PDA

View Full Version : Hiker weight loss challenge

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MOWGLI
06-02-2005, 18:13
Youngblood and me are tired of being overweight and have challenged one another to lose weight. Youngblood put together a chart (attached) and we are going to weigh ourselves every Wednesday. My goal is to get down to 200 pounds. I weighed 232.4 this morning. The capper was ending up in the emergency room last Friday night with a scare. Thankfully it wasn't my ticker. Besides, it's hard enough climbing a big mountain with a full pack without carrying an extra 30 pounds up the hill.

Anybody want to join us? If so, should we come up with some kind of incentive and target date? A prize to the person who loses the largest percentage of their body weight? I'm hoping that public scrutiny and the shame & humiliation of possible failure will encourage me. I also hope it'll get me off of my duff and out on the trail more often.

Hikers currently attempting a thru-hike need not apply. You're probably gonna lose weight whether or not you want to.

Who's in?

neo
06-02-2005, 18:18
Youngblood and me are tired of being overweight and have challenged one another to lose weight. Youngblood put together a chart (attached) and we are going to weigh ourselves every Wednesday. My goal is to get down to 200 pounds. I weighed 232.4 this morning. The capper was ending up in the emergency room last Friday night with a scare. Thankfully it wasn't my ticker. Besides, it's hard enough climbing a big mountain with a full pack without carrying an extra 30 pounds up the hill.

Anybody want to join us? If so, should we come up with some kind of incentive and target date? A prize to the person who loses the largest percentage of their body weight? I'm hoping that public scrutiny and the shame & humuliation of possible failure will encourage me. I also hope it'll get me off of my duff and out on the trail more often.

Hikers currently attempting a thru-hike need not apply. You're probably gonna lose weight whether or not you want to.

Who's in?i need to lose 20 to 25 lbs myself:cool: neo

count me in :cool: i wiegh 192,i want to get to 170:cool: neo

Sly
06-02-2005, 18:28
I could stand to lose 35 pounds myself, but in order to lose that kind of weight I need to thru-hike! :rolleyes:

OK maybe if I get a bike, or start jogging. Go on the Abs diet, yeah that's the ticket!

First I need a scale. I'll get back to you.

Hammock Hanger
06-02-2005, 18:38
I would love to join you and God knows I need to. I've always been honest enough to say I'm over weight but to post my weight... Even in weight watchers that number is secret!! :)

I need to lose 30 pounds and I'll let ya know how I'm doing. Maybe I'll even bite the bullet and post my weight, but I'll have to think about it. :(

Good Luck to ya. Sue/HH

TakeABreak
06-02-2005, 18:48
Yeah, I agree I need to lose weight too, I think everyone who has done the A.T. has a problem with eating afterwards, I do not know what my weight is but I am sure it is around 225, when I get to 200 I will let you know.

I am considering a NOBO next winter, God willing, so I need to get to at least 200 beofre I start, I would like to be around 190 - 195, as an average weight. What can I say I 6ft with broad shoulders, if I get to low (around 175) like on did on the last hike. people start top think there is something wrong with me.

Kevin A. Boyce
06-02-2005, 18:56
:banana Sounds like a good challenge!:banana

I am working on the ol' diet weight loss thing too, down almost 30lbs since March 1, and want to shed a fair amount more too...

Currently, I am weighing in at a , uh hem... uh.. 270lbs... Figure since my gear is going ultralight, I should too! At the rate I am going, I'll hit my goal weight in December so the timing works out pretty good.

Count me in...
KevBoy

neo
06-02-2005, 18:58
lets do it then:cool: neo

MOWGLI
06-02-2005, 19:27
Good to see a nice response. What I suggest participants do is find a scale and use the same scale each time you weigh yourself. Unless you make sure different scales are synchronized, you'll get choppy results by switching back & forth.

Do you think folks should PM me with their starting weights so we don't clutter up this thread, or should public disclosure be the rule?

Maybe the fairer sex among us would prefer to play along - but not divulge their exact numbers. I'd be willing to display percentage of body weight lost for any women - or Sue, you could potentially track any women who want to play along to ensure the data remains private.

I welcome your responses. The more the merrier. Lets create a little group and support one another in our quest to get healthier. I find that always works well for me.

Lone Wolf
06-02-2005, 19:34
I've lost 67 lbs. since last Sept. Do I get a prize?

MOWGLI
06-02-2005, 19:38

Dude, if not for the beard, I wouldn't have recognized you at Trail Days. Seriously, that's inspiring.

My biggest problem is keeping weight off. The only habits I seem capable of forming are bad ones. :dance

Alligator
06-02-2005, 19:38
I'm game. I won't be at a scale until tomorrow though.

Alligator
06-02-2005, 19:41
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

but no prize, challenge starts today.

robin31
06-02-2005, 19:45
Do you think one could/would lose build muscle faster by hiking a short distance with a buttload of heavy weight on them or to UL the pack and go further? Distance hiked would be the same.

Just pickin around in my brain....

MOWGLI
06-02-2005, 19:49
Do you think one could/would lose build muscle faster by hiking a short distance with a buttload of heavy weight on them or to UL the pack and go further? Distance hiked would be the same.

Just pickin around in my brain....

Ya know, you could fill a thimble with all I know about losing weight and keeping it off, but the CDC has a great website for this kinda info;

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/physical/index.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/tips/index.htm

My guess is that regular excercise and a healthy diet is the best route.

Lone Wolf
06-02-2005, 19:50
I had a health issue. A minor stroke. So changing my eating, drinking and exercising habits was a no-brainer. Gonna run a 50 mile trail run in October. Anyone wanna join me?
http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/mmtr.htm

neo
06-02-2005, 20:01
yeah,how about a date with hillary clinton:cool: neo

neo
06-02-2005, 20:03
loser has a choice of janet reno or hillary clinton:cool: neo

Doctari
06-02-2005, 20:10
OK, sure. Perhaps with suport I too can lose some un-needed fat.

I weigh (in work clothes, steel toed boots) 208.0, so probably around 199 to 200 ish, au natural.

I would like to get down to at least 165.0, I know I feel much better at that weight. BTW: I am 5' 7" give or take 1/2 inch.

So what is our goal? Rate?

I'm assuming the prize is a better us.

Doctari.

neo
06-02-2005, 20:10

congrats on losing 67 lbs,and making changes to improve your health,just kiddin about winning a date with hillary.:cool: neo

MOWGLI
06-02-2005, 20:20
So what is our goal? Rate?

I'm assuming the prize is a better us.

Doctari.

I think the goal is individual in nature. Lets shoot for quarterly results - September 1 2005, December 1 2005, March 1 2006, June 1 2006. If I'm to be successful, I need to be interested in this 1 year from now. Ideally I'll weigh 195 a year from now.

I agree that there should probably be no prize.

Wouldn't it be cool if we could demonstrate a signficant collective weight loss? And they say organizing hikers is like herding cats...

Mags
06-02-2005, 20:22
I had a health issue. A minor stroke. So changing my eating, drinking and exercising habits was a no-brainer. Gonna run a 50 mile trail run in October. Anyone wanna join me?

I am doing this one in two weeks: http://www.lakecity50.com/

And this one in August:
http://www.leadvilletrail100.com/

I'll be easy to spot in both races, I'll be the guy saying "WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING THIS FOR?!??!" :D

Mags, a slow runner....

Goon
06-02-2005, 20:23
I've been steadily losing weight over the last 4 years (150 lbs), finally getting down to around 235. I'm a big guy, 6'6", so that should be just about right.

I was struggling to stay around 235 and not gain any, but then I did a 90 mile section of the AT a couple of months ago. Since then I've noticed it is no longer hard to stay at 235, in fact I gained a little on a business trip and lost it very easily when I got home.

Guess I'm trying to say that hiking definitely helps with weight loss, and not just while you are on the trail but for some time afterwards.

Frosty
06-02-2005, 20:42
Do you think one could/would lose build muscle faster by hiking a short distance with a buttload of heavy weight on them or to UL the pack and go further? Alas, I always have a big buttload of weight with me at all times, with or sans pack. A big gutload, too.

digger51
06-02-2005, 20:44
A couple of years ago I lost 130 pounds of ugly fat. Thank heavens she signed the divorce papers. I could stand to lose 30 off the frame now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tha Wookie
06-02-2005, 20:44
Wolf, I might be in on that one. I've been out on hikes during the last several MM's. I heard about it from a guy named Travis who does ultras when we crossed paths doing 14er's in CO. He told me about your run. Did you really drink a beer at every hydration station? I don't think I could keep up with that kind of pace!

I'm seriously considering it for this year! Been running 4-5 miles every other day, but nothing longer than 10 yet. Any advice?

Good for you, losing all that weight:D

Frosty
06-02-2005, 20:54
Who's in?This is a good idea, but I'm not sure what my goal should be. I'm 6' 5", and the stupid charts say I should weigh about 200 pounds or less. Not bloody likely without multiple amputations. I weigh about 250. Except for my gut it doesn't look too bad because I'm so tall. I know that is too much because of the size of my gut, but I don't know how low to shoot for. My thought is 220, but maybe lower?

I would like to be leaner by next March 1.

Okay, I just stepped on the scales. 260.0 Count me in. I'll shoot for 210. I'll never make it, but better to reach than settle, eh?

Mags
06-02-2005, 21:00
I'm seriously considering it for this year! Been running 4-5 miles every other day, but nothing longer than 10 yet. Any advice?

Start slow...then taper off. :)

Unless you are a good runner (which I ain't), most people find they can run the flats and downhills and powerhike the uphills.

As an exeperinced thru-hiker, your endurance base is much higher than most.

I need to lose ~10lbs or so myself. Curse of the Magnanti! Long history of short, stocky contadino . More pack mule than race horse. :)

Pencil Pusher
06-02-2005, 21:14
Did you do the Bolder Boulder this past weekend?

max patch
06-02-2005, 22:22
[QUOTE=digger51 I could stand to lose 30 off the frame now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

We're the same age. I went on the South Beach Diet in Jan and followed the Phase 1 eating plans for 2 weeks and lost 15 pounds. Back to normal weight and have kept it off. Only problem is that I normally run 10 miles every other day and the 2nd week I didn't have sufficient stamina to do that routine - probably due to lack of carbs. So 2nd week I ran 5 miles every day instead. That was doable. Good luck.

