PDA

View Full Version : Book: Murder on the Appalachian Trail

"Atlas"
01-13-2013, 17:24
I just finished Murder on the Appalachian Trail. The accounting of a double murder on the Trail in Virginia in 1981. Some of the things about the story were shocking, but crazy people are everywhere. One of the best parts of the story were centered around how very little has changed about Trail Culture and the seemingly wonderful people that populate Trail towns. Having Hiked last year I experienced a warmth and sincere appreciation for the Trail Culture, the simple outpouring of fraternal affection.

After reading the story I looked into what happened to the convicted killer, Robert Lee Smith. After prison, 15 years, and probation of 10 years, he went on to attempt another double murder near the Trail in 1996. He was fatally injured.

Anyone else read this book? What was your take on the story?

jj2044
01-13-2013, 17:32
Man im going to have to read it. the guy only got 15 years for killing 2 people ?? man our court system is screwed up

chiefiepoo
01-13-2013, 17:39
Man im going to have to read it. the guy only got 15 years for killing 2 people ?? man our court system is screwed up[/QUOTE]

Well, jj, the trial was not held in Texas. Results may differ there IIRC.

Southerner
01-13-2013, 18:33
It's been a few years since I read it, but I remember it being a rivetting story and a very well-written book.

I have camped several times in the Dismal Creek Valley -- most recently on my through-hike this past fall (I stayed in Wapiti Shelter, the murder site in 1981) and notably in 2008 in the same campground only weeks before Smith's double-murder attempt (thank God it was only an attempt this time and the victims miraculously survived). The valley is very dark and eerie, though I am sure the valley's infamy as the murders site plays into that as well as the rather unfortunate name. Whatever it is, the place casts a pallor of gloom, even though it is a very pretty area, especially if you are a fan of creekside walks and laurel thickets. And, I will say that I felt a lot less creeped-out staying there knowing that Smith is dead than I felt in other places where there are unresolved murders (like Cow Camp Gap).

A couple of things about the case against Smith -- 1.) I think his plea and relatively light sentence for having murdered two people came about in part because the prosecutor had to rely a lot on circumstantial evidence, and, had the case gone to trial, a conviction was not a sure bet. The standard of proof is, after all, "beyond a reasonable doubt." Plus, by negotiating a plea, the prosecutor avoided the possibility that Smith would try (and not unlikely carry) an insanity defense. 2.) Ironically, about the time Smith was getting out of prison (the gubernatorial term of now Macaca-infamous George Allen), Virginia abolished parole, though it only applied to future sentencing.

rickb
01-13-2013, 18:55
Man im going to have to read it. the guy only got 15 years for killing 2 people ?? man our court system is screwed up

And even more so when you learn about the two campers he shot after his release.

Wise Old Owl
01-13-2013, 19:33
And most folk post fear of bears.

mtntopper
01-13-2013, 20:43
He shot 2 guys that were fishing, and was later arrested, he died in jail shortly after being arrested

HikerMom58
01-13-2013, 20:49
I remember that... they closed a portion of the trail. The local news was interviewing hikers. It was the summer of 2008.

Papa D
01-13-2013, 21:48
This happened at Wapiti Shelter, right?

Lone Wolf
01-13-2013, 21:49
yes........

rickb
01-13-2013, 21:51
But which one?

Lone Wolf
01-13-2013, 21:56

Rain Man
01-14-2013, 00:07
man our court system is screwed up

It sure is in Texas. But then, if you don't like the American system of justice, I'm guessing there are other countries around the world that might take you. Also where crazy people can freely get their hands on guns.

It has been a while since I read the book, but I seem to recall since then that the particular shelter was torn down. There is no longer a Wapiti 2 shelter, is there?

Rain Man

Northern Lights
01-14-2013, 00:16
And most folk post fear of bears.

It's a reasonable fear, there are more bears than killers on the trail. Just saying :)

rickb
01-14-2013, 08:09
It's a reasonable fear, there are more bears than killers on the trail. Just saying :)

I see the smiley, but on a serious note...

