PDA

View Full Version : Privy question

bigben
01-16-2013, 20:44
Do any of the shelters between Standing Bear and Hot Springs have privys? If so, which one(s)? My guidebook is a little dated. Thanks

HikerMom58
01-16-2013, 20:51
All of the shelters have privys!

aficion
01-16-2013, 20:56
All of the shelters have privys!

Uh..not in GSMNP.

Mountain Mike
01-16-2013, 20:57
Uh..not in GSMNP.
Smokies are south of OP's question.

HikerMom58
01-16-2013, 20:59
Uh..not in GSMNP.

In the section he asked about, they do! Hey, don't mess with me... I just got my NEW A.T. 2013 Guide book. JK...:D

Southerner
01-16-2013, 21:27
Sorry if this is slightly off-topic since it's not addressing the privy, but if you stay in shelters, I would try to plan to avoid Walnut Mountain Shelter in that section. The site, privy, and spring are all fine there, and it even has a decent view 0.1 miles south from a small bald, but the shelter itself is extremely "rustic" and had one of the worst mice infestation problems I experienced on the entire trail. There are, however, good tenting spots behind the shelter if the location works well for your plans.

bigcranky
01-16-2013, 21:31
We stayed at Walnut Mountain on a section hike one year, early March. We were the only ones there. The view is really nice. The shelter floor was in rough shape, though. Didn't see any mice, but it was a few years ago.

HikerMom58
01-16-2013, 21:37
I stayed at Walnut Mountain Shelter but not IN the shelter. It does have great places to tent or hammock. :) It's beautiful!

It has a bear cable.. that's where I hung my clothes bag instead of my food bag... Duoh!!

aficion
01-16-2013, 22:19
In the section he asked about, they do! Hey, don't mess with me... I just got my NEW A.T. 2013 Guide book. JK...:D

Sorry Mom.....my bad.:confused::confused::confused:

Slo-go'en
01-16-2013, 22:32
I stayed at Walnut Mountain Shelter but not IN the shelter. It does have great places to tent or hammock. :) It's beautiful!

It has a bear cable.. that's where I hung my clothes bag instead of my food bag... Duoh!!

It used to have a bad bear problem - maybe cables have reduced the risk. I always camp a few mile north, but that spot can have 4 wheeler problems...

bigben
01-16-2013, 23:07
Thanks all. Just doing that section this may, and after HAVING to stay in shelters the last 2 sections in GSMNP, Im looking forward to my tent this season! Will probably tent at the first two, then before garenflo gap, then at Sunnybank nite 4.

HikerMom58
01-16-2013, 23:13
Sorry Mom.....my bad.:confused::confused::confused:

No worries aficion.. I still lub ya! :)

It used to have a bad bear problem - maybe cables have reduced the risk. I always camp a few mile north, but that spot can have 4 wheeler problems...

That's for sure Slo-go'en.. there were all kinds of warnings about bears written all over that shelter. Talk about graffitti...looking at it and reading it all- scared the beejeebers out of me.
We didn't see or hear any 4 wheelers at that shelter but at Flint Mt. Shelter... 5 am in the morning- yup a 4 wheeler goes zooming by... :eek:

Papa D
01-16-2013, 23:33
Just did that section - - the worst mice were in Spring Mountain Shelter - they didn't get anything but rummaged around all night. I actually tented under a fly at Walnut Mtn. so maybe the mice would have been active there too but Spring Mtn. mice were comical running through spaces with missing chinking - doing mouse acrobatics and so forth.

Coffee Rules!
01-17-2013, 01:36
We didn't see or hear any 4 wheelers at that shelter but at Flint Mt. Shelter... 5 am in the morning- yup a 4 wheeler goes zooming by... :eek:

As opposed to 5 a.m. in the evening? :p

**Ducks for cover**