PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag for April section hike?

The Dave
01-16-2013, 16:28
This April, I'll be doing a 10-day section hike of the AT from Springer to the NOC, starting the second week of the month. Of my sleeping options, I'm a little uncertain about which to take, and so I'm looking for some guidance.

Here's what I have right now:

A Western Mountaineering Versalite, rated to 10 degrees. This is the heaviest of my options, but it's warm, warm, warm. May be overkill, though.
A Mountainsmith Wisp, rated to 30 degrees. A solid bag that I've owned for several years.
A Jacks R Better Shenandoah quilt, rated to 45 degrees. Very light, but unlikely to do the job in chilly mountain weather.
There is a fourth option: combining the Wisp with the quilt as a liner. Would give me a little more flexibility depending on the weather.

Of these choices, which would you recommend? I realize that, to a large extent, the answer is, it depends. But given weather that falls generally within the range of average conditions for that time of year (and giving me a little buffer in case things are colder than expected), which would you pick?

A few additional things to note:

I generally sleep neither warm nor cold; as far as I can tell, i sleep about average.
I will also have a Montbell down inner jacket with me to bolster my bag's warmth. I'd estimate it gives me about five extra degrees of warmth.
I'll be tarping, so the few extra degrees of warmth a tent affords won't be available to me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Moose2001
01-16-2013, 16:33
take the WM. There will be nights you're glad you have it!

flemdawg1
01-16-2013, 16:33
I used a 40 deg Golite the first week of april in that section 2 yrs ago. I got chilly twice when the temps dipped under 30 and I wore my down jacket, wind shirt, long johns. in my quilt, after a half hour of shivering I finally settled in to sleep.

moldy
01-16-2013, 17:33
Decide at the last minute. The day before you depart check the 15 day weather forecast. Base your decision on whether it's gonna be hotter than normal or colder than normal.

The Dave
01-22-2013, 11:10
Thanks to all for the replies. Moldy, I figured that was probably the best approach--waiting until a day or two before the trip and making the decision then--but I was trying to get a general sense to help in preparation.

Creek Dancer
01-22-2013, 12:00
I would go with the WM bag. I wouldn't rely on a 15 day forecast for more than the first few days. Weather can still be very changable in April.

max patch
01-22-2013, 12:08
No brainer. WM bag.

bigcranky
01-22-2013, 14:12
Yeah, +1 on the Versalite. That would be my choice, anyway, given what you have. I sleep warm and could maybe get away with my overstuffed Megalite, but why chance it on a longer hike? You're likely to get several very cold nights.

The Dave
01-27-2013, 15:05
Thanks, all. I appreciate your advice.