PDA

View Full Version : A Walk In The Woods

TheBigHiker
01-16-2013, 17:34
Does anyone else find reading other people's failures on the AT distracting? Maybe because I'm 42, but I don't want to hear about how some guy, no matter how good of writer/researcher, failed or was overcome by the task at hand. It gets me down and I feel like there are going to be plenty of times on the AT where I'm going to need my own positive reinforcement to continue. I don't know for some reason this just bugs me. :)

Slo-go'en
01-16-2013, 18:27
Knowing what causes some people to fail is as important as knowing how others succeed.

Failures are often better teachers and more interesting stories.

kayak karl
01-16-2013, 18:35
his hike was not a failure. i think he accomplished what he wanted to do.

BirdBrain
01-16-2013, 18:42
Does anyone else find reading other people's failures on the AT distracting?

It is a matter of perspective. I would suggest that the bears succeeded several times in his book.

MuddyWaters
01-16-2013, 18:58
No failures, he set out to hike, with limited time to do so.
And thats what he did.
Then wrote an immensly popular, entertaining book about it.
A book which has likely spawned more people to hike on the AT than anything else.
A book, which reader should assume had some literary license taken in it.

The fact that it bothers you, should bother you.

Southerner
01-16-2013, 19:12
I was disappointed with Bill Bryson's book, despite the fact that it is well-written and entertaining. I knew before reading it that he had not finished the entire trail, but what surprised me was how little of the trail he did finish -- well short of even half (I think he finished around 870 miles). It's hard to believe that A Walk in the Woods is probably the most popularly read book on the AT hiking experience when the author really wasn't on enough of the trail to even get the full experience. In fairness, Bryson never claimed to be documenting a through-hike and he can't be blamed for apparently great marketing. Further, since the average person even intending to through-hike doesn't finish, it does make Bryson's experience more typical, just by definition. Still, it was a let-down that a book that some people in the public-at-large consider synonymous with the trail itself offered more opinions about the USFS, NPS, ecology, and environmental policy than it did about life on the AT.

And, to the OP, if stories about hikers not making it is a source of discouragement (which is understandable), try focusing on trail journals for those who did make it. I know TJ allows you to sort by "completed thru-hikes."

Kernel
01-16-2013, 19:34
Another good book about hiking failures is "Not without peril". Lots to learn.

Josh Calhoun
01-16-2013, 19:45
i dont mind reading a book about failing the AT. but i do consider a walk in the woods as one of the worst AT books i have read. disliked it from begining to end.

lobotomized
01-16-2013, 19:46
He absolutely intended to thu-hike.... In fact, he even went so far as to tell the entire town he lived in that he was thru-hiking... When that failed (before he hit Virginia) he settled on attempting the 100 mile wilderness and he didn't even end up finishing THAT. To top it off, he claims at the end, in a philosophical sense, he had seen and hiked everything the AT had to offer and finishes the book with the conclusion that he hiked the Appalachian Trail. To the OP, I didn't particularly care for this book either. If you're looking for a good read about a thru-hike check out David Millers AWOL on the Appalachian Trail.

rocketsocks
01-16-2013, 19:48
Does anyone else find reading other people's failures on the AT distracting? Maybe because I'm 42, but I don't want to hear about how some guy, no matter how good of writer/researcher, failed or was overcome by the task at hand. It gets me down and I feel like there are going to be plenty of times on the AT where I'm going to need my own positive reinforcement to continue. I don't know for some reason this just bugs me. :)Nope :)

Tree Nerd
01-16-2013, 20:39
No failures, he set out to hike, with limited time to do so.
And thats what he did.
Then wrote an immensly popular, entertaining book about it.
A book which has likely spawned more people to hike on the AT than anything else.
A book, which reader should assume had some literary license taken in it.

The fact that it bothers you, should bother you.

+1....i really enjoyed his book. It was the first book that I ever read that I actually laughed out loud....more than a hand full of time. That book was actually the first time I ever heard about the Appalachian Trail and is the reason I got so interested in the AT and I am attempting a thru hike SOBO in 2013.

