PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Up My Thru-Hike Gear List! Need Comments!

ParkRat09
01-16-2013, 22:55
Hey guys so I am just about to finish up my gear list for my Mid-March thru hike and I would love to get some opinions on it. Thanks! Btw everything in red is what I don't have yet that hopefully the owner of my gear shop will hook me up with at the upcoming outdoor retailer show!

q-tip
01-16-2013, 23:03
It will be very helpful for you to weigh everything in your pack, then start cutting.......

ParkRat09
01-16-2013, 23:11
It will be very helpful for you to weigh everything in your pack, then start cutting.......

Well everything I currently owned I have weights for on my computer but I don't have everything I'll be taking yet

treesloth
01-16-2013, 23:36
ParkRat - I only have a few hundred miles under my belt (at least with a pack on my back), but I know the best way I figured out what gear works for me is to go on a multi-day shakedown. Opinions are great, and there is no shortage of them on this site.... but what works for someone else may not (or just plain won't) work for you.

Papa D
01-16-2013, 23:42
Had a hard time opening the file. I did see a pre-made :"Adventure Medical Kit" you could ditch that - make your own kit in a zip lock bag - latex gloves, 2-3 Dr. Shoals blister pads for the first 100 miles, some paper coaches tape, some ibuprophen, asprin, a needle, a lance, and some alcohol and you're done. I see most people way way way overpack the folllowing:

first aid kits
water pumps (just use aqua mira or bleach)
clothing (if you can't wear it all at once with a spare pair of socks it's too much)

ParkRat09
01-16-2013, 23:43
ParkRat - I only have a few hundred miles under my belt (at least with a pack on my back), but I know the best way I figured out what gear works for me is to go on a multi-day shakedown. Opinions are great, and there is no shortage of them on this site.... but what works for someone else may not (or just plain won't) work for you.

Well I have been backpacking for nearly 20 years now so I have my stuff dialed in pretty good but I was hoping to get some insight for a thru hike

thebrewguy
01-16-2013, 23:56
You don't need a pillow or trowel. Try extra clothes in a stuff sack for a pillow. Try a stick instead of a trowel. You have 6oz for pack cover & liner. I use a cuben fiber pack cover and trash compactor bag for liner, total of 3.3oz. Check out Zpacks for cuben gear

thebrewguy
01-17-2013, 00:00
Looks pretty good overall. What case are you using for the IPhone? And how do u plan to charge it? I just got a Lifeproof case for my 5. Kinda pricey but its perfect for the trail

ParkRat09
01-17-2013, 00:02
Looks pretty good overall. What case are you using for the IPhone? And how do u plan to charge it? I just got a Lifeproof case for my 5. Kinda pricey but its perfect for the trail

Well I've been told that it lasts 15 days when on airplane mode so shouldn't have to charge it much. I'm bringing the cable so I'll just charge it when I go into towns. The guy I'm starting with also has a solar charger. Not sure about the case yet. It'll prob be a lifeproof tho. We sell lots of those at my gear shop

treesloth
01-17-2013, 00:06
Gear list posts usually come from newbies from what I've seen here, sorry for assuming otherwise...

ParkRat09
01-17-2013, 00:08
Gear list posts usually come from newbies from what I've seen here, sorry for assuming otherwise...

Haha no worries man! You're right about that anyway. My experience making an AT thru list is non-existent even tho I've been backpacking for a long time lol

G-FOURce
01-17-2013, 00:31
You don't need a pillow or trowel. Try extra clothes in a stuff sack for a pillow...

Sleeping without a pillow may work for some but its definitely not for everyone. I personally cannot sleep without a pillow or something akin to a pillow. Clothes stuffed into a sack or another article of clothing doesnt work at all for me and would ruin my hike as I would never sleep. I currently use an REI Lite-core sit pad as a pillow. I fold it in half and it works like a champ.

G-FOURce
01-17-2013, 00:37
Haha no worries man! You're right about that anyway. My experience making an AT thru list is non-existent even tho I've been backpacking for a long time lol

Ditto! I have been backpaacking for 20+ years and have never set foot onto the AT. Thats probably why I am so geeked up for my section hike with my son. I have backpacked tons of miles in AL, GA, TN, SC, NC, VA, WV, CO, UT, WY, MT, ID, and WA but havent hiked an inch on the AT at all.

msupple
01-17-2013, 01:04
Sleeping without a pillow may work for some but its definitely not for everyone. I personally cannot sleep without a pillow or something akin to a pillow. Clothes stuffed into a sack or another article of clothing doesnt work at all for me and would ruin my hike as I would never sleep. I currently use an REI Lite-core sit pad as a pillow. I fold it in half and it works like a champ.

