PDA

View Full Version : Hiker weight loss challenge

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

HikerRanky
05-06-2008, 10:07
I am holding at around 210 myself I am giving you the same address I am giving myself, I need to get back on my eating program and I need to commit to writing everything down. Most of the times when I hit walls in the weight loss game it is because I have gotten slack with writing stuff down. Easy to say hard to do, let's do it together!

I'm certain it's not the eating program in my case.... My wife has been keeping me on that....... I've been eating the same items over the last 5 weeks.... But I'll commit to keeping a compelte journal not just the food....

I think that it's a matter of my body getting used to the exercise program I've been doing over the last week or so... I eat my lunch at my desk, and then I take the hour I get and get out and speed walk... At first I was able to get in about 2.5 miles, and I'm up to about 3.5 miles now. I am also carrying a 25 pound pack when I do this. And it's a roller coaster kind of route I've been taking... One section climbs 300 feet in a quarter mile, and then drops back down about 400 feet in the next quarter mile.

Randy

HikerRanky
05-06-2008, 10:09
are you planning to use an AT thru hike as your weight loss method?
if so,when do you plan on doing the hike?

I would LOVE to do a thru hike, but alas, I'm one of these section hikers....

Randy

Ashman
05-06-2008, 11:28
Randy sounds like you are doing the right things maybe just switch it up. If you are doing the same exercise try doing somehting different to "shock" the body. I have found (me personally) that my body gets used to what I doing and reacts accordingly so I have to switch things up to keep it on its toes!

HikerRanky
05-06-2008, 11:32
Randy sounds like you are doing the right things maybe just switch it up. If you are doing the same exercise try doing somehting different to "shock" the body. I have found (me personally) that my body gets used to what I doing and reacts accordingly so I have to switch things up to keep it on its toes!

Yeah, that's probably what I need to do.... It maybe that I need to "shock" the system both from a food type source and an exercise type source.... Is it best to shock both at the same time, or alternate? Any ideas there?

Thanks for the input!

Randy

mudhead
05-06-2008, 11:36
Try: Walk, then eat. Another walk at night, even a short one. Big charge of water before chowing helps me, as do carrots. I like carrots.

HikerRanky
05-06-2008, 11:58
Try: Walk, then eat. Another walk at night, even a short one. Big charge of water before chowing helps me, as do carrots. I like carrots.

That's a great idea to walk then eat.... Thanks much!

Randy

Ashman
05-06-2008, 13:50
If you can get in a workout in the morning before breakfast that helps alot as well.

Lilred
05-07-2008, 11:59
Well, checking in after my week in Key West. I had gained 4 lbs, but since have lost two of those again. I'm at 19.6 total loss right now, but feel confident I'll be back to 21.6 by my next weigh in. 2.5 weeks till I leave for me six week section hike. Hoping to lose a bunch on my hike, but we'll see.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-29-2008, 13:53
Well, the female Dino (hereafter referred to as Lard-Arsed Lizard) is re-joining the senior wellness center where she was in physical torture for-flipping-ever. Alas, the weight isn't coming off and I can't do the strengthening and flexibility exercises I need to without a warm water pool (used mostly for folks with arthritis).

Lilred
06-29-2008, 14:30
Whatever happened to this thread?/ How's everybody else doing? I'm up to a total weight loss of 25 lbs. Been stuck here for about 4 weeks though :(

HikerRanky
06-29-2008, 14:51
I think several things happened to the thread.... Some people went on the ultimate weight loss by hiking..... Some people stopped reporting.......some simply dropped off....

I'm at a total loss of 20 lbs.... All time peak was a loss of 25 pounds back in May.... Had too much good food at my niece's wedding last weekend, and too much good seafood in Panama City this past week......

Climbabout has been making slow and steady progress.......

Hope your sunburn is better than mine LilRed.... and glad you and your hubby got to spend some good time together in Pensacola....

Randy

Ashman
06-29-2008, 14:59
Just got back from a weekend hike, I am flip flopping between 210 and 215, need to get back with it, thanks for the bump

Frolicking Dinosaurs
06-29-2008, 17:03
A big WooHoo to those who have lost

And boy am I glad to see folks who want to lose along with me.

double d
06-29-2008, 18:08
Congrats to all those who have been losing weight as well, I've always had alot of respect for those to stick to a weight lose plan. I see that Lone Wolf lost 67 pounds back in '05, have you been able to keep it off LW? Of course hiking is a calorie burner!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-02-2008, 12:49
::: Dino seen considering sniveling and definitely limping after first day back at gym :::

Did AFAP I (stretching & mild exercise) & II (regular water aerobics done slowly and carefully - no bone-jarring moves) (http://www.arthritis.org/aquatic-program.php) and water therapy exercises in between. While I don't have arthritis, I do have significant strength and range of motion issues and these class helped me get in good enough shape to take more advanced classes after my 2004 accident.

