PDA

View Full Version : Spam

kyletak
01-17-2013, 03:06
Hey everyone,
Just curious as to how people cook their spam while on a long distance hike (that is, if you cook it at all). My father was born in Hawaii so I'm very accustomed to eating spam in various different meals. Spam musubi has been one of my favorite snacks growing up. I'm planning to do several section hikes of the AT and have been considering bringing some spam along with me for a couple of meals. I own a one egg wonder pan and could certainly bring that, however I'd rather not. I'm not overly fond of eating spam cold straight from the can/pouch, however I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea. Could you wonderful people here at WB please elaborate on the various methods you use to prepare meals with spam (i.e cooking it in the pot with Mac and Cheese or mashed potatoes). Anything to help me get an idea of how to prepare a meal with spam in it so I don't have to eat it cold from the pack would be greatly appreciated.

starbright
01-17-2013, 06:22
I don't know of alot of recipes with spam as far as on the trail. Love it cooked with pineapples. Also good fried with tomatoes and onions. What is spam musubi would love to try it. Would you share the recipe.

starbright
01-17-2013, 06:23
Forgot to add the tomatoe sauce with the tomatoes and onions.

Rocket Jones
01-17-2013, 06:51
YouTube video on how to make spam musubi (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNL5YTsEJno). One of our favorite lunches for day hikes.

Turk6177
01-17-2013, 08:52
Mmmmmm Spam....I loved it for lunch in a tortilla with miracle whip packets. I also loved it cut up and put into either mashed potatoes or mac and cheese. That was one of my favorites! I never did cook it.

4Bears
01-17-2013, 10:23
I enjoy Spam right from the packet or fried in a sandwich with mustard. To fry it out on a hike, you can take along a couple wood kabob skewers and cook it over a small fire. If you have a canister stove you can turn it down and use a piece of foil resting on it as a disposable pan, there is definitely enough fat in it to keep it from sticking.

Giantsbane
01-17-2013, 12:14
I enjoy Spam right from the packet or fried in a sandwich with mustard. To fry it out on a hike, you can take along a couple wood kabob skewers and cook it over a small fire. If you have a canister stove you can turn it down and use a piece of foil resting on it as a disposable pan, there is definitely enough fat in it to keep it from sticking.
That is a great idea!

A friend of mine gave me 10+ cans of spam for my first long distance solo hike and I made the mistake of repacking it from the cans to vacuum seal bags. It turned grey within a few days and I had to bury it.

Hikes in Rain
01-17-2013, 13:13
Ah, Spam! Man's first successful attempt at making meat jello.

Spam and eggs (reminds me of camping with my parents as a kid)
Spambolia
Spamburgers
Moo Gu Gi Spam
Spam and Beans
Spam and Rice
Spam and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese - the best pink and orange meal you'll ever eat

Que the Monty Python Spam song!

Del Q
01-17-2013, 21:38
At the end of a long day, SPAM with pita bread and "requisitioned" mustard packets is a winner............occasional fire, great, grill or toast it up.

Add cheese, excellent.

To me the mustard makes the meal...............semi-funny story, on my way home from my last section hike, was in NH............took AMTRAK back home, bought some food........they had Gray Poupon mustard packets as free condiments.

Weird thing, when I got home there were like 8 of them in my backpack............guess I will save them for my next Section hike

YUMMY!

SCRUB HIKER
01-18-2013, 00:02
Have you thought about Lobster Thermidor au Crevette with a Mornay sauce served in a Provençale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle paté, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam? It's one of my backcountry staples.