PDA

View Full Version : Down or synthetic?

Fur Queue
01-16-2013, 15:02
Folks, I am currently trying to put a kit together for myself and my teenage son who has suggested we do a SOBO hike in June or July...We have open ended plans and will just see how far we go but he is hoping for us to cover the whole of Maine....My question, after much reading and research, is do I go for an ultralight down option or go with a synthetic?...everything i have read suggests we will get a thorough wetting so im leaning towards synthetic...but i really like the weight numbers of down options...I am looking at quilts primarily, we are both 'hot' sleepers...thanks in advance for any contributions and suggestions.

Moose2001
01-16-2013, 15:13
down. Just a tiny bit of common sense will keep your down dry.

BirdBrain
01-16-2013, 15:18
Folks, I am currently trying to put a kit together for myself and my teenage son who has suggested we do a SOBO hike in June or July...We have open ended plans and will just see how far we go but he is hoping for us to cover the whole of Maine....My question, after much reading and research, is do I go for an ultralight down option or go with a synthetic?...everything i have read suggests we will get a thorough wetting so im leaning towards synthetic...but i really like the weight numbers of down options...I am looking at quilts primarily, we are both 'hot' sleepers...thanks in advance for any contributions and suggestions.

This is one of many hot button topics on Whiteblaze. I am doing the same section July. I bought synthetic, not because it is better, but because I believe I will be getting things wet. Down is lighter and offers more insulation protection per weight but cost more. Synthetic is cheaper, heavier and bit more forgiving if wet. I just am not experienced enough to be comfortable about the possibility of getting it wet.

Fur Queue
01-16-2013, 15:19

I agree....sat here at home.....but, in that case, why would anyone, budget excepted, choose synthetic over down?

Ender
01-16-2013, 15:19
Down.

For a variety of reasons, but mainly:
Lighter
Breaths better (less sweaty)
Packs smaller

Lyle
01-16-2013, 15:22
My personal choice would be down. Lighter, more compact, more breathable. It's easy to keep a down bag dry during the day - plastic liner bag inside stuff sack. It becomes a little more vulnerable while being used, but with proper precautions on site selection and attention to your surroundings, it shouldn't be a problem. Condensation inside your tent/tarp can get transferred to your bag if you are not careful. That said, it is tough to get any down item really saturated - ever try washing one? Hardest part of the job is to get the down saturated.

Air out the down every dry/sunny day either at camp or during lunch. That will help alleviate the moisture they gain from your breathing/sweating each night. If you get a chance in town to toss it in a dryer for a cycle or two - all the better. On damp days, keep it packed up until you're ready to use it. In the morning, pack it up immediately - before you go pee - and you will squeeze most of the moist air out of it before the bag cools down and the moisture condenses onto the down.

If this sounds too difficult or like too much bother (it is neither), then you may be happier with synthetic. Keep in mind though, they also loose their ability to hold warmth as they get damp, so the same precautions and practices are good policy with synthetic as well.

Comes down to personal choice - no pun intended.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!

BirdBrain
01-16-2013, 15:22
Down.

For a variety of reasons, but mainly:
Lighter
Breaths better (less sweaty)
Packs smaller

There is no arguing that the properties of down are far superior to synthetic (well... someone might argue). It is just a matter of budget and can you keep it dry.

BirdBrain
01-16-2013, 15:41
[QUOTE=Fur Queue.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... With that alias, are you sure you are the dad?

Fur Queue
01-16-2013, 15:47
My personal choice would be down. Lighter, more compact, more breathable. It's easy to keep a down bag dry during the day - plastic liner bag inside stuff sack. It becomes a little more vulnerable while being used, but with proper precautions on site selection and attention to your surroundings, it shouldn't be a problem. Condensation inside your tent/tarp can get transferred to your bag if you are not careful. That said, it is tough to get any down item really saturated - ever try washing one? Hardest part of the job is to get the down saturated.

Air out the down every dry/sunny day either at camp or during lunch. That will help alleviate the moisture they gain from your breathing/sweating each night. If you get a chance in town to toss it in a dryer for a cycle or two - all the better. On damp days, keep it packed up until you're ready to use it. In the morning, pack it up immediately - before you go pee - and you will squeeze most of the moist air out of it before the bag cools down and the moisture condenses onto the down.

If this sounds too difficult or like too much bother (it is neither), then you may be happier with synthetic. Keep in mind though, they also loose their ability to hold warmth as they get damp, so the same precautions and practices are good policy with synthetic as well.

Comes down to personal choice - no pun intended.

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!

This is excellent informational and advice! Thank you!

Fur Queue
01-16-2013, 16:17
Hmmm... With that alias, are you sure you are the dad?

