PDA

View Full Version : Two Week Notice

sublimety
01-13-2013, 14:00
On Tuesday I will be officially putting in my two week notice at work. It is starting to get real, the gravity of my choice is starting to hit me and I am filled with excitement and fear. The fear will subside and the excitement should grow as I get closer to my goal. Hope to see you on the trail! I will be starting on March 17 (or sooner if I get everything taken care of). Happy Trails!

"Atlas"
01-13-2013, 14:17
Congratulation on the commitment to hit the Trail. Are you planning on spending the time between getting out of work and starting the Trail, prep-hiking? I found that prep-hiking helped me last year and I am beginning again next week. It really helped to lose weight and strengthen my legs.

sublimety
01-13-2013, 14:36
Congratulation on the commitment to hit the Trail. Are you planning on spending the time between getting out of work and starting the Trail, prep-hiking? I found that prep-hiking helped me last year and I am beginning again next week. It really helped to lose weight and strengthen my legs. I am sure I will get a few hikes in between the time I quit and the time I leave, I usually go on about 2 hikes a month normally. Good advice. thanks.

TheGreek
01-13-2013, 17:18
Congratulations man. I'm in the same boat. Headed to Texas in 2 weeks to figure out my departure with the owner of my company, and moving to Dahlonega, GA in a week or so in order to be right by the trail for training purposes.

The funniest part is trying to explain the A.T. to people I work with. I get "Why quit, it'll take a few weeks right?" a good bit. The looks when I explain the length of the trail are priceless.

sublimety
01-14-2013, 11:19
Congratulations man. I'm in the same boat. Headed to Texas in 2 weeks to figure out my departure with the owner of my company, and moving to Dahlonega, GA in a week or so in order to be right by the trail for training purposes.

The funniest part is trying to explain the A.T. to people I work with. I get "Why quit, it'll take a few weeks right?" a good bit. The looks when I explain the length of the trail are priceless.

I know what your saying. I say basically I am quiting so I can go camping for 6 months. lol

Josh Calhoun
01-14-2013, 20:50
i hear ya buddy, im putting mine in on Jan the 25th. if you get out there sooner i might see you. im starting Feb the 16th but wont be making any speed records in the beginning. i have allot of family to visit all the way up to damascus

Osiris
01-24-2013, 01:26
Today I passed up a promotion at work, a raise of $2 and a change of working environment. With that I also put in my notice, tho I won't be leaving work until March. Was still nice to get it out in the open. Onward!

GreenMtn
02-16-2013, 00:36
Just put in 30 days notice. No more secrets and the outpouring of support has been an incredible boost. SO EXCITED.

Come on mid-March...get here!! :)

Mountain Mike
02-16-2013, 00:56
Good luck to you all! I gave my boss almost a years notice & a choice of when I would leave when I did my thru. He soon granted me a LOA, as opposed to quitting & agreed on a timetable. I had decided to go no matter what he said. I never have regretted it, even when I quit a job to go on a long hike. I look at it as living your dreams as opposed to dreaming to live. Years ago with a heart to heart talk with my dad about life, how I had little net worth as opposed to what he did with his life he said he wished he was a little more like me at times.
HYOH & live your own life. Enjoy your journey!

Half-Life
02-16-2013, 02:10
I never have regretted it, even when I quit a job to go on a long hike. I look at it as living your dreams as opposed to dreaming to live. Years ago with a heart to heart talk with my dad about life, how I had little net worth as opposed to what he did with his life he said he wished he was a little more like me at times.
HYOH & live your own life. Enjoy your journey!

Hear hear!

My good friend and I, on a hunt in August, spent a lot of time talking about the differences between our parents and us. It took a good amount of time for my dad to accept that I had not chosen the corporate path like he did. My brother makes great money, but he's always stressed and his body suffers for it. My friend watched his father spend 30 years working for a municipality, biding his time for pesnion and based on that, my friend decided office work wasn't for him.

Whenever and wherever I die, I won't be looking back over my life and thinking about workplaces and careers (unless I find something awesome!). Instead, I'll be remembering the adventures I took and the awesome people I met and shared them with along the way.

prancing ginger
02-16-2013, 08:26
I gave a 5 month notice at work and am really hoping everything falls into place to leave early May to start at Katahdin. The husband and I are selling all of our possessions and kissing this place goodbye. It's time for a new life and we are going to start it at Katahdin with only what we have on our backs.

RedRunnerJumper
02-16-2013, 08:42
I just handed my two week notice an hour ago! Things are feeling soo much more real! Though their sad for me to leave, this is worth much more!

tds1195
02-16-2013, 09:51
Congrats! That's awesome! Have a good time, man.

Max L
02-16-2013, 11:44
Way to go! I'm giving my employer 3 weeks notice March 4th. I have almost all gear, reservations are made, and I've begun to put mail drops together. But I think once I walk out of my bosses the 'realness' of this adventure is gonna slap me across the face.
Can't Wait!

tds1195
02-16-2013, 11:51
Way to go! I'm giving my employer 3 weeks notice March 4th. I have almost all gear, reservations are made, and I've begun to put mail drops together. But I think once I walk out of my bosses the 'realness' of this adventure is gonna slap me across the face.
Can't Wait!

Awesome man. It will slap you on the face for sure! But it's going to be worth it. Good luck to everyone leaving soon!

Wild Violet
02-23-2013, 11:49
One week left at work and I have a serious case of 'Short Timers'! One minute I feel like March 16th will never get here, the next I'm panicking because my To-Do list still seems sooo long. My brain seems to chase itself...kinda like my dog did when he knicked my Nutella and ate the entire jar while I was at work. (Don't worry, he's fine.)

sublimety
02-24-2013, 22:46
We are 3 weeks from our planned start date and it is starting to look like we may get on the trail a week earlier than expected. March 11 instead of March 17, Early bird gets to Maine! lol

TheGreek
03-01-2013, 12:10
Just gave my (official) two weeks notice yesterday.

It made my hike actually seem real for the first time.

It feels awesome.

Max L
03-06-2013, 20:56
Gave my fboss notice on Monday that my last will be 03/29 and let my coworkers in on it the next.
At work of the dozen or so people I've talked about my plans with only two people knew what the heck the AT is and they still really didn't have a clue.
Maybe it's because I'm in the midwest and in a city but I'm pretty amazed how sooo few people at work know whats up with AT... kind of sad. But i has been a blast explaining my plans to coworkers who are just in awe.
#1 most common question I've got.
-Are you bringing a Gun?
Answer: I've lived in Milwaukee for 3 years without a Gun I'll feel a lot safer in the woods for 5 months. :)

spinach
03-07-2013, 09:09
Answer: I've lived in Milwaukee for 3 years without a Gun I'll feel a lot safer in the woods for 5 months. :)

Yessir. I'm with you there, Max L. I'm from Milwaukee, too... pretty sketchy place at times, but hey- at least we have good beer. I'm starting a couple weeks before you. Maybe see you out there.

Have a blast!