No one hiking the AT has ever been seriously injured much less killed by a bear on the Trail.

Five thru hikers (all of them many hundreds of miles into their walks from one end of the trail to the other) and one long-distance section hiker have been killed by a murderer on the AT.

In point of fact, more THRU HIKERS have been killed on the Trail at the hands of a complete stranger than by drowning, lightening, snakes, insect allergy, hypothermia, heatstroke, hunting accidents, road/car accidents and tree fall, and bears combined.

Newb
01-14-2013, 10:16
the most dangerous animal in the woods walks on two legs.

Pedaling Fool
01-14-2013, 11:17
I don't remember the details, but the guy didn't get off for double-murder in the first degree, rather in the second degree, so the sentence was appropriate, assuming it was second degree.

Now we all know it wasn't second degree, but that's all the evidence would support. So our Judicial system is fine. Imagine if we could lock him up for life without the evidence to support, maybe that would be good in that case, but think of how that power could be abused in the umpteen other cases.

Society is still very much intact.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2013, 11:22
No one hiking the AT has ever been seriously injured much less killed by a bear on the Trail.

Five thru hikers (all of them many hundreds of miles into their walks from one end of the trail to the other) and one long-distance section hiker have been killed by a murderer on the AT.

In point of fact, more THRU HIKERS have been killed on the Trail at the hands of a complete stranger than by drowning, lightening, snakes, insect allergy, hypothermia, heatstroke, hunting accidents, road/car accidents and tree fall, and bears combined.
not to mention the rapes, assaults and robberies too yet nobody wants to protect themselves from humans, a lot of thought goes into protecting themselves from bears. waste of time. i choose not to be a victim..

Alleghanian Orogeny
01-14-2013, 13:35
not to mention the rapes, assaults and robberies too yet nobody wants to protect themselves from humans, a lot of thought goes into protecting themselves from bears. waste of time. i choose not to be a victim..

In June 1978 4 high-school aged girls were raped and beaten by 5 men in a two-hour ordeal at the Moreland Gap shelter just NOBO of US 19E. It was their first night on the trail and they'd walked past some of the guys where the trail parallels a road as they headed up from the highway. The fine, upstanding citizens of Buck Mountain, TN, from which all 5 perps were from, assisted in the hiding of the perps for periods ranging from weeks to months. One of the victims was a member of my church here in Raleigh, NC.

As my interest in all things AT surges again after decades of dormancy, I see Buck Mountain, US 19E, Hampton, and environs still has a dirty reputation for hostility towards hikers and backpackers. What a shame--it's a beautiful area to visit and the locals could benefit from a more welcoming stance towards tourism.

AO

Rain Man
01-14-2013, 14:50
In June 1978 4 high-school aged girls were raped and beaten by 5 men in a two-hour ordeal at the Moreland Gap shelter just NOBO of US 19E.

Thirty-five years ago? You're dredging up something that old, without substantiation? Give us a link to an authoritative site. Give us some details. Were these nine people all locals out for a drunken party? Were the "men" also high-school aged? Was the "AT" merely incidental and they were not hiking it at all?

I'm not much of one for half-truths, nor for having to guess at the back story.

Rain Man

Alleghanian Orogeny
01-14-2013, 15:31
Thirty-five years ago? You're dredging up something that old, without substantiation? Give us a link to an authoritative site. Give us some details. Were these nine people all locals out for a drunken party? Were the "men" also high-school aged? Was the "AT" merely incidental and they were not hiking it at all?

Rain Man

Take it easy, Rain Man. I was just adding (truthful) comment to the LW's notation that rapes and assaults occur along the AT just like they do everywhere else in the world. That's hardly "dredging up" something irrelevant to the discussion. And, perhaps a tiny bit of homework is in order before an accusation of "half-truths" is leveled. This incident has been discussed here on WB within the context of the US 19E crossing area being sketchy.

