PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate homemade trail bars. This simply cannot be beaten, and is super healthy!

d3v
01-14-2013, 09:16
This recipe is extremely flexible and anything can be added or even subtracted, just as long as the end consistency is a thick paste.

85% dark chocolate
coconut oil, raw, extra virgin
peanut butter
cashew butter
honey, raw
blackstrap mollases, unsulphered
almonds, ground
coconut flakes, dried
sesame seeds
pumpkin seeds
chia seeds

1. Gently melt the dark chocolate, coconut oil, honey , blackstrap mollases, peanut & cashew butter together in a heavy steel pan, at a very low flame. Never allow the temperature to go beyond warm. Stir regularly.
2. While all those wet ingredients are melting together, toast the sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds together over a cast iron griddle just until they are beginning to change colour, but before they begin to smoke; this will give them a much more flavourful flavour!
3. Once the above has been accomplished simply combine everything together. The consistency should be a thick paste and once dry will be slightly harder however not hard enough to withstand a hiking trip inside a rucksack, so my recommended method of packaging is to spoon portions in to zip lock bags and then eaten simply by squeezing the contents out the bag straight into the mouth, much like the sachets of flavoured glucose gels cyclists use to keep them going on hard races.

The end product is a outrageously delicious treat that is about as calorie dense for it's given weight as you can possibly achieve! Not only that but it is completely free of dairy and grains, and processed sugar, and absolutely full of minerals, vitamins and healthy fats.

d3v
01-14-2013, 09:20
Why isn't there any edit button on this forum?

The calorie content is approximately 500kcal per 100g of mixture.

HikerMom58
01-14-2013, 09:43
Why isn't there any edit button on this forum?

The calorie content is approximately 500kcal per 100g of mixture.

Awesome sounding receipe d3v... thanks for sharing it with us...

The edit button? Become a donating member for as little as 10 bucks and make that edit button ur own... I'm lovin it! :)

Uneasy
01-21-2013, 08:15
Can you give us the suggested amounts for each ingredient? A cup of this, a tablespoon of that.....

QiWiz
01-22-2013, 12:24
This recipe is extremely flexible and anything can be added or even subtracted, just as long as the end consistency is a thick paste.

85% dark chocolate
coconut oil, raw, extra virgin
peanut butter
cashew butter
honey, raw
blackstrap mollases, unsulphered
almonds, ground
coconut flakes, dried
sesame seeds
pumpkin seeds
chia seeds

1. Gently melt the dark chocolate, coconut oil, honey , blackstrap mollases, peanut & cashew butter together in a heavy steel pan, at a very low flame. Never allow the temperature to go beyond warm. Stir regularly.
2. While all those wet ingredients are melting together, toast the sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds together over a cast iron griddle just until they are beginning to change colour, but before they begin to smoke; this will give them a much more flavourful flavour!
3. Once the above has been accomplished simply combine everything together. The consistency should be a thick paste and once dry will be slightly harder however not hard enough to withstand a hiking trip inside a rucksack, so my recommended method of packaging is to spoon portions in to zip lock bags and then eaten simply by squeezing the contents out the bag straight into the mouth, much like the sachets of flavoured glucose gels cyclists use to keep them going on hard races.

The end product is a outrageously delicious treat that is about as calorie dense for it's given weight as you can possibly achieve! Not only that but it is completely free of dairy and grains, and processed sugar, and absolutely full of minerals, vitamins and healthy fats.

I'll have to try this. I'm tempted to add rolled oats to make it a bit more solid and bar-like.

Danl
01-22-2013, 16:35
Amounts would be nice. I am going to mix all this up and put it back in a peanut butter jar. Spoonful at a time

The Old Boot
01-22-2013, 19:51
Does anyone have the 'formula' for substituting cocoa et al for '85% dark chocolate'- I have the recipes for other chocolate forms but not this one.

WILLIAM HAYES
01-23-2013, 17:59
you may want to try "Kind" Bars they have a variety and are all gluten free

JAK
01-23-2013, 22:23
Great stuff. Thanks.

Hot Flash
02-12-2013, 14:58
you may want to try "Kind" Bars they have a variety and are all gluten free

There's no reason to avoid gluten unless you have celiac disease or something.