PDA

View Full Version : anybody use Rocky goretex socks?

1azarus
01-16-2013, 12:21
I've been experimenting with winter light weight/comfortable hiking footwear for a while, and so far I'd only managed light weight... I was wearing brooks cascadia trail runners, a plastic newspaper sleeve and a wool sock, with hydropel applications every morning. I was pretty much guaranteed wet feet at day's end, along with slipping plastic bags. Ever since reading of Sargent Rock's use of goretex socks I've been meaning to try them, and finally did, as follows: NB minimus trail runners, goretex socks, winter weight wool sock, orange superfeet. The combination, used over 2 and a half days in 2 to 8 inches of slushy snow just above freezing, worked perfectly. No wet feet. No cold feet. No hot spots. No need for hydropel. Comfortable. I had some bad experiences with the NB trail runners a year or so ago -- but with the addition of so much padding and the superfeet they performed flawlessly. My guess is that the total weight of my footwear was about equal to a standard trail runner summer setup. Note that the trail runners were a full size larger than my normal shoe size, and the Rocky goretex socks were a size and a half larger -- and needed to be in order to be put on over a heavy sock. They barely stretch, so care is required. I've got to say I am really excited about this combination!

1azarus
01-16-2013, 12:24
...and another thing! I should have mentioned that a secondary advantage to the minimus-type shoe is that there is less material to get wet -- so my trail runners didn't end up absorbing a lot of water and weighing a ton!

Omaha_Ace
01-16-2013, 12:26
I have a pair of Rocky hunting boots that I have owned since I was about 20. They inspired me to send one of only a handful of letters to a company because I love them so much. So I'm sure their socks rock as well.

MuddyWaters
01-16-2013, 13:16
I have a pair of Rocky hunting boots that I have owned since I was about 20. They inspired me to send one of only a handful of letters to a company because I love them so much. So I'm sure their socks rock as well.

Interesting. The two worst pair of boots I ever owned were Rocky.

One was a pair in 1983, that the heel counter was tall, hard stiff plastic , such that the boot couldnt even be worn. I actually cut the lining open, and cut the plastic heel out of the boot so that it was wearable.

In late 80s, the Rocky ultralites (goretex, cordura, foam midsole) were GREAT.... until the soles dry-rotted and literally fell apart in chunks after a couple of yrs just sitting in closet. Rocky did send me a new pair, and they were badly off-size such that toes were too tight and couldnt be worn. I ended up throwing them away.

Theyve been at it long enough that maybe they finally figured out how to make a decent pair of boots nowdays, I dont know.