Clark Fork
06-03-2005, 01:29
I discovered these ideal weight charts and calculators a few months ago on another Forum:

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm (http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm)

Of importance is the BMI (body mass index)

Here is another chart, it looks less generous than the first:

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm (http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm)

I lost 40 lbs last year. Besides the 1 hour per day walk/run I do in the hills around my house each day and holding up on wheat and sugar, the thing the made the most difference was writing down everything I ate each day. I can't figure out why that works but it did. I kept a steno pad in the kitchen and just wrote down everything I ate. I lost about 6lbs per month.

Best Regards,

Clark Fork in Western Montana

Doctari
06-03-2005, 08:43
I just did one of the weight calculators as posted by Clark Fork http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm and I either have to loose 40 lbs or grow 11 inches to be at "ideal weight". So my conclusion is: I'm not fat, just too short for my weight :)

Youngblood
06-03-2005, 08:52
I've lost 67 lbs. since last Sept. Do I get a prize?Yeah, we won't call you Walking Eagle! :) Guess we have a good sized (like the pun) flock of Walking Eagles on Whiteblaze. I liked the joke about being too full to fly and maybe we should use it on our quest to lose weight without going on a thru hike... like it better than some of the other well known names that describes this condition of being to short for my weight.

I claim the (hopefully) temporary name of Walking Eagle1. Little Bear, I'm going to dub you Walking Eagle2, can you handle that?

Youngblood

Hammock Hanger
06-03-2005, 08:56
I just did one of the weight calculators as posted by Clark Fork http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/body.htm and I either have to loose 40 lbs or grow 11 inches to be at "ideal weight". So my conclusion is: I'm not fat, just too short for my weight :)
I really like the idea of being too short vs being too fat!! ..."does this dress make me look too short...:p "

Sue/HH

MOWGLI
06-03-2005, 09:01
Little Bear, I'm going to dub you Walking Eagle2, can you handle that?

Youngblood

What's that? Walking Eagle squared? Does that mean I'm twice as full of it as compared to you? I'll buy that! :D

Hammock Hanger
06-03-2005, 09:06
Yeah, we won't call you Walking Eagle! :) Guess we have a good sized (like the pun) flock of Walking Eagles on Whiteblaze. I liked the joke about being too full to fly and maybe we should use it on our quest to lose weight without going on a thru hike... like it better than some of the other well known names that describes this condition of being to short for my weight.

I claim the (hopefully) temporary name of Walking Eagle1. Little Bear, I'm going to dub you Walking Eagle2, can you handle that?

Youngblood
Okay here goes... I'm 178 and I need, want to be 155.:o Can I be Walking Eagle #3??? (Can't believe I went public wit that:eek: ) Sue

MOWGLI
06-03-2005, 09:08
Okay here goes... I'm 178 and I need, want to be 155.:o Can I be Walking Eagle #3??? (Can't believe I went public wit that:eek: ) Sue

Thanks Sue. We're working on an updated spreadsheet with new names. Consider yourself in.

neo
06-03-2005, 09:09
A couple of years ago I lost 130 pounds of ugly fat. Thank heavens she signed the divorce papers. I could stand to lose 30 off the frame now. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thats no way to talk about the little wifey:cool: neo

Jaybird
06-03-2005, 09:24
I think the goal is individual in nature. Lets shoot for quarterly results - September 1 2005, December 1 2005, March 1 2006, June 1 2006. If I'm to be successful, I need to be interested in this 1 year from now. Ideally I'll weigh 195 a year from now.
I agree that there should probably be no prize.
Wouldn't it be cool if we could demonstrate a signficant collective weight loss? And they say organizing hikers is like herding cats...

i've lost 42 lbs...because of hikin' (& bicycling) in the past 6 months...mainly because i didnt want to carry my "EXTRA WEIGHT" up those mountains.

i lost 11.5 lbs in 3+ weeks of hiking (Apr 28-May 20)...would've been more...but i had 3 MONSTER BURGERS & fries & ice cream in those 3 weeks....yummmmmmmmy! :D

trying to get down to 170lbs by July 16th...when i participate in the TN SENIOR (OLYMPICS) GAMES. (Cycling events)

P.S...."Cycle Hiker" just lost 20 LBS! His bicycle...hehehehehe! :D

Mike
06-03-2005, 10:26
Count me in on this. I have been doing a diet/exercise routine since Feb and am down 28 lbs. I started at 6'1" 255 and am on my way down. I weighed in this morning at 227. My goal is to get down to 190.

My current routine is 30 min on the exercise bike in the morning (5 days a week) and 40 min hiking a local state park trail at lunch with 30lb pack (5 days a week). Nice thing about the lunch deal is I am not tempted to go indulge at Qdoba... I just take a calorie restricted bag lunch. So I am losing weight, saving money and using my time more constructively.

squirrel bait
06-03-2005, 10:43
Count me in. Don't have a scale here at the house, will have to report back on start wieght. My guess, about 210 on a 5'9" frame. I tried to find the spreadsheet on the first post but could'nt find it. Goal wieght: 175. Good luck to all and if we need to chip in on the grand prize. maybe we could each donate a small inexpensive piece of gear or put together some kind of trip. Like if the winner came to this area I would take them fishing or to the beach. Show off the new bod. Just throwing around ideas. Maybe we could arrange shuttles or set up their campsite for a weekend hike, let them slackpack.

The Scribe
06-03-2005, 10:58
Count me in. I am 5-10 or so and 227. I have been watching my carbs and dropped 35 lbs in the past year or more. Seemed to have leveled off at this weight but would LOVE to hit 200.

scribe.

Footslogger
06-03-2005, 10:58
I've been thinking really hard about losing weight over the past several months. Unfortunately that's about as far as it's gotten. Pre thru-hike weight was 178 and by Harpers I weighed in at 148. Levelled off at that point. Two years post thru-hike and my weight is 180 (give or take). Ideal weight for me is around 160. That's only 20 lbs. Guess I'm gonna have to stop thinking about it and get back out there on the trail !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

Stoker53
06-03-2005, 12:30
I'm in!!!!..........and feeling much better about my weight after reading the other posts.

5'8" - 164 lbs and want to get back to my bike racing weight of 145 +/- a few lbs.

Mags
06-03-2005, 12:32
Did you do the Bolder Boulder this past weekend?

I am always out of town for this race. Running with 50k people (Yes 50000 !), is not my idea of fun.

This is what I did over Mem. Day weekend:
http://gallery.backcountry.net/cr05

Love the canyon country of Utah.

Pencil Pusher
06-03-2005, 13:34
Nice pics. Why is it so bright out and what is that yellow orb in the sky?

littlelaurel59
06-03-2005, 13:43
Best of luck to all!!!

A little over a year ago, my son graduated from Cubs into Boy Scouts. This provided me the excuse to get back into backpacking after several years away. I began surfing the web hiking sites, discovered Whitelbaze, and became intrigued by the idea of ultralight backpacking. I replaced some 25 year old equipment, shedding about 10-15 pounds from my backpack. I then had the realization that it would help to do something about the frontpack as well!!!

I shed 25 pounds, and the result has been great. I can get up the hills a bit easier, the knees don't hurt quite so bad, and heartburn is a thing of the past!

My 2 words of wisdom: 1)Avoid the "white foods" (sugar, rice, potatoes, and things made from processed white flour), and 2) Eat when you are hungry, but ONLY when you are hungry. [#1 can be violated a little when engaged in intense, prolonged physical activity]

Cookerhiker
06-03-2005, 14:37
At 5'11 1/2", I was 200#s when I started a 180 mile section hike in mid-October. After 2 1/2 weeks hiking SOBO from Allen Gap to Rt. 64 plus another 90 miles in PA second week in November, I was down to 180 where I've stayed since. On the PA rocks, I broke a small bone in my foot which actually was a blessing in disguise because it drove me to the exercise bike which I've used 4-5 times a week since (that is, when I'm not hiking). I find the bike helps with both aerobic exercise and my legs/quads without the knee stress of jogging.

I still want to lose another 10 - hopefully my Gorham-to-Katahdin trek planned to start mid-August will do the trick.

MOWGLI
06-03-2005, 15:11
OK folks, there are (13) people who are "in". All folks through Stoker have been added to the Spreadsheet thanks to Youngblood. I still need starting weights from Alligator and Sly.

KevBoy suggested that folks send me a PM with your weight each Wednesday. Since I don't have time to chase folks, I'm gonna rely on y'all to report on a timely basis. At the Close of Business (COB) each Wednesday I'll update the spreadsheet and replace the current file with an updated file by Thursday COB. If I don't have your weight for the week, I'll just update it with the last weight provided.

Please continue to use this thread to encourage one another.

Anyone still wanting to join in the fun is encouraged to do so! Your name will be added to the updated spreadsheet on the following Thursday.

Let the good eating and excercise habits begin! If you haven't already committed to attend a National Trails Day event tomorrow, that would be a good way to get the ball rolling. You can find an event near you at the following link; http://www.americanhiking.org/events/ntd/events.html

Bad Ass Turtle
06-03-2005, 16:02
I'm in, too -- starting weight is 174; I'm shooting for 155.

Do we have the same body, HH?

Of course, the month I plan to spend sweating on the trail (MA and VT) in July and August will help out with reaching my goal --

B A Turtle

Hammock Hanger
06-03-2005, 17:13
I'm in, too -- starting weight is 174; I'm shooting for 155.

Do we have the same body, HH?

Of course, the month I plan to spend sweating on the trail (MA and VT) in July and August will help out with reaching my goal --

B A Turtle
Hey BA, we are damn close. I am not doing any long distance hiking this year so you've got an edge on me there. I'll have to be creative to reach that 155 goal with ya. Good Luck. :clap Sue/HH

Sly
06-03-2005, 19:49
Let me find a scale where I can weigh myself. As soon as I do, I'll contact Youngblood and begin in earnest. I'd like to lose 20 lbs. by September.

Imagine what that fat/***** looks like in real life, out of your body? Ugh!

Alligator
06-03-2005, 20:17
Weighing in at 189. Aiming to lose 15 lbs.

Footslogger
06-03-2005, 23:26
Hey Mogli ...add me to the list. OK ??

'Slogger

MOWGLI
06-04-2005, 07:08
Hey Mogli ...add me to the list. OK ??

'Slogger

Will do. Anyone else?

Frosty
06-04-2005, 08:46
Will do. Anyone else?Are you making a chart? Could you lower my start weight please? To 253? Evidently I weigh a few pounds less in the morning.

