PDA

View Full Version : Foam rollers on the AT?

StylinLP38
01-16-2013, 14:33
With all the talk on here and the books ive been reading on the AT Im suprised no one has discussed hiking injuries alot more. My previous thread I talked about going to see a personal trainer and physical therapyst about why I was limping 8 miles into a hike. They determined that I have superficial fascia growth all over my legs. Athlets spend alot of money for personal trainers and massuase sessions to rub these out after every work out session. But you can do this yourself for free using Foam Rollers. Below is a quote from the SportsMedicine.about.com website on the subject.

[QUOTE][The superficial fascia is a soft connective tissue located just below the skin. It wraps and connects the muscles, bones, nerves and blood vessels of the body. Together, muscle and fascia make up what is called the myofascia system. For various reasons including disuse, not enough stretching, or injuries, the fascia and the underlying muscle tissue can become stuck together. This is called an adhesion and it results in restricted muscle movement. It also causes pain, soreness and reduced flexibility or range of motion (http://www.whiteblaze.net/od/flexibilityandstretching/a/Flexibility.htm).
Myofascial release is a body work technique in which a practitioner uses gentle, sustained pressure on the soft tissues while applying traction to the fascia. This technique results in softening and lengthening (release) of the fascia and breaking down scar tissue or adhesions between skin, muscles and bones.
Myofascial release has also been shown to relieve various muscle and joint pains such as IT band syndrome (http://www.whiteblaze.net/cs/knee_injuries/a/knee7.htm) and shin splints (http://www.whiteblaze.net/cs/leg_injuries/a/leg2.htm) as well as improving flexibility (http://www.whiteblaze.net/cs/flexibility/a/aa040703a.htm) and range of motion.Foam rollers are inexpensive and with a bit of experimentation you can target just about any muscle group. The latest style of foam roller, the Grid Foam Roller (http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/equipment/fr/The-Grid-Foam-Roller-Review.htm), has a unique design and construction that provides a more targeted trigger point self massage
/QUOTE]

My personal trainer has shown me how to use these foam rollers to rub myself out. Says I need to do this after every hike or workout. To help prevent injury on the trail why don't people bring these foam rollers and use them at the end of everyday?

HikerMom58
01-16-2013, 15:02
I LOVE my foam roller!! Yes, we have tried to figure out a way to carry it with us on the trail. I'm thinking it will make "the cut" and will be strapped onto my pack in May. I'm leaving the bear mace at home... LOL. I'm so over it.... Well, at least for a while. :D

Alligator
01-16-2013, 15:12
I mentioned to a caretaker in VT that I wished I had used mine more frequently prior to that hike. He suggested using a Nalgene. I don't carry a Nalgene but it might be a workable solution for some.

We have a Health and safety subforum here where health issues do come up fairly regularly.

Oak88
01-16-2013, 16:43
I have a rumble roller for tightness in my IT band. It works but I don't find it pratical for the trail size wise. If I bought a smaller softer one it could double as a pillow.
http://www.rumbleroller.com/reviews.html

topshelf
01-16-2013, 16:55
i love my trigger point foam roller. I use it a few times a day. I'm possibly addicted to it. It really works out my upper legs, the difference is mindboggling. The tissue damage from previous sports injuries used to hinder my hiking capabilities, but the roller has alleviated tightness and broken down the scar tissue. I used to have a huge lump that ran across my left thigh, after a few weeks of rolling it, it is gone.

As for the trail, yes it is unpractical in my opinion. Maybe carrying the travel sized "Stick" could be an option if you really wanted a roller with you on the trail. The nalgene or camelbak water bottle might to the trick, worth a shot...

Creek Dancer
01-16-2013, 17:01
LOL! When I first read the thread title, I thought this was going to be about foam hair rollers!

Deadeye
01-16-2013, 17:02
If you carry a rolled-up RidgeRest, a blue Wally World pad, or even a Bear Vault canister, there's your roller! The ULer's would love the double-duty application. Any water bottle or even smooth rocks can help with the smaller knots.

