PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hilke training program

honu
06-03-2005, 01:28
Quit wearing deoderant and cologne/perfume.

Wear the same clothes day after day and wash them no more than once a week (except rinsing socks out daily is permissible).

Limit showers or tub baths to no more than one a week. (However, sponge baths and swimming are allowed as often as you want.)

Cut your lawn using a push mower while wearing hiking clothes and full pack, preferably while it’s very hot or raining. If you don’t have a lawn, find someone who will pay you to cut their’s and put the money earned in your hiking kitty.

Stop driving your car/taking public transportation and walk and hitch everywhere. Put the gas/fare money saved into your hiking kitty. Better yet (if you have a car), get storage insurance on your car and add the money saved on insurance to your hiking kitty. Or sell the car and use the proceeds to help pay for the hike.

If you reside in a house, live six days a week in your child’s old playhouse, a storage shed, or other outbuilding. If you live alone, consider living in the outbuilding seven days a week, renting your house, and using the income to increase your hiking kitty. If you live in an apartment or condo, have all the utilities except water shut off and add the money saved on utilities to your hiking kitty. Additionally, spend most of your time while home on your balcony (if there is one) or (if there is not) try to find a place outside most nights to stealth camp.

I’m sure you can improve on my training ideas and come up with other ones. :)

Moon Monster
06-03-2005, 09:04
Put on your hiking clothes and backpack and stand under your shower for 10 hours. Make sure only the cold water is on. I recommend a regimin of repeating this every day for 8 days and then taking two days off before starting again.

gr8fulyankee
06-03-2005, 10:41
Quit wearing deoderant and cologne/perfume.

Wear the same clothes day after day and wash them no more than once a week (except rinsing socks out daily is permissible).

Limit showers or tub baths to no more than one a week. (However, sponge baths and swimming are allowed as often as you want.)

Wow, the guy in the cube next to me must be training to be a thru hiker!
Except he has also put a little red dot on his forehead, I think it maybe a place maker for a headlamp. :-?

squirrel bait
06-03-2005, 11:17
When your done standing in the shower with full pack, exit the bathroom and nail the door shut. Donate the food in your cupboards to a local shelter, you may keep the ramens. :(

Ford Prefect
06-03-2005, 17:45
Wow, the guy in the cube next to me must be training to be a thru hiker!
Except he has also put a little red dot on his forehead, I think it maybe a place maker for a headlamp. :-?
Brutal .... but funny! :jump

TOW
06-03-2005, 18:40
Is this what is wrong with me? I've went from living as a hobo on the trail back to this living as productive member of society? Horsecrappy! Thankyou for redirecting me here, I am going to begin living here in society as if I were in the woods and on the trail. Of course I've had a few round here already accuse me of that? I wonder what do they mean exactly?

Dances with Mice
06-03-2005, 21:03
Walk up to no less than 5 strangers each day and ask them at least three of the following questions:

What is their destination?
Where dd they spend the night?
What is their hometown?
Where is the nearest source of water?
Are they happy with the brand of shoes they're wearing?
Have they heard a weather report recently?
Do they have any extra candy?

fiddlehead
06-03-2005, 21:14
just hike!

Panzer1
06-04-2005, 01:40
There is nothing you can do that completely prepares your body for carring a heavy pack up and down mountains, except carring a heavy pack up and down mountains.

However, every thing you do to prepare yourself physically, counts for something. It may not count for much, but it counts for something.

Panzer

The Hog
06-04-2005, 06:21
Slap on some headphones with bird songs (including whipoorwills at night), water rushing, peals of thunder, blabbing thrus, misquitos buzzing in your ear, and the sound of your own footsteps. May I suggest the soundtrack to North To Katahdin? Wear this 24/7.

One Leg
06-04-2005, 14:09
Put on your hiking clothes and backpack and stand under your shower for 10 hours. Make sure only the cold water is on. I recommend a regimin of repeating this every day for 8 days and then taking two days off before starting again.

Don't forget to squirt liquid soap and/or shampoo all over the shower floor, in order to make it as slippery as possible. It would also help if your shower floor were tilted/angled, so as not to have a flat "stable" surface.

Also, scatter the kids' toys all over the shower floor, and coat them with liquid soap/shampoo as well.

Affix several toilet brushes and/or wire brushes to the wall, so that it sticks out and whacks you in the head/face whenever you turn around.

With too much time on my hands,
Scott