Finding newspaper accounts of the attacks and the multi-state manhunts for the perps is simple. I did it by googling "Billy Johnson + rape + Appalachian Trail". Within seconds of initiating the search, I was on to newspaper clippings detailing the girls' plans (they were 16 and 17 years of age, and there were 4 of them) to spend up to two weeks along the AT starting at US 19E and ending in Damascus. They walked past some of their attackers along the segment of the AT which runs right along or beside a road as they left US 19E. They set up camp at Moreland Gap (something some additional research located a newspaper clipping detailing). Their attackers, 5 men, all of whom resided at Buck Mountain at the time, entered their camp at around 8:30pm. They had a quart of moonshine which they passed among themselves. The girls testified that they were robbed, slapped, and threatened with knives. They also testified to having had moonshine poured into their eyes. The attackers separated the 4 from one another and raped all four. The attack ended only when the sound of a vehicle alarmed the attackers and they fled. The girls fled also and spent the night and part of the next day walking all the way to near Hampton, TN, where they flagged down a sheriff's deputy. Three of the attackers were brothers--Oates was their surname. The last of the Oates was captured in late September 1978, over two months after the attacks, asleep in a hiding place outside of his parents' home on Buck Mountain.

Perhaps interested parties can develop more reports more about this incident. The basic facts were very common knowledge among those of us with connections to the Elk Park, NC/Roan Mountain, TN area (Appalachian State U, Class of 1978--we used to drive to the State Line Package Store to buy beer not available in NC at the time, such as Stroh's Fire-Brewed from Detroit) and especially among residents of Raleigh, NC, where all 4 girls were high school students right in the part of town I've lived in since 1964. The girl from my church was just a year or two behind my sister in high school and her mother has been a friend of the family for 50 years. Though I did not find newspaper stories or other documentation of it, my recollection says one of the attackers escaped from jail prior to trial and was again at large within the Buck Mountain community, aided by family and friends, before being recaptured.

My interest in the 1978 incident was piqued upon learning that the individual who attacked some AT hikers at the Beauty Spot was from the town of Roan Mountain, TN, just 3 miles north on US 19E from the AT crossing. It made me think "man, those guys who attacked the girls from Raleigh were from that immediate area, too". I began to wonder what the trial outcomes/criminal penalties for the attackers had been. Some of the high spots of the 1978 incident came back to my aging memory, and Mr. Google did the rest.

AO

bfayer
01-14-2013, 15:32

Well said.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Dr. Professor
01-14-2013, 15:34
Story is true (mentioned in this article I googled): http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1454&dat=19800407&id=bsksAAAAIBAJ&sjid=RBMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4456,1678086

rickb
01-14-2013, 17:47
Some would prefer that these kinds of tragedies not be acknowledged, much less talked about.To their credit the ATC published a detailed account of this on a few years back. If I am not mistaken this uncharacteristic article appeared their magazine to coincide with the change of the mags name and/or the installation of a new editor.Good for them, but that publication has certainly failed to note much in the way of other and more contemporaneous events. Not even a line or two.

fcoulter
01-14-2013, 17:54
Some would prefer that these kinds of tragedies not be acknowledged, much less talked about.To their credit the ATC published a detailed account of this on a few years back. If I am not mistaken this uncharacteristic article appeared their magazine to coincide with the change of the mags name and/or the installation of a new editor.Good for them, but that publication has certainly failed to note much in the way of other and more contemporaneous events. Not even a line or two.

If you're really interested, you could set up a Google alert for "Appalachian Trail" and murder (or any other crime you're interested in). When a news story is published on the web with those terms, you'll get an email. After you read the article, if you think it would be of interest to the WhiteBlaze community, you can post a link to the story.

You don't need to wait for the ATC to disclose any such news.

clowncsc
01-14-2013, 20:53
There's also a dateline or 20/20 episode about said killer, he died after getting into a high speed chase with cops after the two attempted shootings. He died from injuries while still in prison, pretty sure he lived in a house that was a stones throw to the trail.

clowncsc
01-14-2013, 20:55

Rain Man

jeeez someone piss in your oatmeal or something.

Rain Man
01-14-2013, 22:18
Take it easy, Rain Man.

Thank you for "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey used to say.

You posted a very abbreviated, unsubstantiated story. I called you on it. You manned up and fleshed it out.

