PDA

View Full Version : Tall people's clothes?

Feral Bill
01-14-2013, 17:10
In a recent thread, I was taken to task for saying LL Bean is the only source for a wide range of outdoor clothes in tall sizes. Upon asking who else has them, no reply. So, is their another source with a full range of tall clothing?

REI has a very limited selection.

bigcranky
01-14-2013, 17:44
Depends on how tall, I suppose. I wear a 44-L sportcoat, perfect off the rack. Most Patagonia tops fit me pretty well in the body and sleeves, same with some TNF stuff (not all.) Eddie Bauer makes tall sizes of their technical gear, though it's often available only on their web site. For basic outdoor clothing, Cabelas had tall sizes the last time I looked. Even my Montbell stuff is basically long enough, even though their sizes tend to run small.

I do wish other manufacturers would get with the program. I'd happily pay $5 or 10 more for something that had long enough sleeves, and I've said this many times to the owner of my local outfitter. I have several items which are great, except the sleeves stop somewhere mid-forearm (I'm looking at you, Ibex!)

atmilkman
01-14-2013, 17:50
Cabela's has a pretty fair selection of tall sizes. I just picked up a Polartech jacket in size 2XL Tall just before Christmas at a pretty good price.

atmilkman
01-14-2013, 17:53
Depends on how tall, I suppose. I wear a 44-L sportcoat, perfect off the rack. Most Patagonia tops fit me pretty well in the body and sleeves, same with some TNF stuff (not all.) Eddie Bauer makes tall sizes of their technical gear, though it's often available only on their web site. For basic outdoor clothing, Cabelas had tall sizes the last time I looked. Even my Montbell stuff is basically long enough, even though their sizes tend to run small.

I do wish other manufacturers would get with the program. I'd happily pay $5 or 10 more for something that had long enough sleeves, and I've said this many times to the owner of my local outfitter. I have several items which are great, except the sleeves stop somewhere mid-forearm (I'm looking at you, Ibex!)
Sleeves are what I'm looking for too. I have some nice stuff that has been given to me in 2XL but I hate it when I can't raise my arm up with it going halfway up my forearm.

Feral Bill
01-15-2013, 00:19
I do have a nice wool shirt/jacket from Cabela's. It is a bit of an overwhelming place to shop, though.

Alligator
01-15-2013, 08:39
Campmor has a Men's Tall category, about a page of items.

Alligator
01-15-2013, 08:41
Sierra Trading Post has a special sizes check box for Big and/or Tall. Some of that is probably regular wear.

fins1838
01-15-2013, 08:51
Its always amazed me as to why companies make such a small amount of items for taller people. Whenever I see end of year sales, whether it be on-line or in stores, they always have large quantities of smaller items left over. (ex. 36/32 pants & small & med shirts). Its rare to find 36/34 or even 36/36 pants or XLG tops. Why not make what sells the most? Some jean manufacturers dont even make longer inseam pants. 32 inch is the longest they make. Just a thought.

atmilkman
01-15-2013, 09:37
32in. inseam - "high waters".

Robin2013AT
01-15-2013, 13:33
Women's tall really don't exist in outdoor gear. LL Bean goes tall only for larger sizes (thin tall and lean here). I would gladly pay a bit more for a bit more. Look for my skinny ankles showing on the AT in March.

maybe clem
01-15-2013, 21:27
Try JC Penney.