PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Made a PDF version of the new AWOL?

ParkRat09
01-13-2013, 23:41
I am planning on purchasing the new AWOL guide but I was hoping for a digital copy I could keep on my Kindle or iPhone 5. Has anyone made a PDF version?

Rain Man
01-13-2013, 23:51
Would that be a violation of David's copyrights? Maybe he grants buyers that right? I don't know.

Rain Man

moytoy
01-14-2013, 04:21
I'm with rain man, I would think the only legal way to get a pdf copy is from the author. Contact him at [email protected]

OzJacko
01-14-2013, 05:21
Agreed but rather than a flood of us writing to him, can anyone who has done it give a response on here if a PDF or Kindle version is able to be purchased.
I will be getting a paper copy but would like a Kindle backup. With two of us hiking together we intend to have a paper copy of both "recognised" premier guides and carry one each. Would like to have the Kindle version of the one I am not carrying a paper version of.

Chaco Taco
01-14-2013, 07:50
Why not just carry the book? Maybe he hasnt made the kindle version for a reason...:-? :D

VTATHiker
01-14-2013, 08:24
I talked to AWOL some this fall over the phone after my bounce box (and the other half of my guide) was lost in the mail. I bought a second copy from him and he had it sent ahead, but he offered to send me a PDF version (or parts of the version) to hold me over in the mean time. I'm sure it was because of my unusual circumstance that he offered the PDF. I turned it down because my phone is too dumb to read PDFs anyway. Conclusion - the PDFs exist, but rather than ask for them as a back up, keep his number and e-mail in your phone and if you do end up needing that backup, give him a call from the trail. He was really helpful - I'm sure he can help you then.

joshuasdad
01-14-2013, 13:31
You might want to put an ALDHA/ATC companion (pdf version) + an elevation profile (freely downloadable) on your smartphone as a backup.

Costs all of like 8 dollars, and a whole lot less effort. Plus you would be helping out a good organization.

ParkRat09
01-15-2013, 00:47
I'm with rain man, I would think the only legal way to get a pdf copy is from the author. Contact him at [email protected]

Emailed him thanks!

ParkRat09
01-15-2013, 00:48
You might want to put an ALDHA/ATC companion (pdf version) + an elevation profile (freely downloadable) on your smartphone as a backup.

Costs all of like 8 dollars, and a whole lot less effort. Plus you would be helping out a good organization.

That is my backup plan if there is no way to get an AWOL on PDF thanks

OzJacko
01-15-2013, 04:24

I am buying a paper ALDHA one, and a paper AWOL guide.
My son and I will carry one each but we are also carrying Kindles.
We are ALDHA members and will each have the ALDHA one on Kindle as well.
Just wanted to know if it was possible to get a PDF of AWOL's as well.
Reason for carrying both types is the electronic one will be complete but will probably break the paper ones up into several parts and only carry one or two parts at a time.
I'll contact AWOL direct - just thought it might be polite to not have dozens of people all emailing him at once.

Sly
01-15-2013, 05:20
I am buying a paper ALDHA one, and a paper AWOL guide.
My son and I will carry one each but we are also carrying Kindles.
We are ALDHA members and will each have the ALDHA one on Kindle as well.

I'll put you on the list to receive the 2013 Companion in PDF when it becomes available.

Awol2003
01-15-2013, 10:26
The book wasn't designed to be viewed on a small screen, so some things (town maps in particular) require panning & zooming. I don't know of anyone that's used PDF for anything other than a backup. You can take pages covering 1/4 of the trail at a time and the weight would be about 3oz. I don't intend to dictate how the book is used; just sharing some things to consider.

I'm working on a process for downloading a PDF, and on a Kindle version. The book PDF is too large to email. Please let me know if you've used a download manager for PDFs. I'd like to pick one that people find user-friendly.

The Kindle version (no promises on when) will be better sized for small screens, will have search capability, and can be used on other devices (like phones) with the Kindle App.

Rasty
01-15-2013, 13:14
The book wasn't designed to be viewed on a small screen, so some things (town maps in particular) require panning & zooming. I don't know of anyone that's used PDF for anything other than a backup. You can take pages covering 1/4 of the trail at a time and the weight would be about 3oz. I don't intend to dictate how the book is used; just sharing some things to consider.

I'm working on a process for downloading a PDF, and on a Kindle version. The book PDF is too large to email. Please let me know if you've used a download manager for PDFs. I'd like to pick one that people find user-friendly.

The Kindle version (no promises on when) will be better sized for small screens, will have search capability, and can be used on other devices (like phones) with the Kindle App.

Large PDF's can be downloaded through a secure link to a website.

ParkRat09
01-16-2013, 23:16
I'll put you on the list to receive the 2013 Companion in PDF when it becomes available.

When will the new one be coming out? Before March I hope?

StylinLP38
01-17-2013, 13:12

Hey AWOL. Great book BTW. Im at the part where you are at the re-supply store in Vermont thinking about replacing your trail shoes that fixed your feet. The last part before I fell asleep last night was you saying those shoes has alot of setimental value. Then I dozed off dreaming about getting lost in the deep forests of Vermont lol.
Why couldn't you just supply a Kindle / iTunes version? When im on Amazon to order a book, like yours, usually there is a Kindle version to choose from. BTW, lately, with the new smaller lighter tablets like the iPad Mini, there is more people like me taking them with us hiking. Very very capable device. My iPad Mini has a 7.9" screen, fast, responsive, clear, light, thin, amazing wifi and 4G internet. I would like to purchase your guide on it to take with. Ive already begun to purchase reading books like the Emmy award winning AWOL book! Next will be that Odella book. I think it would be nice to be able to read a book on the trail for 15 to 30min in the tent before passing out.

Awol2003
01-22-2013, 16:21
A PDF download (nobo & sobo) is now on-line: http://www.shop.theatguide.com/Books_c3.htm If you are buying just the PDF, it is $7.95. The PDF is 50% off if you order a book at the same time, but be sure to enter the coupon code “BookAndPDF”. If you’ve already ordered a 2013 hardcopy and want the PDF, please contact me so you can get the same discount. I am planning a Kindle version but that will require significant format changes (it won’t be soon).

Camel2012
01-22-2013, 16:31
That is great! Will make a lot of people happy.

dukakis
01-22-2013, 16:53
I just purchased the PDF version on my iPad. Opened it with iBooks and it looks great. It's going to be a great asset to have on the trail. Thanks AWOL!

ChinMusic
01-22-2013, 21:33
I got the pdf version as well. I have scanned the pages for section hikes in the past. Scanning the whole book would have been a chore.

Thanks AWOL

Zippy Morocco
01-22-2013, 22:25
Pdf version looks great on the Kindle paperwhite and Galaxy nexus Kindle app. Thank you AWOL

ParkRat09
01-22-2013, 23:00
A PDF download (nobo & sobo) is now on-line: http://www.shop.theatguide.com/Books_c3.htm If you are buying just the PDF, it is $7.95. The PDF is 50% off if you order a book at the same time, but be sure to enter the coupon code “BookAndPDF”. If you’ve already ordered a 2013 hardcopy and want the PDF, please contact me so you can get the same discount. I am planning a Kindle version but that will require significant format changes (it won’t be soon).

Thanks so much! So excited!

joshuasdad
01-22-2013, 23:02
Ordered it, but unfortunately selected eCheck payment option...have to wait 3-5
days to clear...bummer...