That's good enough for me. Thanks.

Rain Man

Alleghanian Orogeny
01-15-2013, 09:35

You posted a very abbreviated, unsubstantiated story. I called you on it. You manned up and fleshed it out.

That's good enough for me. Thanks.

Rain Man

I appreciate you making me aware that every comment on this forum requires footnoting and documentation. I apologize for my failure and will do my best to meet the standard in the future. I'm particularly relieved to know I am now, in your opinion, a man.

Seriously, sir, there is no justification for your knee-jerk reaction nor your condescending manner. Furthermore, there is no requirement for posts in this forum to be "good enough" for you.

The June 1978 incident was common knowledge to anybody who followed current events at the time. For those interested in learning more about it, the facts and "substantiation" take less time to click up than it took for you to type in your initial reply. My commenting on the events, in the context of supporting a prior post, can in no way be argued to have been the posting of an abbreviated, unsubstantiated story. The only purpose of my initial comment was to add real-world facts to the statement that assaults and rapes occur along the AT, which is itself a real-world fact. If you were half as interested in doing your own homework as you seem to be in posting aggrandizing statements of your personal opinion, you'd have realized that.

Now, back to that oatmeal.......

AO

Hikemor
01-15-2013, 10:06
I read "Murder on the Appalachian Trail" a long time ago. Out of necessity, much of the interaction between Smith and the hikers in the book is fictionalized and the reader should remember that. Also, as I recall, Smith's plea bargain, the circumstantial nature of the evidence and the reletively light sentence are covered in the book.

The history of the Wapiti shelters has been a little foggy for me. IIRC the first Wapiti shelter was disassembled, moved to another site and reassembled as Wapiti II. A new Wapiti (I) was constructed, posibly not on the exact site of the original Wapiti. Wapiti II was later demolished. Wapiti II was the site of the murders.

rickb
01-15-2013, 13:14
Seriously, sir, there is no justification .... AO

Keep in mind that many lovers of the Trail think that any discussion of crime on the AT is tantamount to fear mongering. I couldn't disagree more, but by and large their hearts are in the right place.

The same could be said for many college administrators who historically would not report -- and even actively hide on occasion -- crimes on their beloved campuses. Most of them learned better over the past decade.

To way of thinking information can make people even safer on a Trial that is fairly safe to begin with.

Lone Wolf
01-15-2013, 13:18
Keep in mind that many lovers of the Trail think that any discussion of crime on the AT is tantamount to fear mongering. I couldn't disagree more, but by and large their hearts are in the right place.

The same could be said for many college administrators who historically would not report -- and even actively hide on occasion -- crimes on their beloved campuses. Most of them learned better over the past decade.

To way of thinking information can make people even safer on a Trial that is fairly safe to begin with.back in 90 the ATC was of no help to PA state police in relation to the double murder outside on Duncannon. it 3 3 hiker friends of mine to track down and have Crews apprehended

tjkenney67
01-15-2013, 13:57
Not to go off thread but... And then there is this brutal homicide in January 2008 in Neels Gap / Blood Mountain...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meredith_Emerson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meredith_Emerson)

HikerMom58
01-15-2013, 14:14
back in 90 the ATC was of no help to PA state police in relation to the double murder outside on Duncannon. it 3 3 hiker friends of mine to track down and have Crews apprehended

Laurie P, at the ATC, was very helpful to me as a concerned mom in 2008 when my daughter was on the trail. My concern was people on the trail that was not of sound mind. When we were hiking with daughter in MA the trail registers were full of first hand interactions with "said person". Just to be clear, they have a right to be on the trail just as much as anyone. Until they harm themselves or someone else there's nothing anyone can do. They have pulled people off the trail for threatening to kill themselves or others in a very definitive way. That info was shared with me by law enforcement. I was also told that everyone, on the trail, are the eyes and ears. They really appreciate all info from hikers and will take the info seriously.

rickb
01-15-2013, 18:38
back in 90 the ATC was of no help to PA state police in relation to the double murder outside on Duncannon. it 3 3 hiker friends of mine to track down and have Crews apprehended

Lone Wolf,

I am sure I never thanked you for that extraordinary effort, but I often think about it when reading one of your posts. So let me say it now, "Thank You".

