PDA

View Full Version : Strange question about feet

RibbonInTheWillow
01-16-2013, 10:49
Hey all, this may sound like a strange question, but I am wondering: I moved to Florida for the three months before I start the trail, and I started running and walking barefoot on the beach a lot, and it appears I've lost all my callouses on my feet. I know doing things barefoot improve the strength of your feet, but will getting rid of my callouses make me more vulnerable to blisters when I hike? Maybe I should put the shoes back on? Thanks!

burrito
01-16-2013, 11:00
i used to run barefoot on the beach, after a while i had to start wearing sneakers, as i had sanded all the good callouses off my feet.
its not like walking around on dirt
i have read that soaking your feet in salt water will help harden them

Pedaling Fool
01-16-2013, 11:03
I usually run barefoot on the beach at least once a week, but I haven't noticed that, actually I get cut up in the surf by all the little shells and stuff. And when I run away from the surf in the very soft sand, that is much easier on the skin of my feet, but it's very good in developing those stabilizing muscles from the constantly shifting soft sand.

Recommend you walk barefoot on pavement, I did prior to my hike and I had zero issues with blisters. I walked around the block at first and then increased the distance; I had some really good size blisters in the beginning which really toughened up my feet well. If you can walk a mile on the bumpy asphalt (not the smooth stuff) with zero hot spots you should be fine and if you can run on it, even better.

tds1195
01-16-2013, 11:05
I've heard that barefoot jump roping helps, but I have no idea if it's true or not...haha

Pedaling Fool
01-16-2013, 11:07
I've heard that barefoot jump roping helps, but I have no idea if it's true or not...hahaIt's good, but really hurts when you hit the rope against the toes when you're timing is off. But I guess that's also pain just leaving the body :)

RibbonInTheWillow
03-03-2013, 13:06
Thanks all! I ended up changing my workouts to barefoot stairs and walking in boots :)