If you looking for good AT books try:
End to Ending - Which is basically a trail journal, pretty interesting.
AWOL on the Appalachian Trail - Very informative and interesting. Good book.
Becoming Odyessa - About a woman's experience on the AT. Very good!

My all time favorite and one that I'm currently reading is Becoming Odyessa. I read over two hundred pages in two days, between class and before bed. I cant put this book down! Its written well and inspirational. She talks about all the ups and downs she experiences on the trail and how she changed throughout her thru. Im going to finish it tonight before I go to bed.

Another book that is just information about hiking and gear is The Complete Walker IV. I am not an expert or super experienced backpacker, but this book has helped me out a ton with picking out gear appropriate for my needs and it taught me so much more about backpacking, gear, and possible problems faced while backpacking.

Northern Lights
01-16-2013, 20:44
He absolutely intended to thu-hike.... In fact, he even went so far as to tell the entire town he lived in that he was thru-hiking... When that failed (before he hit Virginia) he settled on attempting the 100 mile wilderness and he didn't even end up finishing THAT. To top it off, he claims at the end, in a philosophical sense, he had seen and hiked everything the AT had to offer and finishes the book with the conclusion that he hiked the Appalachian Trail. To the OP, I didn't particularly care for this book either. If you're looking for a good read about a thru-hike check out David Millers AWOL on the Appalachian Trail.

+1 on the book not being a particularly good read. It took me weeks to finish it and the only reason I finished it was because I always finish a book regardless. All sorts of people told me how great a book it was, and I was disappointed. Definately read AWOL on the AT and In beauty may she walk. Those are two of my favorites. Working on the barefoot sisters books right now.

Turk6177
01-16-2013, 20:46
I get what you are saying. I felt somewhat the same about Bryson's book as well. If you remember that the journey is the destination, then I would say that he did not fail. I also agree with others that AWOL's book by David Miller seems to capture the best ups and downs of the trail. I really look forward to reading people's trail journals every year. I feel like I get the best representation (good and bad) from those. It almost always brings tears to my eyes when I follow someone all the way through and I read about the day they finish at Katahdin or Springer. Let's face it, until I retire and get the opportunity to hike the whole trail (as opposed to week long hikes on the trail once a year) all I have are others accounts. I am not going to critique anyone's attempts. I just appreciate anyone that shares their journey. I am a huge cheerleader from afar for everyone's journal that I read.

leaftye
01-16-2013, 20:50
I don't see many books on very successful thru hikers. Ray Jardine is one of the very few I know of. I'd like to read something by the record holders. That might be tough though. With their pressure, they're not likely to record much during their hike, and might be too exhausted to remember much. Even so, I'd love it if Scott Williamson wrote a book about what it takes for him to do what he does. I had hoped for more from Andrew Skurka, but his book is more of a beginner's guide than for someone that hopes to be an elite hiker.

jesse
01-16-2013, 20:52
I liked it. Only AT book I ever read. I've also read some of his other books. All good.

Half-trac
01-16-2013, 21:28
Bill and Katz underestimated the AT. But wanted to share experience. And ended up hiking their own hike. Still liked the book.

bobp
01-16-2013, 21:41
If you read A Walk in the Woods and expect it to be about hiking the AT, you will probably be disappointed. If you read the book and expect it to be about middle age, friendship, dealing with high hopes and middling realities, and doing a bit of walking, you might enjoy it. I'm middle-aged, so I can relate to having great, grand plans in life turn out to yield merely pretty good results. Don't expect Bryson to be Andrew Skurka or even Colin Fletcher.

Akela
01-16-2013, 21:51
AWOL on the Appalachian Trail - Very informative and interesting. Good book.
Becoming Odyessa - About a woman's experience on the AT. Very good!