We enjoy puns and word games in our house...and we don't mind telling it like it is when necessary. :)

Ender
01-16-2013, 16:37
There is no arguing that the properties of down are far superior to synthetic (well... someone might argue). It is just a matter of budget and can you keep it dry.

Yeah, budget is definitely a consideration. Especially with the high end bags, which cost a small fortune. They're worth it though, if you can afford it. That said, Campmor used to sell a down bag that was very affordable, and didn't skimp on quality. It wasn't the lightest of the light down bag, but it was still light. I wish they still sold that.

As far as getting a bag wet, I'd say for hiking on the AT it's not really a consideration. It's really pretty easy to keep your bag dry with just a little precaution. On rainy days keep it in your pack, in its stuff sack, in a garbage bag. It works very well. And at night, most modern bags are made of shell materials that are really pretty good at repelling water. For example, I woke up in a shelter down south with a puddle a half inch deep and 8 inches long on top of my sleeping bag (there was a leak in the roof of the shelter). I brushed off the puddle, moved over two feet, and went back to sleep. The water never really penetrated my bag, so the down continued to loft. And on sunny days, I would take the bag out to dry during my breaks.

But that's what worked for me. Others could have very different experiences.

BirdBrain
01-16-2013, 17:09
Yeah, budget is definitely a consideration. Especially with the high end bags, which cost a small fortune. They're worth it though, if you can afford it. That said, Campmor used to sell a down bag that was very affordable, and didn't skimp on quality. It wasn't the lightest of the light down bag, but it was still light. I wish they still sold that.

As far as getting a bag wet, I'd say for hiking on the AT it's not really a consideration. It's really pretty easy to keep your bag dry with just a little precaution. On rainy days keep it in your pack, in its stuff sack, in a garbage bag. It works very well. And at night, most modern bags are made of shell materials that are really pretty good at repelling water. For example, I woke up in a shelter down south with a puddle a half inch deep and 8 inches long on top of my sleeping bag (there was a leak in the roof of the shelter). I brushed off the puddle, moved over two feet, and went back to sleep. The water never really penetrated my bag, so the down continued to loft. And on sunny days, I would take the bag out to dry during my breaks.

But that's what worked for me. Others could have very different experiences.

I suspect I will look back at a lot of these posts and say, "I should have just listened". I went as light as I could, while allowing for the stupid factor. What I mean is I keep hearing, "you can keep it dry". My brain keeps telling me, "they can, but you can't".

Ender
01-16-2013, 17:18
I suspect I will look back at a lot of these posts and say, "I should have just listened". I went as light as I could, while allowing for the stupid factor. What I mean is I keep hearing, "you can keep it dry". My brain keeps telling me, "they can, but you can't".

:) No worries. It's not like synthetic is a wrong choice, just a different choice.

Feral Bill
01-16-2013, 17:19
A couple of synthetic bags are among the few things I have ever returned to REI. Besides the things said above. Good down lasts for years and years, while synthetics slowly lose loft and warmth over time. If you are contemplating trips in the future, go for the down.

swamp dawg
01-16-2013, 17:47
I have used both kinds of bags hiking in Maine in summer months. Just make sure you have a well sealed tent because down does not take getting wet all that well. One thing you can be sure of is that you will get more than your share of rain in Maine. Down bags really require a dryer and a couple of tennis ball to restore the loft of the bag. Synthetic just need a sunny spot to dry out. You may not need a real low temp. rated bag since Maine seems to have one month of summer at this time of year That said, down is much lighter and eaiser to stuff in your pack and HYOH. swamp dawg

Fur Queue
01-16-2013, 17:55
I have used both kinds of bags hiking in Maine in summer months. Just make sure you have a well sealed tent because down does not take getting wet all that well. One thing you can be sure of is that you will get more than your share of rain in Maine. Down bags really require a dryer and a couple of tennis ball to restore the loft of the bag. Synthetic just need a sunny spot to dry out. You may not need a real low temp. rated bag since Maine seems to have one month of summer at this time of year That said, down is much lighter and eaiser to stuff in your pack and HYOH. swamp dawg

I was thinking of a 30 degree quilt with clothing options? Brilliant and solid input everyone!

staehpj1
01-16-2013, 18:03
I agree....sat here at home.....but, in that case, why would anyone, budget excepted, choose synthetic over down?
I prefer down, but use synthetic when sharing a tent with my down allergic daughter. So that is one possible reason.

Slo-go'en
01-16-2013, 18:14
Well, I'm sure glad I took my synthetic bag when I sectioned Virginia a few years back during the month of May when it rained 5 days out of 7 for a month. It's not so much the rain, but the high humidity, mist and fog, combined with the natural mosture from the body while you sleep and everything being continually damp which gets you. Without frequent sunny days to air and dry everything out, it's a loosing battle.

