PDA

View Full Version : What are the odds...

Omaha_Ace
01-16-2013, 13:03
That I would run into a bunch of SOBO folks on the last leg of their through hike in the northern Georgia section in late September? I'm planning a one week GA section hike and would like to plan on including a little trail magic if I can - like having a few pizzas delivered by the guy who is driving to camp with us each night [or maybe a case of beer :D]. Think it would be epic to inspire a little trail party / revelry if I can.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

:-?

Coffee Rules!
01-16-2013, 13:14

Lone Wolf
01-16-2013, 13:15
That I would run into a bunch of SOBO folks on the last leg of their through hike in the northern Georgia section in late September? I'm planning a one week GA section hike and would like to plan on including a little trail magic if I can - like having a few pizzas delivered by the guy who is driving to camp with us each night [or maybe a case of beer :D]. Think it would be epic to inspire a little trail party / revelry if I can.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

:-?

not very likely

Omaha_Ace
01-16-2013, 13:18

Duly noted. Magic is conjured, not manufactured...

Omaha_Ace
01-16-2013, 13:23
Ok - change of theme...

so this would be called a Trail Feed, not precisely magic, unless by random chance the feed coincided with a near-starving resourceless hiker wandering into a campsite/shelter while I was performing said feed.

New question is how common are these and what are the bylaws rules and regulations regarding such an event? Because I'm determined to make this happen at least one night while I'm there.

Lone Wolf
01-16-2013, 13:26
pack it in, leave the trash. a maintainer will pack it out

Coffee Rules!
01-16-2013, 13:32
Duly noted. Magic is conjured, not manufactured...

I was just being goofy. Personally I don't care what it's called. It's awesome that you want to do it. I asked a similar question last year and got as many useless comments from curmudgeons as I did actual answers to my question.

Good luck!

tagg
01-16-2013, 13:43
i took a week to do all of georgia northbound in september a few years ago, and the only long distance hiker i saw heading south was a guy who had started in maryland. it's probably doubtful that you'll see a "bunch" of sobos, but maybe you could get lucky. i would just be prepared to go home with a lot of pizza and beer.

Coffee Rules!
01-16-2013, 13:47
i would just be prepared to go home with a lot of pizza and beer.

No shame in that.

Omaha_Ace
01-16-2013, 13:53
No shame in that.

Not that pizza OR beer would go to waste. I can hike hungover. That's what the aspirin in my first aid kit is for, right? ;)

Southerner
01-16-2013, 14:03
Are you driving or flying to your trip? If you drive, you could take a more northerly (albeit very out-of-your-way) route to or from Georgia. I am thinking the front end of even a minor MEGA bubble would still be north of Erwin at that point. It's really cool, though, that you are even trying!

Sarcasm the elf
01-16-2013, 14:05
19036........................That was brilliant!

Coffee Rules!
01-16-2013, 14:05
That was brilliant!

Thanks. Gotta love meme generator.

Omaha_Ace
01-16-2013, 14:21
Are you driving or flying to your trip? If you drive, you could take a more northerly (albeit very out-of-your-way) route to or from Georgia. I am thinking the front end of even a minor MEGA bubble would still be north of Erwin at that point. It's really cool, though, that you are even trying!

Flying into Atlanta fron Nebraska - my aunt's husband is driving me to Springer and doesn't want to do the hiking, just the camping so he's driving shelter to shelter to meet me each night with the tent, etc. Figured it would be a great chance to start a party and meet some people and provide a little rally for the last-leg SOBOs if I meet any.

moldy
01-16-2013, 17:27
At the end of September you will have a better chance of finding some SOBO's They would be the early starters who hike fast. There is always a group who finish in 140 day-ish group. If you want to draw a better crowd then you should advertise at shelters, towns, hostles north of your spot. No that difficult and some of it can be done over the cell phone. A great spot would be at Deep Gap NC, you can drive the Forrest Service road to the trail at the top. You can set up right there in the parking lot. It's near Standing Indian shelter and most people who pass by are out in the middle of nowhere so to speak and will be hungry. Good idea.

flemdawg1
01-16-2013, 18:22
I would guess that mid-Oct you would see more SOBOs, but I doubt you'll ever see more than 2-5/day. i've done most of my sections during fall, and the most I've seen were 4 in a single day in the South. There's just alot fewer of them.

Omaha_Ace
01-16-2013, 19:01
This is a big leap for me. I'm normally an exceptionally antisocial backwoods freak who plans trips with the goal of seeing NOONE and having noone see me. Best I've done so far is Boundary Waters in Minnesota - not a single person for five days. I was disapointed in Arkansas two years ago when somebody yelled "Hello!!" from a kayak drifing down the Buffalo River on the third day. I was hoping in early April I'd have the whole wilderness to myself.

Car camping makes me crazy. C.R.A.Z.Y.

So the concept of a "social" outdoors experience is sort of foreign territory for me and I want to make the most of it however I can.

Sandy of PA
01-17-2013, 11:54
I hiked from Thornton Gap to Harpers Ferry starting Sept 10, 2012 and met the leading edge of the southbound bubble. Way too early for them to be in GA.

SCRUB HIKER
01-18-2013, 00:38
Hey, here's a mildly informed ANSWER to your QUESTION.

I would say it's too early. I ran into the very front end, guys who said they were in the first 20 of SOBOs, around Daleville, VA September 10-12 of this year. No way any substantial numbers would be in Georgia by the end of the month.