PDA

View Full Version : Hole in tent

ChinMusic
01-13-2013, 19:45
OK, let's see how close someone can get to what really happened. Judy, you cannot answer.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/TentHole.jpg

Rasty
01-13-2013, 19:46
Dropped your smoke?

slow mind
01-13-2013, 19:53
Koala Bear attack? Hanging your food is usless they only eat one type of leaf.

HikerMom58
01-13-2013, 20:07
You were trying to hang ur bear bag when the rock, with the rope attached, went straight for the tent. Oooops!

Wise Old Owl
01-13-2013, 20:32
parked the tent next to a noob!

kolokolo
01-13-2013, 20:34
Slept with your food, and a racoon decided to pay a visit?

Lone Wolf
01-13-2013, 20:41
a rager poked thru

Old Hiker
01-13-2013, 21:28
Saw an M&M outside your tent and gnawed your way out before you could stop yourself?

kayak karl
01-13-2013, 21:34
you didn't leach your dog? ripped it with a hiking pole? shot a hole when gun went off? a homeless person tried to get it? a female friend tried to get out?

Another Kevin
01-13-2013, 22:06
A widowmaker came crashing out of a tree, missed you by inches, but ripped the corner of your tent. No... a vulture smelt your socks, was convinced there had to be carrion there, and pecked a hole in it. No... an army of blackflies learnt to cooperate, all heaved together, and opened up the corner to let themselves in to the tasty victim. Yeah, that's it. An army of blackflies.

Was it a good tent while it lasted?

ChinMusic
01-13-2013, 22:10
Great stuff guys. I'll give it about a day before...............the rest of the story.

Cookerhiker
01-13-2013, 22:19
I suspect a Burmese Python was involved.

ChinMusic
01-13-2013, 22:34
I suspect a Burmese Python was involved.

Thank God that wasn't it.

Rasty
01-13-2013, 22:52
A Tiger in Africa?

Lone Wolf
01-13-2013, 23:13
mornin' wood

Northern Lights
01-13-2013, 23:29
mornin' wood

LMAO, how you doing.

It looks singed so it has to do with heat. You fell asleep with your headlamp on and the heat softened the netting and then you were having a bad dream and hit the netting and ripped it. That's all I got.

Theosus
01-13-2013, 23:30
You were breaking firewood against a tree, and a piece broke loose, flew across the campsite and hit your tent.

(Actually happened to a friend of mine)

BirdBrain
01-13-2013, 23:54
Kicked hole in tent while trying to kill mouse that was trying to eat your last pop-tart.

Train Wreck
01-14-2013, 00:27
Too many baked beans for supper?

facelesscombatant
01-14-2013, 00:33
zipper jam?

snowblind
01-14-2013, 02:10
Porcupine smoking a cigarette at dawn broke in? You had cheese whiz in a can didn't you!?!

BTW, what kind of tent is that?

mrcoffeect
01-14-2013, 09:06
That looks like the work of a chupacabra. Or maybe an angry beaver. wait I got it. it's time for you to clip your toe nails

flemdawg1
01-14-2013, 09:33
Some noob asked about your tent, and made a comment on not trusting cuben (looks flimsy). You grab a sharp stick to poke at it and missed the cuben altogether, ripping the mesh door.

What'd I win?

Rasty
01-14-2013, 09:44
I'm leaning towards the comment about clipping your toenails!

TroutknuT
01-14-2013, 09:58
Hay that's my tent! Looks like Neo Air pad failed and sent a frozen sock out the bug netting.

Train Wreck
01-14-2013, 10:06
Gator bite!!!

Thirsty DPD
01-14-2013, 10:17
Either, thought the screen was unzipped; or toe of boot went through went you got a cramp.

Thirsty DPD
01-14-2013, 10:20
Chin Music, I should have known, misjudged your bow.

Studlintsean
01-14-2013, 16:09
Hot cooking pot packed away

ChinMusic
01-14-2013, 20:47
Last chance.

HikerMom58
01-14-2013, 20:48
Are there any correct guesses? Before you say ......

leaftye
01-14-2013, 21:05
You were trying to reenact a scene from Braveheart in your Lightheart tent.

HeartFire
01-14-2013, 21:21
I know what happened! I love all these answers. Are you going to show a picture of the repair?

ChinMusic
01-14-2013, 21:40
I know what happened! I love all these answers. Are you going to show a picture of the repair?

Thank you very much Judy for the repair. I hadn't planned on setting it up but I guess I could spread it out and get a pic.

ChinMusic
01-14-2013, 21:44
This is the winner for being the closest.

you didn't leach your dog?

I could see myself doing this.

You were breaking firewood against a tree, and a piece broke loose, flew across the campsite and hit your tent.

