PDA

View Full Version : Big Spring Shelter

RETCW4
01-15-2013, 11:37
I just received my AT Guide yesterday and it states that Big Spring Shelter is to be removed. Does anyone know if it has been removed yet?

Thanks,
Tumblweed

barf_jay
01-15-2013, 11:52
Per the AT website no information there, this is the first I have heard of it:NORTH CAROLINA Long Branch Shelter Open
Construction of the Long Branch Shelter was recently completed by the Nantahala Hiking Club and is now open. It is about 2 miles north of Albert Mountain in the Nantahala National Forest. There are accessible eating shelves, accessible privy, and the site is laid out with interior trails at accessible grades. Cold Spring Shelter under construction
The Cold Spring shelter, south of Wesser, NC, is closed while undergoing renovation by the Nantahala Hiking Club.

Post Office Changes - Fontana Dam, North Carolina
Current hours are Monday through Friday 11:45 am to 3:45 pm. This schedule reflects a change that was implemented during November 2012.

Southerner
01-15-2013, 13:01
Big Spring Shelter was still there as of November when I passed through.

ScottC
01-15-2013, 13:10
Any current info. on Big Spring would be appreciated - planning to stay there THIS weekend.

HikerMom58
01-15-2013, 13:55
The brand new Long Branch Shelter has replaced the Big Spring shelter... enjoy!! Search on Long Branch Shelter thread and u can see a pic of it... it's NICE!! The generator in the pic won't be there tho! ;)

dancingbear
01-27-2013, 12:23
Last summer me and a friend wondered into the big spring shelter after a long day and found it trashed. By the looks of it some kids had partied there and left all their trash, to tired to care we cooked and got into our bags. There was kind of an eri mojo down there that i felt the secound i got there. Within 5 minutes we discovered the shelter was swarmed with mice. there were a good 10-15 mice in and around the shelter , after hastily stuffing our packs we ditched the shelter at 11 and ended up sleeping in the middle of the trail. Its not a good place haha

daddytwosticks
01-27-2013, 16:38
Those mice will have a hell of a commute to Long Branch Shelter. :)

AngryGerman
04-22-2013, 11:36
Thats two shelters out from Franklin, yes? If my memory is correct that one is no longer there and was replaced by the new Long Branch Shelter due to reforestation purposes. Another SOBO and I expected to stay there when we left out of Franklin but to our dismay it was gone; suck factor increased by a million due to the 2-3 feet of snow we were walking on and Long Branch was another 7 or 8 miles past it. We stopped at Albert Mt quickly to see if the tower was unlocked, it wasn't so... we kept trudging through the deep stuff until we got to Long Branch. Good times, slept in a bit the next morning awoke and pounded out the miles to Hiawasse through all that glorious snow!