PDA

View Full Version : Developer vandalized

The Scribe
06-02-2005, 21:10
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=438 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=2>In the Portland (Maine) Press Herald, June 1, 2005. Mooshead Lake is to the west of the trail and 15 miles north of Monson. These plans have generated a lot of heat in Maine. My apologies if this has already been posted. I looked but didn't see it.

Vandals target developers of Moosehead plan

<!-- deck (not summary deck) follows. --><!-- summary --><!-- byline, credit follows. Byline in all-caps -->Associated Press <!-- copyright line follows -->

</TD><TD> </TD><TD vAlign=top width=128>
<!-- email to friend link follows -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://www.mainetoday.com/images/dotclear.gif</TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=right><!-- related story direction, link and name follow.Related Story:
Name of related story or sidebar ("")

--></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>

<!-- BEGIN ad-photo table -->FAIRFIELD — Vandals targeted the offices of a land management company that is proposing the largest development ever in the North Woods hours before environmentalists gathered Tuesday to show their opposition to the proposal. Workers arrived at Plum Creek's state headquarters to discover someone had cut down the sign in front of the building. Also, there were spray-painted messages including "Leave Our Land" and "Maine Is Not For Sale."Seattle-based Plum Creek announced its development intentions for the Moosehead Lake region in December. As outlined in April, the project would include 975 house lots, four sporting camps, two resorts and a golf course.

"We see Greenville being more of a Kennebunkport or a Boothbay Harbor in the future if this happens," Jim Freeman of Earth First! told WLBZ-TV in Bangor. Freeman denied having anything to do with the vandalism.

Company officials said there would be ample opportunity for people to express their opinions as the proposal is reviewed by the Maine Land Use Regulation Commission.

The project is the largest subdivision ever proposed in the 10.5 million acres of unorganized territory that the Land Use Regulation Commission oversees.

As part of the plan, Plum Creek proposed setting aside 89 percent of the 426,000 acres as working forestland. Most of the development would occur in the next 10 to 15 years, Plum Creek officials have said.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Lone Wolf
06-03-2005, 10:07
Earth First = Pussies

Scribe
06-03-2005, 13:46
Once again, L Wolf has sent a pungent - but essentially meaningless - comment.

Lone Wolf
06-03-2005, 13:55
Veggies get no pudding. Open your heart, I'm coming home. :sun

icemanat95
06-03-2005, 15:40
Earth First walks the ragged edge between radical environmental lobbying group and an eco-terrorist organization with an awful lot of stepping over into the terrorist side these days. They have little traction with moderates and none with conservatives.

Lone Wolf
06-03-2005, 15:42
Guess I'm a friggin conservative.

Skyline
06-03-2005, 16:05
The thing is, many of the self-described, proud conservatives who will denounce the actions of a group like Earth First (and their is NO proof they were involved with the Maine incident) were the very ones to rally around Eric Rudolph because of his anti-government, kill-the-abortionists, blow-up-the-gay-bars violence.

Yeah, I know that is painting all neo-cons with a very broad brush but it sure wasn't moderates or liberals with "Run, Eric, Run!" on their bumper stickers or who provided safe havens for him during his time on the lam.

smokymtnsteve
06-07-2005, 14:46
ABBEY LIVES.....he lives within my heart!

TJ aka Teej
06-07-2005, 18:30
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=438 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD rowSpan=2>

</TD><TD></TD><TD vAlign=top width=128>
<!-- email to friend link follows -->

</TD></TR><TR><TD>http://www.mainetoday.com/images/dotclear.gif</TD><TD vAlign=bottom align=right><!-- related story direction, link and name follow.Related Story:
Name of related story or sidebar (http://Name of related story or sidebar)

--></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top colSpan=3>
FAIRFIELD — Vandals targeted the offices of a land management company that is proposing the largest development ever in the North Woods hours before environmentalists gathered Tuesday to show their opposition to the proposal. Workers arrived at Plum Creek's state headquarters to discover someone had cut down the sign in front of the building. Also, there were spray-painted messages including "Leave Our Land" and "Maine Is Not For Sale."
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I suspect Plum Creek's Public Relations people did it themselves. Expect them to make similar claims about PETA, Roxanne Quimby, and RESTORE in the near future.

saimyoji
06-07-2005, 22:57
Open your heart, I'm coming home. :sun

Is this ala Pink Floyd?

