PDA

View Full Version : Waka Waka

zurich
01-15-2013, 22:54
Hello all! Im new in town, and have many thoughts and questions, but right off the bat, i was wondering if anyone has seen, heard, or used this groovy looking device on the trail? At about 7 ounces it might come in handy?

The waka waka concept seems to be a great idea; i believe the company manufactures in haiti and also either donates or sells on the cheap to developing regions around the world.

http://www.buy.com/prod/wakawaka-solar-lamp/233930033.html?listingId=238007604

leaftye
01-15-2013, 23:26
I'd rather have, and do have, this light at less than half the weight, price, and double the brightness.
http://lightscastle.com/product/trustfire-z2-cree-xpe-r3-5-mode-280lm-memory-white-led-flashlight-w-clip--grey-1-x-14500-120034

It's 2.5 ounces with a lithium ion rechargeable battery, and should be even lighter with a Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA battery.

zurich
01-16-2013, 01:46
oh, i should have been more specific about its use. The led light is a nice lil addition, but i wanted it to charge my ipad on my thru hike. I will be using an ipad instead of phone, maps, reading books, journal, and will be blogging for friends and family to keep track.

I know an ipad is quite heavy, but i think will be tolerable by not bringing those said items, or other "luxuries".

I am also thinking of doing the hike to support a charity, and would do so via my blog, so ease of writing needs to be important.

Also, with apps such as "pocket" (formally "read it later") one can save an almost limitless supply of articles and view without wifi. This paired up with stumble upon would help curb many lonely nights in the woods!

So this waka waka device seems perfect for charging my device. I have been looking awhile now for a lightweight solar charger, and am looking for any suggestions from anyone having success with any brand or model.

-most portable solar charger either seem way to heavy, too weak, or both.

thanks all!

leaftye
01-16-2013, 02:45
This thing has no chance of keeping your iPad charged.

Water Rat
01-16-2013, 07:46
Powertraveller Power Monkey Extreme is about the only thing out there that (I have heard of) will charge an iPad.

bfayer
01-16-2013, 09:06
This thing has no chance of keeping your iPad charged.

You beat me to it.

This thing has a 2200 mah battery. An IPad 2 has a ~7000 mah, the IPad 3 battery is like twice that size.

I also don't believe the solar charge time they list on the web site.

If you live in the desert and need a flashlight, looks like it would work. To hike with, not so much.

zurich
01-16-2013, 10:17
I actually posted a link to the older version, which is intended more as a simple light than charger. This is the link to the new one which should roll out in may. The new one claims to give an extra two hours of battery life when fully charged hooked to an ipad set on full brightness. These folks also claim that the technology in these solar cells is 200% better than anything else on the market?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wakawakalight/wakawaka-power-the-best-compact-solar-power-statio

bfayer
01-16-2013, 10:38
I actually posted a link to the older version, which is intended more as a simple light than charger. This is the link to the new one which should roll out in may. The new one claims to give an extra two hours of battery life when fully charged hooked to an ipad set on full brightness. These folks also claim that the technology in these solar cells is 200% better than anything else on the market?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wakawakalight/wakawaka-power-the-best-compact-solar-power-statio

200% of way to little still makes it too little. An iPad is a huge power hog and this thing will never fully recharge one using solar power. The battery pack will give you a boost, but there are other lighter options for that.

I am not picking on the product, it was designed for a very specific market in mind, and for that I have no doubt it will work fine. For hiking, in my opinion, not so much.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

colorado_rob
01-16-2013, 10:56
I've tried solar chargers out here in sunny CO, one with significantly more collection area than this device, and I have to agree, no way will this device provide enough juice for an IPAD, sorry, especiall on the AT. But: for that price, no harm trying and proving us wrong.

Slo-go'en
01-16-2013, 13:02
In order to charge the waka-waka battery from depleted to 100% requires leaving it in direct sun all day (sun up to sun down). This means you have to baby sit it and move it at least once an hour to keep it faced into the sun. And then you only get an extra 2 hours on you iPad.

So, are you willing to waste a whole day sitting around letting this thing charge? Of course, that is the worse case senario. However, it is a difficult balancing act to keep enough charge on both devices so that you never deplete either.