Hammock Hanger
06-04-2005, 10:27
Are you making a chart? Could you lower my start weight please? To 253? Evidently I weigh a few pounds less in the morning.
:bse :bse :bse Us, girls always know that you take your weight in the Morning, before you eat or drink and after your "consitutional", bare naked and before you shower. How the hell do you think I got that stealth 178!! :banana Sue/HH

Blister
06-04-2005, 11:15
I quit my job last monday and have lost 6 pounds since! By the time I get to the Gathering in October I hope to be a hottie! Fortunatley I am hiking for the summer. You can start me in at 164 lbs. Goal - no beer belly, great legs and a man to use and abuse. :dance

Blister
06-04-2005, 11:21
I'm not sure who should get the award for looking GREAT at trail days, either Fanny Pack who has lost an obscene amount of weight and/or L Wolf - looking the best I have seen him in years (with the exception of Saturday night at trail days). Both you boys are doing GREAT! :clap

neo
06-04-2005, 12:03
I quit my job last monday and have lost 6 pounds since! By the time I get to the Gathering in October I hope to be a hottie! Fortunatley I am hiking for the summer. You can start me in at 164 lbs. Goal - no beer belly, great legs and a man to use and abuse. :dance

happy hiking and being a hottie:cool: neo

neo
06-04-2005, 12:05
you girls are to honest:) my wife will not even tell me her actual wieght,she just says she wants to lose 25 lbs:cool: neo

flyfisher
06-04-2005, 14:50
Looks like a lot of people have been losing weight this spring.

On the first of March, I retired from the Air Force, and had gained 9 pounds in the previous 3 weeks to an alltime high weight of 217 pounds. I began a modified Adkins diet that day, went on a hike of about 200 miles the first week of April, and I've been doing South Beach Diet since mid April.

My weight yesterday AM was 172, for a weight loss of 45 pounds. (My height is 6 foot even.) I have a goal of 5 more pounds weight loss. By the time I reach that goal, I will have lost 50 pounds and 50/217=23 percent of my starting weight.

Another way to measure this is that my waist size has dropped from 40 plus to about 33.

I can't wait to get back out on the trail to see how this affects my trail stamina.

shrimp
06-04-2005, 20:42
Well, I lost about 20lbs in the past 1.5 years, but I'd like to drop from 167 to 150 or so before my thru next spring. Being 5'4", I am still overweight, even though it's not really that heavy... I don't want to be less than 145 by the time I start (maybe I can lose another 15 or so on there, but any less than 125 would probably be dangerous)

MOWGLI
06-06-2005, 09:58
OK, as of this morning, Monday June 6, we have 16 (count 'em!) folks who have joined the challenge. Youngblood updated the spreadsheet to add Blister Sister, so we're up to date. We're still waiting on Sly's starting weight. Go to the first post in the thread to view the attached PDF file.

Please provide your updates on Wednesday - preferably via PM to either me or Youngblood.

As of yesterday, I gained a couple of pounds, but believe it or not, I've been pretty good. I have way cut back on candy, baked good & ice cream. Those three things kill me - both literally and figuratively! I'll have to make some time for a hike between now and Wednesday afternoon.

Bad Ass Turtle
06-06-2005, 10:16
Mowgli --

It's probably water weight . . .

That comes off fast.

B A Turtle

MOWGLI
06-06-2005, 10:26
Mowgli --

It's probably water weight . . .

That comes off fast.

B A Turtle

I feel so bloated. :D

Stoker53
06-06-2005, 11:34
You can loose 1/2 LB/day by staying on WB.net 24/7 ........and not eating.

Who needs food when I can read lawyer jokes, political jabs at Hillary, order t shirts/hats and listen to guys, that are 40 lbs over weight, talk about week long pack trips with a pack that weighs 20 lbs incl food/water.

CYBER WEIGHT LOSS BABY......LMAO:banana

Alligator
06-06-2005, 11:57
Well, this being under the microscope has introduced new caution to my eating. I didn't consider eating that out of the blue cherry pie my wife brought home last night.

Well, I put it off until just after midnight:o. My trail name was close to being BG, Baked Goods.

The good thing in the chips department is that they changed the formula for Doritoes. Not nearly as good.

Actually, I packed some crunchy veggies to munch on today. I did go to the gym on Friday and this morning. Will go at least one more day before weighing in.

I hope that water thing works out 'cause I drank three six packs this weekend;). Darn guests showing up... I did get a little painting out of him though.

Kerosene
06-06-2005, 12:30
I lost 7+ pounds (on a 172-pound frame) after hiking 140 miles last week. I wouldn't weigh anything at the end of a thru-hike.

MOWGLI
06-06-2005, 12:39
I lost 7+ pounds (on a 172-pound frame) after hiking 140 miles last week. I wouldn't weigh anything at the end of a thru-hike.

Youngblood say, "the only thing that kept us from starving on our hike was reaching Katahdin!" There's some truth in that.

Dances with Mice
06-06-2005, 13:05
http://theguinnessdiet.blogspot.com/2005/05/so-joke-turned-real.html

The Guiness Diet. Lose weight by drinking all the Guiness Stout you want.

Alligator
06-06-2005, 13:18
Two of my indulgences were Guinnesses, maybe that will help too...

2XL
06-07-2005, 08:57
I think I am the heavyweight of the group tipping the scales at 290. I don't have a huge beer belly or a lot of junk in the trunk, I'm just big and 6'4". Hence my name 2XL.
I put on about 45 lbs last year while my wife was pregnant with our first, she lost her baby weight and I didn't. I've already lost 13 lbs since April, when I went vegetarian.

It's not about being the fastest hiker, it's that you're out there doing it.

Hammock Hanger
06-07-2005, 09:22
I think I am the heavyweight of the group tipping the scales at 290. I don't have a huge beer belly or a lot of junk in the trunk, I'm just big and 6'4". Hence my name 2XL.
I put on about 45 lbs last year while my wife was pregnant with our first, she lost her baby weight and I didn't. I've already lost 13 lbs since April, when I went vegetarian.

It's not about being the fastest hiker, it's that you're out there doing it.
Iwent veggie years ago and lost 50 pounds right away. Kept 40 of it off for 10 years. Then I re-entered the world of meat!! I gained 45 pounds and have kept most of it on ever since. Why not go back to be a veghead??? It's like quitting smoking, I know it would be good for me but I just LOVE my meat. pork, poultry... Think I need to go eat this post is making me hungry. :p Sue/HH

Footslogger
06-07-2005, 10:19
It's like quitting smoking, I know it would be good for me but I just LOVE my meat. pork, poultry... Sue/HH========================================
HH ...you hit the nail on the head there. Easy to talk about but dang it, I like all that stuff. For me it's all about portion size. Eyes are always bigger than my stomach and I was raised in the generation who were guilted into "eating everything on your plate". Lately BadAss Turtle and I have been preparing meals with the portion sizes that we used to eat, cutting that in half and then splitting the rest. Seems to be helping and makes for great leftovers. Course, then I still feel a bit hungry after a meal and rationalize having some dessert. I just can't win !!

'Slogger

Hammock Hanger
06-07-2005, 10:53
========================================
HH ...you hit the nail on the head there. Easy to talk about but dang it, I like all that stuff. For me it's all about portion size. Eyes are always bigger than my stomach and I was raised in the generation who were guilted into "eating everything on your plate".
Oh yeah, don't ya know there are children starving in Afganastain... Heard it often.

==Lately BadAss Turtle and I have been preparing meals with the portion sizes that we used to eat, cutting that in half and then splitting the rest. Seems to be helping and makes for great leftovers. Course, then I still feel a bit hungry after a meal and rationalize having some dessert. I just can't win !!
'Slogger
Jed and I ask them to bring a "To Go" carton when they bring the meal. We immediately take half or so and box it up. It makes a great lunch the next day. I too have been making smaller amounts when I cook so that we are not tempted to have more. There are times when we both know we would have like seconds but do not really need it. It is mind over belly. It was so much easier on the TRAIL.:p

MOWGLI
06-08-2005, 09:00
OK folks. It's Wednesday. Please weigh yourselves and either send me a PM or post it here.

Younglbood weighed in at 216.5, which is 7 pounds less than last week! Good job Dave! I weighed in at 231.4, which is exactly 1 pound less than last week.

Well anyway... progress not perfection. That's my motto.

Footslogger
06-08-2005, 09:07
OK guys ...the Footslogger tips the scale this morning at 179.5lbs. That's only a half pound, but I did just have breakfast. Forgot to weigh myself before I ate.

'Slogger

Hammock Hanger
06-08-2005, 09:30
175 down 3 :clap Sue/HH

Frosty
06-08-2005, 10:26
OK guys ...the Footslogger tips the scale this morning at 179.5lbs. That's only a half pound, but I did just have breakfast. Forgot to weigh myself before I ate.

'SloggerI'd like to feel sorry for you, man, but I went UP 3.5 pounds. Is that even possible? And I weighed myself BEFORE breakfast.

Lone Wolf
06-08-2005, 10:32
It's easy kids. Increase your exercise and decrease the s**t you shove in your pie hole. Diets don't work. Changing your lifestyle does.

MOWGLI
06-08-2005, 10:35
It's easy kids. Increase your exercise and decrease the s**t you shove in your pie hole. Diets don't work. Changing your lifestyle does.

It may be simple, but it ain't easy!

Footslogger
06-08-2005, 10:42
It's also a lot easier to talk when you're looking back ...x number of pounds lighter, having had a life altering experience that forced you to lose the weight.

Just ask anyone who's lost a considerable amount of weight before, other than as a result of illness, and they'll pretty much all tell you that "in retrospect" it wasn't that hard.

Memory is selective ...

'Slogger

minnesotasmith
06-08-2005, 10:55
1) her: "Does this dress make me look fat?"

me: "No, it makes you look stupid."

her: "What!?!"

me: "You're stupid if you think I'm gonna answer that question...and if you have to ask, the answer is probably 'yes'."

her: "***hole!"

me: "Get out of here, fatty."

her: (laughs hysterically, goes to change)
==================================

2) What NOT to say to a woman:

Woman: "Does this dress make me look fat?"

Man: "Yeah. But it's not like anything else wouldn't."
==================================

3) Woman: "Does this dress make me look fat?

Man: "That's not a fair question, I saw you before you put it on."
=================================

4) Woman: "Does this dress make my butt look fat?"

Man: "No, it's all the butter and ice cream you eat that does that."