CarlZ993
01-16-2013, 18:30
+ Nalgene bottle. On a section hike, I saw a hiker using a Nalgene bottle to work on her IT band. If you had a small close cell foam pad (sit pad?), you could put it on top of the bottle for a little more cushioning.

On the 'down side,' a Nalgene bottle is really heavy for its intended use (carrying 1 L of water). But, if it's a dual purpose item, you could justify it.

StylinLP38
01-16-2013, 18:37
Well, if any of you catch me off the trail rubbing up against a tree or rock dont think I am getting my freak on lol

leaftye
01-16-2013, 19:00
At home I use a foam pad wrapped around a 4 inch diameter pvc pipe and held tight with a nylon ladderlock strap. It works pretty well, but I still have to tighten it occasionally.

Rolling up a foam pad and cinching it tight with a belt is too thin, at least for me. Most foam rollers have a 6 inch diameter. A rolled foam pad is only that thick if it is rolled loosely. If you can wrap a thick branch/log in the middle, it'll be thick enough. Or maybe get about piece of foam for the frame of your pack that can also be used as the core to your rolled up foam roller. It might even be worth making an inflatable/fillable core. An inflatable core might not be stiff enough, and the rolled foam will come loose too quickly. Filling it with water will make it uncompressible, so that might work. Maybe that can be your primary water carrier too. Or carry and extra thick and extra long foam pad. That might be thick enough for a roller without anything in the core, and it'll be nicer to sleep on too. This might work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alps-Mountaineering-Foam-Mat-750-Grey-Camping-Pad-Mattress-25-x77-x3-4-29-Oz-/110894092318?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d1cd901e

I think they occasionally sell that pad or something like it at Walmart, at least once I saw a shelf label for something like that, but there were no pads on the shelf. :(

Firmness is the other problem.

I would love to carry one on the trail to roll out my posterior chain. My calves get so tight that it messes up my gait.

Alligator
01-16-2013, 21:21
At home I use a foam pad wrapped around a 4 inch diameter pvc pipe and held tight with a nylon ladderlock strap. It works pretty well, but I still have to tighten it occasionally.

....I did similar but duct taped mine.

StealthHikerBoy
01-17-2013, 08:36
I am a runner and quite addicted to a foam roller. And, I feel a big need for it at the end of a long hiking day. However, it is not something I am willing to carry for sure. I have found that a hard water bottle, like a Nalgene, can work (best when full of water). The problem is usually finding a good place to "roll" - which is harder than it sounds in the middle of the woods.

I have taken a small version of "The Stick" with me: https://www.thestick.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=G-1750 Definitely a luxury item, but it works like a charm.

StylinLP38
01-17-2013, 11:39
My personal trainer phys therypist is going to show me how to use a Stick Roller next time. Hope it is sufficient.
BTW, when he has me doing a circuit he yells at me "Your almost to Kalahdim!"

Praha4
01-17-2013, 12:09
excellent topic. I bought my foam roller at Target, they sell them in their sporting goods section. I use it at home frequently, especially with my history of Illotibial band syndrome. I met a guy on the trail last fall who said his chiropractor suggested using a round stick for a roller on sides of his legs after each day's hike.

StylinLP38
01-17-2013, 12:52
heh good idea. A thought accured to me. Since we all hike with aluminum or carbon fiber trecking sticks they could be used as a core for a foam wrap. Since my Black Diamond carbon fiber sticks are collapsable they would be extra sturdy. I would think that the ground tarp for a tent would be a good area to perform the rolling. Shelter floors would work too I suppose...

Alligator
01-17-2013, 13:49
heh good idea. A thought accured to me. Since we all hike with aluminum or carbon fiber trecking sticks they could be used as a core for a foam wrap. Since my Black Diamond carbon fiber sticks are collapsable they would be extra sturdy. I would think that the ground tarp for a tent would be a good area to perform the rolling. Shelter floors would work too I suppose...... or a tent platform if available.

maybe clem
01-17-2013, 16:04
I use them, too. It never occurred to me to take them on a hike. I also use tennis balls for myofacsial release. A tennis ball would be easier to carry than a hard foam roller.

