PDA

View Full Version : Nob's sleeping positions in hammock question

canoe
01-14-2013, 22:53
Is a hammock a one sleeping position (back) bed? or can one be used to side sleep?

Slowbo
01-14-2013, 23:21
Side works well. Stomach might be challenging.

Unitic
01-14-2013, 23:21
I am a side sleeper and am very comfortable in my BIAS and Blackbird gathered-end hammocks.

gunner76
01-14-2013, 23:38
I sleep on my back and or sides in my hammock without any problems. Sleeping on your stomach in a gathered end hammock is hard to do, I only know of one person who says he can do it. If you have to sleep on your stomach then look into getting a Bridge style hammock

canoe
01-14-2013, 23:44
Thanks guys. I am a back and side sleeper. I was in an outdoor store today and the girl who was very nice, but admittly did nt know much about Hammock told me that they were used for back only. I will continue to move forward in my hammock search and research.

burrito
01-15-2013, 12:45
I would also suggest you check out hammock forums.net does lots of great stuff over there

bigcranky
01-15-2013, 19:05
When I'm on the ground, I toss from one side to the other, then to my back, and so on all night long.

In a hammock, I lie down on my back, fall asleep immediately, and I don't move all night. Something about the comfort of that position, and the lack of pressure points, is just wonderful.

Dr. Professor
01-15-2013, 19:17
Four positions for me in my blackbird:

1) Right side down, diagonal to hammock with my feet in the footbox (the flattest position).
2) Same orientation but on my back.
3) Same orientation but on my left side.
4) On my back, straight down the line of the hammock, bent at the waist by about fifteen to twenty degrees or so with my feet higher than my head.

BigHodag
01-15-2013, 19:43
With a solid foam pad inside, its fairly easy to turn onto one's side and back again.

canoe
01-17-2013, 20:57
Thanks guysfor the help

scope
01-18-2013, 15:18
Side-sleeping is actually pretty good in a gathered end hammock with an underquilt as the hammock conforms to you. Its a little better in a hammock that gets staked out, like a HH or BB, because the sides are pulled away from you so that they are less in your face. This is one of the reasons I use a netless hammock when using a gathered end.

Have a bridge, too, and side is doable, but not as comfy as the other. Never had any luck sleeping on stomach in bridge or other hammock. I do a lot of stomach sleeping at home and when I used to camp on the ground, so my body is sort of used to wanting to go to my stomach and I have to mentally tell it no. A minor issue that moves toward being no issue the more nights I'm out in the hammock.

Deadeye
01-18-2013, 15:30
When I'm on the ground, I toss from one side to the other, then to my back, and so on all night long.

In a hammock, I lie down on my back, fall asleep immediately, and I don't move all night. Something about the comfort of that position, and the lack of pressure points, is just wonderful.

+1 Exactly!