PDA

View Full Version : Flying in from the East

i_Hike
01-16-2013, 23:12
I am starting the JMT on May 30th, 2013 from Happy Ises - Yosemite. I will be flying out from Boston.

Does anyone have advice on the best approach to take? Easiest to fly to San Fran, Sacremento, Reno, other ?

Once in California, is there public transportation from any of these cities? Bus, train?
Can I rent a car?

Thanks for any info

Cookerhiker
01-16-2013, 23:23
The last time I flew was for a trip to Yosemite in July '11 and I chose to fly into Reno. My recollection was that the airfares were competitive but the car rental was substantially cheaper in Reno because apparently the Nevada taxes are lower. I suggest you compare on-line using Kayak.com or similar search engine and price out the differences between SF, Oakland, San Jose, Sacramento, Reno.

But you're thruhiking, right? So a car rental seems like a waste. If you fly to Oakland, you can take AMTRAK to Yosemite Valley Via Merced (I think the last leg is a motorcoach). From Reno, you can get a bus to Lee Vining and then the YARTS bus into Yosemite Valley. But I'm not sure what the YARTS schedule is like in May; it's possible that service only runs on weekends until June or even July. If YARTS doesn't run, you could take a chance on hitching.

Sorry I don't have time now to give you the website links but if you join the JMT Yahoo Group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/johnmuirtrail/), you'll find a wealth of information on logistics.

So are you flying on May 29, spending the night at the backpackers campsite, and starting your hike the next day? How are you on high-elevation hiking?

Cookerhiker
01-16-2013, 23:26
I just remembered - if you're arriving May 29, the east entrance up through Tioga Pass may not be open yet - depends on the snow year. So you'd better figure on flying to CA and taking AMTRAK.

Dogwood
01-17-2013, 00:06
I am starting the JMT on May 30th, 2013 from Happy Ises - Yosemite. I will be flying out from Boston.

Does anyone have advice on the best approach to take? Easiest to fly to San Fran, Sacremento, Reno, other ?

Once in California, is there public transportation from any of these cities? Bus, train?
Can I rent a car?

Thanks for any info

I flew into San Fran AP on my first JMT thru. From the SF AP took a short local SF bus ride to the Amtrak Station in San Fran or you can go to the Amtrak station in Oakland. Take Amtrak to Merced where you will connect with a YARTS shuttle to Yosemite Valley(YV). You can buy the Amtrak and shuttle tickets separately or buy them as a combo and save a few bucks. Check out Amtrak and/or YARTS for the combo ticket. The YARTS lets you off at the Backpacker's area CG in YV where you can camp for the night for I think $10. It's very near the Happy Isles TH. There's also a free bus in YV that picks up near the CG and drops off at a stop at HI TH. The CG is within a short walk of the Back Country Office where you can pick up your JMT thru-hiking permit, rent a bear canister, and get the latest JMT conditions info. The CG is also near the Ahwahnee Hotel(check it out!), showers(ask), WELL STOCKED grocery store, laundry, a PO(mail some of your gear there so you don't have to haul it all with you as you travel from the east coast, check open hrs though, I think they are open on Sat. ), OK YV gear shop, and various restaurants/food service establishments. It's also near the IMAX which usually has some cool adrenaline pumping adventure packed movie showing. Also, it's near the Ansel Adams Art Gallery and a National Park exhibit covering history, Geology, flora, fauna, etc. of YV.

Try to time your arrival into Merced so you can connect with the YARTS shuttle into YV. The last one to YV from Merced leaves about 5 or 6 p,m. If you miss the last YARTS shuttle to YV you'll have to stealth camp in Merced or get a room in Merced until the next day to connect with the YARTS. The YARTS picks up in MERCED at the Amtrak Station. Get YARTS schedules by doing a web search. You can also get to the Merced Amtrak station from Oakland(right across the bridge from San Fran) by taking a bus. See what works best for you based on your flight arrival time into SF AP. Try getting into SF AP early in the day!