StylinLP38
01-17-2013, 16:40
This one is cheap, light and smaller? Maybe strap it tot he bottom or top of a pack?

Exervo Nimbus EnduraBead Pro Foam Roller 18" x 6" Full Round
http://www.amazon.com/Exervo-Nimbus-EnduraBead-Roller-Round/dp/B004JOENI8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2K6F0K4LP01V7&coliid=IS3CQMK8TXKDL

HikerMom58
01-17-2013, 16:45
This one is cheap, light and smaller? Maybe strap it tot he bottom or top of a pack?

Exervo Nimbus EnduraBead Pro Foam Roller 18" x 6" Full Round
http://www.amazon.com/Exervo-Nimbus-EnduraBead-Roller-Round/dp/B004JOENI8/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2K6F0K4LP01V7&coliid=IS3CQMK8TXKDL

Now, you're talking... that's the one I have and that's the one I'm strapping on my pack.

StylinLP38
01-17-2013, 16:52
Hey HikerMom. Can I just borrow yours each time I see you at the Shelters?! lol

Or better yet. You can rent it out each night. Bet you would make Bank :)

Rocket Jones
01-17-2013, 17:03
Now, you're talking... that's the one I have and that's the one I'm strapping on my pack.

What does it weigh?

HikerMom58
01-17-2013, 17:17
Ha Ha!! Sure you can. Maybe that's an idea for the my next trail magic item... forget about food & drinks. I should show up at shelters toting foam rollers. LOL!! I could set up a "rental booth" right beside the shelters. I could go from an ordinary trail angel to an entrepreneur. :D

StylinLP38
01-17-2013, 17:17
That information isn't anywhere but Amazon has it as a shipping weight of 1lbs. So its got to be around 12oz?

Rumbleroller Deep-Tissue Massage Roller looks like it weights the same since it is ony 5" x 12" which looks like it would fit in a backpack better.

HikerMom58
01-17-2013, 17:19
What does it weigh?

Mine weighs 12 oz.

StylinLP38
01-17-2013, 17:22
Ha Ha!! Sure you can. Maybe that's an idea for the my next trail magic item... forget about food & drinks. I should show up at shelters toting foam rollers. LOL!! I could set up a "rental booth" right beside the shelters. I could go from an ordinary trail angel to an entrepreneur. :D

Thats even better! Setup stretch out roller sites at specific points along the trail for the ideal injury reduction program. Include floor mats so hikers can relax and roll out their muscles. If your a certified physical therypist or personal trainer you would be there for instruction. Have AWOL add it to his guide lol

HikerMom58
01-17-2013, 17:43
Thats even better! Setup stretch out roller sites at specific points along the trail for the ideal injury reduction program. Include floor mats so hikers can relax and roll out their muscles. If your a certified physical therypist or personal trainer you would be there for instruction. Have AWOL add it to his guide lol

I could get certified no prob...:) Ahhh... I think we may be on to something.. let's see u are in AZ so you would need to move here while I get certified. Then, I could set up the "program" for you. You help me tweek it and we are off and running. :) I like it!!

I could, in the meantime, take "trail magic" requests for foam rollers... we could have it added to the book right away. :)

But seriously.. that foam roller is coming with me in May. :) I had thought about taking it along with me in the past but I'm just going to do it.. thanks StylinLP38. :)

TroutknuT
01-17-2013, 18:37
I have taken a small version of "The Stick" with me: https://www.thestick.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=G-1750 Definitely a luxury item, but it works like a charm.[/QUOTE]

Love me stick... Ok insert joke now! The Stick works great on upper,lower legs,neck,and back if you can find a friend. The 15 inch x 1 inch stick weighs in at only 8 oz. packs well,I use my side pocket and use it on breaks,before and after hiking. Really feels good and gets the blood flowing.