PDA

View Full Version : NOBO thru-hike starting April 30th

silvercricket
01-16-2013, 11:03
Hello all,
I'm 18, just wanted to see if anyone else was planning on starting as (relatively) late as I am. Worried mother, y'know. I would start earlier but I'm currently in Malaysia and won't even be home till mid-April and will need a week or so of rest&relaxation. The good news is I already have all the gear I need and can do all the logistical planning from here.
I digress.
Anyway, if anyone else has a similar schedule or any advice/reassurance to offer my mom that I will indeed find nice people to hike with on the trail who won't kill me in my sleep, that'd be great.
Thanks!

Sugarfoot
01-16-2013, 11:10
I'm starting on April 27th. Wave as you run past. Since you are in DC, perhaps you could take Mom out to Harpers Ferry and meet some hikers or staff who have thru-hiked. The visitors center is a real friendly place. Or maybe bring her to a PATC meeting. That might help to reassure her.

DeerPath
01-16-2013, 12:10
Perhaps You and Mom could be Trail Angles one week-end, to meet the hikers as they come thru. The hikers will love You and Mom.

silvercricket
01-17-2013, 10:40
Perhaps You and Mom could be Trail Angles one week-end, to meet the hikers as they come thru. The hikers will love You and Mom.

Great idea. I'm sure she'll love the mother-daughter time too :)

Maybe this is too much to ask, but do you know a point on the trail (somewhere reasonably near Harper's Ferry) where hikers would especially need a pick-me-up? Or is it better to pick a shelter or a parking lot nearby? Perhaps I can execute my newly licensed driving skills and shuttle hikers where they want to go.
Thanks!

Max L
01-17-2013, 10:55
Have your mom browse this website, then she can read first hand accounts of trail life. Or watch an AT Documentary like "flip flop flippin". They are do a a great job displaying the community that exist on the trail and also dispel any ideas that criminal elements roam the trail preying on hikers.

CyborgAT
01-17-2013, 18:43
I'm starting April 28 or 29, it all depends on what time the bus gets in and what time I can get to the trail. Show your mom my YouTube channel (DDodds1990) and watch some of the videos from my hike last year. The people you meet are great and there is nothing to worry about. Happy trails I will see you out there!

Carry-On
01-17-2013, 22:12
I started April 19th, 2012 and ended up doing a very unique thruhike, a leapfroggy kind of flip flop. I met many people who I started with in the south who flipflopped due to running out of time. I also met others who were very fast who finished in time up at Katahdin. There were a lot of people around me when I started, but we were the tail end and didn't get hardly any trail magic down south, missed most of the free shuttles and other hiker services earlier starters have available.

CyborgAT
01-17-2013, 23:06
I started April 19th, 2012 and ended up doing a very unique thruhike, a leapfroggy kind of flip flop. I met many people who I started with in the south who flipflopped due to running out of time. I also met others who were very fast who finished in time up at Katahdin. There were a lot of people around me when I started, but we were the tail end and didn't get hardly any trail magic down south, missed most of the free shuttles and other hiker services earlier starters have available.

Yea I agree, I started April 15, 2012 and I didn't get much trail magic either. Some coolers here and there but didn't get any of the people who cooked for the hikers and what not. Not saying I didn't appreciate the coolers filled with food and drinks because believe me I did, it just would've been nice to experience the other trail magic as well. I guess it pays to start a little earlier. This year I'm starting even later haha oh well

silvercricket
01-18-2013, 07:11
My only deadline is that I have to be at college orientation by the last week of September. My goal is really just to get as far as I can. I'm leaning against flip-flopping, although I have thought about it, mostly because I like the simplicity of walking in one direction :)

With a start day of the 30th (or 28th or 29th, depending on how I get to the trailhead), I'm also thinking that it wouldn't be possible to get to Damascus in time for Trail Days, which is a bummer. Oh well.