These are also my kind of books.
I am enjoying now AWOL and I agree it is very informative.
Becoming Odyssa was very good.
I also enjoyed "A Walk for Sunshine-Jeff Alt" with a great last chapter about lessons learned on the trail
(http://www.jeffalt.com/awalkforsunshine3.asp)

l84toff
01-16-2013, 22:15
Does anyone else find reading other people's failures on the AT distracting? Maybe because I'm 42, but I don't want to hear about how some guy, no matter how good of writer/researcher, failed or was overcome by the task at hand. It gets me down and I feel like there are going to be plenty of times on the AT where I'm going to need my own positive reinforcement to continue. I don't know for some reason this just bugs me. :)

Distracting - nope! He hiked his own hike, most here preach it, can't really fault him for it. He states he hiked the AT, he did in fact hike the AT.

Personally I found the book entertaining, I learned a little more about the trail and quite frankly about what not to do while on it. I had no preconceived notions or expectations of the book and took it for what it was - a good read.

As for reading a about other people's failures from TJ's or elsewhere, I can't say I feel any different. I feel like it's an opportunity for me to learn from someone else's experience, frankly I appreciate that. Success or failure for that matter isn't always easily defined.

The Old Chief
01-16-2013, 22:17
Whether or not A Walk In The Woods was a good book to posters on this forum, the book was an overwhelming success on any level you choose to measure a book. Over 40 weeks on the New York Times Best Seller List with the movie rights secured by Robert Redford. Literally millions of copies of the book have been sold and it's still available on the bookshelves of most bookstores and outfitter stores, including many along the AT. You can't say that about any other book written about the AT. Bryson does do a lot of preaching about the environment in most of his books, that's what he does. He's never written a kind word in any of his books about Gatlinburg, which should endear him to most posters on Whiteblaze. If the OP lets the "failed" attempts of others influence his hike he might as well stay home. From Georgia to Pennsylvania he'll see plenty of "failure" as hikers go home for many different reasons other than being able to accomplish the "task at hand."

Emerson Bigills
01-16-2013, 22:19
I have read the book twice and find Bryson very humorous and obviously a great writer. I do have some gripes about him as a prospective AT thru hiker. For an educated man that spent considerable time learning the history of the trail and geology of the area, he never grasped any concept of the trail culture, nor simple fundamentals that increase one's chances for success. Picking a partner before he leaves is not the smartest move, but picking a former aquaintance from decades before that has no interest in hiking and is grossly out of shape, only confirms his ignorance of proper preparation or just an indignant attitude that he will succeed.

I never felt that Bryson succeeded or even attempted to develop relationships with the other hikers. From what I have read on this site and talking with people attempting thru's, those relationships are the most enduring aspect of their journey.

If Bryson, as Muddy presents, only wanted to have a subject for yet another best selling book, then he succeeded. I must confess that I relish in the thought it was our southern mountains that wore down the condescending elitest, who took great pride in demeaning those on the trail and many of the locals that support the hiking community. I would say Karma is a bit__, but Bryson laughed all the way to the bank.

Astro
01-16-2013, 23:19
Knowing what causes some people to fail is as important as knowing how others succeed.

Failures are often better teachers and more interesting stories.

Once had a computer programming teacher who would get excited when you mad a mistake. As he would work with you to correct it he would say that this how you really learn things. Said he felt sorry for the preferect striaght A students who never made a mistake, because they never learned anything.

Astro
01-16-2013, 23:21

Yeah, he made a lot of money and increased his number of readers and reputation.

Great writer, just not much inspiration for a thru-hiker and often accused of getting loose with the facts.

Papa D
01-16-2013, 23:36
Book was funny enough. I still think it's over-rated by a lot. To be honest, it was essentially about some ill prepared yellow-blazers. Read the "barefoot sisters" books instead IMO

Fur Queue
01-16-2013, 23:59
I can't hear a bad word said about this book. My 15 year old son came to this book via my recommendation of another Bryson tome....he made me read it....and told me thats what he wanted to do next (now this) year...we had never hiked before!...I can't tell you how brilliant it is when your kid comes to you with a ridiculous and crazy idea...that might just be possible.....and it awakes the old adventurer in you! My former madcap travels were more exotic and much less taxing but I am now totally inspired and knee deep in packages and research material...we have a long way to go, lots of prep, but we have the time and the inspiration thanks to Bill Bryson! What a failure! :)

starbright
01-17-2013, 00:34
I liked A Walk in the Woods because even though he didn't complete a thru he did what he set out to do hike the AT even though it was'nt all of it. I enjoyed the history that he gave through out the book about different places along the AT. A lot of the history I knew from school but didn't know how much of it occured along the AT. They don't give all that info in school. All in all it was a great book when you needed a laugh.