Hole-In-The-Hat
01-17-2013, 01:22
Another alternative is to fly into Merced, and take the YARTS bus from there. I did this last year, and it worked well. I considered flying into SF then taking Amtrak to Merced, but there was only something like 30 minutes between Amtrak arrival and YARTS departure - I didn't want to take that risk.

wcgornto
01-17-2013, 01:54
Another alternative is to fly into Mammoth airport via Los Angeles. Horizon (Alaska Air) has year round service. This is what I am doing. It is convenient for YARTS on the front end to Yosimite and Crest on the back end from Lone Pine. The May start could be an issue though.

Dogwood
01-17-2013, 03:03
Personally, I would be careful with the renting-a-car-at the AP to get to TH idea on the JMT. It works excellent for getting hiking quickly but leaves you with the issue of leaving it somewhere while you hike, and paying for it while you are not using it, having to get back to the car(probably near your starting TH) after your hike, which in the case of a JMT thru could be an issue, or turning it back in somewhere that may not be so convenient to your starting TH. When turning a car back in, NOT at the original place where you initially picked it up from, it can entail additional financial costs. But, if you go the rent a car route I'll leave the logistics up to you.

If I was finishing at the Whitney Portal Parking area outside of Lone Pine, and didn't have a car to return, I think it may be a bit logistically easier to fly out of Reno or LA rather than heading back to San Fran.

Although I've never flown into/out of Merced, that could save some time(I think it's the closest AP to YV) and logistical complications. It may cost a bit more to fly into Merced than the larger International APs in the area though. If you know your modes of travel, connections, make your connections(which IS NOT DIFFICULT PROVIDING your arrival time in SF is before noon, preferably before 10 a.m.), you will get to YV the same day you arrive in Cali. I flew from Hawaii to SF AP and got to YV the same day when arriving on an early morning flight. I got the next to last daily YARTS shuttle to YV at Merced Amtrak station. Another time, flying into SF AP from Newark NJ, on an afternoon flight I didn't make it to YV in the same day. That time I stealthed in a park in Merced near the Amtrak station until the next morming where I got the first YARTS to YV. You could also totally abandon the thought of getting to YV the same day you arrive in Cali by spending a night at a hotel or stealth camping in transit to YV. That might work because you might want a day or some time to recoup from your traveling before hitting the trail. Personally, if you've never been to YV I would take a day to soak some of it in.

Here's another piece of advice. Take the Mist Trail near Happy Isles to the top of Nevada Falls where you will connect with the JMT proper. You'll see the treail signs. It's more scenic and REALLY isn't a major alternate(LOL, you will not miss much on the JMT proper from HI TH to the top of Nevada Falls) but it is, IMO, more scenic than the official JMT to the top of Nevada Falls. The Mist Trail goes right along side Vernal Falls via stone steps.

If you haven't been to the top of Half Dome(HD), you can camp a couple of miles above Nevada Falls on the JMT at a "Official" CG(often very busy with umpteen touristy types) or camp near the HD spur and JMT junction(look around in the brush for some camp sites off to the right of the JMT!, SHH, don't tell anyone) to make a quick EARLY EARLY MORNING trek to the top of HD to watch the sunrise before continuing on the JMT. Not sure if it is still alowed or was allowed when I did it but I've slept atop HD. If you don't go up HD SUPER EARLY expect to be part of the masses. Summiting HD is THE THING TO DO in Yosemite NP that everyone wants to brag about to all their friends and realatives.

i_Hike
01-17-2013, 08:33
Thanks for the info guys! As of right now I think I'm planning on flying into San Fran May 28th, might stay a night there, take Amtrak to Merced next morning and finish with YARTS to YV. Stay at campground on the 29th and start hiking the next morning.

Worried about YARTS bus. Is there any way to finds out when it starts to run? Or just wait to see what snow fall looks like in a few months?

Cookerhiker - what do you mean by high elevation hiking? The altitude or the snow? Honesty have little experience with either. But then again that's why I want to come out to he Seirras instead of play around on Mt Washington and the Whites again this summer. Have Tom Harrison's maps, probably a GPS, micro spikes, and a snorkel for stream crossings, ha , should be all set right?
More seriously, how much time would you recommend for getting acclimated to altitude?

Cookerhiker
01-17-2013, 08:57
Thanks for the info guys! As of right now I think I'm planning on flying into San Fran May 28th, might stay a night there, take Amtrak to Merced next morning and finish with YARTS to YV. Stay at campground on the 29th and start hiking the next morning.

