PDA

View Full Version : Rescuers find hiker lost on AT in PA

SavageLlama
06-02-2005, 22:48
That's what she gets for Blue-Blazing!

Rescuers find hiker lost overnight on trail
The Patriot News
Thursday, June 02, 2005

A Johns Hopkins University student who was reported missing while hiking on the Appalachian Trail was found unharmed yesterday by rescuers near the border of Dauphin and Lebanon counties.

Sara Rogers, 24, who lives in the Baltimore area, was found around 2 p.m. yesterday near the Rausch Gap shelter along the trail in Lebanon County, just east of the Dauphin County border, authorities said.

Two friends who had been hiking with her on Tuesday reported her missing yesterday morning when she failed to meet them at the shelter.
Rogers, who did not have a map, fell behind her friends, got lost on a side trail, then found the Appalachian Trail, said Karen Lutz, the regional director of the Appalachian Trail Conference.

The friends made it to the shelter Tuesday night and retraced their steps when Rogers did not arrive. They called police yesterday morning to report her missing.

"She didn't have a map with her and was unfamiliar with the area," Lutz said. "They did the right thing. The only thing she could have done better was have a map."

HIKING SAFELY

Check the weather first.
Take trail maps.
Hike with a friend.
Let someone know when you'll be back.
Take drinking water. Don't drink from streams or lakes.
Source: Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources

TOW
06-02-2005, 23:13
she's definetly one of us! hey attroll send an invite to that poor thing, we'll pamper her here..........

Moon Monster
06-03-2005, 09:31
Apparently, her two friends are thru-hikers and she was meeting up with them for a stretch. If this is true, then my only thought is that perhaps the thru-hiker friends should not have hiked on ahead of her late in the day since she did not have a map.
This link has a video:
http://www.thewgalchannel.com/news/4555299/detail.html

A-Train
06-07-2005, 11:12
MoonMonster is absolutely correct. It was not her fault, and it wasn't because she blue-blazed. It's because her thru-hiker "friends" decided to hike ahead of her assuming she could do 20+ mile days off the couch. I just talked to a hiker who was there at the time and this is the info he reported to me, as well as an ATC employee who was looking for her.