Spirit Bear
01-17-2013, 00:38

My opinion of his book, and I will tell him if I ever meet him. He made a deal to write a book about thru hiking the AT before he started. He quit #1 at clingmans dome then quit #2 after shanendoah, then #3 in the 100 mile wilderness. Because he made the commitment to write the book with his publisher he filled 50% of the book with crap, research to make the book as interesting as he could. If him and kats finished the hike it would be an epic book and story. but it isnt.

lobotomized
01-17-2013, 00:43
My opinion of his book, and I will tell him if I ever meet him. He made a deal to write a book about thru hiking the AT before he started. He quit #1 at clingmans dome then quit #2 after shanendoah, then #3 in the 100 mile wilderness. Because he made the commitment to write the book with his publisher he filled 50% of the book with crap, research to make the book as interesting as he could. If him and kats finished the hike it would be an epic book and story. but it isnt.

Spot on. And he tries to justify quitting the whole way

lkn4air
01-17-2013, 03:16
Does anyone else find reading other people's failures on the AT distracting? Maybe because I'm 42, but I don't want to hear about how some guy, no matter how good of writer/researcher, failed or was overcome by the task at hand. It gets me down and I feel like there are going to be plenty of times on the AT where I'm going to need my own positive reinforcement to continue. I don't know for some reason this just bugs me. :) to answer that question no doesn't bother me to read about the failed thru hikes. as stated before failures have more important info. as far as the book goes parts were funny but really didn't like the book. i dont know what Bill is really like but he comes across in the book as an elitest snob. dont care that he didn't thru hike the trail. though that is what he set out to do. makes it like most people that try a thru hike? about 80% failure rate right. I also like to say failing a thru hike attempt does make someone a failure.

lkn4air
01-17-2013, 03:24
to answer that question no doesn't bother me to read about the failed thru hikes. as stated before failures have more important info. as far as the book goes parts were funny but really didn't like the book. i dont know what Bill is really like but he comes across in the book as an elitest snob. dont care that he didn't thru hike the trail. though that is what he set out to do. makes it like most people that try a thru hike? about 80% failure rate right. I also like to say failing a thru hike attempt does make someone a failure. OOPS i meant does not make you a failure. Most people don't have the stones to even give such a daunting task an attempt.

Kingbee
01-17-2013, 12:05
For a real twist, read "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon ", by Stephen King.

kofritz
01-17-2013, 12:32
I thoroughly enjoyed a Walk in the Woods. I did not conclude the AT effort was a failure but was just another non-complete AT-HYOH. there were plenty of funnies that are opposite of some of the hard efforts required to cover the AT. i was just disappointed how upper ET was dissed. the upper ET sections were totally beautiful and the people wonderful, based on my experience. i loved the Mountain Marching Mamas book and will read the Odyessa book soon....

TheBigHiker
01-17-2013, 14:02
Ok... I didn't think this thread would take off like this. I should clarify a bit here, before I continue to sound like I'm whining. The thing that really got me was how many people told me I HAD to read the book because he hiked the AT. One woman told me he hiked the whole thing. My wife's cousin said it was highly recommended reading. I did enjoy the book. Actually I'm about 4/5 of the way through and will finish it today. I just felt like it was kind of a dismal experience on a lot of levels. I laughed many times. There were funny parts when they were hiking, but I just found it sad that he drove to these places and hiked. I was pretty massively disappointed they blew off Damascus. I wanted to hear his take on it. I simply didn't understand why everyone said this was such a MUST READ!

Anyway I have to say this is why I love this forum. It gives me so much perspective I can't even begin to give enough thanks. From the person who said I should just stay home if something like this bothers me without knowing anything about me really to the people who completely agree with me about this book, every single opinion expressed here has taught me something. Here is what I learned.