(sleeps on couch that night, and probably the next...)
===============================

5) Classic song about someone (a man) being incredibly overweight (to the tune of "I'm Bad" by Michael Jackson):

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/PrintLyrics?OpenForm&ParentUnid=4335CC330C90ED7F4825690E0014D3CB

Fat
------Weird Al Yankovic

"Your butt is wide
well mine is too
Just watch your mouth
or I'll sit on you
The Word is out better treat me right
cause I'm the king of cellulite
Ham on, ham on,ham on whole wheat all right

My zippers bust my buckles break
I'm too much man for you to take
The pavement cracks when I fall down
I've got more chins than chinatown

Well I never use the phone booth
And I've never seen my toes
When I'm goin' to the movies
I take up seven rows

'Cause I'm fat, I'm fat shamu
(really,really fat)
You know I'm fat you know it
(really, really fat)
You know I'm fat you know it you know
(really fat)
And my shadow weighs a forty two pounds
let me tell you once again who's fat

If you see me comin' your way
better give me plenty o' space
If I tell you that I'm hungry
then won't you feed my face

'Cause know I'm fat,I'm fat come on
(really,really fat)
I'm fat you know it you know
(really fat)
You know ,you know,come on
(really really fat)
ooh,woo when i sit around the house
i really sit around the house

When you're only havin' seconds,
I'm havin' twenty-thirds.
When I go to get my shoe shined,
I hafta take their word.

You know I'm fat, I'm fat shamu
(really,really fat)
I'm fat you know it you know
(really fat)
You know ,you know,come on
(really really fat)
All by myself I'm a crowd
Let me tell you once again

You know I'm huge, I'm fat, you know it
(Fat, fat, really really fat)
You know I'm fat, you know, hoo
You know I'm fat, I'm fat, you know it, you know
And the whole world knows I'm fat and I'm proud
Just tell me once again who's fat"

Mike
06-08-2005, 11:16
weighed in this morning at 230. up 3 pounds.

too much fast food this week.

Alligator
06-08-2005, 11:34
You want in MS, you could lose a few pounds off your fat head:D.

minnesotasmith
06-08-2005, 12:20
I have body weight issues of my own, yes, but I'm handling them relatively privately. I will say that I've gotten close to halfway to where I believe I need to be over the past year, largely due to my hiking. I simply don't feel that a public discussion of how much I weigh this week vs. last week is useful to me; if it is to other people, more power to them.

Alligator
06-08-2005, 12:43
Awww come on MS, the ladies were willing to pony up. I think in all honesty that the support would do you some good. Heck, you might even make a few friends. I'll even take the first step. I'm sorry I called you a fathead:o. You did me one better with your classy response.

Hammock Hanger
06-08-2005, 12:48
weighed in this morning at 230. up 3 pounds.

too much fast food this week.Hey Mike, I guess you didn't see me sneak into your room last night and give you those 3 pounds... Man was I glad to pass them on to someone else!!:bse

Sue

minnesotasmith
06-08-2005, 14:16
Accepted. Hope you enjoyed the humor I posted earlier here.

Alligator
06-08-2005, 14:34
Appropriate use of humor will make you friends MS. Best of luck and keep 'em smiling!

Alligator
06-08-2005, 19:04
Weighing in at 186.5. Don't be discouraged if there was an increase this week, it's only been one week. Just make a committment to put in one extra exercise event this week. Take a long walk, a bike ride, a paddle, a pickup game of hoops, or wrestle with the spouse for an hour:eek: .

MOWGLI
06-08-2005, 19:06
OK, I just removed the attachment, only to realize that I can't create a PDF from home. Anyway, I'm still missing weights for 8 folks. SO... if you're "in" but haven't reported your weight yet, you have until the morning. At 9 AM I'm gonna upload a new PDF file containing updated weights.

Youngblood
06-08-2005, 21:56
Take a look at this site and take the test, it will enlighten you: http://hin.nhlbi.nih.gov/portion/index.htm .

Hammock Hanger
06-08-2005, 22:29
Take a look at this site and take the test, it will enlighten you: http://hin.nhlbi.nih.gov/portion/index.htm .that was pretty interesting... want to biggie that oder!!!:(

Mike
06-09-2005, 10:33
Hey Mike, I guess you didn't see me sneak into your room last night and give you those 3 pounds... Man was I glad to pass them on to someone else!!:bse

Sue

Dang, I should have suspected that. Why dont I think of these things. I guess I will have to start locking up the house at night. Now I have to think of who I will bless with the extra girth for next week. Kind of like the token rock that gets hidden in someones pack and over time gets passed from person to person...

My 3lb gain was from a very poor diet (while my wife was away for a few days) and not exercising while recouperating from a recent 5 day trip in the smokies. But that is no excuse. Bag lunches and exercise routine have started over today.

Hammock Hanger
06-15-2005, 10:24
Well it is Wednesday... I have no access to a scale so I can not weigh in, guess you'll have to use last weeks weight. I know I lost at least 5 pounds from fluid loss sweating to death on the BMT, but I am quickly putting it back in. Hope to have a scale access by next week to see the real weight loss!! Good luck all hope your numbers are down. If not go for a long hike in 90+ degrees with 200% humidity! :) Sue/HH

Youngblood
06-15-2005, 10:34
Sue... will just skip your weigh-in this week, no problem. I messed up and put on a pound or so this week, it was the pancake breakfast in Hot Springs. Did you have any trouble finding the trail?

Dave

Hammock Hanger
06-15-2005, 10:47
I had no problem on the trail. there were a few spots that were questionable but with the notes I was A-OK. :) Sue/HH

Mike
06-15-2005, 11:35
I weighed in this morning at 225, down 5 lbs! :jump

Hammock Hanger
06-15-2005, 16:09
:) Yeah, "weigh" to go...

Footslogger
06-15-2005, 16:25
Today's our wedding anniversary and we're headed out to a fancy restaurant (well ...fancy by Laramie standards) to gorge ourselves. Not gonna be a pretty sight on the scales in the morning. I oughta turn in my weight as of about 6 PM tonight.

'Slogger

Mags
06-15-2005, 16:28
Today's our wedding anniversary and we're headed out to a fancy restaurant (well ...fancy by Laramie standards) to gorge ourselves. Not gonna be a pretty sight on the scales in the morning. I oughta turn in my weight as of about 6 PM tonight.

'Slogger

Congrats! That is worth cheating on your diet for! :)

Which restaraunt in Laramie? Figure it isn't the Appleby's. :D

Rockjock
06-15-2005, 16:30
OK, I just removed the attachment, only to realize that I can't create a PDF from home. Anyway, I'm still missing weights for 8 folks. SO... if you're "in" but haven't reported your weight yet, you have until the morning. At 9 AM I'm gonna upload a new PDF file containing updated weights.
Recently back from the dead would like to join in on the "fun". I currently need to drop at least 25lbs from 200-175 and possibly more. This kind of accountability is really cool.

Footslogger
06-15-2005, 16:35
Congrats! That is worth cheating on your diet for! :)

Which restaraunt in Laramie? Figure it isn't the Appleby's. :D====================================
Thanks man ...and yeah, Appelby's IS pretty upscale for Laramie. But we're headed out to the "Cavalryman". Just south of town on Rt 130.

But that does bring a funny story to mind. Guess over the years this restaurant is sometimes referred to as the "Calvaryman". In an effort to get people to pronounce the name correctly that if you look up "Calvaryman" in the local phone book there is a listing that says ..."See Cavalryman".

'Slogger

Youngblood
06-15-2005, 16:38
Recently back from the dead would like to join in on the "fun". I currently need to drop at least 25lbs from 200-175 and possibly more. This kind of accountability is really cool.Naw, it's never too late. What weight are you at?

Youngblood

Rockjock
06-15-2005, 16:44
Thanks I have been out of commission for 2 months and have balloned to a record 200lbs.

Alligator
06-15-2005, 17:43
Weighing in at 183.

Youngblood
06-15-2005, 18:51
Thanks I have been out of commission for 2 months and have balloned to a record 200lbs.
Yeah, I know what you mean... but from where I'm at 200 doesn't look so bad. :)

Frosty
06-15-2005, 18:59
Yeah, I know what you mean... but from where I'm at 200 doesn't look so bad. :)I haven't been 200 since 1970....

MedicineMan
06-15-2005, 23:38
1. say goodbye to fast food...we all know how many fat-grams are in a
BigMac or Whopper
2. say hello to negatively caloric foods such as cruciferous veggies in MASS,
you can eat a ton (almost literally
of carrots,cabbage,etc. and get no fat-grams, many AO's and almost
achieve negative calories (foods that cost more calories to process
than they give you, others are celery,tomatoe,onion, etc.
3. say hello to bloaters...8x8oz glasses of water/day is the Minumum you
should do, add 2 glasses before each meal. Another bloater is Metamucil
(get the generic without sugar) use it 30-40mins before a meal,,,,besides
filling the stomach you will reduce cholesterol and decrease chance of
colon cancer
4. say hello to salads with fruit, just dont do the normal typical dressings
5. say goodbye to all softdrinks unless they are diet and even limit these
6. say hello to excercise....walking (normal not hiking) will burn 100-120
calories in 30 minutes, do this 300 days/year and your looking at 5 to
7 pounds of fat loss
7. say goodbye to desserts but treat yourself every 2 weeks to something
really nasty,,,,if you've gone 2 weeks without something like chocolate
cake, it will be something special
8. say goodbye to 3 meals a day, go for 5-8 meals per day....remember
a body that thinks it is being starved will store all it can as fat
9. hug the baked potato, a large baked potato will have 100-150 cals. before
anything is added, the protein in the potato is more bioavailable than that
in beef, and two large baked potatos are bloaters, just be selective in
what you add---tabasco, the non-fat butter sprays, H57 sauze, etc.
10. make love to red kidney beans (48cents/can wallyworld), recently shown
to have the highest concentrations of AO's in the vegetable world, high
in pro, high in fiber, no fat....accept the gas :)
11. carry a backpack (in the normal world, not just on the trail) then carry
food with you, when your co-workers are headed out for fast food then
you reach in the backpack and pull out an apple
12. become Johnny appleseed, and also put in oranges and pears in that
backpack
13. remember it is almost impossible (for most people) to excercise away poor
eating
habbits, a 2 mile swim may burn 800 calories for someone who swims a lot
so you would have to swim many a mile to get rid of just one bigMac
14. think to yourself each time you reach into the fridge for something how
much activity that something will cost you....i'll grab a pear over the
Hershey bar knowing i wont have to walk/hike/swim as far to get rid of it
15. dont even think of Adkins or any quick schemes. I've seen several
people develop severe problems on Adkins, just remember the chemical
food groups and the amt. of calories they contain. Also remember that
it is easier to store fat as fat, harder to store CHO or PRO as fat. Dont
overdue protein...sure hikers on long distance hikes need to replace and
rebuild much damaged fiber but common living necessitates generally for
an average sized man the protein found in ONE egg white.
16. your weapons in the war on weight are veggies,fruits, and water

my 0.2 worth

Hammock Hanger
06-16-2005, 02:32
... I had a ckicken taco at Erwin Burrito today, just couldn't resist. I'm having breakfast at Ms Janet's in the morning... and I was doing so well. -- But then it is on to camp and camp food...

