PDA

View Full Version : Cold chocolate drink recipe

TrishaU
01-14-2013, 06:29
Does anyone have a favorite cold chocolate drink recipe? How about something that can be mixed up at home and just add water. What I see on the web tends to be "and then add ice cream..." which of course is not going to happen, or is a hot cocoa recipe.

bfayer
01-14-2013, 06:42
Nido powdered milk (whole milk with all the fat) mixed with nestles quick, individual serving packaged in with my food saver. This works for any recipe that needs milk.

The Nido is not available everywhere, but you can usually find it at Walmart in the Hispanic food section.

http://www.nestlenido.com/Public/Default.aspx

It helps if you have a container you can shake to mix. Which also works great for instant chocolate pudding by the way.

Hikes in Rain
01-14-2013, 09:32
Haven't tried it yet, but one of my old woodcraft books recommends adding s short length of thin chain to the shake bottle to aid mixing. Seems like it should work well, but I'm not sure ultra-light was on the author's mind!

SOBO_Pace
01-14-2013, 10:12
My breakfast every morning for my thru was: 2x carnation instant breakfast, 2x hot coco, and a few instant coffees in a 32 oz bottle shaken up. It us really good and has a good amount of calories in it plus all you vitamins. Some folks I showed it to would also add their instant grits or oat meal.

SOBO_Pace
01-14-2013, 10:13
I used protein powders when available too

bfayer
01-14-2013, 10:26
My breakfast every morning for my thru was: 2x carnation instant breakfast, 2x hot coco, and a few instant coffees in a 32 oz bottle shaken up. It us really good and has a good amount of calories in it plus all you vitamins. Some folks I showed it to would also add their instant grits or oat meal.

We use the carnation instant breakfast also with the Nido. We buy the instant breakfast in a bulk can and pre package with the Nido. Works the same as the individual packages, but less trash. Snack size zips locks work well if you don't have a food saver.

For a shaker a ziploc twist n loc works great and weighs very little.

I love this thread, I am a certified chocoholic :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

SOBO_Pace
01-14-2013, 10:53
It was kind of hard to find the nido on the trail and to many powders add up in weight really fast. It was nice cutting about 1/4 lb every morning for breakfast.:D

bfayer
01-14-2013, 11:12
It was kind of hard to find the nido on the trail and to many powders add up in weight really fast. It was nice cutting about 1/4 lb every morning for breakfast.:D

I'm a weekend section hiker so not so much of a problem for me. If I was thru hiker the hot coco and Instant breakfast would work well. Most of the hot coco is powdered milk anyway.

Most thru hikers I have talked with don't talk trail cooking, they talk trail eating :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Hosaphone
01-14-2013, 20:09

I used protein powders when available too

I was going to mention the same thing. I'm a huge fan of the carnation breakfasts. Tasty, almost like a multivitamin, and 100 calories/ounce to boot.

Works great as a breakfast thing because you can just drink it while on the go. Gets you up and out much faster.

I like the idea of mixing in protein powder but that would work best at night. I suppose I could get on board with 2 chocolate drinks per day :p

TrishaU
01-18-2013, 05:14
Thanks, folks!

Isa Rosli
01-20-2013, 10:54
Does anyone have a favorite cold chocolate drink recipe? How about something that can be mixed up at home and just add water. What I see on the web tends to be "and then add ice cream..." which of course is not going to happen, or is a hot cocoa recipe.

Please try Adam chocolate drink made in Malaysia visit http://www.mrchocolaterecipedrinks.com.my or http://www. Facebook.com/AdamChocolatrDrink

Deacon
01-20-2013, 15:18
Also consider Ovaltine. It's sold in chocolate malt flavor, and is much better nutritionally than regular chocolate mixes.