1. Worry about myself.

2. Hike my own hike and don't judge others.

3. Others may judge me but it's my own hike, worry about myself etc.

4. stay on my path and do what I need to do.

5. believe in myself.

6. Failure is in the eye of the participant, as in only the hiker themselves can say whether or not they failed.

I've had to adjust my expectations. Initially I was convinced I would start out going 12-14 miles a day. Now I plan to get into it more slowly and go about 8. After walking up mountains here in the Seattle area, I know what it means to climb 1200 feet and go down 1200 feet. My first day will have more elevation change than that. Probably the main thing I took from the book is they kept going even if they were ill-prepared and didn't have a clue. Thanks everyone. :)

Deadeye
01-17-2013, 14:11
If you read A Walk in the Woods and expect it to be about hiking the AT, you will probably be disappointed. If you read the book and expect it to be about middle age, friendship, dealing with high hopes and middling realities, and doing a bit of walking, you might enjoy it. I'm middle-aged, so I can relate to having great, grand plans in life turn out to yield merely pretty good results. Don't expect Bryson to be Andrew Skurka or even Colin Fletcher.

+1 And considering how many people start a thru-hike and don't manage to finish, the book very successfully depicted that aspect of hiking the trail.

Dogwood
01-17-2013, 15:05
I'm growing tired of opinions that rehash and beat to death Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods." It's time to over analyze a new book written BY ME. It's titled "A Trek In The Woods." It's in bookstores now. Or, send me $19.95 and I'll mail you an autographed copy.

Feral Bill
01-17-2013, 15:32
Bryson is a respected professional writer, AWITW, and its success, shows this. Honestly, his portrayal of trail life is very close to what I read on Whiteblaze and elsewhere. That said, there are a bunch of AT books to read. First stop, The Barefoot Sisters.

Spirit Bear
01-17-2013, 15:43
A walk in the woods is a good book for someone that has no interest in hiking the AT. Everyone who really loves that book sees hikers the way Bryson sees them. Also the depiction of the south was a bit over the top however I did laugh at the part with the ride into Hiawassee in the Comoro.

I thought he was spot on with the REI outdoor sales guys though and the gear geeks you run into in shelters. That place in Franklen, I have never been to though but want to check it out the first chance I get.

Im still a thru hiker wanna bee though, got the fever in January of 2012 on my first day hike up to big ceder mtn.

Miner
01-17-2013, 17:29
That book opened my eyes to how you could actually thru-hike a long trail rather then just doing short sections at a time. The first time I read it, I found it pretty entertaining though was kind of disappointed that he didn't finish. However, many years later, after having done a thru-hike of the PCT and was thinking about doing the AT I picked it up again to read. I didn't enjoy it nearly as much. I had changed to much to appreciate many aspects of the book. Still think its worth reading, but not the best book out there if you want to know what thru-hiking is like.

TheBigHiker
01-17-2013, 18:14
I'm growing tired of opinions that rehash and beat to death Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods." It's time to over analyze a new book written BY ME. It's titled "A Trek In The Woods." It's in bookstores now. Or, send me $19.95 and I'll mail you an autographed copy.

Sounds amazing. :) I'll check it out.

Tinker
01-17-2013, 18:55

Right on the money (like Bryson is all about the money). He hiked on the AT to write a book about hiking the AT. He made lots of folks laugh. He made his money. He moved on. :rolleyes:

Slo-go'en
01-17-2013, 19:00
And it's now how many years since the book came out? A whole bunch and we're still talking about it.

Mountain Mike
01-17-2013, 19:20
And it's now how many years since the book came out? A whole bunch and we're still talking about it.

It's that time of year.

Tinker
01-17-2013, 19:27

Probably the best gauge of its success.

hikingirl
01-17-2013, 19:41
I have to agree with tree nerd that a Walk in the Woods was my first book about the AT and why I am attempting it this yr.
Oydessa's book was great as well. AWOL is very informative. A Walk for Sunshine was great as well. There have only been a couple books that I have not enjoyed and they were by women. I will not mention them. There are a lot of books out there. I have learned a lot from these books.

tds1195
01-17-2013, 20:06
I'm reading it now and find it to be a good read when he's on the trail, mediocre otherwise. I don't get put down by his adventures, though - to each his own!