Alligator
06-08-2005, 09:14
Is this ala Pink Floyd? You can't have any pudding if you don't eat your meat.

neighbor dave
10-15-2005, 22:10
and the worms ate into his brain!!:jump

titanium_hiker
10-16-2005, 15:59
*shiver* did you see the disgusting photo on snopes? don't look for it unless you like to be GROSSED out- and even then don't look. makes my head itch.

violence is wrong- whichever side of the political spectrum you are on. You yanks sure seem to politise things- liberal/conservative or d/r. And use that to hurl the insults.

Peaceful protesting is cool.

titanium

smokymtnsteve
10-16-2005, 16:15
violence wrong???

seems I heard U say before that death and blood were nescessary :-?

titanium_hiker
10-16-2005, 16:30
lol steve- yeah, was necesary once. now there is no excuse. :) you know I'm right. :D ;)

violence IS wrong. especially when it hurts others. Don't matter whether the thing that is being violenced against is right or wrong, violence IS wrong. and it just reinforces the other side. peaceful protesting (ghandi, Jesus etc) is VERY cool.

I don't really want to go off topic with this steve- I think most of this was argued way past what was necesary in "the other thread"

ok, so what about greenpeace? do they peaceful protest? (like the guy rappeling of the spike on Parliment house in Australia- unfurling sign that said: ratify kyoto!)

titanium

smokymtnsteve
10-16-2005, 16:36
back in 1983 I was attacked and stabbed in the throat...I had to take very violent action against the perpertrator...was that violence wrong?

titanium_hiker
10-16-2005, 17:37
ok. I'm expecting that about now we descend into a meaningless but interesting philosofical debate.

Lets see, how can we define "violence as wrong" - umm. Unprovoked violence is wrong. Reactive violence (such as when you were stabbed) is not wrong- it is necesary to protect a life (such as yours)
So then we come to the point: so were the Vandalists only doing "Reactive violence"? Ok, so let's step up the definition of "Reactive Violence" - that it is only justified violence when it is to save a life (like mum breaking kids arm to yank him away from car). Ok, so, what about all the little wild things that possibly will be killed in this new development (not to mention all the trees)? Should we refine it to define it as: "violence is justified when it is to protect the life (including serious injury) of a human"

I think that such debate has and will go on for many years.

I'm sticking by my statement: "non-violent protests are cool".

I'm off to camp for a week- so I think I'll drop this thread.

titanium

Israel
10-17-2005, 09:38
975 homes on 426,000 acres w/ 89% conserved as greenspace/forest??

Our country is founded on the integrity of private property rights. They own it- they control it. The only path to really intervene is through lack of governmental approvals.

If you do the math though that works out to one house per 436+ acres- not what i would call high density.

I wonder how the terrorists felt driving away in their oil consuming car, on their developer paved streets, laying down on their industry created bed, and sleeping under their builder/developer provided roof?

Gotta love hypocracy.

Spartan Hiker
10-17-2005, 09:57
I wonder how the terrorists felt driving away in their oil consuming car, on their developer paved streets, laying down on their industry created bed, and sleeping under their builder/developer provided roof?

Gotta love hypocracy.Well, Luddite terrorists don't think in logical ways. It's all about the rage, baby.

icemanat95
10-17-2005, 11:39
The thing is, many of the self-described, proud conservatives who will denounce the actions of a group like Earth First (and their is NO proof they were involved with the Maine incident) were the very ones to rally around Eric Rudolph because of his anti-government, kill-the-abortionists, blow-up-the-gay-bars violence.

Yeah, I know that is painting all neo-cons with a very broad brush but it sure wasn't moderates or liberals with "Run, Eric, Run!" on their bumper stickers or who provided safe havens for him during his time on the lam.

No, it wasn't conservatives with the "Run, Eric, Run" stuff, it was idiot extremists, no better and no worse than the cowardly morons who did this. Terrorism is a monstrosity whether perpetrated for religion, politics, the environment or whatever else.

Equating ALL conservatives, neo or old-school to the supporters of Eric Rudolph is inflammatory and counterproductive. Unfortunately this demonization of all opposing positions is what politics on all sides has come to today. Likewise it is useless to equate all environmental activism to the activities of Earth First and similar extremist groups.