Rick B

shelb
01-15-2013, 22:24
It sure is in Texas. But then, if you don't like the American system of justice, ...there are other countries around the world that might take you. ...

Right on that one!

shelb
01-15-2013, 22:49

What a memory that brings back!!!

Nomad
03-01-2013, 22:08
I can't provide a link to an authoritative site, but an acquaintance of mine recently gave me an account of the attack near Buck Mountain. His brother was one of the perps. Apparently those locals, yes they were high-school/college aged beer guzzlers, spotted the girls crossing Walnut Mtn. Road, followed them into the remote area and had their way. He never mentioned Moreland Gap as the exact location, but indicated the attack was something like a half-mile NOBO of the road crossing.

The distance from Walnut Mtn. Rd. to Moreland Gap is something like 7 miles. No drunk redneck is gonna hike that far for anything. In general, you should never stop, loiter or camp anywhere near a road crossing. These people live in their vehicles, and they judge each other by what vehicles they own. When you come to a road crossing, cross the damn road and move on. They don't like to be too far from their truck.

He went on to say how the hostility in this area goes back to the days of the TVA with their forced relocation of thousands of families, and then again when the guv'mint took the land they needed (eminent domain) to make the AT go through Buck Mtn. in the forest rather than on the road. The burning of Don Nelan shelter back in about '92 was supposedly another response by the locals to show those SOB yankees who's boss 'round those parts. The people here are, well let's say they're not very sophisticated, and burning someone's house to the ground is a perfectly acceptable way to set things a-right when you've been done wrong.

However, he went on to say: that was then and this is now, the old wounds about the AT have mostly healed, the old disgruntled hillbillies are now doting grandparents or have died off and today hikers are as safe here as anywhere. I've been in Roan Mtn. 3 years now, I see hikers walking down 19E into town nearly year-round. Don't know of any incidents. If I see ya, I'll pick you up and bring you into town or you can camp in my back holler.

Maybe one day
03-02-2013, 07:58
I have not read the book that is the subject of the original post, but I did see a documentary of some type on it. An interesting story to say the least.

k2basecamp
03-02-2013, 09:39
I was a couple of weeks behind the couple from Maine on my '81 thru. Needless to say I did not stay at the Wapiti II shelter but camped near the dismal creek area. In the day before cell phones my mother had not heard from me and was pretty thankful to get a collect call (remember those) from me.

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-02-2013, 10:43
I can't provide a link to an authoritative site, but an acquaintance of mine recently gave me an account of the attack near Buck Mountain. His brother was one of the perps. Apparently those locals, yes they were high-school/college aged beer guzzlers, spotted the girls crossing Walnut Mtn. Road, followed them into the remote area and had their way. He never mentioned Moreland Gap as the exact location, but indicated the attack was something like a half-mile NOBO of the road crossing.

The distance from Walnut Mtn. Rd. to Moreland Gap is something like 7 miles. No drunk redneck is gonna hike that far for anything. In general, you should never stop, loiter or camp anywhere near a road crossing. These people live in their vehicles, and they judge each other by what vehicles they own. When you come to a road crossing, cross the damn road and move on. They don't like to be too far from their truck.

He went on to say how the hostility in this area goes back to the days of the TVA with their forced relocation of thousands of families, and then again when the guv'mint took the land they needed (eminent domain) to make the AT go through Buck Mtn. in the forest rather than on the road. The burning of Don Nelan shelter back in about '92 was supposedly another response by the locals to show those SOB yankees who's boss 'round those parts. The people here are, well let's say they're not very sophisticated, and burning someone's house to the ground is a perfectly acceptable way to set things a-right when you've been done wrong.

However, he went on to say: that was then and this is now, the old wounds about the AT have mostly healed, the old disgruntled hillbillies are now doting grandparents or have died off and today hikers are as safe here as anywhere. I've been in Roan Mtn. 3 years now, I see hikers walking down 19E into town nearly year-round. Don't know of any incidents. If I see ya, I'll pick you up and bring you into town or you can camp in my back holler.