Del Q
01-17-2013, 21:27
When I read (part of) it I was seeking experience and knowledge............clear miss on both parts

A few years later I read the whole book, found it to be well-written and pretty funny. Bill Bryson is a good writer.

Sadly, Robert Redford and Paul Newman did not get to do the movie because I was looking forward to trash cans and upscale vending machines at every road crossing. Everything a dollar to save weight.

mfleming
01-17-2013, 22:07
I like the grizzly bear on the book cover

daddytwosticks
01-18-2013, 08:29
Read the book sometime in the late '90's I think. Rekindled my interest in hiking. Very funny and enjoyable read. :)

Tree Nerd
01-18-2013, 14:46
I have to agree with tree nerd that a Walk in the Woods was my first book about the AT and why I am attempting it this yr.

My bad...it is not the reason I am now hiking the AT but it was the first time i heard about the AT and it got me interested in the AT....After reading several other books on the AT I decided I'm going to hike it.....regardless, a good read.

tds1195
01-18-2013, 15:12
My bad...it is not the reason I am now hiking the AT but it was the first time i heard about the AT and it got me interested in the AT....After reading several other books on the AT I decided I'm going to hike it.....regardless, a good read.

What book pumped you up for the AT most?

Tree Nerd
01-18-2013, 15:37
What book pumped you up for the AT most?

I wouldn't say one book got me pumped up the most, it was a combo of several books. My favorite so far is the one I just finished yesterday, Becoming Odyessa. I really liked how she explained her ups and downs along the trail along with how she changed and how her prospective on everything changed throughout her hike. Now that time is getting so close to attempting my Thru, it was just inspirational to me.

scope
01-18-2013, 15:46

I agree. However, I have yet to read one by someone who finished where I liked the ending. Telling, no? I think WITW is a much more complete book in many ways than any I've read from others who did finish.

scope
01-18-2013, 15:49
I agree. However, I have yet to read one by someone who finished where I liked the ending. Telling, no? I think WITW is a much more complete book in many ways than any I've read from others who did finish.

I did read 'Wild' recently, which is a PCT book, but one in which the author did finish and has good writing ability as well. The author's beginning on the PCT reminded me of Bryson's start on the AT.

RockDoc
01-18-2013, 16:09
Bryson is not a serious man. He is a humorist and his writing is entertainment. And he is extremely good at that.
Try reading Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, Australia, or the amazing Short History of Nearly Everything.

Travelling to Australia after reading Australia would be about like hiking the AT after reading Walk in the woods. A good laugh, mainly, with an element of truth, but mostly the kind of creative humorist writing that made Mark Twain famous over 100 years ago.

"Atlas"
01-20-2013, 18:04
I have heard that his hiking partner was Fictional. A way for him to vent his inner ID. Anyone know for certain?

mfleming
01-20-2013, 23:02
He had a real hiking partner, a friend from his youth. He used his friend as a basis for a fictional character in a book that was not represented as being mon-fiction

drifter
01-20-2013, 23:28
It's one of the books I pull off the shelf every 2-3 years, good for a couple laughs. I never really gave it a thought as to whether it ended as a success or failure. Agree with previous posts there are 10-15 really good inspiring books out there about completed hikes all with their own element of drive, determination, dififculties etc.

daddytwosticks
01-21-2013, 16:02
I have heard that his hiking partner was Fictional. A way for him to vent his inner ID. Anyone know for certain? According to Wes Wisson, Bryson did have a partner with him when he got his ride from the airport to Amicalola. :)

q-tip
01-22-2013, 12:46
Failure to complete a task and failure are two completely different things. Failure to complete a task can teach us many things about ourself, Failure is not gaining in understanding from the experience.

Astro
01-22-2013, 13:03
I have heard that his hiking partner was Fictional. A way for him to vent his inner ID. Anyone know for certain?

Katz is supposed to be real, and is referred to other books of his.