There is another kickstarter project which looks really interesting. It is a gravity powered generator. The generator is hung from a beam or tree limb and a bucket full of dirt powers it. The weight slowly drops to the ground and as it does, it powers a gear train which spins the generator. I belive it will run for 30 mintues with a 5 foot drop. The only problem is it looked a little big and heavy for backpacking use.

zurich
01-16-2013, 19:46
its surprising how much battery is saved with the screen brightness turned way down.

one would think there would be some sort of kinetic generator we could attach to ourselves while on the trail. that would rock my world.

leaftye
01-16-2013, 19:55
Stop thinking about buying gear you probably don't need. Go hiking and find out what you really need.

Biggie Master
01-16-2013, 20:06
its surprising how much battery is saved with the screen brightness turned way down.

one would think there would be some sort of kinetic generator we could attach to ourselves while on the trail. that would rock my world.

Get those shelter mice up to about 120 rpm in a hamster wheel -- you can power this website (and your Ipad).

Hosaphone
01-16-2013, 20:51

I saw something about floor tiles they are using in subway stations in Japan that absorb the shock of people stepping on them and convert it to energy. Strap a pair of floor tiles to your feet while you hike and you'll be good to go :p

But really, external battery packs seem like the best option, especially on the AT. I know some people have hiked the CDT or PCT with giant solar panels strapped to their backpacks during the day, but I think most of the time on the AT you just won't get enough sun for it to be worthwhile.

GoldenBear
01-16-2013, 21:07
Here they are:
http://www.21st-century-goods.com/categories/Hand-Crank/Hand-Crank-Cell-Phone-Chargers/
You supply the kinetic energy -- and get a cell phone charger, flashlight, AM/FM radio, and weather radio.

Hosaphone
01-16-2013, 21:13
Here they are:
http://www.21st-century-goods.com/categories/Hand-Crank/Hand-Crank-Cell-Phone-Chargers/
You supply the kinetic energy -- and get a cell phone charger, flashlight, AM/FM radio, and weather radio.

You might actually be able to rig one of those up between your legs and use it kind of like you were pedaling a bicycle... You'd probably trip and die, though.

FatHead64
01-16-2013, 22:37
Actually, my brother sent me an article (Cleveland, OH) where someone who previously hiked the AT has developed a kinetic charger. The article claimed even the military was interested. Not a crank or anything, kinetic energy from being in your pack while hiking, of all things! Had USB ports to use with charger cables. Of course, now I can't find the article. Will need to look around for it.

FatHead64
01-16-2013, 22:43
Found it - online, anyway. Link: http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/10/tremont_electric_a_tiny_clevel.html

zurich
01-18-2013, 04:05
thanks all! its nice to hear about new gadgets and get some positive advice, instead of simply reading ignorant know-it-all douche bag comments, from certain douchey members who think they are above others.

zurich
01-18-2013, 04:10
hey thanks for that link--i live like 15 mins from Tremont! thats the kind of tech im looking for. in a few years it'll be lighter, cheaper, and more powerful though im sure.

leaftye
01-18-2013, 04:16
Found it - online, anyway. Link: http://www.cleveland.com/business/index.ssf/2012/10/tremont_electric_a_tiny_clevel.html

There's already been a lot of discussion about this device here and on bpl. We have a pretty good idea about how this performs.

MyName1sMud
01-29-2013, 17:23
In order to charge the waka-waka battery from depleted to 100% requires leaving it in direct sun all day (sun up to sun down). This means you have to baby sit it and move it at least once an hour to keep it faced into the sun. And then you only get an extra 2 hours on you iPad.

So, are you willing to waste a whole day sitting around letting this thing charge? Of course, that is the worse case senario. However, it is a difficult balancing act to keep enough charge on both devices so that you never deplete either.

There is another kickstarter project which looks really interesting. It is a gravity powered generator. The generator is hung from a beam or tree limb and a bucket full of dirt powers it. The weight slowly drops to the ground and as it does, it powers a gear train which spins the generator. I belive it will run for 30 mintues with a 5 foot drop. The only problem is it looked a little big and heavy for backpacking use.

I wonder how much something like that would set me back?