(Actually happened to a friend of mine)

Most inventive.

Hay that's my tent! Looks like Neo Air pad failed and sent a frozen sock out the bug netting.

ChinMusic
01-14-2013, 21:52
Actual event is not as good as most of the guesses.

I was backpacking in Arkansas in December. My buddy Randall and I were camped at a creek after a long first day. I have been joined in many of these backpacking trips by my dog Mugsy. After 9 years I know him well, or so I thought. After feeding him, first of course, he started to wander towards out tent (100 feet from the fire ring). I know this as a signal that he is done for the day. We have been through this countless times. I walked him to the tent, opened it up, tucked him in the sleeping bag, zipped up the tent, and headed back to the fire ring.

Maybe 15 minutes later we start to hear coyotes in the distance. Randall decides to call back to them. They sing back and forth for a few minutes and suddenly I see Mugsy, wagging his tail, next to me. I was, "I hope I forgot to zip up the tent"...........nope. The proud Mugsy had created a doggy door after not wanting to be alone with all those coyotes out there.

moytoy
01-14-2013, 21:56
LOL...there is a lesson there:)

HikerMom58
01-14-2013, 22:06
Ahhhh good one! :) You had some very good and funny responses... that was fun, CM!! I

TroutknuT
01-15-2013, 13:04
Every dog has his day... You can teach an old dog a new trick!

Train Wreck
01-15-2013, 14:48
Actual event is not as good as most of the guesses.

I was backpacking in Arkansas in December. My buddy Randall and I were camped at a creek after a long first day. I have been joined in many of these backpacking trips by my dog Mugsy. After 9 years I know him well, or so I thought. After feeding him, first of course, he started to wander towards out tent (100 feet from the fire ring). I know this as a signal that he is done for the day. We have been through this countless times. I walked him to the tent, opened it up, tucked him in the sleeping bag, zipped up the tent, and headed back to the fire ring.

Maybe 15 minutes later we start to hear coyotes in the distance. Randall decides to call back to them. They sing back and forth for a few minutes and suddenly I see Mugsy, wagging his tail, next to me. I was, "I hope I forgot to zip up the tent"...........nope. The proud Mugsy had created a doggy door after not wanting to be alone with all those coyotes out there.

Awwww! I hope he didn't get scolded!
Just takea red sharpie and letter "Emergency Exit" with an arrow next to the hole :)

Malto
01-15-2013, 14:56
You might be lucky...... My two Great Pyrenese, who have been bred to protect their flock or herd from Coyotes, would have left nothing of the tent to repair.

Lets see the repair.

ChinMusic
01-15-2013, 15:09
Awwww! I hope he didn't get scolded!

Oh I scolded him alright. I said, "RANDALL, what the hell are you doing scaring poor Mugsy with that coyote call?"

Just takea red sharpie and letter "Emergency Exit" with an arrow next to the hole :)

I have other ideas when folks see the repair on my thru this year. Something along the lines of "a bear and a right cross" is the working story..........

jeffmeh
01-15-2013, 15:59
Funny, one of my dogs is similar in that she clearly communicates to me when she wants to be done for the night. That said, I do make her acquiesce to my terms. She can relax, but we are done when I say we are done. I won't bring her into the tent until I am ready to accompany her.

ChinMusic
01-15-2013, 16:21
Funny, one of my dogs is similar in that she clearly communicates to me when she wants to be done for the night. That said, I do make her acquiesce to my terms. She can relax, but we are done when I say we are done. I won't bring her into the tent until I am ready to accompany her.

Obviously a good idea. In winter I often just leave the door unzipped and pulled back. Mugsy will usually just call it a day on his own. If he's muddy it will be on MY terms with the tent closed. On my recent December trip to Arkansas the weather was mild enough that I could still see spiders working the ground. I hate spiders so I zipped up the tent unless I was going in or out.

For a December trip we had no flying bug issues to the tear in the mesh wasn't a big deal. If this were mosquito season I would have prob used up all my duct tape.

On the second morning I got up first. It was cold and Mugsy was in no hurry to leave the tent. I went over to the fire ring, sat down and started breakfast. I then noticed Mugsy with his head popping out of the unzipped tent just looking at me. After a few minutes I called him. He just stood there, looking at me. What's the deal? I walked over to the tent to find Mugsy stuck in the "doggy door". Without the tension of the zipped door the hole was just acting like a trap. He was stuck.

I only laughed at him for a bit before freeing him.

This happened again the third day before he figured it out.

ChinMusic
01-15-2013, 22:12
Here is a pic of the repair. Thanks again Judy.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/ChinMusicIHSS/Backpacking/TentHole2.jpg