PDA

View Full Version : 2013 NOBO Thru Hike Gear List Critique and Recomendations please

bowlingl
01-14-2013, 10:28
Here is a link to my gear list for my AT thru hike. I am heading northbound sometime in the first week of April.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=9984

A few things I am still unsure about that I would love some insight on are:

Most importantly I need to decide on a pack to use.

My shelter will definitely get the job done but I am considering some tarptent type of options.

Replacing the Marmot Essence and Arcteryx rain pants for frogg toggs dri ducks?

Go with an alcohol stove instead of my snowpeak canister stove?

Thinking about one more light layer to be worn while hiking when it is still a little colder. Either the Patagonia hooded Cap 4 or the Houdini wind jacket?

Lastly, still trying to decide on which guidebook to get.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Any tried and true lightweight digital cameras?

Slo-go'en
01-14-2013, 11:49
Most people have too much clothes, you don't have enough.

Add 2) T shirts (synthetic, wicking) and 1) long sleeve (nylon) shirt.

Does the nano puff have sleeves or is it a vest? If it's a vest, I'd have a warm shirt too.

You'll want a pair of gloves too.

Don't see many umbrellas on the AT. Not enough clearance for them in many places. It will keep snagging on tree branches. A baseball type cap is more practical. Something with a bill to keep water out of your eyes.

You already have a rain jacket, no need for another jacket. Most people ditch the rain pants pretty quickly. frogg toggs seem to be a bit bulky to me.

Toss up between alcohol and canister stove. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Canister is quick and easy but bulky and heavyish, alcohol is more compact and lighter on average (depends on how much fuel you carry, which is a variable load). If you go alcohol, consider a Caldora cone set up.

AWOL guide book - only way to go.

The lightest digital camara I've found are the cheap, no frills type typically marketed to kids and run on AA batteries. Use a couple of lithium batteries and it weighs next to nothing. Picture quality isn't great, but okay. A decent shirt pocket sized camara isn't all that much heavier and worth it for the better picture quality and shooting options they usually give you.

A 7x9 tarp is a little small to be really effective in serious, wind blown rain like during a thunder storm. You'll have to pitch it really low to the ground and then not have enough height to sit up under it. 10x10 is the smallest I would go. Or get a tent. At 23 oz, your already at the weight of a decent solo tent, of which there are a number of choices.

flemdawg1
01-14-2013, 18:39
Here is a link to my gear list for my AT thru hike. I am heading northbound sometime in the first week of April.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=9984

I'd add 1 more set of long johns for extra cold weather.

A few things I am still unsure about that I would love some insight on are:

Most importantly I need to decide on a pack to use. ULA Circuit or MLD Exodous

My shelter will definitely get the job done but I am considering some tarptent type of options. Have you actually used a tarp before?

Replacing the Marmot Essence and Arcteryx rain pants for frogg toggs dri ducks?

Go with an alcohol stove instead of my snowpeak canister stove? I've used both, prefer canister (Jetboil Ti Sol is mine) for ease of use (no flimsy parts, spilling, measuring, runaway flames).

Thinking about one more light layer to be worn while hiking when it is still a little colder. Either the Patagonia hooded Cap 4 or the Houdini wind jacket?

Lastly, still trying to decide on which guidebook to get.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Any tried and true lightweight digital cameras?

I generally use my cell phone camera, zero extra weight since I'm carrying it anyway.

bowlingl
01-15-2013, 12:30
Thanks for the replies guys. I had actually planned on taking one more short sleeve shirt, but I forgot to add it to my list. The Nano Puff has long sleeves so I with with the combination of my other layers will keep me warm enough until I get to my sleeping bag.

As for shelter, I have used this combination quite a few times on shorter trips but will get something new if I have the money.

I dont own a cell phone or I would definitely use it as a camera.

Sounds like a toss up between canister and alcohol stoves.

Spark2Fire
01-15-2013, 13:04
I am just as excited as you! I depart to thru-hike on a Flip-Flop schedule. I am starting in Damascus after the Trail Days Festival.
I am carrying an alcohol stove by Evernew also burns tablets and wood if needed. So I never am without a working stove.
I tried the Dry-Ducks/Frog Toggs... They were bulky and both versions were ripped in a week of trail stresses. I replaced them with water proof/wind pants bu REI which I found also added insulation when I got very cold in a wind storm back in Dec. Paired excellent with my poncho. And she is right about gloves... Even $5 Walmart pair is valuable!

Also... This is just advice based on experience! Do what works for you!

Carl Calson
01-21-2013, 21:33
catfood can stove!

ParkRat09
01-22-2013, 01:14
Few things I see...

1- I think a bivvy for that period of time would be miserable. I think something with more room is def better. I'm going with a tent from Six Moon Designs that weighs just 23oz.

2- ditch the umbrella. I can guarantee you that you will be sending that away as soon as you get on the trail so just don't bring it

3- Do you need the foam pad AND a sleeping pad?

4- As far as packs go, I really like my ULA. 50+ litres for 2 pounds!

5- Is the Icebreaker l/s shirt for hiking or sleeping?

6- Not sure if the Nano-puff will be warm enough for the first part of the trip. They're great jackets and I sell a ton of them at my shop but they're not super duper warm like the Down Sweater from PG

7- Everyone tells me to ditch my rain pants but I think I'm bringing mine too

ParkRat09
01-22-2013, 01:18
Just curious but do you work at a gear shop or something lol? You got some really good stuff listed here that I don't see ppl mention very often (just curious bc I work at one). Oh and btw PG cap 4 is the BOMB! I got mine last year from a 2013 Patagonia sample sale and I can't say enough about it!

dmax
01-22-2013, 01:32
Take the umbrella. You won't regret it.

turtle fast
01-22-2013, 03:31
If you find on the trail that the umbrella isn't for you...just pretend that you are Mary Poppins and sing a few musical numbers with it. Then mail home.

bowlingl
01-30-2013, 11:26
Thanks for the replies guys. I dont actually work at a gear store but I have worked and been in the outdoors for a few years now.