PDA

View Full Version : External Pack

bishopj
01-14-2013, 21:09
This a question for folks who still like to use external pack do you put your sleeping bag on top or
do you carry it on the bottom also do you carry two water bottles or just one.

Thank

leaftye
01-14-2013, 21:23
Good question. When I used to use one, I put my big synthetic sleeping bag on bottom because it'd help the pack stand up. That wouldn't work as well with a quilt.

moytoy
01-14-2013, 21:26
I stopped carrying my bag outside my pack 20 years ago. That's when I changed to a down bag. When I carry an external I carry my pad outside on the bottom. I carry two 32 oz bottles of water in dry conditions and only one bottle if water is plentiful.

Maybe one day
01-14-2013, 21:26
When I was using an external frame I did it both ways...found that carrying the bag on the bottom was better for me. Placing bag on top makes pack too tall and hangs on more limbs making getting under laydowns that are too tall to straddle even more difficult. I know a scout leader that swears by external frame and always has his bag on top.

RE Water - I always carry 2L minimum in winter, more in the summer

Slo-go'en
01-14-2013, 22:07
Back in the day when sleeping bags were bulky, they went on the bottom. Food bag went up on top as a counter balance. 7 pound tent stuffed into the compartment above the sleeping bag. Everything else in the big, main compartment. Quart water bottle in one of the side pockets, SEVA stove in the other side pocket. Fuel bottle where ever it would fit.

Feral Bill
01-14-2013, 23:41
Am I the only one to put the sleeping bag inside the pack?

moytoy
01-14-2013, 23:58
Am I the only one to put the sleeping bag inside the pack?
Not to be picky here but did you read post #3....:rolleyes:

Pendragon
01-15-2013, 00:13
Why is carrying the bag inside necessary with good waterproof compression sacks? I need the room inside for dry clothing and other stuff.

leaftye
01-15-2013, 00:33
Why is carrying the bag inside necessary with good waterproof compression sacks? I need the room inside for dry clothing and other stuff.

Carrying it inside offers the protection of very sturdy pack fabric. It also makes it easier to add an extra layer of protection with a pack liner.

Feral Bill
01-15-2013, 00:55
Not to be picky here but did you read post #3....:rolleyes:oops!!!!!!!!

dmax
01-15-2013, 02:11

Mine goes in the pack in the bottom compartment. I'm left with plenty of room in the top for the rest of my gear.

moytoy
01-15-2013, 07:28
Mine goes in the pack in the bottom compartment. I'm left with plenty of room in the top for the rest of my gear.
ditto on that...I can "live" with getting anything wet except my down sleeping bag.

leaftye
01-15-2013, 07:34

That works if you have a pack bag that extends to the bottom of the frame. If you don't, what do you put there?

jburgasser
01-15-2013, 08:44
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by dmax http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/Eloquent/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1393620#post1393620)

That works if you have a pack bag that extends to the bottom of the frame. If you don't, what do you put there?

+1 leaftye...Sleeping bag straps to the bottom of the frame, which for most externals is not hidden by the bottom of the compartment. I strap my sleep pad on the bottom, too. I put my tent poles down the inside of the pack, and my tent sits on top of everything, with my food bag just below the tent.

Ickybod

jburgasser
01-15-2013, 08:45
do you carry two water bottles or just one.

...and I carry 1 - 32 oz bottle and one bladder with hose.

Ickybod

k2basecamp
01-15-2013, 08:57
With the size of bags being more compact now I carry it inside the main compartment. As for water, I carry 1 water bottle in an outside pocket and use my water bladder from my daypack and fix the hose around the front to a strap. I also carry an MSR dromedary bag 2 liter size to carry water when I camp away from a source.

Tuckahoe
01-15-2013, 21:45
How I pack my external all depends on what I am going to carry.

On my last few summer trips I have put my 50 degree bag, sleeping pad, tent, tent poles and stakes, and foot print all in the lower compartment. I then put my clothes, food and cook kit in the upper compartment.

I have sold my Big Agnes pad, and gone back to my 25in x 77in Thermarest pad. That gets strapped to the frame under the lower compartment.

If I switch to my 15 degree bag, it will take up all of the lower compartment, and I have plenty of room in the upper compartment to move the tent there.

As far as water bottles I carry 2 quart bottles in an upper side pocket.