CyborgAT
01-18-2013, 11:54
My only deadline is that I have to be at college orientation by the last week of September. My goal is really just to get as far as I can. I'm leaning against flip-flopping, although I have thought about it, mostly because I like the simplicity of walking in one direction :)

With a start day of the 30th (or 28th or 29th, depending on how I get to the trailhead), I'm also thinking that it wouldn't be possible to get to Damascus in time for Trail Days, which is a bummer. Oh well.

You won't need to flip flop, I have the same end date as you, in September. I have college loans ($600 a month) so I'm starting late to save more and hiking fast to keep the cost lower. You could go to trail days, but you would have to find a shuttle and it will be a long drive. Maybe you could ask around on here to find someone who is driving. Do you have a trail name?

silvercricket
01-18-2013, 22:25
No trail name yet. I was an outdoors camp counselor for several years and my "camp name" was Cricket, so I was thinking of maybe using that because I'm used to it but we'll see :)

I probably won't try to go this year, I think the logistics would be pretty complicated. How fast are you planning to hike?

CyborgAT
01-18-2013, 23:03
Haha then go with cricket, I mean if you like it why not? And you should definitely still do the trail, you still would have 5 1/2 months to hike the trail!

silvercricket
01-18-2013, 23:28
Oh I'm definitely hiking! I meant I probably won't try to get to Trail Days! haha half my stuff is already labeled with Cricket too, so that's a plus :)

CyborgAT
01-18-2013, 23:40
Oh haha okay yea it would be impossible to hike there in 2 weeks, but if you really wanted to go I'm sure you could find a way. I'm not going to go, I went when I hiked last year so I'm not worried about it. I will probably go in 2014. How fast do you plan on hiking?

tridavis
01-18-2013, 23:43
We are doing Springer to Fontana starting on the 26TH.......Maybe we will see you cricket.

silvercricket
01-19-2013, 06:27
For planning purposes, I've been using the 15 mi/day itinerary from this site. I think 15-17 sounds good, but of course I'm saying that as I sit behind my computer. It may be more like 12 -15. Ideally, I'd be doing 20 miles a day but I'm not sure how realistic that is since I won't really have the opportunity to do any hiking beforehand. I'm not planning on taking many zero days though. What are you planning?

tridavis, yeah maybe! That'd be cool :)

CyborgAT
01-19-2013, 15:16
I don't want to take to many zero days. Last year I took way to many zeros so I'm not taking as many this year to keep the cost lower and so I can make more miles faster. Some people can do 20 mile days but they don't enjoy it. It all depends on what you want to do when you get out there. If you feel like you can't then it's not worth it to do it because you won't enjoy yourself. I enjoy doing big miles. I wake up early and just go. I take a lunch break and then a couple small breaks here and there for views and water but other than that I just go to get in the miles. I like hiking like that, but I know a lot of people don't.

CyborgAT
01-19-2013, 15:41
I don't know if you have a facebook but there is a group on there full of people hiking the trail this year so check it out if you want :)
http://www.facebook.com/groups/316316641744542/

takethisbread
01-19-2013, 17:17
U should be able to finish easily by end of sept just straight hiking. 5 months is a moderate pace like 12.5 miles per day . If you average 15 mpd which is easily what younger folk average (especially hiking with al the long days) you will finish around early mid sept

silvercricket
01-19-2013, 19:28
Sounds good fo me. Once I settle into a pace, I don't like to interrupt it much. Are you planning on doing the approach trail?
I'll check out the fb group too.
takethisbread, thanks for the encouragement :) It's good to hear. I noticed your avatar, do you use a hammock on the trail? Imm just curious because I was thinking about switching a while back. I decided against it for now but I'm still interested to read other people's experiences

Dodds1990
01-19-2013, 20:00
Yeah I'm going to do the approach. I wasn't going to but I recently decided to do it. I did it last year so I wasn't going to but I figured why not. Are you planning on doing it? I'm excited to get back out there, it was the best time of my life!

Dodds1990
01-19-2013, 20:01
I use a hammock and I love it. If you have any questions about hammocking feel free to ask.

