PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with ATKO Start Time

starbright
01-14-2013, 00:59
I've been planning to attend the ATKO March 8th thru the 10th.

Then start the following Monday.

But every time someone seems to suggest a start time it is the first part of April.

I thought the ATKO is when most people start.

I would like to know if everybody just go's to the ATKO and then comes back later to start their hike or if most Thru Hikers just skip it and start later.

I need to know before I purchase tickets to get there. Please Help with the best start time for Thru-Hike.

moldy
01-14-2013, 16:23
ATKO is a conference type event at the foot of the approach trail every year in mid March. They have a weekend of seminars and draw some equipment sellers etc. If you are a thru-hiker starting in mid March then the answer is yes that is what many will do, attend some of the seminars then start hiking. This ATKO event will attract locals and thru's who are starting the trail right then. I would not drive there from Arkansas for this event unless I were starting my hike. I also would not alter my start date by very much just to go to this thing.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2013, 16:30
I've been planning to attend the ATKO March 8th thru the 10th.

Then start the following Monday.

But every time someone seems to suggest a start time it is the first part of April.

I thought the ATKO is when most people start.

I would like to know if everybody just go's to the ATKO and then comes back later to start their hike or if most Thru Hikers just skip it and start later.

I need to know before I purchase tickets to get there. Please Help with the best start time for Thru-Hike.

if i were to do it again i'd wait til around the 10th of april