PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Pinhoti & BMT (Split)

Dogwood
01-14-2013, 18:08
Thx Sgt Rock. Nice rundown. Appreciate the beta.

I'll post this here as well. I'm thruing the BMT and Pinhoti Trail(PT) right after the other and don't want to rehike the same miles or minimize this situation. I was wondering what it would be like getting to/from the PT northern terminus and BMT junction at Watson Gap by hitching in/out? Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to work out the logistics of this. My first thought was to hike the BMT SOBO from Davenport to the PT junction. Hitch out and to the PT southerm terminus and hike the PT NOBO to the BMT/PT junction and continue to Springer along the BMT. I prefer finishing at Springer. It leaves me closer to where I'll be flying out of, Atlanta.

SGT Rock
01-15-2013, 01:22
Thx Sgt Rock. Nice rundown. Appreciate the beta.

I'll post this here as well. I'm thruing the BMT and Pinhoti Trail(PT) right after the other and don't want to rehike the same miles or minimize this situation. I was wondering what it would be like getting to/from the PT northern terminus and BMT junction at Watson Gap by hitching in/out? Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to work out the logistics of this. My first thought was to hike the BMT SOBO from Davenport to the PT junction. Hitch out and to the PT southerm terminus and hike the PT NOBO to the BMT/PT junction and continue to Springer along the BMT. I prefer finishing at Springer. It leaves me closer to where I'll be flying out of, Atlanta.

Interesting that you ask. Just a couple of weeks ago I helped a German woman with the same issue. Her trail name is The German Tourist and her blog is here: http://www.christine-on-big-trip.blogspot.com/

I assume you have my guidebook, so I'll reference some pages to help guide you where I can. Watson Gap is absolutely going to be the most probably place to get out/onto the PT. But the chances of getting a hitch out or in are pretty slim. On page 20 there is a list of shuttle companies that know the area. Another option would be to ask the folks at Jacks River Country Store (page 22) if they can help you out. They are BMTA members and live in the area. Watson Gap is about 4 miles from their store. They have told me they would take hikers down to their store for a re-supply. So maybe getting down to their from the BMT you might be able to call them for pick up or walk/hitch the 4 miles. When you end up near there after hiking the PT, you could probably come back down again for re-supply before continuing south to Springer. I always tell people if you ask for something like this from a business that you also use them so there is some profit for them.

I've hiked the Alabama Pinhoti years ago when all there was, was about 110 miles of trail. When I counseled German Tourist about this hike, I told her that there wasn't anything for re-supply my entire hike. I started with 10 days of food and winter gear and made it in 9 - this was before I learned to pack lighter so I started with about 70 pounds on my back. Anyhow, the trail now continues past where I ended - sort of. It is supposed to be a bunch of sections of trail and lots of road walks connecting them. When I finished it Sobo I ended at Porters Gap and got one of the easiest hitches of my life into Talladega. I don't know where you plan to end, but Talledega was a good spot to resupply and maybe end. I think German Tourist was going to finish there.

Getting back to the BMT is probably going to involve a favor or paying someone. I can't imagine getting a hitch back up to Watson Gap from Talladega. One option you may consider is just hiking south on the AT to Springer first, then get a local shuttle from Spring back to Watson Gap. Then when you get to Talledega take the Greyhound from Talladega to Atlanta.

Dogwood
01-15-2013, 03:05
Thanks for Christine's, aka German Tourist's(GT), link. I was wondering what she was up to lately. Last time I spoke with her she was headed to OZ to thru the Bibbulbum. She has a solid athletic adventurist traveling personality. Knows how to laugh too. She's obviously been enjoying one of her loves - hiking.

As far as the hitch out from the BMT/PT junction I was going to head to Jack's River Country store to find a ride. And, yes on my way back PT NOBO to the BMT east to Springer I was going to have them hold a package for me. From GT's blog she said they were open; I'll call first to confirm. Nice classy considerate comment here that builds positive trail/hiker/community/trail town relationships Rock: "I always tell people if you ask for something like this from a business that you also use them so there is some profit for them." Absolutely correct. Really nice to witness your perspective.

Of course I have your Guidebook. Wouldn't hit the BMT without it. Well written. That, with the three Nat Geo TI maps covering the BMT, two I already had, bought the Tellico/Ocoee #781, I'm good to go for a BMT winter thru. I'm hiking the BMT for the same reasons as The German Tourist which she details in her blog. Thx again.

Dogwood
01-16-2013, 02:51
Any other suggestions would be welcome.

SGT Rock
01-16-2013, 12:09
Not a lot of people with experience doing what you are trying to do.

Mulberry
01-16-2013, 21:16
I am Diane, one of the owners of Mulberry Gap Mountain Bike Get-A-Way. One of my business partners in on the board of the Georgia Pinhoti Trail Association and we are very familiar with the trail. We are in a position to assist thru hikers and are happy to do so.

When the trail crosses Hwy 52, it comes down to Mulberry Gap Road. The trail continues to the right on FS 18 before picking up the single track again. To find us, you would turn to the left (instead of right) and we are less than 1/2 mile from that point. We can help with pick up, resupply, showers, overnight stays, etc. Others have parked their vehicles here, gotten shuttled to their origination point, hiked here and then we drop them at the BMT/PT point and they hike back. We have picked up hikers at airports and assisted in that manner as well. If we know the need, we will assist if possible and if we can't help, we'll put you in touch with someone else that can. We have many contacts in the Dalton area that are happy to help hikers. Their names are great to have on hand in case of an emergency. Just this morning, a thru hiker got stranded due to high waters and the word was put out for emergency assistance. Please spread the word to use us a source of assistance. Thank you

Dogwood
01-16-2013, 22:51
Awesome Diane, If I'm understanding this right you are at about mile 127 on the Ga Pinhoti at Mulberry Gap about 18 miles south of the PT northern terminus at Ga PT mile 145(PT/BMT junction) according to Mr. Parkay's PT maps I looked at from the Pinhoti Trail Alliance website. That would work for me. I checked out your website. Got your ph #. Will call in a couple of wks. Seems like a real nice place you have. I'm going to try working you into my logistics. Wasn't aware of your place. Thanks for the info. I'm going to pass your info on to my brothers in GA who mountain bike much more than me too.

German Tourist
01-20-2013, 10:15
Dogwood, I would do a straight thruhike instead of a flipflop. It is quite easy to get from the Southern PT terminus to Atlanta. There are PT trail angels that can shuttle you from the terminus to Birmingham or Anniston like Blister Bob. You'll find his contact info on the PTA website. From Birmingham you have three cheap and convenient options to get to Atlanta. You can take Amtrak that also passes through Anniston for 38$ but it arrives late at 8 pm in Atlanta. There are two Greyhound buses as well but the cheapest option is Megabus. If you book well in advance the ticket is as cheap as 5$! Megabus arrives in Atlanta daily at 4 pm. Don't hesitate to contact me if you have further questions, I'll finish the PT in 2 days.

SGT Rock
01-20-2013, 17:24
I hope the Pinhoti Trail was as easy for you as I made it out to be. :cool: