PDA

View Full Version : How important are mail drops.

Dolphin Man
01-16-2013, 16:15
Can you thru hike the AT without mail drops.
If you have no support person can you buy your supplies along the way?

Moose2001
01-16-2013, 16:36
Yes

Yes

Go to the WB homepage. On the left side, click on the link labeled resupply. Read the documents. You can find a good resupply strategy that gives you multiple options.

matt923
01-16-2013, 16:36
I have not thru hiked yet but have hiked several sections, and never had a problem buying supplies along my routes. That's either good or bad, depending on your point of view.

Cookerhiker
01-16-2013, 17:36

Welcome to WB:welcome. As you become more familiar with the site, you'll notice there are many specialized forums and subforums addressing particular needs. I note that you posted this inquiry in the overused "General" forum but there's scads of info in the Mail Drops forum here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?353-Mail-Drops). Good luck with your planning!

Lone Wolf
01-16-2013, 18:06

yes and yes. i've done 5 thru-hikes and many long distance sections. i never had a food mail drop

brian039
01-16-2013, 18:50
You won't need food maildrops but most people switch out cold-gear for warm-gear in Pearisburg, VA then vice-versa in Glencliff, NH.

shelb
01-16-2013, 19:10
Pick up a copy of the A.T. Guide: A Handbook for Hiking the Appalachian Trail by David "Awol" Miller. It includes detailed information on where food may be bought along the trail and at stores near the trail.

Dolphin Man
01-17-2013, 09:50
yes and yes. i've done 5 thru-hikes and many long distance sections. i never had a food mail drop

Good to know. I'm planning on leaving this year end of March but have no support from home.

Papa D
01-17-2013, 13:13
I relied heavily on mail drops in the 80s - - now, the only thing you need to drop is change out gear (cold to warm weather sleeping bag, clothing, etc.) and possibly specialty items that you can't easily buy in town. This sort of thing might include specialty foods you want (protein shake powder?, contact lenses?, medicine?, replacement gear). This sort of gear is best sent by a home-base person like a family member or friend that you call along the way. I think that the days of Mom's dining room (in my case) staged with 20 mail drop boxes and dates to send are pretty much passe for the AT since there are so many shopping opportunities - - nearly every gas station along the trail profits off trail traffic and sells backpacking appropriate groceries and supplies which cheaper and more convenient than receiving shipments along the way and being tied into getting into such and such town by a certain time and waiting on a post office to open, etc.