The Old Chief
01-22-2013, 14:31
I was reading my just arrived copy of AT Journeys Magazine and saw a book review of "The Appalachian Trail, Celebrating America's Hiking Trail" and saw that the forword was written by Bill Bryson. I received a copy of this book in October but only looked at the pictures and put it aside to read another day. I think many posters on this site will come away with a different opinion of Bryson if they take the opportunity to read the forword he wrote for this book. I don't see where he will make one penny from the sales of the book and he clearly states that Katz and he failed to hike the trail. The last paragraph of the foreword eloquently states his appreciation of the Appalachian Trail.

Kaptain Kangaroo
01-22-2013, 17:14
Yes, a great book with some fantastic images. The foreword by Bill Bryson is also very good.

It always make me laugh when people criticize A Walk In The Woods by comparing it to other books by hikers about their trail experience. Hikers write books that are only of interest to other hikers. I have a shelf full of books about AT thru hikes written by hikers..... I think they are great, but to be honest, the writing in almost all of them is pretty average & it is only my trail experience that makes me appreciate them.
Bill Bryson writes comedy travel books that are popular with the general public. Like most writers in this genre, while there is a core of truth in his writing, he does highlight the stereotypes & use some exaggeration... But who doesn't when they are telling a funny story ??

rocketsocks
01-22-2013, 18:47
I was reading my just arrived copy of AT Journeys Magazine and saw a book review of "The Appalachian Trail, Celebrating America's Hiking Trail" and saw that the forword was written by Bill Bryson. I received a copy of this book in October but only looked at the pictures and put it aside to read another day. I think many posters on this site will come away with a different opinion of Bryson if they take the opportunity to read the forword he wrote for this book. I don't see where he will make one penny from the sales of the book and he clearly states that Katz and he failed to hike the trail. The last paragraph of the foreword eloquently states his appreciation of the Appalachian Trail.A friend gave this book to me for Christmas, really nice book!

Wise Old Owl
01-22-2013, 19:27
Oh it was a work of FICTION! glad to see you are better!

Another Kevin
01-23-2013, 14:21
I thought that Katz was Bryson, and the narrator is someone else... :)

Anyway, it's a funny book, once you get over the idea that Bryson never lets the truth get in the way of a good story. Some people never do.

Sugarfoot
01-23-2013, 15:05
I met a guy in New Hampshire in 2000 and we hiked together for a while. He is mentioned by his real name in Walk in the Woods because he is one of the few people Bill did not insult. He assures me that Katz is all too real and not an exaggeration. He also says that Bill phoned him the next year wanting to hike some more, but he declined the invitation.

rhyolite
02-09-2013, 20:11
I find it most interesting how many people have read Bill Bryson's Walk in the Woods, especially those who have no intentions of hiking it. It is also interesting what people take away from reading it. I enjoyed his humor and historical background on the trail, but walked away with a very negative impression of the AT. The majority I've spoken to about this book state that they found it humorous. Some of the most disturbing things where human destruction to the forest over the centuries, by introduction of various diseases, deforestation, mining, development, pollution, etc. Add in the psycho stockers who've senselessly murdered random hikers over the years, and some of the not-so pleasant towns along the way, left me with a big question of why I'm hiking the AT. I've decided however, to experience the AT first hand, make my own conclusions, and use it as valuable experience for hiking the PCT and CDT in the near future.

slbirdnerd
02-09-2013, 21:48
I'm nearly finished with the book and find myself stuck in a paradox. Good writing, very entertaining and yes I am learning from it. However, I do find the constant negativity and cynicism to be, well, a bit of a buzz kill.

Del Q
02-10-2013, 00:18
So, I think that this is my 999th post, for Bill Bryson, good use of a cool number.

When I 1st read this book I put it down, was seeking advice and info not humor..............when I got through all of the other books, I re-read Walk in the Woods and I too, laughed out loud. Great read.

I had spent some time on the AT by that point and better understood. Bill Bryson is an excellent author, have read several of his books. Deep thinker.

Then I started hearing about Robert Redford & Paul Newman doing a movie based on the book.

My trail name, Del Q, is from the movie Jeremiah Johnson

Agree 100% with the above comments that this book seriously raised the aeareness of the AT