Worried about YARTS bus. Is there any way to finds out when it starts to run? Or just wait to see what snow fall looks like in a few months?

Cookerhiker - what do you mean by high elevation hiking? The altitude or the snow? Honesty have little experience with either. But then again that's why I want to come out to he Seirras instead of play around on Mt Washington and the Whites again this summer. Have Tom Harrison's maps, probably a GPS, micro spikes, and a snorkel for stream crossings, ha , should be all set right?
More seriously, how much time would you recommend for getting acclimated to altitude?

I'm talking acclimation to elevations much higher above sea level. Everyone has their threshold which has little to do with your conditioning. So maybe you'll have problems adjusting, maybe you won't.

My example: when I started the JMT in '06, we hiked from Yosemite Valley up to Sunrise Camp the first day - 13 miles from 4,000' up to nearly 10,000' before dropping down to 9,300'. And I felt fine...the first day. Next morning, I was wasted. This trail journal link (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=157094) is to that second day when I had to stop for the day at Tuolumne and let my partner go ahead. When I hiked the Colorado Trail in '11, it took me 3 days to get acclimated.

If you do a search in the forums for JMT and PCT, you'll find threads and lots of advice on acclimation. One piece of advice for you is don't do as I did and hike up to 10K that first day i.e. settle for lesser mileage and camp around Cloud's Rest. I know it's only 6.5 miles but you'll have hiked up over 3,000' to get there. And drink lots of water from the moment you arrive in California.

CarlZ993
01-17-2013, 13:37
If you're going to hike the JMT in late May, you better carry an ice ax. And know how to do a self-arrest. You're going to experience a lot of snow. There will probably be some route finding issues (trail under snow pack) as you head up to and down from some mountain passes (now which one is the pass? the one on the left or the one on the right?). When the NoBo PCT hikers hit the Sierras (typically around mid-June +/-), they pick up their ice ax at their resupply at Kennedy Meadows. Also, be prepared to deal with some possible stream fording issues (snow melt runoff).

Dogwood
01-17-2013, 13:45
You should go to the www.YARTS.com site for complete YARTS info. You are looking for the Hwy 140 schedule from the Merced area to YV. I was curious myself, so I looked it up for you. It looks like it operates yr round but the schedules change on May 14 to include additional trips to YV. Here's the link for the May 14 to Sept 30 Summer 2012/2013 schedule.

http://www.yarts.com/schedule/2012/2012-04-17%20HWY%20140%20Summer%202012.pdf

Dogwood
01-17-2013, 14:04
Oh, forgot to mention some other possibly worthwhile things to do within walking distance of the Backpacker's CG or by taking that free hybrid bus around YV: Curry Village(buffet(get your chow on pre-hike!), laundry, showers, storage lockers), Yosemite Falls(walk there along the base of the escarpment, should be flowing nicely in late May, it's iconic Yosemite NP, look/listen for Blk bears near the paved walk, they are attracted by all the food smells at the various food service establishments), El Capitan( you'll be near there on your walk to Yosemite Falls, cool to eyeball climbers on the face, should be some with binoculars or telescopes in the field below El Cap watching climbers), Bridal Veil Falls(you could walk but take the bus to get there sooner), AND, oh, that National Park exhibit I mentioned near the IMAX also has info about John Muir's travels around the Yosemite area(that's kinda cool to take in pre-JMT thru-hike!). One more note. If sending anything to the YV PO send it USPS PRIORITY MAIL!

i_Hike
01-17-2013, 16:40
Thanks DogWood!

Carlz- I've read a bunch about people bringing ice axes, though many have said they wished they didn't. Is the trail technical to the point where an ice ax would even be handy, even when covere in snow? Maybe I am overlooking it, but I struggle to envision a situation where I would be in need of one. Are there areas with severe vertical ascents? I thought they rely heavily on switchbacks out west.

of course if there is light snowfall over the next few months i dont imagine this should be much of an issue

Coffee
02-04-2013, 18:26
For my JMT thru hike this summer I plan to fly into SF/Oakland, take Amtrak/YARTS to Yosemite Valley for the start of the hike. Once I get to Lone Pine after the hike I will likely take CREST up to Reno for the flight home. For the return flight, I plan to book on Southwest for the most likely return date and the nice thing is that SW won't sock it to me with change fees if I have to alter the return trip (although the flight itself may end up being pricy...)

burger
02-04-2013, 18:52
Here's what starting in late May means: at higher elevations, the trail will likely be completely snow-covered**. This means you will have to navigate for miles each day over snow with no sign of the trail. It mean that where the trail traverses steep slopes, you may need an ice axe to self-arrest (stop a fall if you should slip). Late May is early enough that there may not even be good tracks to follow in some parts of the trail.

