PDA

View Full Version : Following snow covered trail?

BryceandFozzie
01-14-2013, 20:12
I'm planning a 5 day hike through SNP for the beginning of March. Was curious how easy is it to navigate the trails if they are snow covered. I'm super new to backpacking btw. Thanks for any help!

johnnybgood
01-14-2013, 20:33
Depending on the depth of snow we're talking about here. Are we talking about using snowshoes or just traction devices such as microspikes,Yaktracs ?
The AT through SNP is more flat and therefore easy to navigate if the snow isn't drifting in several feet of snow.

The blueblaze trails will require more work simply because those trails will be more narrow than the AT in Shenandoah.

Bottom line is that you can navigate the AT really well if you have the necessary devices whether it be traction or snowshoes.

BryceandFozzie
01-14-2013, 20:43
Thanks for the response. Sorry if I wasn't clear, although now I guess I should look into some form of traction. I'm really curious how you would follow the trail if its covered in snow, assuming there aren't any footprints? How do you know where the trail is? This probably shows how new I am to this lol.

Marta
01-14-2013, 20:44
Following a snow-covered trail usually isn't too terribly hard. There are often footprints there. Sometimes there is a depression or other visible evidence. You can probably see white blazes and signs to help you out.

In really confusing situations one thing you can look for is the cut end of trees, where blowdowns have been cleared off the trail.

If you are not experienced in following trails in the good weather, it might be harder for you to find them in bad weather. For safety's sake make sure you have a map and compass--and know how to use them. Study the area ahead of time so you are familiar with bailout options if things don't go well. Plan a conservative trip--snow can really slow you down. Make sure you leave your travel plan and return time with someone trustworthy.

BryceandFozzie
01-14-2013, 20:48
Thanks! I don't suppose anyone would know the likelihood of there being snow on the SNP in march? Or maybe a suggestion on when to hike this area. I really appreciate all the help!

Slo-go'en
01-14-2013, 20:48
I doubt it will be much of a problem in the SNP. The trails there are pretty wide and obvious to follow. Plus there is pleanty of traffic to keep the snow packed down. The only problem might be if you get a foot of wet snow while your out there, then just walking through it will be difficult. Keep an eye on the forcast and don't go if there is trouble coming.

BrianLe
01-14-2013, 20:53
Ditto Slo-go'en, I don't recall navigation issues in SNP as there were generally some sort of footprints to follow. A fresh fall of snow can add some spice, but the trail corridor itself is usually pretty clear on the AT. Though here is one place where some backpacking experience might help --- just having a better "nose" for the trail. Sometimes in fresh snow the white color of white blazes is unfortunate as you're not always sure if it's a blaze or just a bit of impacted snow on the side of a tree.

But still, it's easier following snow covered trails on the AT than on most trails I think.

johnnybgood
01-14-2013, 20:58
The great thing about Shenandoah for beginner hikers is how many times the trail crosses the Skyline Drive. Being a linear park, the AT will never wander too far from the road .
Before you head down the trail make sure to pick up a detailed map of the section you plan on hiking in Shenandoah.

BryceandFozzie
01-14-2013, 21:09
Thanks everybody for the help!

Bati
01-14-2013, 21:30
Following a snow-covered trail usually isn't too terribly hard. There are often footprints there. Sometimes there is a depression or other visible evidence. You can probably see white blazes and signs to help you out.

In really confusing situations one thing you can look for is the cut end of trees, where blowdowns have been cleared off the trail.

If you are not experienced in following trails in the good weather, it might be harder for you to find them in bad weather. For safety's sake make sure you have a map and compass--and know how to use them. Study the area ahead of time so you are familiar with bailout options if things don't go well. Plan a conservative trip--snow can really slow you down. Make sure you leave your travel plan and return time with someone trustworthy.

Excellent advice!
Other hints as to where the trail is in heavily-traveled areas are that the snow will be a few inches deeper on the trail, as the trail is often sunken below the level of the land. When following footprints in the park, keep checking to make sure the previous hiker took the same trail you want to take. In SNP, always keep in mind/notice on the map which direction Skyline drive is, just in case of emergency, and you should be fine. Just follow along on your topo map, and if you do need to bail, you can generally hike straight up or down a mountain and make it to the road without getting lost. From the road, if it's not it's an actual emergency, rather just the prevention of one, be prepared to do extra miles to get back to the car. My advise is to know how to use the map and compass; if you think you can rely solely on a GPS, you might learn the hard way about the effect of cold weather on batteries.

