PDA

View Full Version : Missing person sought

Sir-Packs-Alot
01-14-2013, 20:11

Aspiring Appalachian Trail Northbound Thru-Hiker David Quinones is currently being sought as a "missing person" by the Brevard County, Florida Sheriffs Office. David was last known to be at the Gainesville, Georgia bus station early in the afternoon of Jan 5, 2012. Anyone with information to this case please contact Agent Jeremy Pill at 321-544-9890 or the appropriate local authorities. The A.T. is a tight knit community - please get the word out.

rickb
01-14-2013, 20:45
So the police are looking for an adult who was last seen at a bus stop in a neighboring state?

Did the police distribute/issue a statement requesting assistance from the public to help find him?

Can you please post that?

Sir-Packs-Alot
01-14-2013, 21:00
The individual above was last known to be at the Gainseville, GA bus station headed to the "Hiker Hostel" in Dahlonega, GA - a neighboring state to Florida (his home state) - but that is where the missing person report has been filed. On Jan 5th and going to start a thru-hike right after. He never got to Hiker Hostel. The sheriff in Florida does not know anything about the trail except that we are a "tight knit community". He has not been heard from or seen on trail for 9 days. They are hoping that if we get the word out that they might figure it out - nobody on trail seems to know. Not a lot to post - but I promised them I would try. Thanks.

HikerMom58
01-14-2013, 21:04
The individual above was last known to be at the Gainseville, GA bus station headed to the "Hiker Hostel" in Dahlonega, GA on Jan 5th and going to start a thru-hike right after. He never got to Hiker Hostel. The sheriff in Florida does not know anything about the trail except that we are a "tight knit community". They are hoping that if we get the word out that they might figure it out - nobody on trail seems to know. Not a lot to post - but I promised them I would try. Thanks.

Good to know... the hiking community is putting it out on Facebook as well. THank you for spreading the word.

Lone Wolf
01-14-2013, 21:10
maybe he doesn't want to found

rickb
01-14-2013, 21:33
So nothing from the police to foward?

Papa D
01-14-2013, 21:48
I did a google search and couldn't find anything? You got a report of some sort to forward? What is your interest in this? FWIW, I know you are legit - just wondering what the connection is?

Malto
01-14-2013, 22:41
How is he missing? The rest of the story???

BigHodag
01-14-2013, 22:46
TrailJournal with larger photo:

http://www.trailjournals.com/location.cfm?trailname=13554

generoll
01-15-2013, 09:57
kinda sounds like he changed his mind. who saw him in Gainesville?

Drybones
01-15-2013, 10:54
There were two hikers missing back last March/April, saw photo posters along the trail, anyone know if they were ever found?

HikerMom58
01-15-2013, 12:11
Did you guys notice the the typo?
David was last known to be at the Gainesville, Georgia bus station early in the afternoon of Jan 5, 2012. 2012? My FB friend pointed it out to me on my wall.

kayak karl
01-15-2013, 12:18
is the OP looking for him or is there a link to the missing person report??

max patch
01-15-2013, 12:20
The OP is just a hiker based here in GA.

Sly
01-15-2013, 13:47
I thought I read where the hiker missed his shuttle In Gainesville. If so, who was the last to see him?

max patch
01-15-2013, 14:15
35 year old man has every right to disappear if he wants to.

I'm sure everyone remembers when Gov Stanford went "hiking on the AT" when he was really in Argentina with his GF.

And last year we had the married man who was supposedly hiking on the AT and the all points bulletin was issued when he hadn't been heard from. He was shacked up with his GF near Gainesville when they found him. Ran out the back door when he was discovered.

But then we have the sad case of Meredith.

I suspect this guy is hiking -he hiked last year and cut his hike short - and just hasn't contacted anyone. But who knows?

