PDA

View Full Version : 2013 awol AT guide arrived today

mainebob
01-12-2013, 18:17
was so happy this afternoon when I gothome from work and found two copies of the 2013 AWOL A.T. Guide inour mailbox.One guide book for us and one for my wife to use at home. The guide looks great and has a lot of new info comparedto my 2011 copy.

My 13 year of daughter (Sassafras) andI will be starting our NOBO thru hike March 21st, thearrival of the guide make is feel that much closer.

I do not know who is more exited.:banana

Hope to see many of you on the trailthis year. Kaboose

http://sassafrasandkabooseatadventure.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/user/mainebob6363?feature=mhee

HikerMom58
01-12-2013, 18:58
AWESOME!! So exciting for you both... I'll be following ...:)

mainebob
01-12-2013, 19:13
AWESOME!! So exciting for you both... I'll be following ...:)

Thank you.

Danl
01-12-2013, 22:00
Yep . I got mine also. Now to transfer all the notes. 1 note you might want is about the 180 Diner, page 11. I emailed them and they told me they didn't know if they would be open in the same place. Apparently having a problem with their lease.

shelb
01-12-2013, 22:52
Thanks for advising! I will order mine tonight!

moytoy
01-13-2013, 04:34
Last year I drove to get my copy. This year I think that I'll walk. It's less than two miles:)

Statue
01-13-2013, 04:50
I got my loose leaf version yesterday as well. I'm such an idiot though, I divided all the pages evenly into 10 different piles and stapled each pile together not knowing there are already a set of designated stations that allow you to do this properly. I was honestly just so overcome with excitement that I just wanted to fiddle with the damn thing.

Steve Jennette
01-13-2013, 05:08
Still looking for mine in Grand Rapids MI! I am guessing Monday, based on those who report having theirs now. I was a later order, imagine AWOL goes FIFO. Very interested in seeing it. My eldest used Wingfoot's in 2006, and unfortunately it was hopelessly out of date. Based on David's book, I bet his is very well researched.

Rain Man
01-13-2013, 11:46
I was honestly just so overcome with excitement that I just wanted to fiddle with the damn thing.

Did you really just say that?!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

Rain Man

Coffee Rules!
01-13-2013, 12:43
Good luck, and thanks for the links to follow!

Dash
01-13-2013, 12:48
I ordered mine last week but, on the site it says won't ship out til 1-14-2013 so because im moving the 19th.
Then leaving heading to georgia to hike the AT on the 30th. Ramen noodles land here i come.....

shelb
01-13-2013, 12:53
I bet his is very well researched.

It is fantastic on so many levels!

However, from the moment anything hits print, there can be changes. Thankfully, hikers are great about notifying him when they see changes, and he posts updates frequently.

"Atlas"
01-13-2013, 15:24
I used a 2011 copy last year and was thinking about using it again, its full of notes and my various dates. I skipped around A LOT last summer on my way to Harpers Ferry. Between white, blue, yellow and Aqua Blazing, I decided to go back to New Found Gap and Rehike, that being said, I am looking forward to the new 2013 guide.

What new info can anyone point to though that makes it a must have?

Robin2013AT
01-13-2013, 16:05
Got mine too!!! One way ticket purchased...see you there!

lobotomized
01-14-2013, 16:46
Just ordered mine today! Makes me wish I hadn't waited and pre-ordered it when I had the chance

Magic_Rat
01-14-2013, 18:11
Mine arrived today... I'm starting to plan out my first few days on the trail!

ChinMusic
01-14-2013, 19:21
I got my loose leaf version yesterday as well. I'm such an idiot though, I divided all the pages evenly into 10 different piles and stapled each pile together not knowing there are already a set of designated stations that allow you to do this properly. I was honestly just so overcome with excitement that I just wanted to fiddle with the damn thing.

OK, got my loose-leaf version today. What are these "designated stations"?

clowncsc
01-14-2013, 20:34
Got mine today to, reading it leaf to leaf to get certain points jotted down to give myself a heads up. Yellow post-it notes on pages that stick out as well.

Statue
01-14-2013, 22:40
OK, got my loose-leaf version today. What are these "designated stations"?
sorry, meant sections.

Astro
01-14-2013, 22:46
Got mine last week. Was so exited, that I planned out my month long hike for this summer.

Mspieraerts
01-14-2013, 23:28
Ill go get mine tomorrow. See you on the trail. I leave the 17th :)

lkn4air
01-14-2013, 23:53
got mine today

GreenMtn
01-16-2013, 11:07
I was just going to post about this! I'm going to attempt my first thru this spring and was wondering which book/books I need to bring. If I get AWOL's A.T. guide, do I also need the data book? Also, should I order the A.T. guide with the maps and mail-drop those to myself along the way?

Thanks - can't wait to get out there!!!

Old Hiker
01-16-2013, 11:23
Had the 2011 for my 2012 attempt - my Dad had the 2012 to follow my Trail Journal - slight discrepancies in mileage, etc. but nothing major. I had the data book as well at home, but chose to take only the parts of the AWAOL Guide I needed for each part. I took the maps for each section or three. The Guide matched well with the maps, in my opinion. He DID leave out almost every rock I tripped over, though.

I'm hoping he's still in business for 2016 - that and the AT maps are all I'm taking again.

RiverSong
01-16-2013, 16:39
Just perusing mine last night, I find there are about 5 extra miles sprinkled in, as compared to the mileage for the 2013 Data Book. Anyone know why there is a difference? I assumed that the ATC keeps track of the "official mileage"....does AWOL get his info from other sources?