MOWGLI
06-16-2005, 07:37
... I had a ckicken taco at Erwin Burrito today, just couldn't resist. I'm having breakfast at Ms Janet's in the morning... and I was doing so well. -- But then it is on to camp and camp food...

Despite a 14-mile backpack and eating relatively well, I weighed in at 232.8 yesterday. I believe that's up a pound. Its pretty simple - I have to eat better and I have to excercise more. I had a wee bit of candy from the Mast General Store in Valle Cruces last weekend- and a couple of Dr. Enufs while in Roan Mountain. Bad boy!!!

Funny thing is, I'm 229.2 this morning??? Go figure. Youngblood - please keep me listed at the original 232.8 that I sent you.

I'll post the new spreadsheet when I get to the office.

Alligator
06-16-2005, 09:54
14. think to yourself each time you reach into the fridge for something how
much activity that something will cost you....i'll grab a pear over the
Hershey bar knowing i wont have to walk/hike/swim as far to get rid of it

my 0.2 worth
I often think of this one. My favorite fast sweet is a Hostess pie. Now Little Debbies has them for $0.50. I didn't give them much thought for a long time until someone referred to them as fried pies. At ~400 calories a pop, that's about half of my workout on the elliptical machine, and nearly my entire workout on the treadmill or the bike. At least by the readings on the machines. So, think about how much that 5 minutes of enjoyment costs.

And don't even have "bad" food available in the house. If you must, walk or ride down to the store to get that fix, and take the long route!

Last, keep at it. Even if you are not making gains, keep giving thought to the choices that you are making. We're all hikers, we can hike 10-20 miles a day on average, how about a mile or two after dinner?

Nightwalker
06-16-2005, 23:51
Do you think folks should PM me with their starting weights so we don't clutter up this thread, or should public disclosure be the rule?
Not fair, I tell you! I've lost 40 lbs this year, and I'm stuck! I wish y'all would've started this back in January when I was working so hard on the diet thang.

The bad news? Even though I've lost 40, I still need to lose 60 more. That's disgusting. It also probably explains my foot issues when hiking or jogging.

Alligator
06-17-2005, 11:52
Bump. PDF update?

MOWGLI
06-17-2005, 12:04
Bump. PDF update?

Consider it done!

MOWGLI
06-22-2005, 07:11
228.2! Finally - a little progress! Working on the Big Dig yesterday didn't hurt any.

neo
06-22-2005, 07:34
i have not wieghed yet,my new wife haas me eating healthier now,kicking the junk food habit:cool: neo

gsingjane
06-22-2005, 08:48
Hi, I hope it is okay to chime in on this thread, I noticed something really interesting last week on our way back from a day hike about food and calories! So my six year old had come on the hike with me, and she wanted to stop at Mickey D's... okay... and I was really pretty impressed, they had a nice selection of salads and even showed the calorie and fat counts of their foods. I had a chicken caesar salad with a soda and my daughter had a Happy Meal with apple rings and a milk. The bill was a bit over $9, fair enough (the salad really was pretty good!). But what I noticed was that this same restaurant was selling two Big Mac's for $3!! So in other words, it was vastly cheaper to go the high-calorie, high-fat, low-nutrition route than it was to eat healthily. Isn't that a silly world? You need to pay MORE to get FEWER calories?

Jane in CT

Rockjock
06-22-2005, 08:53
The bill was a bit over $9, fair enough (the salad really was pretty good!). But what I noticed was that this same restaurant was selling two Big Mac's for $3!! So in other words, it was vastly cheaper to go the high-calorie, high-fat, low-nutrition route than it was to eat healthily. Isn't that a silly world? You need to pay MORE to get FEWER calories?................Jane in CT
Pretty Ironic but look at what you pay to eat organic rather than pesticide laden vegetables, or steroidal meat you always pay more for "less". But I'll take the less :)

Anyway chiming in at 199.5

Ford Prefect
06-22-2005, 09:24
OK ... put me in at 282 as a starting spot ... love to hit 200 ....

FP

Youngblood
06-22-2005, 10:16
OK ... put me in at 282 as a starting spot ... love to hit 200 ....

FPGot it, I think MowGli will update the pdf file on friday mornings with updates turned in through thursday of that week.

Youngblood

Frosty
06-22-2005, 11:56
228.2! Finally - a little progress! Working on the Big Dig yesterday didn't hurt any.253.

Sort of progress - I'm back down to my initial weigh-in on Day One :)

MOWGLI
06-22-2005, 12:02

Sort of progress - I'm back down to my initial weigh-in on Day One :)

My motto is progress - not perfection. Simply watching my weight and what I eat is MAJOR progress for me.

Footslogger
06-22-2005, 12:07
Simply watching my weight and what I eat is MAJOR progress for me.===============================================
Watching what I eat and watching my weight have turned out to be two totally different concepts. I watch EVERY bite that I eat but the problem is that I have trouble pushing back at times.

But you're correct ...being more aware of my weight does have an impact on my ability to make progress.

'Slogger

MOWGLI
06-22-2005, 12:11
===============================================
Watching what I eat and watching my weight have turned out to be two totally different concepts. I watch EVERY bite that I eat but the problem is that I have trouble pushing back at times.

But you're correct ...being more aware of my weight does have an impact on my ability to make progress.

'Slogger

I hear ya 'Slogger! For me, it's often as simple as making my own lunch - which I'm eating right now. When I make my own lunch, not only does it save me money (which makes my wife happy), but I tend to eat better. I try and pack fruits and sometimes salad in my lunch. SO... for the forseeable future, I hope to keep making my lunch each day. I also bought a 2.5 gallon jug of water - which I'm working on.

Footslogger
06-22-2005, 12:21
When I make my own lunch, not only does it save me money (which makes my wife happy), but I tend to eat better. I try and pack fruits and sometimes salad in my lunch.======================================
Lunches aren't the issue for me ...been packing my own lunch for over a decade and generally put together a pretty healthy sampling of stuff. It's the dinners that get me. Tough to say NO to those extra pieces of pizza, followed by a couple hours of non-movement in the easy chair watching TV. Good news though is that my wife (BadAss Turtle - AT 2001) is also a hiker and concerned about her weight. So lately we've been (she's been really) experimenting with some "cooking light" recipes that sooner or later are bound to pay off. Lot's of veggies, fish and foul and low fat oils. Can't seem to give up my brewskies though ...but I have cut over to the low carb varieties. The key for me (us) is "all the above" plus more and regular exercise. With the warmer weather now here in the west we'll be getting out more.

Energy flows in the direction of thought ...and I'm thinking a lot about losing weight lately !!

'Slogger

Mike
06-22-2005, 13:28
No change this week. I remain at 225.

Mike

2XL
06-22-2005, 15:47
Down another 2 lbs. Yesterday I checked after working outside in the heat and I was down 6 lbs. this morning 4 of them were back. That's alot of water.

Rockjock
06-22-2005, 16:10
Can't seem to give up my brewskies though ...but I have cut over to the low carb varieties.
'Slogger
I wish they would make a dark low carb variety but I suppose that is a contradiction in terms. :(

Footslogger
06-22-2005, 16:11
I wish they would make a dark low carb variety but I suppose that is a contradiction in terms. :(=============================
Man ...sign me up if they ever do !!

'Slogger

Alligator
06-23-2005, 08:51
No movement this week, 183.

Doctari
06-23-2005, 09:14
At first I was so disapointed, about 3 days after we started I again got to a scale, according to it I had gained 3 Lbs, AAARRRRGGGG! But then I got to the scale I usually use (different hospitals) & had actually lost about 1 Lb. As of last night around 2:00 AM I was down 5 Lbs. Maybe a little less, I had forgotten my keys, they weigh (probably) a Pound or so.
Thanks, it's nice to be doing this with suport.

What I have done:
No soda (well, an occasional diet)
No snacking when I'm bored.
Eat smaller portions, more times a day: about the same amount of "real" food, but I am less likely to snack now.
I'm working on doing more walking, but due to working almost 80 hrs a week that is a little bit of a problem. I am parking as far out in the parking lot at work as possible, so an additional 1/2 mile per shift.

Usually by next weekend I'm in rehersal for the Renaissance fest, so major excersize then, however I most likely won't be doing that this year. Have to make up for that some way.
Doctari.

Alligator
06-23-2005, 09:28
Usually by next weekend I'm in rehersal for the Renaissance fest, so major excersize then, however I most likely won't be doing that this year. Have to make up for that some way.
Doctari.
Wear your armor to work you won't need rubber gloves!:jump

Maybe skip the elevators? Stairs aren't very obvious though in hospitals.

Youngblood
06-23-2005, 09:35
At first I was so disapointed, about 3 days after we started I again got to a scale, according to it I had gained 3 Lbs, AAARRRRGGGG! But then I got to the scale I usually use (different hospitals) & had actually lost about 1 Lb. As of last night around 2:00 AM I was down 5 Lbs. Maybe a little less, I had forgotten my keys, they weigh (probably) a Pound or so.
Thanks, it's nice to be doing this with suport.

What I have done:
No soda (well, an occasional diet)
No snacking when I'm bored.
Eat smaller portions, more times a day: about the same amount of "real" food, but I am less likely to snack now.
I'm working on doing more walking, but due to working almost 80 hrs a week that is a little bit of a problem. I am parking as far out in the parking lot at work as possible, so an additional 1/2 mile per shift.

Doctari.Doctari... does that put you at 195 for this weeks weigh-in?

Youngblood

Goon
06-23-2005, 09:47
Eat smaller portions, more times a day: about the same amount of "real" food, but I am less likely to snack now.#1 rule at my house: "If I don't buy it, I can't eat it". I've accepted the fact that I don't have the self control to not eat chips, crackers, cookies, etc so you won't find them anywhere near me.