I'd never heard of the location of the attacks directly from the victim's family who are fellow church members. One of the many newspaper articles mentioned Moreland Gap shelter as being the spot. It's not unusual for reporters to get it wrong. Thanks for the details.

Despite a nearly lifelong periodic presence in the vicinity of Boone, NC, and innumerable trips from there through Elk Park and the village of Roan Mountain, TN, I'd never been up to Carvers Gap, etc, until January of this year. What a splendid place to visit, and I will undoubtedly be back for more come warmer weather.

AO

Lone Wolf
03-02-2013, 10:48
it happened around a fire tower that used to be on the AT a couple miles north of moreland gap shelter. you could drive right up to it

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-02-2013, 12:23
it happened around a fire tower that used to be on the AT a couple miles north of moreland gap shelter. you could drive right up to it

GOOD MORNING, SIR, GREAT TO SEE YOU POSTING!

The various accounts of these attacks refer to the perps having driven to a point close to the site of the attacks, and to the assaults ending only when the sound of an approaching vehicle caused the perps to flee.

Get well soon, LW.

AO

Lone Wolf
03-02-2013, 12:28
GOOD MORNING, SIR, GREAT TO SEE YOU POSTING!

The various accounts of these attacks refer to the perps having driven to a point close to the site of the attacks, and to the assaults ending only when the sound of an approaching vehicle caused the perps to flee.

Get well soon, LW.

AO

i'm well. the post about my heart attack and surgery is 4 years old. thank you though

Nomad
03-02-2013, 12:33
Ah, I was wondering how: "The attack ended only when the sound of a vehicle alarmed the attackers and they fled" because there is no public road to Moreland Gap. Well, there is a dirt road that goes from 19E straight up to Moreland Gap Shelter, and it -is- named Moreland Gap Rd., but you can't just waltz thru there past the private property and FS gates. I hiked around there recently and found an old 70s model abandoned car on the side of the road, so maybe this fire road was unblocked back in '78. But what LW says sound right anyway, because you -can- drive to the old fire tower, which is now a cell tower (and if you look around, you'll find an old 2-seat privy ).

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-02-2013, 13:28
i'm well. the post about my heart attack and surgery is 4 years old. thank you though

I guess I need to be more careful with my reading. Glad to know all's well.

AO

Alleghanian Orogeny
03-02-2013, 13:37
Ah, I was wondering how: "The attack ended only when the sound of a vehicle alarmed the attackers and they fled" because there is no public road to Moreland Gap. Well, there is a dirt road that goes from 19E straight up to Moreland Gap Shelter, and it -is- named Moreland Gap Rd., but you can't just waltz thru there past the private property and FS gates. I hiked around there recently and found an old 70s model abandoned car on the side of the road, so maybe this fire road was unblocked back in '78. But what LW says sound right anyway, because you -can- drive to the old fire tower, which is now a cell tower (and if you look around, you'll find an old 2-seat privy ).

Again citing newspaper articles from the time of the attacks and trials, it was reported that some folks local to the road on which the perps parked their car were annoyed with the presence of a vehicle they didn't recognize (perhaps it having crossed or being parked on private land?) and they let the air out of all 4 tires. When the perps subsequently fled, they drove the vehicle on 4 flat tires for some distance. One perp was arrested the next morning and was charged, booked, and released on trespassing and related charges. Only later did the hikers emerge from the woods up towards Hampton, and with that, the Sheriff hied off to Buck Mountain and arrested the same fellow a second time, and started the manhunt for the others. The prosecutor who represented the Government at the criminal trials was one David Crockett, a direct descendent of Davey Crockett.

AO

mother goose
03-02-2013, 18:25
The shelter that is there now is not the same one where the killings took place, it was rebuilt in another area and the old one stood for a while then eventually wasngone, the same as the Thelma Marks shelter where two were killed in 1990 it was also torn down but a new one I think called Cove Mtn ( not positive ab out that name ) but it's located in the same spot.