Lilred
07-02-2008, 18:26
Well, I don't know what's happened, but since my last post just a few days ago, I've dropped another 5 POUNDS!!! I'm at an even 30 lost now, and for my reward, I got my teeth whitened!!! WOW, what a difference. Mick agreed that if I get down to my goal weight of 132, he'll let me pull a 'What Not to Wear' and take me to NYC for a $5000 dollar shopping spree. He only agreed cause he thinks I'll never be able to do it. HAH!!! It may take me a year or more, but don't EVER give a woman that kind of incentive.....

mrc237
07-02-2008, 18:32
Weighed in this PM @ 210 for a -42 since last Oct. Progress not Perfection! :)

take-a-knee
07-02-2008, 23:45
Walked 122 AT miles, went from 169# to 164#. It'll be interesting to see if I can keep it off and lose some more.

Frosty
07-02-2008, 23:58
Mick agreed that if I get down to my goal weight of 132, he'll let me pull a 'What Not to Wear' and take me to NYC for a $5000 dollar shopping spree. He only agreed cause he thinks I'll never be able to do it. HAH!!! It may take me a year or more, but don't EVER give a woman that kind of incentive.....Unless you want her to meet and exceed the challenge, of course. He is either a fool and a thoughtful and supportive man who has your best interests at heart.

Frosty
07-03-2008, 00:17
Unless you want her to meet and exceed the challenge, of course. He is either a fool and a thoughtful and supportive man who has your best interests at heart.Grrr. Gotta proof better or renew:

EIther a fool OR a thoughtful and ....

Hammock Hanger
07-03-2008, 08:33
I've been away for awhile. I've gained 8.6 pounds and am at my all time HIGH. Congrats on all of you for your weight loss but I would appreciate it if you would STOP sending my way!!

Good news my knee is feeling better.

HH

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-09-2008, 14:25
Great to hear the knees are better, HH.

See thread at Rock's site for all future updates (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?p=26269#post26269)

Ashman
07-09-2008, 14:39
I had gotten down to 206.5, after this weekend I was back up to 221.5. This morning I am back down to 212.4. Still have a ways to go but I am back on my diet and exercise regimine with a net loss of 35 pounds since June of last year. I need another hike and I don't have one on my horizon, thats got me bummed.

Another thing, I don't lose weight on my hikes I gain it. Guess I am not going hard enough and I am eating too much food. Of course at this point 4 days/ 34 miles is the longest I have done. I am planning to do SNP next summer but I would love to get in a few more before then.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-17-2008, 00:12
Update_ (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?p=26333#post26333)

take-a-knee
07-17-2008, 00:46
Lost one pound, down to 163. This Crossfit thing really works, www.crossfit.com I did 12 pullups at the gym tonight, I haven't been able to do that in over fifteen years.

Lillianp
07-17-2008, 13:19
I haven't posted in this thread before, but I figured I better start chiming in-it'll keep my spirits up or something as I'm trying to lose the extra fat before I start seriously hiking (preparation hikes for the AT then the AT). I've dropped about 10 or so in the past 1.5-2 months but as always, those are the easiest to lose (I did the same last summer and gained them all back this past school year). The struggle will be to continue to lose the extra fat over this coming school year when I have less time to exercise and want to eat more because of stress. Any suggestions?

Plodderman
07-17-2008, 13:38
I have lost around 30 pounds and am continuing to try and drop more. After spending a week hiking in Virginia I am now hiking locally and adding a little bit of running to lose another 30.

Ashman
07-17-2008, 13:43
Great update Dino way to go! I am down 10 ponds since July 4th weekend but I am still 3.5 pounds away from my lowest point this year. Gotta keep going!

Homer&Marje
07-17-2008, 14:51
Youngblood and me are tired of being overweight and have challenged one another to lose weight. Youngblood put together a chart (attached) and we are going to weigh ourselves every Wednesday. My goal is to get down to 200 pounds. I weighed 232.4 this morning. The capper was ending up in the emergency room last Friday night with a scare. Thankfully it wasn't my ticker. Besides, it's hard enough climbing a big mountain with a full pack without carrying an extra 30 pounds up the hill.