A couple of low calorie snacks that I do keep around: dill pickles and sugar free popsicles.

If I've been really good and want a dessert I take a slice of light wheat bread, spray on some of that no-calorie butter, spoon on chopped peaches or applesauce, sprinkle on splenda and cinnamon. Broil until hot and the bread edges start to brown. "poor mans cobbler".

Doctari
06-23-2005, 09:59
Doctari... does that put you at 195 for this weeks weigh-in?

Youngblood

I think nearly so. No scale at home, so weight with clothing 203 less 8 lbs clothing &: leatherman, cell phone, work keys (drug box, handcuff, leather restraints x2, station, etc.) so, yea, 195. Only 35(ish) to go for my "happy weight".

Doctari.

>Alligator<
Quote:

>Wear your armor to work you won't need rubber gloves!<

I do believe that would help, 2 problems tho, I have no armor, & if I did most weigh in at around 100 Lbs, egad.

>Maybe skip the elevators? Stairs aren't very obvious though in hospitals.<

I actually do take the stairs when avalable, but as you say, sometimes they arn't obvious. And, many are one way, you can get out, but not in.

Doctari.

hiker5
06-23-2005, 11:32
#1 rule at my house: "If I don't buy it, I can't eat it". I've accepted the fact that I don't have the self control to not eat chips, crackers, cookies, etc so you won't find them anywhere near me.

Good point. I am an advocate of using this method. You only have to have the will power while you are at the grocery store, and you can stack the odds in your favor by not shopping hungery and making a shopping list.

Unfortunatly, after I got married I found that my wife didn't subscribe to the same idea. There was always ice cream, cookies, and potato chips in the apartment. And if its in the kitchen, I'm going to eat it. Thats what its there for after all. She on the other hand has always had incredible metabolism. She would eat more than some of my friends (guys) with very little effect and no regular exercise. And now that her metabolism seems to be slowing a little bit, her appitite has adjusted accordingly. If only it were so easy for the rest of us.

We've comprimised on what we keep in the fridge and pantry, and I'm slowly starting to lose the extra weight that I've added since the wedding. Hopefully that will continue and then I can start to work on the extra weight I had before the wedding. :D

wacocelt
06-23-2005, 11:38
I started this year at a stout 210lbs, I'm now at a fit and trim 175. Now the challenge is to keep it from rushing back when I stop hiking, bleh!

Nightwalker
06-24-2005, 03:03
228.2! Finally - a little progress! Working on the Big Dig yesterday didn't hurt any.
Good goin', old boy. :D

I'm at 238 today. 5 pounds less than 2 weeks ago.

I'm going out for 5 days on the Bartram Trail next week, which should be good for a couple more.

MOWGLI
06-24-2005, 10:31
OK - the new spreadsheet has been posted. Thanks for sending in your weights. I'll be posting this Friday mornings from now on. Keep up the good work!

I see a definite downward trend on the graph. My mantra this week has been - visualize svelte. :D That replaces my regular mantra - Never leave town without cheese!

Footslogger
06-24-2005, 11:01
I see a definite downward trend on the graph. ===========================================

Ya know, if I hold the chart a little crooked I can see that too ....in my case, that is !! But hey, lookin at things on the bright side ...at least I'm haven't gained any weight in the past 2 weeks. My mantra for this week is ...focus on the bright side !!

'Slogger

Rockjock
06-29-2005, 13:04
No real change...199lbs this week. Hopefully 35+ miles will help that this weekend. Everyone have a wondurful 4th of July.
RockJock

Footslogger
06-29-2005, 13:13
Woo Hoo ...177. And now for lunch !!

'Slogger

Mike
06-29-2005, 15:20
still at 225

arghhhh

better than gaining though

The Solemates
06-29-2005, 15:41
im not in the weight challenge brackets, in fact i try to gain weight through weightlifting, but I was just gonna say i lost 10 lbs this past month because i was in alaska playing and working hard. in fact, at 197 now, im only 10lbs more than when i finished my thru. id say my ideal weight is 205, but id like to get it up to 215. i was there once.

my hats off to all you guys in this....congratulations and good luck to all.

MOWGLI
06-30-2005, 06:39
I'm down to 225.6 this morning. More importantly, I feel a little better with each passing day. I'm hoping to be down to 220 by the time I hit the Colorado Trail at the end of July.

Youngblood
06-30-2005, 07:56
Good for you Mowgli, I'm not having as much luck but I'm hanging in there. I was at 219 3/4 for yesterdays weigh in.

Youngblood

Nightwalker
06-30-2005, 08:34
im not in the weight challenge brackets, in fact i try to gain weight through weightlifting, but I was just gonna say i lost 10 lbs this past month because i was in alaska playing and working hard. in fact, at 197 now, im only 10lbs more than when i finished my thru. id say my ideal weight is 205, but id like to get it up to 215. i was there once.

my hats off to all you guys in this....congratulations and good luck to all.
How tall are you?

The Solemates
06-30-2005, 08:39
How tall are you?

6'4" why is there something i should know? :-?

MOWGLI
07-01-2005, 09:05
The updated spreadsheet has been attached to post #1 of this thread. Thanks for sending along your numbers.

Hammock Hanger
07-05-2005, 09:26
Hey guys, I don't get much computer time these days. Wanted to say hello. I'm not going down much on the scale but my pant sizes are!!:jump I think the scale is adjusting to the "miscle gain".

I don't care what the scale says if my clothes are getting to big I'm happy.

Hope you are all enjoying your summers. :clap

Sue/HH

Frosty
07-05-2005, 10:01
im not in the weight challenge brackets, in fact i try to gain weight SGT ROCK won't let us threaten each other, but I must admit this post made me thing dark thoughts :)

MOWGLI
07-06-2005, 09:49
OK, this is NOT a misprint. I weighed in this morning at 219.2. Now, to be fair, that is probably a somewhat dehydrated 219.2 since I just finished a 33-mile hike from Waterville Road to Hot Springs yesterday. I did stop at Bob Evans in Johnson City, TN on my way home from the trail last night - and ate a HUGE plate of chicken salad with fruit.

But... something quite strange has happened in the last week. I have simply lost my ravenous appetite. I no longer wake up and walk immediately to the refrigerator. I don't need to snack between meals. I'm content with smaller portions. I know - bizarre, right? I found myself giving a large portion of my homefries to my daughter at the Smoky Mountain Diner in Hot Springs on Sunday morning. Usually nothing would come between me and some taters - not even family!!

I'm hoping this is the real start to a lifestyle change that sticks. I think I can... I think I can...

Youngblood
07-06-2005, 09:55
You're doing great! I was at 219.75 again, a tad more than you... when was the last time you calibrated your scale? :)

Footslogger
07-06-2005, 09:56
But... something quite strange has happened in the last week. I have simply lost my ravenous appetite. I no longer wake up and walk immediately to the refrigerator. I don't need to snack between meals. I'm content with smaller portions.======================================
Well ...if you figure out what caused this sudden change of appetite please share !!

I'm still at 178.5, despite 3 days of non-stop activity (and 20 hours of driving) last weekend in Yellowstone.

'Slogger

Alligator
07-06-2005, 10:18
Sorry for checking out for a while, moved to a new pond. Still haven't run the phone line for the 'puter:(.

Let's see, the one plus for moving has been IT'S A LOT OF FREAKIN' WORK! So many favorite parts, so many sweet memories, like moving the washing machine up the basement stairs alone. And the piano, musn't forget the piano. Ah, the joy.

Missed the gym for two weeks though and ate loads of fast food:o. And a hiking buddy showed up for the 4th. It's a good thing he was there though, as I only drank half the beers in the fridge:eek:. Will weigh in later if I get the line run, or else tomorrow.

Alligator
07-07-2005, 08:40
A little slippage this week, but that just means that I will have to try harder. Weighing in at 184.

MOWGLI
07-08-2005, 11:12
OK, the new spreadsheet is posted. FYI, there are a bunch of folks who haven't sent in weights since week #1. If we don't hear from you next week, y'all wil be dropped from the spreadsheet. No biggee - anyone can join in at any time.

Now for the intrigue... I have caught up to Youngblood, and so we have ourselves a dog fight. This could get interesting.

Bolo
07-08-2005, 11:32
Now for the intrigue... I have caught up to Youngblood, and so we have ourselves a dog fight. This could get interesting.Just when is the cutoff date for this Challenge??
Before and After pictures forthcoming????:clap

-Bolo

Youngblood
07-13-2005, 08:11
Bolo... forgot about your question: it's open. If you want in (or out) just say so.

I did good this week, weighed in at 215.5.

Youngblood

Hammock Hanger
07-13-2005, 12:38
I am down to 172 but I have gained much muscle and lost 2 pant sizes. Sue/HH

MOWGLI
07-13-2005, 12:43
I weighed in at 222.8 this morning. Last week I was pretty badly dehydrated, so that number was a bit phony. Anyway, like HH my clothes are fitting much looser.

Feelin' good, feelin' mean, feelin' like a hikin' machine.

Youngblood
07-13-2005, 15:07
Hammock Hanger and MowGli, you guys are doing great. Keep it up!

Youngblood

Footslogger
07-13-2005, 15:10
Dat gawnit ...I'm back up a half pound. 180 and hoping !!

'Slogger

Ford Prefect
07-14-2005, 10:38
282 ... not much movement. Gotta quit loving the carbs.

MOWGLI
07-14-2005, 10:39
282 ... not much movement. Gotta quit loving the carbs.

I'll never quit "lovin" the carbs. I just gotta quit eatin' 'em. :D Sometimes that is easier said than done!

Alligator
07-14-2005, 11:43
I'm back to 183.

Youngblood
07-20-2005, 08:28
I'm up a little bit to 216.5... pizza did me in. :)

Footslogger
07-20-2005, 08:59
179 ...and that was after breakfast. Down a pound from last week. Yahoo !!

Might be because the wife is back east on the AT hiking Mass and VT and I'm "foraging" rather than eating her good cooking. All things said though, I'd rather be a pound heavier and have her back home. Sure hope she's having a good time on the trail.

Anyone headed out on the AT in Mass and VT over the next month ?? Keep an eye out for 2 hikers named BadAss Turtle and Red. I'll bet their losing more weight than I am !!

'Slogger

MOWGLI
07-20-2005, 13:30
Please put me down for 222.8 - same as last week. I weighed in at 223.6 with my clothes on this morning.