Army Ant
01-17-2013, 07:35
Ordered mine 4 days ago, it's arriving today, so if you didn't pre-register no big deal. This will make 3 guide books I have bought. Gotta stop doing that, also have 3 pair of boots, two tents, 2 pair of rain gear, I buy one, test it and see something else that may be better. If I don't make it all the way, I'm gonna have one hell of a sale on e-bay!

Don H
01-17-2013, 07:45
I was just going to post about this! I'm going to attempt my first thru this spring and was wondering which book/books I need to bring. If I get AWOL's A.T. guide, do I also need the data book? Also, should I order the A.T. guide with the maps and mail-drop those to myself along the way?

Thanks - can't wait to get out there!!!

Most people only use one, and no maps.
I'd go with "The AT Guide" unbound and divide the pages into about one month (400 mile) segments. Have some send them as needed.

Awol2003
01-17-2013, 12:10
Just perusing mine last night, I find there are about 5 extra miles sprinkled in, as compared to the mileage for the 2013 Data Book. Anyone know why there is a difference? I assumed that the ATC keeps track of the "official mileage"....does AWOL get his info from other sources?

I collect trail data independently and conform my results to match “official” ATC mileage. The total (2185.9) is the same in the 2013 Data Book and in The A.T. Guide 2013.

RETCW4
01-17-2013, 12:35
Ordered mine 4 days ago, it's arriving today, so if you didn't pre-register no big deal. This will make 3 guide books I have bought. Gotta stop doing that, also have 3 pair of boots, two tents, 2 pair of rain gear, I buy one, test it and see something else that may be better. If I don't make it all the way, I'm gonna have one hell of a sale on e-bay!

I'm with you Army. I have the same quantities of the same gear. Must be a hiker thing.

Tumbleweed

shelb
01-17-2013, 21:38
I ordered it 5 days ago, and it is here! Happy dance!

Bill Strebler
01-19-2013, 13:24
I ordered it along with the BMT book, and I am anxiously watching the USPS tracking! Hopefully it will be here Monday. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas but not knowing what day it will be! I love data accumulation, but unlike many of my books and electronic files I accumulate I plan to put it to use very soon.

rocketsocks
01-19-2013, 15:24
**Thread Drift**

Bought Awol's audio book "AWOL on the Appalachian trail" for my ipod....and enjoying listening as I walk. have also read the book, it's a good one....shameless plug.

~we now return to our regularly schedule thread~

coach lou
01-19-2013, 16:59

Soldier, I see no reason to doubt your ability to be able to adapt and improvise to what comes your way..............................I carry 3 different rain coats in my car:(

hermit
01-19-2013, 23:20
Hi Maine bob;
I retired as a nurse after 45 years. I will be heading north on Feb. 25th. Hope to see you both on the trail. Hermit

mainebob
01-20-2013, 18:14
Hi Maine bob;
I retired as a nurse after 45 years. I will be heading north on Feb. 25th. Hope to see you both on the trail. Hermit

I think you are the 5th or 6th person from Maine I know who are hiking this year. I hope we get the opportunity to meet you. We are flying to Atlanta 3/20/13 and starting the trail 3/21/13.

Bill Strebler
01-21-2013, 12:25
Aw, man! No mail today! Which is ironic, because that makes the day seem much less like a holiday to me! Part of me wants to leave some of the planning up in the air, but the detail oriented part of me wants to come up with several backup plans for each day depending on how far along I am, with backup plans for all my backup plans. I think I finally realized why I'm no good at chess. I can never plan ahead to my satisfaction. I do like the thought of hopping the fence with a loaf of bread, some tea packets and an empty Gatorade bottle, but if the data is out there already I want to prepare.

Maven
01-21-2013, 21:30
I got mine last week from aol himself. He was giving a presentaton of his trip. Had him sign the katahdin page. Page 219. I hope I make it to that page!!!!

Cork
01-22-2013, 14:07
I found your blog! Very excited for you guys - for me too! See you up there! :)

lobotomized
01-22-2013, 14:26
I should be getting my guide sometime this week. I'm also getting a new backpack (atmos 50), air pad, and rain cover in today! GAAAHHHHH, I think I'm stuck in some kind of time-space continuum at work...

Bill Strebler
01-22-2013, 18:52
The package was so small I thought the mail lady came without it. I was about to send her back to look for it. I got The A.T. Guide NOBO loose-leaf and the Benton MacKaye Trail Thru-Hikers' Guide. They look like they'll work nicely together. I plan on hiking the AT in several sections, possibly backtracking from Davenport Gap to Springer Mountain via the BMT for my first trip.

The books look concise, yet not cryptic from being too brief, and definitely not full of lengthy stories and such which would have made the books less appealing to me for the trip, not that such books wouldn't be nice before or after. I would recommend the two to anyone who is going to be hiking the trails. The AT Guide seems to be the most concise yet informative reference in existence, and I don't know if there are other such guides for the BMT, but I understand it's not at all difficult to get significantly lost on the BMT if you wing it.

Zmaidment
01-22-2013, 19:00
Just scanned mine into computer so I have a digital copy. Took forever! Wish there was some way to buy it online. Even now not sure if I got it all in order. Looked everywhere for one. No digital options on really any guide

Awol2003
01-22-2013, 21:28
Just scanned mine into computer so I have a digital copy. Took forever! Wish there was some way to buy it online. Even now not sure if I got it all in order. Looked everywhere for one. No digital options on really any guide

Sorry if this news is reaching you a little late...see post #16 in this thread:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?91348-Anyone-Made-a-PDF-version-of-the-new-AWOL&p=1399274&highlight=awol#post1399274

mjfevig
01-22-2013, 22:18
Pre-ordered mine earlier this month, but it hasn't come yet! Driving me crazy with anticipation...