PDA

View Full Version : Will boiling water damage a Nalgene over time?

Deadpete
01-15-2013, 19:53
(Not sure exactly what area this would have fit in best, but some people reconstitute or cook food in their Nalgenes so I figured this wasn't a bad location.)

I've often heard of the hot water in a Nalgene trick to supplement a sleep system in cold weather, and wanted to start using it. I sleep very cold, particularly my feet, and need to figure something out to help myself. I've got a Nalgene, but I don't want to damage it.

Is boiling water ok, or should it just be hot?
Will doing this affect the taste of water drank from the bottle?
Will any long term damage occur?

Thanks for any replies : )

JAK
01-15-2013, 20:03
Is this an old BPA Nalgene, or a new BPA Free Nalgene?

Deadpete
01-15-2013, 20:11
I don't remember exactly how long I've owned it, going to guess 2004-2006?
Markings on the bottom are NALGENE with a 6 under that, a recycle symbol with a 7 in it, and PC under.

Don't know if that helps in identifying it or not.

Pretty sure I owned it before the talk of BPA came came out/became mainstream, so my guess would be BPA?

Deadpete
01-15-2013, 20:22
A little bit of Googling shows me it's a BPA bottle and not the new Tritan copolyester, so maybe I'll succumb and get a new one and use this for leg heating purposes.

Not that I used it much anyways, love SmartWater bottles with my ULA. And who knows what Tritan copolyester will be found to do to us in the future... lol.

garlic08
01-15-2013, 22:43
I put boiling water in a Nalgene for many years on winter trips and never saw a problem with the bottle or taste. If you put it in your bag, be advised to put the bottle in a ziplock, too--belt and suspenders. It's a good trick as long as you have the fuel.