A bit of good news however... I saw Youngblood over the weekend, and he tells me that my Man Boobs are down a cup size. :D Thanks Buddy!

I head to Colorado in the AM, but should be able to update the spreadsheet this week and perhaps next.

Footslogger
07-20-2005, 13:33
[QUOTE=MOWGLI16]A bit of good news however... I saw Youngblood over the weekend, and he tells me that my Man Boobs are down a cup size. :D Thanks Buddy!
======================================
Now there's a REAL friend !! Who else would tell you that ...right ??

'Slogger

Alligator
07-20-2005, 18:32
Weighing in at 181.

Frosty
07-24-2005, 09:59
251 for last Thursday. I waited a couple days because I was sure this was a mistake. HA! I was 253 this morning, so I'm gong with last Thursday's "official" weigh-in :)

The odd thing is that my pants are looser. My wife already moved the button on a pair of hking trunks that were a tad loose last month and now slide down easily.

I will miss the next two weigh-ins because I plan to be hiking, but will check in when I get back, hopefully leaner.

MOWGLI
07-24-2005, 10:23
Hey everybody. I'm out in the land of the fit & trim (Colorado) and don't have the ability to create a PDF file from an Excel spreadsheet, so I can't upload an updated file to the thread until I return on August 4.

Sly
07-24-2005, 11:23
Hey everybody. I'm out in the land of the fit & trim (Colorado) and don't have the ability to create a PDF file from an Excel spreadsheet, so I can't upload an updated file to the thread until I return on August 4.

Have fun on the CT!

Nean
07-25-2005, 00:22
LW you have once again -inspired me. Didn't consider losing weight but decided to change to a heathier lifestyle. Then lost about 15 lbs in the last month, so shooting for 20?! Steel rapped with leather, ouya

Lone Wolf
07-25-2005, 07:18
That's the key Nean, a healthier lifestyle. I let myself go to s**t over a few years then had that mild stroke. WAKE UP CALL! Now it's a no-brainer. I eat the hell out of fresh fruits, veggies, nuts and fish/lean meats. And I run every day. I still drink my beer though. Just not in mass quantities. :D So kids, don't wait for a wake up call. Get healthy now and stay that way for life.

Freighttrain
07-25-2005, 09:22
count me in on this,,,, I just pegd my scales needle at 290!! OUFFAH!! no wonder my back hurts!!

Rockjock
07-25-2005, 15:48
Hi All
Back from a 2 week vacation to the beautiful southwest. Although I managed to do quite a bit of hiking in Zion, Bryce and the Grand Canyon I also managed to visit quite a few buffets in Vegas. Oh well up to 205. Hitting the gym this week and hopefully back to a "normal" eating routine.

Smile
07-25-2005, 16:41
How about a group hike for a couple months, or the whole way in 2006?
Slow start, leave no one behind.
Anybody game?

Youngblood
07-27-2005, 08:21
Frieghttrain, you're on the chart, MowGli will post the update when he gets back. (It is a pdf file in the first post of this thread.)

I weighted in at 216.25 this morning... not much movement.

Youngblood

Footslogger
07-27-2005, 09:02
And in this corner ....weighing in at 180.5 is THE FOOTSLOGGER !!

Alligator
07-27-2005, 20:20
A little slippage this week, 182. It's been so freakin' hot and the DQ was so very excellent!

MOWGLI
07-27-2005, 21:52
219.5 today. I hit the CT/CDT in 12 hours for a 5-day 60-mile hike. I imagine I'll be under 215 when I get back to Vail and the hot tub that awaits me. Yeah, it's a rough life, but somebody has to live it!

Play nice while I'm above treeline. I can see you all from where I'll be hiking. :D

Lone Wolf
07-27-2005, 21:54
119.5 eh? Must be the altitude. Who needs Adkins. I see you edited. :)

MOWGLI
07-27-2005, 22:01
119.5 eh? Must be the altitude. Who needs Adkins. I see you edited. :)

You'd be proud of me LW. The meat is hot of the BBQ. Dinner is served!!

Bolo
07-28-2005, 11:06
Uhmmmmm, Little Bear's gettin' back down to his thru-hike weight...a lean, mean, hikin' machine.

-B

neo
07-29-2005, 21:40
i wieghed 192 last friday,i weighed 187 today:cool: neo

Youngblood
08-03-2005, 13:54
215.75 for me this morning.

Youngblood

Footslogger
08-03-2005, 14:00
178.5 and holding for the Footslogger ...

Hammock Hanger
08-03-2005, 14:24
173.!!! Back home, the frig is close... too close. I had better becareful.

jimmyjob
08-03-2005, 16:51
well i would join in but since the beginning of the year, actually from jan. 1 through mid april i lost 30 lds. i have managed to keep it off and am now pushing toward being in the best shape of my life....

i found success by easing into it...1st stop eating fast food and stop drinking soda (if your beer drinker cut back)...then when i was ready after a while i found a workout program that worked for while still watching what i eat....the key at first if your a 9 to 5 person like me...stay under 1500 calories a day...and when your feeling frisky stay under 1000 calories...then after a while you get use to eating the foods that are low in calories...do the research, i spent a lot of time studying what i was eating...it is always important to have a day every week or two that you eat what ever you want....

i think now i can safely say that i have changed my life habbits not just gone on a diet and that is secret....OR JUST WATCH THE MOVIE "SUPERSIZE ME"...honestly that was my first motivation.....

good luck ya'll....

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-03-2005, 19:00
Can a rotund dinosaur join this challenge? I need to lose about 45 lbs.

I was on a low-carb diet for a year and was about 15 lbs from goal before I had an auto accident last August. Several months in a wheel chair and steroids are not a good combo.

Alligator
08-03-2005, 20:04
Holding at 182.

Youngblood
08-03-2005, 20:14
Can a rotund dinosaur join this challenge? I need to lose about 45 lbs.

I was on a low-carb diet for a year and was about 15 lbs from goal before I had an auto accident last August. Several months in a wheel chair and steroids are not a good combo.
Sure, no problem.

Nean
08-03-2005, 23:46
I've lost 10-15lbs in 6 weeks. No beer, less food= more energy, feel great; 129.5 lbs of man :banana Though it's distributed a bit different, I've not been this light in 5 years. Went on a sunrise jog this morning- Watch out LW!:D

BTW, Supersize Me is a scary movie, yikes

MOWGLI
08-04-2005, 07:26
Back in Tennessee and weighing in this morning at 213.2.

jimmyjob
08-04-2005, 08:26
Supersize Me is quite the eye opener that's why i watch it every now and then just to remind myself of why i don't eat fast food......(except on a rare occation, but never from McDonald's)i'm a buger king man personally!!! :)

Alligator
08-04-2005, 08:27
Hey pople, we can't let Little Bear have all the glory! I see that many of us are posting losses. (Which is a good thing.) Even a few pounds will result in a notch on the belt. I imagine that each of us is giving thought to our food choices, so keep with the good foods and resist the bad. Take an extra second to read the labels, especially serving size. Get some extra exercise in too, it is important and it will make you feel better.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-04-2005, 09:21
I'm going to go back on my Low-Carb (Protein Power) diet today. I lost about 65 lbs over a two year period on this diet before. I'm pushing 200 lbs again and something has to give.

Hammock Hanger
08-04-2005, 09:24
Hope your hike was enjoyable. I had a friend hiking out in CO, HikerBikerBabe did ya happen to run into her?? Sue

Youngblood
08-04-2005, 09:26
You sure you got all those numbers in the right order? :) Way to go... I guess that Colorado air agreed with you.

Rockjock
08-04-2005, 09:57
Well...dropped the Vegas weight back to 201. Now for some progress. I watch what I eat pretty well, tons of veggies but I just can't give up the beer. Will try this week to keep it to one after work and nothing else but water and tea.

MOWGLI
08-04-2005, 10:06
You sure you got all those numbers in the right order? :) Way to go... I guess that Colorado air agreed with you.

Yeah man! I was 209 when we finished our hike on the CT, but some of that was obviously dehydration. I find it almost impossible to stay fully hyrdated (whatever that is) whike backpacking. I seem to have bounced back to a nice weight which is 5 pounds less than when I started the hike.

I suppose its gonna take some doing, but I hope to drop under 200 before the end of the year. That will require me to start going to the gym and continue walking/hiking and eating well. I have a full membership to the YMCA here in Chattanooga, and haven't used it yet. With 9 months remaining, I'm gonna start using it.

Alligator, you are 110% correct about reading the labels. My 15 year old is great about it. It used to piss me off - but now I find it helpful. It certainly helps to have a family that is supportive.

MOWGLI
08-04-2005, 10:22
duplicate post deleted

Youngblood
08-04-2005, 10:25
duplicate post deleted
Hey, new rule... add two pounds to your weight for a duplicate post! :datz

MOWGLI
08-05-2005, 14:06
I had a friend hiking out in CO, HikerBikerBabe did ya happen to run into her?? Sue

Almost, but I stepped aside at the last moment. :D

Actually, I saw only a handful of other hikers, but I did see quite a few Hot Mommas on mountain bikes. Dang, those Colorado folks take their exercise seriously. One dude who was a Trail Runner had run up a 2000' elevation gain over about 5 miles, and had hardly broken a sweat! I wanted to trip him with my Leki poles. :dance

On a more serious note, I just posted the updated spreadsheet to the first post in this thread. Thanks everyone for sending in your numbers. Keep up the great work.

Youngblood
08-10-2005, 08:03
213.75 for me this morning.

Little Bear (aka MowGli) and I have a little side bet on who can get down to a buck ninety nine first. I propose that the winner gets treated to a post hike meal on our next backpacking trip. If that's okay, I'm thinking I will want sausage pizza.

Youngblood

Hammock Hanger
08-10-2005, 08:07
Still 173. It was so much easier when I was living/working at the camp and only got 3 squares a day. Not to mention walking and hiking day after day.

The home life is much harder, especially when everyone wants to take me out to lunch or dinner to hear about my summer. Not that I'm complaining.

YB & M you keep working hard I like watching the "lines on the graph" go down even if they are not mine.

MOWGLI
08-10-2005, 08:12
213.75 for me this morning.

Little Bear (aka MowGli) and I have a little side bet on who can get down to a buck ninety nine first. I propose that the winner gets treated to a post hike meal on our next backpacking trip. If that's okay, I'm thinking I will want sausage pizza.