Anybody want to join us? If so, should we come up with some kind of incentive and target date? A prize to the person who loses the largest percentage of their body weight? I'm hoping that public scrutiny and the shame & humiliation of possible failure will encourage me. I also hope it'll get me off of my duff and out on the trail more often.

Hikers currently attempting a thru-hike need not apply. You're probably gonna lose weight whether or not you want to.

Who's in?

Mowgli, just go on a hunger strike until the Yanks win a Series again. You're sure to win:D. Sorry just read this post and had to get in, unfortunately I don't lose weight, when i eat right and get in shape i gain weight not that i mind, i eat unhealthy do virtually no excercise but hiking and weigh 230 lbs. But i am a big statured person

cowboy nichols
07-17-2008, 15:26
Havn't reported in in a while, down 15lb. that leaves 20 to go. Getting Lyme desease didn't help I'm only now getting back to walking and my knees are really not helping.

Patrickjd9
07-17-2008, 18:51
I didn't sign up and I've lost 49 pounds since January 1. My wife is working with me and has lost 31.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-19-2008, 07:43
I didn't sign up and I've lost 49 pounds since January 1. My wife is working with me and has lost 31.High fives to you both and to Cowboy Nichols, Plodderman, Ashman, LillianP and TAK.

Update on my progress (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?p=26368#post26368)

Captn
07-19-2008, 11:54
High fives to you both and to Cowboy Nichols, Plodderman, Ashman, LillianP and TAK.

Update on my progress (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?p=26368#post26368)

Down 41 as of this morning ....!

Should make for some better trail miles.

modiyooch
07-19-2008, 12:37
strangely enough, last year I hiked 7 trips, 5-10 days each. I gained the same solid 5 pounds for each hike.

Lillianp
07-21-2008, 11:53
High fives to you both and to Cowboy Nichols, Plodderman, Ashman, LillianP and TAK.

Thanks!
I'm still at the same weight I was a week ago. I was hoping for a downward change of like, a pound or two. I know its slow, but i've been very active recently. I'm attempting optimism and saying its because I've gained muscle. :D

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-21-2008, 19:12
Lillian, hang in there. The loss will come.

HikerRanky
07-21-2008, 20:31
Thanks!
I'm still at the same weight I was a week ago. I was hoping for a downward change of like, a pound or two. I know its slow, but i've been very active recently. I'm attempting optimism and saying its because I've gained muscle. :D

Lillian,

Don't fret over staying the same.... I started dropping fast the first few weeks, and then hit a plateau for several weeks.... I was exercising and eating better, but it didn't help....

Eventually, the weight started coming off again. What did it for me was changing the exercise routine and different foods...

Keep it up!

Randy

mrc237
07-21-2008, 22:16
+4 lbs so far this summer did a 60 mi hike LW 1 town stop had 1 too many

Lillianp
07-21-2008, 22:16
Hey thanks all. (My real name's Emily-I can go by Em.. I just use Lillian as a username.) Good to know I'm not alone in that plateau thing. Its frustrating as all get out, because its kind of hard to be patient and keep at it, reminding myself that you know, exercise is GOOD. :eek:
-Em

modiyooch
07-21-2008, 23:54
Thanks!
I'm still at the same weight I was a week ago. I was hoping for a downward change of like, a pound or two. I know its slow, but i've been very active recently. I'm attempting optimism and saying its because I've gained muscle. :DVery well could be muscle. Inches is a better indicator. I strongly recommend you get measurements for comparison.

Lillianp
07-22-2008, 08:27
Very well could be muscle. Inches is a better indicator. I strongly recommend you get measurements for comparison.
I should probably buy a tape measure then. :-?
That would make sense. Definitely considering it. Best of luck to all
-Em

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-24-2008, 08:37
New Update (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?p=26858#post26858)

Frolicking Dinosaurs
07-31-2008, 07:43
New Update (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?p=29461#post29461)

mrc237
07-31-2008, 08:53
Lost that nasty +4 and + a -2 to a 208! for a total -44

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-05-2008, 13:18
::: Dino gives EZ a high five :::

Update (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?p=31329#post31329)

MOWGLI
08-12-2008, 15:04
Jut back from a hike out west, weighing in at 217. I'm hoping to get down to 200 again. We'll see....

Frosty
08-12-2008, 15:18
Jut back from a hike out west, weighing in at 217. I'm hoping to get down to 200 again. We'll see....showoff :D

June 2, 2006, Post # 26 in this thread, I was 260. Now, over two years later, I had my annual physical and I weighed...264.