Given your lack of experience in snow travel and the fact that you're going alone (from what I could gather), I'd suggest postponing your trip if possible. If not, then definitely get an ice axe. Be sure that you can navigate with map and compass or GPS. And plan to bring extra food in case your daily mileage is not what you had intended. The JMT is passable in June, but it will be some work.

**The current snowpack is normal for this type of year, but that could change between now and May, and that will determine how much snow you face on your trip.

i_Hike
02-04-2013, 19:54
86% of normal as of today. I understand that if it there is heavy snowfall during Feb and Mar it will be closer to a cross country skiing trip, in which case I probably won't do the JMT this year. Backup plan is to hike out East. maybe do the AT from mt Washington to Khatadin. as that was my favorite part of my SoBo AT thru hike. Yes, that would suck, but we'll have to wait another two months to find out.

Also not hiking alone. I plan on carrying GPS.

Malto
02-04-2013, 21:24
One of the easiest ways to fly/transport is to go into Reno then that the Esta bus to the start and then back to Reno. It would take a couple of buses either way but it's easy. Check out eastern Sierra transit authority. You will have to hitch down from Whitney portal but that a piece of cake.

Another alternative is to get a car go to the valley, hike then take either esta or hitch back to yosite. I did an easy combination of both.

Dogwood
02-04-2013, 23:05
I've done the Reno to Yosemite Valley(YV)/Sierras/Happy Isles TH route and from Lone Pine back to Reno three times. BEWARE! Check the times and days of travel going between Reno, YV, and LP. Last time I checked the CREST bus goes once a day and operated on a weekday schedule only not operating on, I think, W or Th. If you fly into Reno on a day the CREST bus isn't on schedule for you might get held up a day or two. I think it's the same thing getting from LP back to Reno. I got stuck once in LP until Mon intending to take the CREST back to Reno. I wouldn't want to wait around LP for two days! I hitched instead. Beware if you don't get the right bus and/or miss a transfer in Mammoth Lakes you could get stuck a day or two there(ML) too. Another thing, plan on most of a day getting from Reno to YV or from LP to Reno. And, as gg-man notes, Eastern Sierra Transit Authortity scheduling should be checked out to make sure all your transfers go smoothly. It's really not a big deal just some heads up to be aware of. Not hard to get from/to SF AP, LAX, or RENO AP provided you do a bit of homework.

The snow season has a LONG way to still go. Lots of things can happen between now and the end of May. Melt off, late snow, temp swings etc. The Sierras will get some more snow before late May! Although, typically, snow melt in late late May/throughout June SHOULD be in full swing but every yr's conditions are not the same! Too early to know with any great significance what trail conditions will exactly entail until May/early June 2013 though. IMO, just keep an eye on it through postholer and possibly some calls to YNP Ranger/Back Country Offices and adjust accordingly as you near your start dates. It's just the way things happen in the Sierras on the JMT.

PCTers have to keep an eye on Sierra trail(snow, fords) conditions too and they'll be starting at the Mex border before all you JMTers start at HI TH so you all might want to see what the PCT sites have to say about Sierra conditions before giving it a final "go." You might want to contact some of the PCT Trail Angels/Supporters who will probably be at the PCT Kick-Off about current trail conditions for when you'll be heading out. Some of them do an excellent job evaluating this yr's Sierra conditions for various Sierra entry times. Do factor in though PCTers enter the Sierras from the South going north (for NOBOers). You JMTers are going SOBO through the Sierras. Typically, the mass of NOBO PCTers hit the Sierras in late may through late June. You JMTers will be starting at a lower elev at HI TH and working SOBO into the higher elevations of the JMT. Good Luck. Happy hiking. The JMT is a GREAT trail. One of my Top 3.