CyborgAT
01-19-2013, 20:05
Dodds1990 is me by the way, it was my old account I didn't realize i was still logged into it on my phone haha

takethisbread
01-19-2013, 20:48
I would not do a 2,000 miler with a hammock bc it's not as versatile and I'm into simplicity and low weight. And for me just carrying a tarp/tent is quicker. But some do hammock the whole trail, and seem quite content. I'd suggest hammock hiking a few overnights first before Making any rash decisions.
Sounds good fo me. Once I settle into a pace, I don't like to interrupt it much. Are you planning on doing the approach trail?
I'll check out the fb group too.
takethisbread, thanks for the encouragement :) It's good to hear. I noticed your avatar, do you use a hammock on the trail? Imm just curious because I was thinking about switching a while back. I decided against it for now but I'm still interested to read other people's experiences

silvercricket
01-20-2013, 03:30
haha okay I was confused for a minute. I'm still on the fence about whether I want to do the approach trail or not. Since we're driving down from DC the day or so before, I'm thinking about doing it as a day hike? Speaking of driving, if you (or anyone else reading this) is looking for a ride, we'd be happy to oblige. We can fit up to 3 :)

I wouldn't switch to using a hammock without being able to do a bunch of shorter trips with it, plus I love my tent, so I'm not really thinking about using one for the AT but I'm considering maybe switching a few years up the road.

CyborgAT
01-20-2013, 03:38
Hey I would be interested in getting a ride down there. It would be a lot cheaper than any way I was going to get down there. Can you email me? ([email protected]) This way we could discuss info and what not and try to arrange something.

And the approach is no big deal. You really just miss a waterfall and the trail is full of them so you won't be missing much. Not saying it isn't a nice waterfall haha but if you have seen one then it probably won't be breath taking. Just my opinion lol

silvercricket
01-20-2013, 04:37
Email sent, although you may get 5 or 6 copies of it, thanks to screwy wi-fi

CyborgAT
01-20-2013, 04:39
haha I only got one copy, I just replied

matt_blevins
02-02-2013, 16:46
Hey Cricket i'm starting early May and am a first time hiker looking for a partner. I'm heading nobo from springer to harpers ferry message me if interested.

Lucy
02-15-2013, 22:00
Hello all,
I'm 18, just wanted to see if anyone else was planning on starting as (relatively) late as I am. Worried mother, y'know. I would start earlier but I'm currently in Malaysia and won't even be home till mid-April and will need a week or so of rest&relaxation. The good news is I already have all the gear I need and can do all the logistical planning from here.
I digress.
Anyway, if anyone else has a similar schedule or any advice/reassurance to offer my mom that I will indeed find nice people to hike with on the trail who won't kill me in my sleep, that'd be great.
Thanks!

Hi Cricket!

I, too, am starting on 30 April, NOBO, and my mother is worried about the same things. After so many military deployments (finally retired) I figured she'd be over things like this but apparently not. I'm going to show your post to her so she can see someone else of sound mind is starting the same day. It will help her a lot.

I think I'm going to be coming up from the south to get to Springer but if not, I'll be coming from my Mom's in DC and will let you know if that happens. Your pace is about what I'm planning so I look forward to at least a couple days of walking together until you young folks demonstrate the many benefits of youth, such as energy, speed and not needing to take a zero day to get your hair colored! See you on 30 April!

MorningJoe
03-03-2013, 17:58
I live in Harpers Ferry and am currently thru-hikin the Florida Trail (FT). I'm lookin for a ride to Springer to start the AT on or around April 30th. I'm financially good to go and can pitch in for gas... Plzzz send me a PM so we can hook up for the ride. Also, I'm well experienced with hiking including two 300mi. section hikes of the AT... So if you wanna team up, I'd love some company:)

Solo2013
03-16-2013, 03:04
I cant wait to attempt my first thru-hike this year. Im planning on leaving in mid-late April from the Hampton roads area of Virginia. I still have to go buy a few things like a pack and get some mail drops ready tho before I head out but everything is going to plan so far, let just hope my GF dont change her mind about letting me hike it haha.

danwantstohike
03-16-2013, 14:46
hi, my name is dan. im 20 years old with scouting experience. im looking to get a small group or one other to watch each others backs out there. you time frame could work well with mine.