Somehow this isn't working the way I intended.

MOWGLI
08-12-2008, 15:46
showoff :D

June 2, 2006, Post # 26 in this thread, I was 260. Now, over two years later, I had my annual physical and I weighed...264.

Somehow this isn't working the way I intended.

I find that I tend to move back to an equilibrium point with my weight, which is around 230. You're pretty tall Frosty - as I recall. You certainly don't look heavy. But you definitely feel better with less weight on. At least I do.

If I walk more and eat less, I tend to lose the weight. Problem is, I almost always gravitate back to the sweets. I'm hoping I can break that trend this time.

Don't give up!

Hammock Hanger
08-12-2008, 17:59
This is the first summer in 8 years that I did not go out and hike. Two weeks ago I hit my all time high weight!!!! OUCH!!! Usually I lose a good 20-30 pounds while out hiking. Over the course of the winter I gradually put it back on. Then I know it is time to go back out hiking.

I have been watching my portions and running in the pool for at least an hour a day. I have dropped 12. However, it is a much slower and less enjoyable process then hiking it away. :(

Due to some family issues and the sky-rocketing air fares I have put my Spain hike on hold. I am planning on hiking the GA half of the Pinhoti come November, unfortunately it is not a long enough hike to shed any real weight. Guess I'll have to wait until I return to the GET next year to see any real weight loss.

Good luck to you all and congrats to those of you that are making a difference in your waistline.

FritztheCat
08-12-2008, 21:59
Diets are tough and it seems that there isn't one out there that will work for everyone. Kudos to you all!

My wife and step-daughter have been on this diet after reading a book called "You on a Diet". The book focuses on waist management rather than weight management. It's been interesting. They are dropping weight and waist sizes. In six weeks, they have each lost about 4 waist sizes (one going from 37 inches to 32). Wife has me on the plan because of my high cholesterol. One of the neat tricks is eating a handful of walnuts 30 minutes prior to dinner. That's the equivalent of 6 walnuts or 12 half pieces. Something about the fat content in the walnuts makes you eat less for dinner but still feel full.

Anyway, I wanted to share that with you all and encourage you to keep at it. I've seen tremendous changes in the ones I love not only with their appearance but with their happiness and general well being.

Hammock Hanger
08-12-2008, 22:08
Diets are tough and it seems that there isn't one out there that will work for everyone. Kudos to you all!

My wife and step-daughter have been on this diet after reading a book called "You on a Diet". The book focuses on waist management rather than weight management. It's been interesting. They are dropping weight and waist sizes. In six weeks, they have each lost about 4 waist sizes (one going from 37 inches to 32). Wife has me on the plan because of my high cholesterol. One of the neat tricks is eating a handful of walnuts 30 minutes prior to dinner. That's the equivalent of 6 walnuts or 12 half pieces. Something about the fat content in the walnuts makes you eat less for dinner but still feel full.

Anyway, I wanted to share that with you all and encourage you to keep at it. I've seen tremendous changes in the ones I love not only with their appearance but with their happiness and general well being.

I love Dr. OZ :)

Frosty
08-12-2008, 23:19
Due to some family issues and the sky-rocketing air fares I have put my Spain hike on hold. I hope to do the Camino de Santiago next April.

I've been tracking air fare to Madrid, Paris and Lisbon. Madrid is the cheapest, with flights next April holding steady at around $980, although today they showed up at $902. I'm hoping (gambling?) they'll drop next winter a couple months before I want to fly. If necessary, I could put it off until the fall of '09, but I prefer the spring.

Hammock Hanger
08-13-2008, 10:03
Not sure when I'll be able to reschedule but it would most likely be spring or fall. One of the ladies I was going to hike with is still going, solo. She will be taking detailed notes for me.

cowboy nichols
08-13-2008, 10:45
Down to 150 My sons wedding was a big diet help no time to cook or eat cold cereal seems to be a good diet food.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-26-2008, 13:48
{{{ Hammock Hanger }}} So sorry to hear the Camino de Santiago hike has been delayed.

Congrats to Cowboy Nichols (and to his son & new bride)

Update on the Dino's workouts and progress (http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?p=36269#post36269)

adventurousmtnlvr
08-26-2008, 13:58
definitely in on this one ... helps tremendously with "motivation" since I nearly lost mine recently, lol. This is great Mowgli ... if HH can't keep track of nor has time for, I'd be happy to do that 'privately' if it's necessary. I need to lose more than she does and I do have a thyroid problem to boot.