If you see much snow, you'll be really angry at whoever thought to blaze the AT in white, but you'll have to admit that it is very well blazed in the South. In addition, most of the creeks have bridges where needed, but if you go after a bad storm, be prepared in case a bridge has been washed out.

mountain squid
01-14-2013, 21:33
I'm really curious how you would follow the trail if its covered in snow, assuming there aren't any footprints? How do you know where the trail is?You don't know where the trail is, if you cannot see the footpath. If there is alot of snow it might also cover the blazes on the trees, making route navigation pretty much impossible. If you do follow someone else's footprints, how do you know they are following the AT? You might end up just as lost as the individual who made the footprints in the first place.

Definitely have a map and compass, as has already been suggested by Marta and johnnybgood. Your trek through SNP might not simply be a 'walk in the park' (pun intended). Do not underestimate the possibility of getting disoriented and evenly possibly lost and having to spend some miserable nights in the snow.

(Yes, I'm assuming the worst (and it probably wont be that bad) while everyone else appears to be painting a rosier picture. Bottom line - Be Prepared.)

See you on the trail,
mt squid

some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)

maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)
how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Papa D
01-14-2013, 21:37
Heck - I just hiked about 40 miles north of the park and temps were in the 60s in January! Really wigged me out. But, assuming we get closer to something resembling "normal" there could be snow in the Park in March - - last time I hiked the park in the snow, I followed a combination of old tracks covered in light snow and blazes. The trail is really pretty obvious in the smokies so I doubt you'll have a problem. On snowy trails, I do suggest Yak-Trax for your shoes. Enjoy!

Blissful
01-14-2013, 22:08
If there has been snow on the trail, be sure to have some kind of traction device. Snows in SNP can melt and refreeze, causing icing conditions. The trail is easy to follow and many hike it, esp using it in various circuit hikes. That said, one should also be prepared with maps.

Biggie Master
01-15-2013, 00:09
Take your time and pay close attention. Sometimes it's not too difficult, sometimes it is very difficult. I hiked thru this a couple years back. Had no traction assist (spikes or snow shoes). We walked thru 8 to 14 inch deep snow for about 16 miles. It's one of my favorite trips. Beautiful scenery, the quiet of the woods, and no footprints - just virgin snow - made it feel like we were the only hikers on the trail.

Another Kevin
01-15-2013, 00:52
Lovely pictures!

In a lot of the places where I hike, The Authorities ask that hikers use snowshoes or skis whenever there are eight or more inches of snow on the trails, to avoid having the postholes create hazards for snowshoers or skiers who come after. (Worst is when you get a whole crowd postholing, compacting the trail to a skating rink.) But different places may well have different rules of etiquette.

canoe
01-15-2013, 01:05
In the SNP if you can remember which side of the road you are on, if you loose your way either walk eastesh or westesh

Kerosene
01-15-2013, 12:46
You should also make sure that you wear gaitors to keep the snow out of the tops of your waterproof boots.

MyName1sMud
01-15-2013, 13:01
I was up there just outside of Clingmans dome in March a few years back.....

Snow wasn't an issue....

Completly iced over trail??? complete with shear drop off? ISSUE.

Feral Bill
01-15-2013, 13:11
As to map and compass: use them to keep running track of where you ar as you go. If you wait until you are lost, it's too late. If you don't know how to use them, take a class or buy a book and learn how. It will enhance your trips greatly.

kayak karl
01-15-2013, 13:51
Smokies were ok. a few places were iffy, but saw blaze and was good to go. backtracked a few times. leaving Clingmans Dome i got lost for a bit.

Grayson Highland was the worst. needed to use compass and map to get back on trail.

Dr. Professor
01-15-2013, 15:07
If you are lost:

1) Backtrack to the last place where you were definitely on the trail, even if that is a long way away.

2) If you can't find your way on the trail in the direction you're headed, you're probably better off going the other way on the trail.

3) If you're truly lost in a linear park, there may be a safe direction to just walk out -- toward the road, for example.

4) If you're truly lost in remote wilderness (not the AT), you're probably better of staying where you are, especially if someone will know to come looking for you. This is when a spot device is your best friend.

Cookerhiker
01-15-2013, 18:08
My longest winter hike was in Southwestern VA and with all the fresh unbroken snow and no clear path apparent, yes it was hard and I lost the trail a few times. But some of that stretch went through open fields where it was a total guessing game for me.

However, the trail in Shenandoah isn't as hard to follow in snow unless you're talking 18 or more inches in which case you need snowshoes anyway. For one thing, the blazes are pretty frequent (yes, I know white blazes in snow can be hard to see but it's not that bad). And the corridor isn't hard to figure out since much of the trail is along a narrow ridge. And then there's Skyline Drive to help orient you. If it's closed, you won't here traffic but you'll see it more often with the lack of foliage.

Omaha_Ace
01-16-2013, 11:38
Hiking newly snowed over trails is one of my favorite excuses for not hiking "ON" the trails where I live and like to go backpacking. As long as your orienteering skills are to spec the world is your trail.