A synthetic bag is just lower mantinance, at the expense of slightly greater weight and bulk. Since June tends to be wetter then July in Maine, I would lean synthetic for June and down for July.

Synthetic bags can slowly loose thier loft over time, but down bags can also slowly loose thier feathers. I seem to have a couple pop out between the seams everytime I take it out of the stuff sack. I try to push them back in if I can, but usually they won't go back.

SassyWindsor
01-16-2013, 21:48
Down, unless kayaking or canoing. Pack in dry-bag.

Sarcasm the elf
01-16-2013, 22:00

Well said, down wins, no contest. Lighter, warmer, more comfortable, much more durable. I just retired my first down bag which has twenty three plus years of use on it, a synthetic bag would have been useless within the first decade.

It just takes a bit of common sense and a dry stuff sack for when it's in your pack, I recommend one from Sea to Summit. Most new bags also have a water resistant (not waterproof) coating on the outside, which will help a bit with your worry.

leaftye
01-16-2013, 22:05

Less expensive as you said. It also allows a high level of carelessness. With the homeless people I've been around, synthetic bags are perfect for them because they have little regard for taking care of their gear and using that gear well. If you are willing and able to learn and adapt, then go with down insulation.

Mags
01-17-2013, 00:30
My own take on sleeping bags, quilts and down vs synthetic. I tend to write about things that come up frequently.. :)
http://www.pmags.com/sleeping-bags-a-quick-and-dirty-overview

To sum it all up is Garlic's statement: "Down is always better...except when synthetic is better" ;)

Chaco Taco
01-17-2013, 08:44
dry sack, down, always dry

Feral Bill
01-17-2013, 13:03
Summary. Either will work. Take your pick.

Deadpete
01-17-2013, 17:56
I own a WarBonnet 3 season down top quilt and love it. In my pack I keep it in an 8L dry sack, and there's enough room for a liner, and long underwear top and bottom.

Strongly consider getting a down bag or quilt, and a synthetic jacket 'just in case.'

Tinker
01-17-2013, 19:18

All the sleeping bags I use for hiking are down. Most of the clothing I have for hiking is not. Reason being that a sleeping bag is easier to protect from rain than clothing, since it will (hopefully) be used under a waterproof canopy with a waterproof floor (or a user who knows how to judge drainage in case of rain). I use down clothing for winter overnighters. I use polyester or wool underwear and fleece mid layer garments because they can be wrung out nearly dry and will dry quickly afterwards vs. down or more expensive synthetic filler fibers with windproof outer (and usually inner) layers. You don't have the option to not use the outer and inner layers on either down or synthetic loose fiber filled garments, and you can wear a wind shell over any piece of clothing that you have if you have a separate windshell (I prefer not to use raingear as wind wear - I sweat too much and drench my clothing).

If you are going sobo, I can say that the summertime is perhaps the best time to carry a synthetic sleeping bag. Why? As you make the bag thicker for colder weather, the difference in weight between down and synthetic increases exponentially (not to mention the space that the synthetic takes up). Besides, you're more likely to get your sleeping bag wet in warm weather because you won't be overly zealous on your protection of it (as you should be in the winter).

I have a synthetic bag for summer (and sleep-overs) which weighs 1-1/2 lb. and is supposedly good down to 50F. In contrast, I have a down filled summer bag that is about the same dimensions, is rated to 40 degrees, and weighs exactly one pound (not to mention it has a full length zipper which lets me use it as a quilt when it's too warm for a wrap-around bag). It is truly a 40 degree bag, and I have used it down to 35 degrees with a light jacket and been fine. I can't say the same for the synthetic bag. It is truly a 50 degree bag - and it's heavier and bulkier, too (but it cost me 1/4 the price of the down bag).

If you're pretty sure you'll get your bag wet, carry synthetic. If you're not an experienced hiker (not camper), get synthetic.

Once you get the hang of packing and unpacking in miserable conditions, and are sure of your ability to provide yourself with reliably dry shelter you should, if you are in your right mind, look for down alternatives.

Another thing - down "drapes" better than synthetics, following the contours of your body more closely, cutting off channels where cold air can enter or warm air leaves.

Don't get a hole in your down bag (you probably will, eventually). Keep duct tape handy. You should see my winter down coat :p.

One more very important note about synthetics - do not leave them in their stuffsacks for any longer than absolutely necessary. The best synthetic fibers will not rebound as well as down and will lose their ability to do so much faster. Add heat (a hot car trunk, an attic, etc.) and you can kill the loft of a synth. bag quickly.

If at all possible, wash your synth. bag in warm water with a warm or cool rinse - never hot - for the same reason, and, by the mercies of God, please do not dry your synthetic bag in a hot dryer (and air dry if possible) -for the same reason. Your bag will thank you.