I'm with you...I use this one and love it. http://www.rei.com/product/766035/cocoon-ultralight-air-core-pillow

Cat in the Hat

LynnMT
01-17-2013, 12:54
Hey guys so I am just about to finish up my gear list for my Mid-March thru hike and I would love to get some opinions on it. Thanks! Btw everything in red is what I don't have yet that hopefully the owner of my gear shop will hook me up with at the upcoming outdoor retailer show!
My husband and I hiked the Coast to Coast Walk in England a year ago. He had a Marmot Mica jacket and just about froze to death in 8 days of rain. It leaked like a sieve. We stopped along the way at an outfitter and he bought a Marmot Precip jacket. When we got home, he sent the Mica in and they gave him credit. He got one of their goretex pack lite jacket. We will see?

G-FOURce
01-17-2013, 13:03
I'm with you...I use this one and love it. http://www.rei.com/product/766035/cocoon-ultralight-air-core-pillow

Cat in the Hat

i have that same pillow that i keep in my computer backpack for work travel. i was actually at REI and going to buy two more of those when i stumbled upon the sit pads. i went with the sit pads b/c they have more versatility, weigh less than 1/2 ounce more, and were on sale for $12.93 so i could get two for the price of one pillow. i tested them as a pillow in the store before i bought them and they work great!

CarlZ993
01-17-2013, 14:26
My husband and I hiked the Coast to Coast Walk in England a year ago. He had a Marmot Mica jacket and just about froze to death in 8 days of rain. It leaked like a sieve. We stopped along the way at an outfitter and he bought a Marmot Precip jacket. When we got home, he sent the Mica in and they gave him credit. He got one of their goretex pack lite jacket. We will see?

Similar incident with less rain. My Mica jacket delaminated while on a 185 M hike along the PCT this past summer. I sent it back to Marmot (from the store I bought it from) & they sent me GoreTex Minimalist jacket. Much heavier than the Mica.

ParkRat09
01-17-2013, 23:31
Similar incident with less rain. My Mica jacket delaminated while on a 185 M hike along the PCT this past summer. I sent it back to Marmot (from the store I bought it from) & they sent me GoreTex Minimalist jacket. Much heavier than the Mica.

Hmm that doesn't sound promising lol. I have a Gore-Tex Paclite but it weighs 15 ounces! I also have a Gore-Text Active Shell (Arc'teryx Beta FL) but it's a $500 jacket which I AIN'T bringin even though I would LOVE to be able to use it on the trail

Joker4ink
01-20-2013, 03:29
Looking at clothing list, are those (x2) and (x3) items in addition to what you are wearing? If that's the case, you can leave behind a pair of socks and underwear.

Switch from bladder to Gatorade bottles

Possibly bring: bug spray, 8 feet of mason line for a clothesline (only a few grams, cheap, available at any home improvement store), dollar store camera tripod (mine weighs 1.17 oz).

Ditch the trowel. Trekking poles work fine.

Plenty of other knife choices. Under $25 and will be lighter. My Leatherman Style CS is 1.47oz and there are other ones lighter.

I do not see: toilet paper, a lighter, extra headlamp batteries, some sort of Dr. Bronners or soap, and a bear bag & rope

TNman
01-20-2013, 07:20
Looks like you have put some real thought into your choices. I think the Helle knife is overkill, no pun intended. As suggested in previous post, a small Leatherman will meet most of your needs.

Papa D
01-20-2013, 08:59
Why a leatherman? Just the lightest little knife- a
razor blade is enough.

Son Driven
01-20-2013, 09:06
Sleeping without a pillow may work for some but its definitely not for everyone. I personally cannot sleep without a pillow or something akin to a pillow. Clothes stuffed into a sack or another article of clothing doesnt work at all for me and would ruin my hike as I would never sleep. I currently use an REI Lite-core sit pad as a pillow. I fold it in half and it works like a champ. After having spent the last 10 hours hiking with 30 pounds on your back, you will sleep, pillow or no pillow. If not hike 12 hours the next day, and you will sleep for sure.