hiked per day in different sections, except not near to the extreme required to do it with Warren's group.

Datto

atmilkman
01-21-2013, 15:26
A 127 day thru hike is only 17.2 miles per day. Carrying only an orange and a pint of water. Couldn't have been too many 35 miles per day.

They would have had to do 30+ mile days in Virginia to be able to chop the daily miles down in New Hampshire and Maine and Georgia in order to make the average mileage be a whopping 17+ mile average (which includes any zeros).

Just like a regular AT thru-hike range of miles hiked per day in different sections, except not near to the extreme required to do it with Warren's group.

Datto
The longest day on the 2010 Expedition was day 61 from Pine Grove Furnace SP, PA Rt. 233 to US Rt. 11 at 27.4 miles.

Datto
01-21-2013, 15:45
at 27.4 miles.

Interesting. I guess there had been quite a change from the heavy mileage and shorter timetables since I'd met those folks at War Spur Shelter ten years prior.

Datto

ChinMusic
01-21-2013, 15:54
I hesitated posting on Doyle's group but the OP doesn't mind the thread drift.

I can't imagine the structure of what Doyle's group does as being much fun. I want to be on MY schedule and not someone else's. I imagine feeling the pressure of hanging with a group you like is bad enough. If I want a long day, I'll do it. If I want a short day, I'll do it. If I want a zero.........

atmilkman
01-21-2013, 18:02
Interesting. I guess there had been quite a change from the heavy mileage and shorter timetables since I'd met those folks at War Spur Shelter ten years prior.

Datto
You may very well be right. The 1990, 1995, 2000, 2005, and 2010 Expeditions all had a 127 day schedule. The 2010 is the only one I have the logistics for and the War Spur Shelter is not listed as a scheduled stop. The schedule quite possibly had been "refined" by then. The 1975, 1977, and 1980 Expeditions were the shorter ones at 109 days. I imagine those were quite tough.

4shot
01-21-2013, 19:47
how many times has Doyle walked the thing???! His celebrity factor cannot be calculated - it's beyond human comprehension. we cannot know until after we have solved the unified field theory. or until we are raptured. I have heard that if you look directly into his eyes that it is like falling into a black hole. Warren Doyle is the only living being that Chuck Norris would ask for an autograph.

Is it true that after you walk the thing 7 times you get to the point where you are younger at the finish than you were when you began?

Carl Calson
01-21-2013, 21:32
it's a shame lone wolf forgot how to enjoy himself.

great post datto, i agree with pretty much everything you said. some good advice in there.

chief
01-22-2013, 01:17
At the risk of being redundant, I'll say again, I didn't see any misery in Doyle's group in 2000. Seemed like a pretty happy bunch to me. There was one guy who was running around the woods, naked and whooping it up. He may have had other problems, but misery sure wasn't one of them.

Lone Wolf
01-22-2013, 07:36
it's a shame lone wolf forgot how to enjoy himself.

i enjoy myself more by accident than you ever will on purpose

bfayer
01-22-2013, 08:58

Great quote, can I borrow that?

Creek Dancer
01-22-2013, 10:15
Since when is a long string of slackpacking day hikes considered a thru hike?

bfayer
01-22-2013, 15:39
Since when is a long string of slackpacking day hikes considered a thru hike?

I see your point, but I keep it simple, did they carry their own butt from one end to the other in the same year? Pack or no pack its still hiking. I'll call it a thru.

The real question is; did they take the canoe in Maine :) I hear I makes a difference.

Turtle'13
02-02-2013, 07:48
Good piece. Thanks for taking the time to pen it. A lot of moms and dads weren't there for their kids and as a result teaching good manners was a hit or miss thing. Nothing wrong with a little reminder. Like any other sport or hobby, one or two di....er, rotten apples can spoil the whole basket.

Carl Calson
02-03-2013, 21:55

that's a bold assumption. i don't see the joy in being a trail days narc, but maybe that's just me.

Train Wreck
02-04-2013, 00:30
For the 2015 Circle Expedition this requirement has been eliminated. The former 127 day schedule has also been extended to 140 days.

Warren's getting older :)

Lone Wolf
02-04-2013, 00:41
that's a bold assumption. i don't see the joy in being a trail days narc, but maybe that's just me.

that's a bold accusation there spunky. care to back your mouth with facts?

Lone Wolf
02-04-2013, 09:20
i don't see the joy in being a trail days narc, but maybe that's just me.

are you referring to The Place? a church run private hostel that strictly forbids drugs and alcohol on the property with signs posted everywhere? you must be one of the dopers i called the cops on for smokin' dope inside the building. if that makes me a "narc" then oh well...

atmilkman
02-04-2013, 17:51
Warren's getting older :)
This is true. (LOL) He'll tell you himself he's slowing down. The groups themselves are getting older. A lot more 50 somethings signing up.

Train Wreck
02-04-2013, 22:12
This is true. (LOL) He'll tell you himself he's slowing down. The groups themselves are getting older. A lot more 50 somethings signing up.

It's that wave of boomers hitting early retirement all at once.

Datto
04-05-2013, 23:49
During my AT thru-hike I hiked with a guy named Moxie -- he was a politician for his line of work and also evidently worked at the place where the AT profile maps were printed. Such a nice guy to have hiked with on my AT thru-hike. Great humor and commentary along the way.

Somewhere along New Jersey or New York a radio station in Maine from near Moxie's home town wanted to put Moxie on the radio live during his AT hike -- during the morning 8:00am drive time.

Moxie was a little concerned at the time because we'd all become accustomed to being in "The Woods" so much -- Moxie said the radio wanted to put him on the radio live and Moxie said that he was concerned he might say "$cx54x" live on the radio and the DJs told him that he wouldn't. Ha, Moxie was still a little concerned about it because we were so laid back about being PC and all.

Anyhow, Moxie did the radio interview live and did very well. I'm sure with Moxie's personality he was a big hit for the listeners on the drive time morning radio show.

Datto

Hairbear
04-06-2013, 08:39
Why is it expected that i undure being bugged by peoples expectations,while trying to escape peoples expectation in my every day life?

4shot
04-07-2013, 18:54
Why is it expected that i undure being bugged by peoples expectations,while trying to escape peoples expectation in my every day life?

at first i didn't understand your post then I realized it was in code. I can only reply, the fat walrus accepts no trail magic and takes the blue blaze into Gorham. Rendezvous at 0400 at Blood Mountain at checkpint charlie. The password is pancakes. please delete this post after reading.