PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Backpacking Pots!

AllenM8
01-12-2013, 19:09
I am fairly new to the backpacking scene with doing about 6 backpacking trips total now. So far I have used the GSI ketalist, which seems really only good for making dehydrated meals. I've talked to a few of my buddies going to the AT in the next week, and they seem to be bringing bacon, steak, etc. for the trip since it will be fairly cold. I was wondering what a good pot set for me to upgrade to eventually for future hikes that give me more options. I see on our for sell forum all types of cookware but I don't know what is right for me. I would love something to fit my msr whisperlite stove in as well. Thanks for any help!!!

George

Duramax22
01-12-2013, 19:15
Well i have a gsi soloist which is pretty big, now i use a snowpeak hybrid which i prefer, but your not going to be cooking steak in it. i do have plenty of room to cook pasta and such in it tho.

The Snowman
01-12-2013, 19:47
Snowpeak makes some very nice high end cook sets as does MSR.

Feral Bill
01-12-2013, 22:19
Maybe just add a light fry pan?

FarmerChef
01-12-2013, 22:42
For steak or bacon you're pretty much in pan territory if you don't have a grill and some foil or something. Not sure how the "others" you refer to plan to cook theirs. I mean, you could cut it up small enough to fit in your pot. For rice or pasta sides that would be delicious.

q-tip
01-13-2013, 13:43
Oil Camp XLS Cook Pot-7.9 oz--saves 40% of fule - .5 liter boil time 2:00min- tested it myself

bert304
01-13-2013, 16:02
I carry the GSI buggaboo Backpacker, it has a nice size pot. I use it for my son and my self. Here is a link to Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/GSI-44215-Outdoors-Bugaboo-Backpacker/dp/B001LF3HYO/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1358107303&sr=1-1&keywords=gsi+backpacker

Here are some details: 2-person outdoor cookware set with pot, pan, and dishes
2-liter pot, 8-inch frypan, and straining lid
Two 14-ounce bowls and two 14-ounce mugs
2 Sip-It lids virtually eliminate spilling; folding gripper handle Nested items store in welded stuff sack, which doubles as wash basin

Odd Man Out
01-13-2013, 18:26
Rotalocura makes a titanium grill that would work for steaks, assuming you have a wood fire.

http://rutalocura.com/Ti_Grills.html

Trillium
01-13-2013, 18:44
For steak or bacon you're pretty much in pan territory if you don't have a grill and some foil or something. Not sure how the "others" you refer to plan to cook theirs. I mean, you could cut it up small enough to fit in your pot. For rice or pasta sides that would be delicious.I'm thinking that a pan would give more versatility than a grill. Any suggestions?

AllenM8
01-13-2013, 23:06
I'm with Trillium in thinking that a pan would be way more versatile. I guess I could bring a pan along with my kettalist so I can have something to boil water in as well as cook things as well. I think the Snowpeak or MSR pot sets would be nice as well though becaues I would have something to store my cooker, MSR Whisperlite, in.

Siestita
01-14-2013, 01:19
"...they seem to be bringing bacon, steak, etc. for the trip since it will be fairly cold..."

Those foods are tasty at any time of year, but are neither easy to prepare nor light weight. But, what helps keep you warm during long cold nights is not exclusively steak and bacon, but any fats that you consume late in the day. So, from a purely technical point of view, cheese, nuts, summer sausage, peanut butter or other "no cooking required" fats ought to perform this warming function just as well as a freshly grilled steak would, especially if those fats are consumed a with a hot pasta or rice meal, and perhaps also a warm beverage. If an evening is cold, you might enjoy cooking quickly and then crawling right into your sleeping bag for the night, as your friends shiver while performing more time consuming cooking activities. Tasks that are enjoyable to accomplish using a backyard grill at home on July afternoons may not be equally enjoyable to carry out after dark in January.

But, be practical and you could find yourself experiencing "steak envy or bacon envy" on the trail. So, here's another idea. I have sometimes poured a little oil into the bottom of a 2 liter aluminum pot and then used that set up (on a Whisperlite) to brown floured, previously cut up, pieces of round steak. Then, I've used that same pot to cook the meat more thoroughly, mixed with 30 minute brown rice, fresh green pepper, seasonings, and a fresh tomato.

For a winter weekend trip I'd consider preparing that meal a bit differently. I'd cook the cut up steak pieces well at home and then add them in camp to a Knoors (formerly Liptons) rice side. And, because I'd be carrying extra clothing and bedding weight (compared to my summer trips), in winter I'd probably be less inclined to bring along any fresh (but heavy) vegetables. Life's full of trade offs.

It's a myth that people need to buy expensive or complex cookware to eat well while hiking light. My "go to" pot these days is a cheap (about $7), aluminum one liter grease pot from K-Mart. The total weight of that pot, plus a light lid for it (fashioned from a disposable aluminum pie pan bottom), and my pot lifter (1/2 of a bandana) is about four and half ounces.