The only thing thats certain is that some people are going to bitch about the police not doing enough. And some are going to bitch that police are doing too much. Tough position for them to be in.

max patch
01-15-2013, 14:15

I'm sure everyone remembers when Gov Stanford went "hiking on the AT" when he was really in Argentina with his GF.

And last year we had the married man who was supposedly hiking on the AT and the all points bulletin was issued when he hadn't been heard from. He was shacked up with his GF near Gainesville when they found him. Ran out the back door when he was discovered.

But then we have the sad case of Meredith.

I suspect this guy is hiking -he hiked last year and cut his hike short - and just hasn't contacted anyone. But who knows?

The only thing thats certain is that some people are going to bitch about the police not doing enough. And some are going to bitch that police are doing too much. Tough position for them to be in.

Sly
01-15-2013, 14:35

I suppose you're right and anyone over the age of 18 can run off and not answer to anyone if they please.

BigHodag
01-15-2013, 15:32
Don't know about the Jan 5, 2012 date, if its a typo or not; however, on Zach Davis' Appalachian Trials blog, our mystery man commented last month around Dec 20th that a baby was stillborn in Nov ("one month before") and that was why he was hiking the AT.

"To clear my head due to the recent loss of my son who passed away a month ago during the birthing process. (stillborn) I’m walking not only for my son but also to search for my soul and to think about my life so far."

http://blog.appalachiantrials.com/tag/appalachian-trail-blog-2013/

He also changed his trail name to HULKSMASH.

Bear168
01-16-2013, 02:40
Yes a 35 year old man has every right to disappear if he wants to. But not knowing all the details and it sounds like someone is at home worried him. Lets hope he just needed time to hike his hike and clear his head.

http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/person/viewMissingPerson-117890736.ahttps://fbexternal-a.akamaihd.net/safe_image.php?d=AQBhcD3kGurbQoDr&w=90&h=90&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpas.fdle.state.fl.us%2Fpas%2Fpers on%2F..%2Fimages%2FSendATip.gif (http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/person/viewMissingPerson-117890736.a)Missing Person Details (http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/person/viewMissingPerson-117890736.a)
pas.fdle.state.fl.usFlorida Department of Law Enforcement Public Access System.

BigHodag
01-18-2013, 18:36
While following up on our missing hiker via Google, I discovered he has a Google+ page and has two years of U.S. Army experience. Hopefully this means he is somewhat competent in the woods.

Interestingly, he used his veteran benefits for culinary school, so should he be found along the trail, one might find some tasty vittles also.

https://plus.google.com/109211196121446928954/about

Papa D
01-18-2013, 19:12
just so you know, the OP is legit - class of '03

Del Q
01-18-2013, 19:46
From an SAR perspective we want "closure" on every missing person

TOW
01-18-2013, 21:02
Well lets keep our eyes peeled then....

mtnkngxt
01-19-2013, 09:32
Hope they find the guy, but Traumatic things like losing a child sometimes lead people to made bad decisions, whether it is disappearing or more permanent solutions to their feelings.

generoll
01-20-2013, 20:03
the link points to a single man, never married, no kids.

BigHodag
01-21-2013, 21:58
the link points to a single man, never married, no kids.

Yes, David's Google+ profile (Jan 2012) says single and no kids; however, his more recent blog comment (Dec 2012) says his son died.

Anyone know if David aka HULKSMASH has surfaced?

Northern Lights
01-22-2013, 01:26
Yes, David's Google+ profile (Jan 2012) says single and no kids; however, his more recent blog comment (Dec 2012) says his son died.

Anyone know if David aka HULKSMASH has surfaced?

Yes he surfaced, he's in a hospital in Ga. No other details have been provided.

BigHodag
01-22-2013, 21:21
Glad he's been located and is alive. Hope he recovers from whatever has him in a hospital. I'll post an update on @Section_hiking.

I've got past SAR experience and really appreciate having closure on this event. Thanks for the update Northern Lights.

Sir-Packs-Alot
02-13-2013, 11:46
update: End of story and thread - all is well