PDA

View Full Version : Which guidebook

attroll
01-15-2013, 00:49
I am planning a thru on the PCT and have a couple different guidebooks for the PCT. I have Yogi’s Handbook and the PCT Data Book. I was also looking at the Postholer Data Book and noticed that the mileages do not correspond with the other two books is way off. My question is; which data books are right?

Sly
01-15-2013, 05:33
It was almost simpler when all you had were the Wilderness Press guides.

Now-a-days I'd just use Yogi's guide and HalfMile's maps. Although not as well marked as the AT, the footpath itself is pretty distinct, and a pleasure to hike. Generally the only problems you'll have is over snow (when you can't see the footpath) and maybe road crossings which is another time the maps will come in handy.

leaftye
01-15-2013, 05:44
Now-a-days I'd just use Yogi's guide and HalfMile's maps.

This, along with a copy of the water report for southern California. I've been told that Halfmile has been maintaining the water report since Asabat passed away on the PCT.

bigcranky
01-15-2013, 09:00
"A man with one clock knows what time it is. A man with two clocks is never sure."

Good luck on your hike, Troll. Sounds great.

Colter
01-15-2013, 09:43
"A man with one clock knows what time it is. A man with two clocks is never sure."

Good luck on your hike, Troll. Sounds great.

I like that answer. All of it. It's going to be difficult to know which set of miles is accurate, and when it comes down to it, it's highly unlikely to matter. Since more people likely depend on Yogi's book, most will consider those mileages to be the "correct" ones.

And have a great hike, Attroll!

postholer.com
01-16-2013, 01:26
For those who don't know, Yogi's book uses Ben Go's PCT data book. They are the same source, so obviously they match. The PCT data book is $9, Yogi's is $40.

The postholer data book matches the mileages on the postholer maps. So if you're using the postholer maps, use the free matching data book (http://postholer.com/PCTDatabook). It is the most extensive data book for the PCT.

If Halfmile had a data book his mileages would be different than the above mentioned, but match his maps.

-postholer

attroll
01-16-2013, 12:07
For those who don't know, Yogi's book uses Ben Go's PCT data book. They are the same source, so obviously they match. The PCT data book is $9, Yogi's is $40.

The postholer data book matches the mileages on the postholer maps. So if you're using the postholer maps, use the free matching data book (http://postholer.com/PCTDatabook). It is the most extensive data book for the PCT.

If Halfmile had a data book his mileages would be different than the above mentioned, but match his maps.

-postholer
Do you mind if I ask where you got your mileage data from?

postholer.com
01-16-2013, 14:16
Do you mind if I ask where you got your mileage data from?

I responded to your email on Jan 13, 3:20 PST answering your questions. Must of ended up in your spam folder! :D

However, here's what I sent you:

The mileages in the postholer data book are calculated from over 314,000 track points. They are calculated the same way any major software package would calculate them.

The error in the postholer data book is at most 2%. Typically, much less. Put another way, given a 10 mile piece of trail you will actually walk ± .2 miles from the stated distance, at most. The above holds true for any length of the trail, with no error at the very beginning or very end of the trail.

-postholer

attroll
01-16-2013, 14:50
I responded to your email on Jan 13, 3:20 PST answering your questions. Must of ended up in your spam folder! :D

However, here's what I sent you:

The mileages in the postholer data book are calculated from over 314,000 track points. They are calculated the same way any major software package would calculate them.

The error in the postholer data book is at most 2%. Typically, much less. Put another way, given a 10 mile piece of trail you will actually walk ± .2 miles from the stated distance, at most. The above holds true for any length of the trail, with no error at the very beginning or very end of the trail.

-postholer
No, it was not in my spam folder but thank you for replying and explaining.

guthook
01-20-2013, 09:57
Troll, if you have a smartphone, drop me a line-- we're working on the Android version of our PCT guide apps, as well as upgrades to the current iPhone ones. I could send you a copy of the app set if you're interested.

The mileage we use is our own mileage, but we fudge the results a tiny bit to make them as close to Halfmile's, Yogi's, and Ben Go's as possible. I find it's easier to use guides if they play nice with each other, but certain guides are updated more frequently than others, making mileage more accurate. Halfmile does a fine job of constantly updating his info, which is a huge plus.

10-K
01-21-2013, 07:52
I am also planning a PCT hike and am currently using Yogi's handbook and Halfmile's maps to get some perspective on what I'm getting into and familiarize myself with the trail.

This combination seems to be more than enough but I'm just getting into it good.

juma
01-21-2013, 09:14
halfmile's gps data, a state road map, halfmile's trail notes, and halfmile's altitude profiles make a good combo. I also had yogi's trailnotes/town guides.

Dustin_B
03-14-2013, 16:35
If one has Yogi's guide why would one also need the databook?? In reading Yogi's planning guide, many of the former thru-hikers giving their opinion suggest using Yogi's guide, Halfmile's maps, and the PCT databook. What does the PCT databook have that Yogi's doesn't? It seems like Yogi's book has all the mileage information you would need. Also the databook hasn't been updated in a while, any revisions planned?? Thanks for the help.

trovar
03-14-2013, 17:29
I've found Halfmile's mileage pretty accurate; he should be all you need.

brian039
03-14-2013, 19:00
If one has Yogi's guide why would one also need the databook?? In reading Yogi's planning guide, many of the former thru-hikers giving their opinion suggest using Yogi's guide, Halfmile's maps, and the PCT databook. What does the PCT databook have that Yogi's doesn't? It seems like Yogi's book has all the mileage information you would need. Also the databook hasn't been updated in a while, any revisions planned?? Thanks for the help.

It's not Yogi guide vs databook, you either need the databook or Half-Mile's maps. Yogi's book is just a town guide with very little trail info. I'd go with Yogi's guide and Half-Mile's maps.

Chop
03-22-2013, 18:10
I'll second the advice of halfmiles with yogi's town data. Halfmiles correspond with the water report, and he shows camp spots on the map as well as the reliable water. I hiked with a few guys with different map sets among us, and halfmiles was cursed the least.

You can also put halfmiles on your smartphone easily too.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Malto
03-22-2013, 19:26
Another consideration in a high snow year is GPS waypoints. It's nice to have half miles waypoints that match your map set. This was great in 2011, we had complete snow coverage in the Sierra and having both maps and waypoints was nice.

As far as the rest. I took half miles maps and that's it. Didn't need much more, spent very little time in towns.