Youngblood

Holding at 212.2. And I'll have Pepperoni on mine - thank you. Hold the anchovies. :D

Last night I played full court basketball for the first time in years. Although I shot 6 or 7 airballs it was really fun. I think the combo of losing 20 pounds and hiking in Colorado recently allowed me to run up & down the court without feeling like I was gonna die. Good times.

Youngblood
08-10-2005, 08:21
212.2... you're down a pound. Good going, I was expecting that you might regress a tad after your backpacking trip... did you get the box of chocolates I sent to you in celebration of your successful trip.

MOWGLI
08-10-2005, 08:26
212.2... you're down a pound. Good going, I was expecting that you might regress a tad after your backpacking trip... did you get the box of chocolates I sent to you in celebration of your successful trip.

I've been a good boy. Making my lunch every day, and no junk. Well, I did junk out pretty bad on Sunday. Hosted a BBQ at the house for my in-laws. I ate lots of pretzels & sun chips, and had heaping helpings of food. Suzanne says you gotta do that once in a while. I guess shes right.

And the chocolates - I missed them. Please resend. Suzanne likes, er, I mean, I like Godiva. In the heart shaped box. ;)

Love, Mowgli

Rockjock
08-10-2005, 09:54
YB and LB you guys crack me up, always fun to read your posts in the morning.
As for me, 200 this morning, hopefully retreating rapidly. I was able to hit the gym ~3 times this week and did a 11.2 hike RT out to Ace Gap-GSMNP this weekend. Aiming for a short 6.5 miler this upcoming weekend (Chestnut Top to Schollhouse Gap-GSMNP). Have a good week all, and keep losing!!

Rockjock

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-10-2005, 10:57
I'm down to 192 lb this AM. I restarted my low-carb diet so much of that is loss of water weight, but it still feels wonderful to be 6 lbs lighter.

Did a 2.5 mile walk (on a paved bike trail) yesterday and worked out at the gym. (I know 2.5 miles sounds really puny to most of you, but it is something of a workout when you do it with a bum leg and two walking canes.) I'm hoping to get to do some walking on a real trail soon.

Footslogger
08-10-2005, 11:11
Boo Hiss ...back up to 180

'Slogger

Alligator
08-10-2005, 19:37
Finally broke (barely) the 180 mark, 179.75. Won't be checking in next week, I'll be hitting the trail. Let's keep at it--make the right food choices and get outside and exercise. Avoid eating late at night, but if you must, make it the lease dangerous item you can. And don't wash it down with a glass of milk;) .

Youngblood
08-10-2005, 20:47
Have a good trip.

Alligator
08-10-2005, 23:03
Sure will Youngblood. You know, why wait, a fresh hot pepperoni pizza sent to Mowgli's door now...could pay dividends...He's from NY though, better find a decent pizzeria.

Footslogger
08-10-2005, 23:25
And don't wash it down with a glass of milk;) .==========================================
Please ...NOT THAT !! Take away anything but my milk !!

'Slogger

Alligator
08-11-2005, 00:04
==========================================
Please ...NOT THAT !! Take away anything but my milk !!

'SloggerNow don't be a milksop 'Slogger, it's for your own good!

MOWGLI
08-11-2005, 13:05
OK, here's the latest spreadsheet. Seems as if my ability to edit the first post in this thread has been revoked. Keep up the good work - and anyone is still welcome to join.

Footslogger
08-11-2005, 13:41
Now don't be a milksop 'Slogger, it's for your own good!=========================================
Can we at least settle on 2% ??

'Slogger

Youngblood
08-17-2005, 11:38
No change for me this week... still holding at 213.75 lbs.

Hammock Hanger
08-17-2005, 11:43
172 slight change...

Footslogger
08-17-2005, 12:43
I took off my shoes, blew out all my air and thought "light" thoughts ...and I still weighed 180.

'Slogger

wacocelt
08-17-2005, 14:59
I'm down to 155 from 205/210ish.

Youngblood
08-17-2005, 15:02
I'm down to 155 from 205/210ish.I've got those 50 lbs you misplaced... I'll try to get them back to you as soon as I can. :D

Hammock Hanger
08-17-2005, 15:03
I'm down to 155 from 205/210ish.
:) you rock!!!

teachergal
08-17-2005, 16:38
I have been following this thread but haven't weighed in yet - I've lost about 40lbs (multiple times) over the last 6 years and am now looking to lose about another 20-30 ....I have been trying to stay as active as possible - an hour on the treadmill everyday, water aerobics 3 days a week (45 mins each). Once school starts again I'll be down to either water aerobics or treadmill everyday.

The President's Challenge - You're it. Get fit! (http://www.presidentschallenge.org/index.aspx) - I just discovered this -you can sign up, for free, and chart your activity and earn prizes!!!!! Check it out...

I have found that the less sweets/fast food etc.. that I eat the less I want it and when I do 'induldge" it doesn't taste good at all and I don't enjoy it. I do keep a stash of lowfat ice cream treats - Klondike Slim-a-bear, Skinny Cow etc... Also I keep a stash of Lean Cuisine meals on hand so there's always something good for dinner. My schedule - and only having 30 mins (which gets shortened to 20-25 almost everyday) for lunch helps me consume fewer calories - I have a long commute so I pack a nutrious snack for the trip home in my lunch.

Frosty
08-17-2005, 20:41
I was sick for a while - started while backpacking and thought for a while I had giardia - and dropped a lot of weight, but have gained most back and seem to have leveled off at 245. Looking back, perhaps I should have waited until I was down a bit more before going to the doctor....

Ridge
08-17-2005, 21:17
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. Weight has never been a problem. Now, for my PCT hiking husband, thats another story. He thru-hiked the AT in '95 and lost around 35 lbs. put that and some more on in less than a year afterwords. I realize its a vicious cycle and wish all of you luck it getting rid of the extra lbs. I know that hikers have a special problem in that they burn cals like crazy, as well as eat like crazy, when doing some serious hiking. The tough part comes when trying to cut back on the food intake when not hiking. Again, good luck in shedding the weight. hiker-wife

Youngblood
08-17-2005, 22:44
I was sick for a while - started while backpacking and thought for a while I had giardia - and dropped a lot of weight, but have gained most back and seem to have leveled off at 245. Looking back, perhaps I should have waited until I was down a bit more before going to the doctor....
Let's see... I'll have to check the rule book about losing weight while you're sick... you're in luck, looks like its okay. Congratulations:)

All kidding aside, hope you're feeling better.

MOWGLI
08-18-2005, 06:23
Back up a pound to 213.2.

MOWGLI
08-19-2005, 15:19
Here's the latest spreadsheet.

Youngblood
08-24-2005, 09:03
I'm opening this week at 210.75. I have been trying pretty hard to get my new eating and exercise regime in place. So far I am liking it but will like it even more when and if I cross the 210, 200, 190, etc levels. Also, I am starting to notice a positive difference in how I feel and what I can do... not much yet, but a little.

Youngblood

Hammock Hanger
08-24-2005, 13:20
I'm down another pound, 171. Looks like I will do this the same way I did the AT, one foot in front of the other--one pound at a time... Sue

Footslogger
08-24-2005, 14:35
Yee Haa ...Footslogger tips the scale at 179 today !!

Course now I'm headed to eat lunch !!

'Slogger

Alligator
08-24-2005, 15:59
Weighing in at 176.

MOWGLI
08-26-2005, 09:18
Weighing in at 176.

Getting skinny there buddy! The new spreadsheet is posted. I need to get back on the stick.

Alligator
08-26-2005, 13:25
Getting skinny there buddy! The new spreadsheet is posted. I need to get back on the stick.
A week's worth of hiking is very helpful. I wasn't sure I would actually lose any weight, as I like to eat when out. I had a little fun at the Eckville shelter by topping lunch off with 3 Pepsis and a couple of ice cream sandwiches. I rocketed up to the Pinnacle. I even had two beers and the fries in Port Clinton.

I have to say, I'm awfully glad you instituted this. I'm down about two inches in the waist. I'm riding in the MS150 in a couple of weeks too.

Two things that have helped me: lots of exercise and good snacking during the day. This week I grabbed a couple of bags of precut vegetables at the store, like brocolli wokly stuff. I had a mix of carrots, brocolli, and pea pods, a bag of baby carrots, and a bag of sugar peas in the pod. A container of the veggies, a couple pieces of fruit, and a reasonably portioned sized lunch get me through 'til dinner.

Stick with it folks. I know it's tough with all the crap they load on the shelves. Cakes, cookies, pies, chips, etc. There was a time when these things were a rare treat. Now they're ubiquitous. There are too many foods with sugar/corn syrup in them. Everything we eat needs to be screened.

Today I'm going to have to ride up a mountain though, the wife wanted Mexican food last night.

MOWGLI
08-28-2005, 21:10
The President's Challenge - You're it. Get fit! (http://www.presidentschallenge.org/index.aspx) - I just discovered this -you can sign up, for free, and chart your activity and earn prizes!!!!! Check it out...

Thanks TeacherGal. I just signed up.

Rockjock
08-29-2005, 09:40
Thanks TeacherGal. I also have signed up. I did this about 15 years ago when I was in high school and got the award for soccer and basketball. I thought for sure this was a long gone program.

P.S. Mowgli back slid while I was away weighing in at 208. Hopefully some hiking in the GSMNP will take me back to at least 200. Grrrr.

Youngblood
08-31-2005, 06:58
Holding at 210.75.

Hammock Hanger
08-31-2005, 07:54
flat-lining at 171.

Rockjock
08-31-2005, 07:55
Checking in at 202

StarLyte
08-31-2005, 08:00
This should be really interesting. Good luck! -Marsha

Footslogger
09-01-2005, 08:54
A day late and a few pounds short ...the Footslogger weighs in at 179.5.

Not too bad considering I just spent the weekend in HotLanta. Cuz you KNOW that I had to get my share of good old southern bar-b-Q !!

'Slogger

Alligator
09-01-2005, 09:20
Weighing in at 176.5. I too joined in on the president's challenge.

Lone Wolf
09-01-2005, 09:37
A year ago today I was in the hospital for a mild stroke, weighed 247 lbs., had very high blood pressure, cholesterol level around 400 and borderline diabetic. Today I'm around 178 lbs., bp is within normal range, cholesterol under 150. For you folks wanting to loose weight and keep it off, don't wait for a wake-up call like me. Just do it! Change your lifestyle. Eat sensibly and exercise. It's so very simple. Congrats to you folks on the way to good health.